Disney Dirty Pool

I work in a small office and my employer just opened his own firm 4 years ago. The expense was considerable, so while he pays us a very fair rate, he feels badly that he cannot offer more money yet. He does make sure we are all happy though, and he goes out of his way to be sure our conditions are comfortable and that we are all not overwhelmed.

The problem is that your example doesn't scale. With a small company, keeping the employees happy is possible. It gets harder the more people you have working for you. When you get to the size and diversity and cultural backgrounds of the work force the size of WDW's (which is after all the single largest one-site employer in the US), keeping all your employees happy all the time is impossible. Even if you raised the minimum WDW to $15/hour, or even $20/hour, you'd still have people saying they were not making enough money. In fact, given the size of their workforce, you'd have lots and lots of people still saying that after the raises. No one forces anyone to work for WDW. If they don't like the pay or conditions, they are welcome to work elsewhere. Period.

The problem is that your example doesn't scale. With a small company, keeping the employees happy is possible. It gets harder the more people you have working for you. When you get to the size and diversity and cultural backgrounds of the work force the size of WDW's (which is after all the single largest one-site employer in the US), keeping all your employees happy all the time is impossible. Even if you raised the minimum WDW to $15/hour, or even $20/hour, you'd still have people saying they were not making enough money. In fact, given the size of their workforce, you'd have lots and lots of people still saying that after the raises. No one forces anyone to work for WDW. If they don't like the pay or conditions, they are welcome to work elsewhere. Period.
That's the piece that often gets overlooked. If you raise the minimum wage folks to $15, all of a sudden the old $15 folks are unhappy. If you raise them to $20, then all of a sudden the other $20 folks are unhappy.

Disney paid a $250 Bonus (Not the $500) this past Thursday to Non Union Cast Members and to Union Cast that's not in Contract negotiations. About 44,000 Cast Members are being affected that did not get the Bonus. Also Disney changed the Bonus to $250 instead of $500 that was previously reported. Disney plans to pay the rest of the $750 in the Fall Months to Cast Members who are on the payroll at that time.

The Unions are awaiting word from the NLRB on the Unfair Labor practice charge against Disney. The other thing interesting is the 44,000 number also includes Disneyland and Walt Disney World Cast Members

I understand that my example is for small businesses, however I do believe that if the company mindset is that folks should be glad they have a job, and there is no consideration for those employees, there is going to be unintended consequences. Now I am not suggesting that everyone gets $15 per hour, and I am nto suggesting that every employee needs to be able to be singing happy songs. I am suggesting that if a company forgets that if the face of their company is miserable their customer base is going to sense that there is trouble in paradise.

The problem is that your example doesn't scale. With a small company, keeping the employees happy is possible.
However, that doesn't mean that it's impossible for larger employers to keep their employees "happy"... being a small shop only means that it can be easier. While it's clearly not possible to keep every employee happy when you have ten of thousands of workers on your payroll, outside surveying does reveal that employee "happiness" varies greatly even among large corporations. Here's one such survey from 2017. Note that even corporations with lower average salaries can have "happy" employees. It's not just tied to money.
No one forces anyone to work for WDW. If they don't like the pay or conditions, they are welcome to work elsewhere. Period.
Quite frankly, a LOT of them are doing just that.

If they don't like the pay or conditions, they are welcome to work elsewhere. Period.

I like people who throw statements like this around as if they live in an entirely different reality. There aren't enough employers in Central Florida to take everyone that works at Disney and give them jobs. People simply also can't pull up stakes and move to take a different low playing job somewhere else. People who are willing to work full time should be able to make a decent wage. I'm sure nobody blinked at Bob Iger making $44 million dollars in 2017, but the people actually in the trenches want a few more bucks to make a decent living and shame on them, I guess -they should just quit and go work somewhere else. Give me a break.

That's the piece that often gets overlooked. If you raise the minimum wage folks to $15, all of a sudden the old $15 folks are unhappy. If you raise them to $20, then all of a sudden the other $20 folks are unhappy.

Some people will be unhappy with pay or their job no matter what happens. That shouldn't stop things from moving forward if they need to. Nobody really likes taxes but that doesn't stop the government from collecting them.

I like people who throw statements like this around as if they live in an entirely different reality. There aren't enough employers in Central Florida to take everyone that works at Disney and give them jobs. People simply also can't pull up stakes and move to take a different low playing job somewhere else. People who are willing to work full time should be able to make a decent wage. I'm sure nobody blinked at Bob Iger making $44 million dollars in 2017, but the people actually in the trenches want a few more bucks to make a decent living and shame on them, I guess -they should just quit and go work somewhere else. Give me a break.

What I'm trying to say is that these people KNEW what the pay was when they went to work for Disney. They were also not told they would "magically" be making more after a certain time period. If I were to take a job knowing I wouldn't be able to pay my bills/feed my family/whatever, is the fact I can't do those things my fault, or the fault of the company who hired me? I don't think you can take a job and then complain that you can't make a living at it. You knew what it was when you took it. It wasn't like it was a surprise.

And yes, I do live in a different reality. I live in the reality where I know how much money I need to make, and work my butt off to make sure I do. And have been doing so for 30+ years. When times have been tough, I've never once thought it was the responsibility of my employer to raise my salary. I knew what it would be going in.

1) Other companies are giving bonuses due to Trump Tax Break, regardless of upcoming employee raises.
2) ONLY DISNEY is putting terms/conditions top the money.
I’m not well versed on all things financial, but I’m of the opinion that if a corporation is getting an ongoing tax break year after year shouldn’t wages be increased rather than a one time bonus?

I was thinking the same thing, usually pointless in saying it to the "no one is forcing you to work for X ... Go work somewhere else if you don't like it" as if that is actually an option for most people, let alone for all the people working in minimum wage jobs. Then they say "well get a better education and get a better job" as if there aren't a ton of people with degrees and advanced degrees working minimum wage jobs because that's what is available, or as if its as easy or possible to just "get a better education" for people working as much minimum wage time as they can just to make ends meet.

I’m not well versed on all things financial, but I’m of the opinion that if a corporation is getting an ongoing tax break year after year shouldn’t wages be increased rather than a one time bonus?
Many corporations are doing both. I know I read about Walmart and FedEx doing so, maybe others. Some companies are choosing to upgrade infrastructure, increase retirement or leave contributions, hire more employees, etc.

And yes, I do live in a different reality. I live in the reality where I know how much money I need to make, and work my butt off to make sure I do. And have been doing so for 30+ years. When times have been tough, I've never once thought it was the responsibility of my employer to raise my salary. I knew what it would be going in.

Sorry to hear that you never thought you were entitled to a salary increase, even yearly for cost of living increases. Adjusted for inflation, wages have been flat or even decreasing for many segments of the population since the 1970's. We're entering the first generation where kids are likely not to be better off financially than their parents. How hard people are working is unrelated to that. As a whole, U.S. Workers are more productive than ever and making less money.

Disney paid a $250 Bonus (Not the $500) this past Thursday to Non Union Cast Members and to Union Cast that's not in Contract negotiations. About 44,000 Cast Members are being affected that did not get the Bonus. Also Disney changed the Bonus to $250 instead of $500 that was previously reported. Disney plans to pay the rest of the $750 in the Fall Months to Cast Members who are on the payroll at that time.

The Unions are awaiting word from the NLRB on the Unfair Labor practice charge against Disney. The other thing interesting is the 44,000 number also includes Disneyland and Walt Disney World Cast Members

Just plain sleazy.

"To support this new approach there are three organizational changes planned, with a target “go-live” date of April 1. As usual, these are subject to local consultation requirements where necessary."

This caveat was in a change announcement today from a multi-national enterprise, that I work for, announcing a minor reorganization. The caveat covers unions, and job councils, and various other regional authorities on work place conduct. This type of caveat is in nearly every announcement, because a company never knows for sure what obstacles will raise up even when the best intention is behind the move. Not every job council out there sees any move as a positive one.

In the Disney announcement of the bonus the following caveat appeared for many of the same reasons, note the federal law angle:
"In keeping with applicable federal law, the Company will work with union representatives regarding potential distribution plans for employees currently working under existing union contracts."
Source: https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/12...es-new-50-million-higher-education-program-2/

The members of UNITE HERE think it is time NOW to agree to a plan to raise to $15 an hour. And they are very vocal about it. We have a press release from UNITE HERE saying Disney won't pay, and even a lawsuit to lend credence. We do not have any response from Disney, and none is likely. Disney will let union membership see that union leadership is stonewalling thereby keeping money out of their pockets for a long term gain.

Bottom line for me is we do not see both sides of the negotiation. Nor will we ever. I hope housekeeping gets 15, but know too that the raise in prices and reduction in quality to support it means I won't go back. The Parks arm of the company will not lose any net income as a result of union negotiations. Thinking of not going back, the point has already passed for me of financing a return due to college costs of three young adults. So the question is moot, really.

Don't believe everything you read.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter