Disney eliminating plastic straws

A family friend is working for a company in California that is developing a solar battery in sheets as thin as place mats that will go on the top of your car to continuously charge the battery. Disney has enough space that they could have a huge solar farm on their property, on the top of their hotels, covering their parking lots, etc.
They do. In shape of a Mickey head of course
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busi...ness/os-disney-duke-solar-20160412-story.html

That's great! They could still put them on top of their hotels and cover their parking lots, like some in Nevada. The parking lots would be a lot cooler with solar over head. It's not like they have parking garages, except at Disney Springs.

Here is the response I received from Disney World guest services:

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts about our recently expanded commitment to reduce single-use plastic materials across The Walt Disney Company.

Meeting the needs of Guests with disabilities is extremely important to us. As we move forward with this initiative, we are actively involved in discussions with a number of disability advocacy groups to help us identify and develop accessible, alternative options for those who need them. Plastic straws will also be available upon request.

We look forward to sharing more details on this topic soon as we work toward achieving these environmental targets by mid-2019. In the meantime, please know that there are no immediate changes to the current practices followed in our theme parks, and plastic straws continue to be available. As always, for more information on the many services and access options we offer, please visit DisneyWorld.com and search “Services for Guests with Disabilities.”

We greatly appreciate your feedback, Barbara‍, and hope you will continue to enjoy future visits to Walt Disney World Resort. Please be assured that our Guests’ feedback is very important to us and your comments will be shared with the appropriate parties.

I'm already having trouble finding plastic straws to purchase at Target. They have been out of stock recently and we are running out. I think this whole ban is so stupid and based on sketchy statistics. My kids are also autistic and have a really hard time drinking without straws. Those Mickey bendy straws they have at WDW are TOO NARROW and actually harder to use than a regular straw.

We were upset to find out that there were NO straws at either of the water parks, except the Mickey one for purchase, which is stupid because what are we supposed to do with the straw when we are done eating and want to go back to the rides? It ends up in the trash regardless. And I'm sure those aren't recyclable...

They could have at least offered paper straws, but they didn't.
Try ordering a big box or two from Sam's or Costco

I'm kind of curious as to how that all works with making things as hurricane proof as possible. Is there a way to tie them off so that they are one with the building?
No, they would be integrated into the roof of the car, not the roof of the building and would be as hurricane proof as any vehicle is.

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts about our recently expanded commitment to reduce single-use plastic materials across The Walt Disney Company.

Meeting the needs of Guests with disabilities is extremely important to us. As we move forward with this initiative, we are actively involved in discussions with a number of disability advocacy groups to help us identify and develop accessible, alternative options for those who need them. Plastic straws will also be available upon request.

We look forward to sharing more details on this topic soon as we work toward achieving these environmental targets by mid-2019. In the meantime, please know that there are no immediate changes to the current practices followed in our theme parks, and plastic straws continue to be available. As always, for more information on the many services and access options we offer, please visit DisneyWorld.com and search “Services for Guests with Disabilities.”

We greatly appreciate your feedback, Barbara‍, and hope you will continue to enjoy future visits to Walt Disney World Resort. Please be assured that our Guests’ feedback is very important to us and your comments will be shared with the appropriate parties.
I would love it if they would make the plastic like Eco straws that I mentioned before available, even if by request only, as they would be sustainable and should work just as well.

Did you know, it takes the same amount of electricity to produce a single gallon of gas from start to being in your gas tank as it does to power a modern EV for about 45 miles? For a gas car, you use electricity to pump the oil out of the ground, gas to move the oil from the drill site to the refinery (electricity had to be used to produce that gasoline as well), electricity to refine it into gasoline, gas (again requires electricity) to transport it form the refinery to the gas station, electricity to run the station, electricity to pump the gas into your vehicle. This doesn't even factor in the fact that you have to have periodic oil changes in a gasoline vehicle and that there are fossil fuels being burned. These are the dirty little secrets that the oil companies are trying so very hard to hide from you.

Now, as I said before, if the electricity is generated from Solar, it is about as clean as you can get and the vast majority of people who drive EVs charge from solar whenever humanly possible, not from the grid.

Now, are EVs perfect? No, as I said there is room for improvement, with new battery tech, etc., but there are and will remain the cleanest form of powered transportation there is for the foreseeable future.

And how about the energy needed to make those solar panels? Those rare minerals they strip mine for to make the PV panels? The land covered by solar panels that ruin habitats? And there's no way there's enough solar power in WDW to power all their vehicles unless they want to cover every surface and open space. They are using grid electricity, made from burning coal, oil, gas, or nuke. It's not a bad thing to go electric, but it's not the do-all end-all some people make it out to be.

I would love it if they would make the plastic like Eco straws that I mentioned before available, even if by request only, as they would be sustainable and should work just as well.
Rather than just potentially loving it, why not write to Disney and suggest it?

Plastic straws will also be available upon request.

We look forward to sharing more details on this topic soon as we work toward achieving these environmental targets by mid-2019. In the meantime, please know that there are no immediate changes to the current practices followed in our theme parks, and plastic straws continue to be available.

So I'll still be able to get a plastic straw if I request one? I use an ECV, but my disability doesn't necessitate a straw, I just feel better drinking without touching the cup itself. Plastic or paper, it doesn't matter, as long as I can get a straw.

They will not allow you to bring the plastic straws into the Animal Kingdom. They are banned from that park, and have been forever.

Maybe try the steel straws out and home and see if those work.
On our trip in April I went through security holding a refillable resort mug with me to AK twice, both times with a plastic straw sticking out of the sipping hole in the lid. No one said anything to me. I also had a clear gallon sized baggie with disposable straws in my bag, security thoroughly checked my bag and didn't mention the straws.

I have a partially paralyzed lip due to tongue cancer surgery. I drink all hot or cold drinks with a plastic straw. Not having a straw is very difficult for me. A paper straw will not hold up to coffee or tea.

I plan on getting the metal straws, but I question how hot the straw will be with them. I do not have feeling in my mouth, and I am concerned about possible burns.
I will follow Disney’s decision. I don’t want to cause any problems.

Does anyone know if Disney will be selling the metal or silicone straws?
Thanks for your answers.

On our trip in April I went through security holding a refillable resort mug with me to AK twice, both times with a plastic straw sticking out of the sipping hole in the lid. No one said anything to me. I also had a clear gallon sized baggie with disposable straws in my bag, security thoroughly checked my bag and didn't mention the straws.

Then they were messing up on the job, big time. They are dangerous for the animals, which are why they are banned from the park.

Then they were messing up on the job, big time. They are dangerous for the animals, which are why they are banned from the park.

A few weeks back we went in, forgot DS1 had his cup and straw. They immediately stopped us, I pulled the straw out, folded it and headed to trash. They shouldn't be letting any in.

Actually, there are 7 seater EVs that could he used, they are mostly only available commercially, but given it is Disney they could have bought them. There are also EV busses that do about 150 miles to a charge, they charge from empty to full in as alittle as 4 hours and can be configured to charge wirelessly at all stops increasing the daily range to over 275 miles. I know these exist because our city has been purchasing them.

So, why isn't Disney doing this? It would be far more environmentally friendly with no real downsides to the guests.

https://www.laughingplace.com/w/new...y-world-bus-fleet-to-run-on-renewable-diesel/

Disney has invested in renewable Diesel as well as producing their own R50 from food waste created in the parks and resorts. They have their own ecosystem.

My work in the energy industry is in a field adjacent to EVs including the research of EV buses. I appreciate that people want to see a switch, but the life of the current fleet of buses likely makes fleet replacement a poor financial decision. Most cities are in the same situation when it comes to fleet replacement.

Just wondering if anyone there now, or back recently, has experienced any of the new policy not getting plastic straws at WDW (except at AK, which has always had the ban) or not getting plastic bags when they shopped.

I think a fairer compromise to the whole straws debate would be to switch to a type of plastic that is durable in a drink, but will naturally biodegrade like paper and is made of plant, while being made hypoallergenic. I'm sure there's a company out there that's already developing one as straw bans and phaseouts spread like wildfire.

Just wondering if anyone there now, or back recently, has experienced any of the new policy not getting plastic straws at WDW (except at AK, which has always had the ban) or not getting plastic bags when they shopped.

We will be on the ground in less than two weeks! (Sorry, but SO EXCITE AM I) so if nothing else, I can bring back a report! :)

We will be on the ground in less than two weeks! (Sorry, but SO EXCITE AM I) so if nothing else, I can bring back a report! :)

Please do-thanks. But don't wait too long with the report. I'll be there in 3 1/2 weeks.

I was at MK last week for MNSSHP and spent 2 nights at POFQ. There were plenty of plastic straws at MK, POFQ and POR, and Disney Springs!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter