Disney eliminating plastic straws

We tried paper straws - once. They fall apart too easily. He even chewed through a silicone straw. I have no issue tossing a package of 100 plastic straws in our backpack. In the grand scheme of planning with disabilities, it's one of the smaller annoyances. Just something else to add to the checklist.

But plastic straws are completely banned from Animal Kingdom and have been for its entire history. They don't allow them or balloons in for the safety of the animals. A metal (stainless steel) straw might work best for your son's needs!

But plastic straws are completely banned from Animal Kingdom and have been for its entire history. They don't allow them or balloons in for the safety of the animals. A metal (stainless steel) straw might work best for your son's needs!

Metal straws can fracture teeth when they get chewed on by kids who have a habit of doing so. Also, when you drink really cold drinks with them, the straw gets TOO cold and feels like an ice cube on your lips.

Silicone straws are a better option.

How about Eco Straws?
https://www.ecoproductsstore.com/compostable_straws.html

These are compostable and not made from plastic. For Animal Kingdom, you may need to have the packaging on hand to prove they aren't plastic because I have used this brand at various places and they do indeed look like plastic and feel like plastic. Overall, I think they may be a good choice, but as always your mileage may vary. The link I have posted may actually be too many for what you need as that site is aimed towards food service, but it shows they are available. The big difference is I tend to find them to be a bit more durable than plastic straws, but they should not fracture teeth if chewed on. They are compostable and affordable enough to be able to be single use.

There are also compostable flex straws available:
https://www.amazon.com/Repurpose-Compostable-Plant-Based-Straws-Count/dp/B07897C152?th=1

I have not had the occasion to use these particular straws, but they look good and are not plastic.

Once again, Animal Kingdom may be an issue as they look like plastic, so I am truly not sure if they would any of these in Animal Kingdom or not, but it would be much safer for the animals with these around than it would be with stainless steel straws if one dropped into an enclosure.

Also, something that no one mentions about stainless steel straws in that in order to properly clean them you have to use the included brush after every use, which means carrying both the straw and brush everywhere.

This is by no means an exhaustive list, just look enter the following for a search: "Compostable Straws" without the quotes into any search engine or on Amazon and you will get a very large amount of results, some will be paper and for some reason adding -paper also eliminates some of the ones that look and feel like plastic.

That being said, Disney hasn't said they aren't going to provide straws nor have they said what they are going to provide, just that they will not provide plastic ones.

Hopefully all of this helps someone who needs "plastic straws" going forward, as these would be affordable (at least more affordable than silicone straws, which have their own issues), so if they get chewed through, no big deal, replace it with another. You can even get ones that are individually wrapped if you so desire.

A little off topic, but this has made me wonder, what does Starbucks use in Animal Kingdom for the Frappucinos? You need a straw to be able to drink those and a paper straw wouldn't hold up, so I am assuming they have a solution there as well.

JMHO (Just My Honest Opinion)
From what I have read on the Disney Blog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
"The change will account for the elimination of more than 175 million straws and 13 million stirrers annually, according to a post on Disney Parks Blog, and will impact the company’s theme parks, cruise line operations and hotels globally. Tokyo Disney Resort, which is operated by the Oriental Land Company, is the only property not included in this ban."
"Paper straws will be provided upon request"
I like the change and think it's a good step in the right direction to reduce plastic consumption .
I do however empathize with parents needing plastic straws and hopefully with the media attention this issue is getting people will be informed and provide their own if needed.
Starbucks in AK provide a green thick paper straw for their drinks,,at least they did last March 2018.

Hugs Mel

Last edited:
How about Eco Straws?
https://www.ecoproductsstore.com/compostable_straws.html

These are compostable and not made from plastic. For Animal Kingdom, you may need to have the packaging on hand to prove they aren't plastic because I have used this brand at various places and they do indeed look like plastic and feel like plastic. Overall, I think they may be a good choice, but as always your mileage may vary. The link I have posted may actually be too many for what you need as that site is aimed towards food service, but it shows they are available. The big difference is I tend to find them to be a bit more durable than plastic straws, but they should not fracture teeth if chewed on. They are compostable and affordable enough to be able to be single use.

There are also compostable flex straws available:
https://www.amazon.com/Repurpose-Compostable-Plant-Based-Straws-Count/dp/B07897C152?th=1

I have not had the occasion to use these particular straws, but they look good and are not plastic.

Once again, Animal Kingdom may be an issue as they look like plastic, so I am truly not sure if they would any of these in Animal Kingdom or not, but it would be much safer for the animals with these around than it would be with stainless steel straws if one dropped into an enclosure.

Also, something that no one mentions about stainless steel straws in that in order to properly clean them you have to use the included brush after every use, which means carrying both the straw and brush everywhere.

This is by no means an exhaustive list, just look enter the following for a search: "Compostable Straws" without the quotes into any search engine or on Amazon and you will get a very large amount of results, some will be paper and for some reason adding -paper also eliminates some of the ones that look and feel like plastic.

That being said, Disney hasn't said they aren't going to provide straws nor have they said what they are going to provide, just that they will not provide plastic ones.

Hopefully all of this helps someone who needs "plastic straws" going forward, as these would be affordable (at least more affordable than silicone straws, which have their own issues), so if they get chewed through, no big deal, replace it with another. You can even get ones that are individually wrapped if you so desire.

A little off topic, but this has made me wonder, what does Starbucks use in Animal Kingdom for the Frappucinos? You need a straw to be able to drink those and a paper straw wouldn't hold up, so I am assuming they have a solution there as well.

Starbucks is going away from staws too. They now have a lid that looks like a sippy cup.

Did anyone notice they are going to get rid of plastic (shopping) bags too? I don't mind reduceing the use but if it's a no bag kinda thing I guess I'll be sending every little thing to the resort.
In addition, over the next few years we’re transitioning to refillable in-room amenities in our hotels and on our cruise ships, reducing plastics in guest rooms by 80 percent. We will also reduce the number of plastic shopping bags in our owned and operated parks and on our cruise line, offering guests the option to purchase reusable bags at a nominal price. Finally, we will complete our work to eliminate polystyrene cups across our global owned and operated business.

*Cough Wonder why mini vans aren't EVs/plug in Hybrids charged off solar.....*cough

Last edited:
Did anyone notice they are going to get rid of plastic (shopping) bags too? I don't mind reduceing the use but if it's a no bag kinda thing I guess I'll be sending every little thing to the resort.

love that bit about the reusable bags being available at a "nominal" price. do you think disney understands what that word means? I have nothing against using reusable bags, but I will be very surprised if disney doesn't price them ridiculously high.

*Cough Wonder why mini vans aren't EVs/plug in Hybrids charged off solar.....*cough
They didn't say the parks are going to get rid of plastic bags, just that they are going to offer reusable bags for a nominal fee. With the prices they charge, they should be able to provide them for free though.

And I agree about the Minnie Vans, they should be EVs and charged by solar and wind power, Florida is ideal for this. They also need to have many more every chargers on site.

Yep and that lids uses more plastic than a straw does. They eventually want to move to compostable cups and lids, but at present it is a step backwards in this case.
Cups and lids have always existed. Sippy lids eliminate the style of plastic item used by 50%. Not the actual amount of plastic, but every bit helps.

Can't do everything at once. I hate the attitude of well, why do this when this other thing is still bad. Baby steps are better than no steps.

There will definately be those who will need to plan around this to account for specific needs, but I love this change overall. It could be worth asking Disney they will be providing items such as straws for those that have an actual need for them. Seems like it would fit into a disability plan. If not, I'm sure bringing your own is a fine option.

What's a disability plan? You're not thinking of a school plan, IEP, right?

It's not just about plastic straws, but also a lid on drinks that the straw goes through. My 28 year old son will spill every drink if he has to drink out of a paper cup without a lid and straw. Yes, I can bring my own straws, but they won't do any good unless the cup has a lid on it. I am going to contact guest relations to see what kind of substitute they are going to have for people who can't drink out of a regular cup without a lid and straw.

My guess is they will tell you to bring along a cup he can use successfully, and have you transfer his drink to that. Lots of people do that at the parks anyways - we use the refillable mugs that way each trip.

we bring along a camelback with the bladder full of ice water. small purchases already go in there and we routinely tell cashiers not to bother giving us a bag. our local tourist trap beach front tacky souvenir shop has recently gone to reusable canvas bags for all purchases. it is fairly large but is thin enough that I can easily fold it up into my messenger bag for quick stops elsewhere.

Can't do everything at once. I hate the attitude of well, why do this when this other thing is still bad. Baby steps are better than no steps.
It's fine, it really is I was just poking fun... especially because they are moving to mostly do things that will save them money (or maybe be a wash) AND be good for the environment..but if it's being green at a cost to them? They don't seem to be moving on that very much lol. I get it, a 7 seat EV is hard to come by and a fleet of model X's would wipe out the profit and/or make the price to high to swallow.

Also yes to those of you pointing out they aren't getting rid of all bags, I read that some bags will still be around but the way it's worded leaves alot of possibilities open, giving you the option to buy a resusable bag doesn't necessarily mean you'll be able to get a plastic one..it just means you can buy a resusable one...we'll see.

Last edited:
We tried paper straws - once. They fall apart too easily. He even chewed through a silicone straw. I have no issue tossing a package of 100 plastic straws in our backpack. In the grand scheme of planning with disabilities, it's one of the smaller annoyances. Just something else to add to the checklist.
be prepared for them to be refused at Animal Kingdom at bag check. they will even take the straw from juice boxes. plastic straws not allowed in the park so you could loose all 100 straws as you will be forced to throw out or not come into park. this included a removable straw from a sippy cup which we had to throw away

be prepared for them to be refused at Animal Kingdom at bag check. they will even take the straw from juice boxes. plastic straws not allowed in the park so you could loose all 100 straws as you will be forced to throw out or not come into park. this included a removable straw from a sippy cup which we had to throw away

Are they refusing the reusable hard plastic straws, like those that come in some of the Starbucks tumblers? (the kind you don't throw away)

Like these

We bring those to use in our Resort mugs, and I take my Resort mug everywhere I go at WDW (in the cupholder on Angus) so I will be curious to find out if that has changed. Historically, AK has allowed us to bring those kind of straws into the park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter