Disney Dream January 22, 2018 - 4 Day Bahama Cruise

Welcome to the group Kevin!
:welcome::welcome::welcome:
Let me start with letting you know I have been exactly where y'all are. Our boys have been very young, tweens, teens, and now, one, is an adult when we sailed with Disney. So, we have gone through the transition with both boys (from not signing themselves out to having that freedom). We also have sailed before on board texting and with it. Our experience has been much like you describe - Not very dependable. We will continue to give the app messaging the benefit of the doubt, and give it a try on the first day. If we see no improvement on day one (leading up to dinner), we will revert to the wave phone. Side not on the wave phone (and other safety guidelines)...On the way to the boat, we take the time to read the cruising contract, we are required to sign before boarding, with the boys. We make sure to emphasize that we will be responsible for any damage that is a result of something anyone in our traveling party did or does, and if anything happens to the wave phone, there will be a $250 charge to our account (I think, it may only be $200), and if one of the boys was responsible for the damage they will be responsible for that charge. At the time we are talking to the boys about the contract, we also give them the speech that goes as follows: If you, at any time, aside from being up on the pool deck area, you find yourself going from a carpeted area to a metal area beneath your feet, STOP, Turn around, and Return to the carpet. The only time you can go 'Back Stage' (meaning anything that is not a guest area) is if you are doing so under the direction of a cast member. ~This suggestion is of course based on the idea that you have previously gone over the safety with adults / strangers topic~ We also explained that if for any reason, we get a call about them from a cast member, punishment is sure to follow (imagine this being said with a serious mom face and with that 'LOOK'.
Okay, back on topic....
When it comes to testing the waters (pun not intended) of maturity and responsibility, I can't think of any better place to do it than on a Disney cruise. Yes, they can find trouble, but there is so much positively engaging fun for them to use their energy on, that if you feel that you can trust them, that they should be safe. I also would not worry about any deep water swimming or high diving.
A few suggestion that have helped us feel comfortable with the test of freedom are:
1) We require everyone dines together for breakfast and dinner. This helps everyone get a good start to the day, and a time to catch up in the evening...side note, this was difficult for me because we are a very tight nit family and enjoy spending time together, so only connecting twice a day took some getting used to.
2)When the boys were first transitioning in to this new freedom, they had to call us when ever they planned to leave one place to go to the next. Keep in mind one of the activities done in Edge is a scavenger hunt in which the counselors send the kiddos out into the far reaches of the boat to find different items, or accomplish different tasks. This is a time when I witnessed several kids running about, causing some kind of trouble. At younger tween ages, our boys were not allowed to participate in that.
3)A rule that we still hold the boys to (well our 21 year old is in his own room, so this no longer applies to him) is they can not go to the cabin with out first contacting us, and getting permission. They are not allowed in anyone elses cabin, period. Again, a place I have seen teens causing problems is when they are running up and down cabin hallways.
4)My last suggestion is one that we have our boys adhere to at home as well. If the phone rings, pick it up. If the boys would not pick up when we called, they would loose the freedom to sign themselves in and out.
And, of course, every rule has it's punishment if broken.
These are just a few suggestions that have worked for our family. They have helped us all to enjoy ourselves and given the boy an opportunity to have a little more freedom. I hope this helps.

~Tink~

Thanks for the reply and great information. We actually created a "contract" that our son has to sign that is both fun AND serious about the rules and his responsibility...and he seemed very responsive and positive!

Excited to be with you all next week. We don’t have much snow on the ground but I’m ready to sit on a beach!

Ahoy! We are looking forward to celebrating our 25th Anniversary on our 4th DCL cruise!!! We just booked the cruise “last minute” last week. We would love to join in on the fish extender fun. Where do we find the signup?

Wonder: 2007 | Dream: 2013, 2017, 2018 :earsboy:

Excited to be with you all next week. We don’t have much snow on the ground but I’m ready to sit on a beach!
Welcome to the group stan1541!
I agree with you on being ready for the beach. This has been a record breaking cold year for us. The trip can not get here fast enough!

~Tink~

Ahoy! We are looking forward to celebrating our 25th Anniversary on our 4th DCL cruise!!! We just booked the cruise “last minute” last week. We would love to join in on the fish extender fun. Where do we find the signup?

Wonder: 2007 | Dream: 2013, 2017, 2018 :earsboy:
Welcome to the group TheLyonsDen!
The FE group has already closed, but there is a Pixie Dusting group I can sign you up for. If you can make 9 more posts (they don't have to be anything really big, hi, post 8, I have previously sailed on....just small things like that). The DIS board's rules require you to have 10 posts before the private messaging is opened. And I prefer to handle anything that may contain personal information (such as cabin numbers), through private messaging.

~Tink~

Welcome to the group TheLyonsDen!
The FE group has already closed, but there is a Pixie Dusting group I can sign you up for. If you can make 9 more posts (they don't have to be anything really big, hi, post 8, I have previously sailed on....just small things like that). The DIS board's rules require you to have 10 posts before the private messaging is opened. And I prefer to handle anything that may contain personal information (such as cabin numbers), through private messaging.

~Tink~

Thanks Tink!

We're celebrating our 25th anniversary at Remy's Tuesday night. First time eating there... any suggestions?

We love great red wines. What is everyones favorite during dinner rotation? Also, any favorite locations for the best wine?

Any star gazers out there? Where is the darkest part of the Disney Dream that would be best to see the stars? I wish they would do a night time tour of Castaway Cay for star watching. #DarkSkies

This will be our first time mid-ship on deck 7. Usually aft on deck 10. Last cruise in April got a little rocky back there so we are giving this a try.

One our favorite times is sitting on the balcony/veranda with coffee while pulling in to port at Nassau. What are your favorite quiet times on board?

Anyone else watching the weather?

I have been checking daily for any changes. I have been watching the Dream come and go on the Fishlips webcam as well!!!

We're celebrating our 25th anniversary at Remy's Tuesday night. First time eating there... any suggestions?

Our 25th was this past year. Congratulation to you. We haven't tried Remy's mainly because it hits several of my allergies, but I have heard that everything is wonderful.

We love great red wines. What is everyones favorite during dinner rotation? Also, any favorite locations for the best wine?

I bring my favorites with me. I pour myself a glass before heading up to dinner. When we do buy on board, it most definitely would be in Palo.

Any star gazers out there? Where is the darkest part of the Disney Dream that would be best to see the stars? I wish they would do a night time tour of Castaway Cay for star watching. #DarkSkies

I am following this question as well. I would like to find a nice place to just sit and enjoy. That is aside from our veranda in the back of the boat.

One our favorite times is sitting on the balcony/veranda with coffee while pulling in to port at Nassau. What are your favorite quiet times on board?

This will be our first cabin in the rear of the boat, so we are actually planning to have breakfast on the veranda as we back into Nassau. Aside from that, we enjoy sitting and watching the vessel dock at Castaway. Sitting on the veranda after we return from our time at Castaway watching everyone enjoy themselves is a good time as well.

Okay, off to send you a PM.

~Tink~

Good Morning and Hello from the Wallace family in Kentucky!

We will be enjoying our third Disney cruise and second aboard the Disney dream on this sailing and I to cross paths with many of you on board the ship.

I did have 2 questions, one of which is directly related to this post...

1) Has the onboard texting through the Navigator app improved over the past year or two? Our first cruise on the Disney Dream was prior to the release of the Navigator app and on our second cruise on the Fantasy back in Jan. 2016, we experienced a number of text messages with our friends that travelled with us that either didn't go through at all or were delayed sometimes upwards of an hour. Thought maybe some of you more seasoned cruisers might have some feedback or recommendations.

2) We have an 11 going on 21 son who will for the first time be able to jump between the Oceaneer Club and the tween club Edge. We were debating allowing him to check himself in and out and to move around onboard the ship (within reason and according to certain guidelines). We will be providing him with a phone and the Navigator app (hence the question above in terms of text reliability), but would love to have feedback, recommendations, tips/tricks, etc. that might help us with our nightmares that he'll end up in the ocean or the brig.

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts...14 DAYS!!!

Thanks...Kevin

I wanted to say hi to you, Kevin, and welcome!

:welcome:

Bobbi:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter