Disney Family Museum

LKing

DIS Veteran
I'm planning a trip to the Disney Family Museum. I'm a California native who has been to SF many times. I've done the touristy stuff, but haven't been to the Presidio since it was an army base. 😲

Our tickets are for the morning. I'm looking for lunch suggestions and anything else that is the vicinity that we should not miss before heading back to the East Bay.

If you've never been over to Fort Point, that view of the Golden Gate Bridge is my favorite. Makes a great background for a personal picture, too.

In the museum, pay particular attention to Walt's backyard train, the sketches for The Old Mill, the original Micky Mouse sketches, and the original EPCOT layout sketch. Tears will come to your eyes, I promise.

Interesting. I have photographed the bridge from Bakers Beach, Marin (Conzelman Rd) and Fort Baker, but never from Fort Point. I'll have to check it out. Thanks.

Interesting. I have photographed the bridge from Bakers Beach, Marin (Conzelman Rd) and Fort Baker, but never from Fort Point. I'll have to check it out. Thanks.

It’s a different angle where it’s looking up. The arch on that side was designed specifically to allow it to be over Fort Point, where there were previous plans to demolish it for the bridge.

As for the museum, there’s now pay parking at the Presidio. Even for visiting commercial businesses there.

If there's any chance you'll be in the area around 5pm, there's a fantastic new restaurant, Dalida, that just opened steps away from the museum. It's one of the best in the city.

Sadly, not open for lunch so if you have no flexibility in your plans, add it to your Presidio shortlist for next time :)

Tunnel Tops park just opened around a year or so ago right across from the museum. It’s beautiful views and worth wandering around after. Even if it’s chilly and foggy, there is an area with a firepit. They have a few food trucks over there too. Cafe Rx is a 15 min walk if you are there on a weekday.

The museum is absolutely wonderful! We were fine with whatever the menus was for lunch there in the museum. I think one of the items was Walt's chili recipe--whether or not it was legit, it was pretty good.

I hope you love the experience as much as we did!:earsboy:

Tunnel Tops park just opened around a year or so ago right across from the museum. It’s beautiful views and worth wandering around after. Even if it’s chilly and foggy, there is an area with a firepit. They have a few food trucks over there too. Cafe Rx is a 15 min walk if you are there on a weekday.

I'm thinking any food trucks would be on Mason Street and not near the parade grounds parking lot. I'm not sure when they would be there, but I've only been there on weekends and saw maybe a couple of food trucks parked on Mason in front of the play structures.

OK - found this:

https://www.parksconservancy.org/services/food-presidio-tunnel-tops

The other advantage of that area is that alcohol is allowed pretty much everywhere. There was lots of beer being consumed at Tunnel Tops. Obviously within reasonable limits and with adequate time for the buzz to wear off. But I'm too cheap to pay for parking and took the 30 Stockton bus there, which stops right where Sports Basement is.

Thanks for all of your advice. We went over the weekend and it was great! We didn't know it was Fleet Week, but got there early enough that parking wasn't a problem. It was a beautiful day. Not a cloud in the sky!

@tiffjoy, is this the area with that you were talking about with the fire pit? @bcla, the food trucks on the left side of the park.

1696902231668.png

1696903157980.png

1696902513219.png

1696902737329.png

1696902856849.png

Thanks for all of your advice. We went over the weekend and it was great! We didn't know it was Fleet Week, but got there early enough that parking wasn't a problem. It was a beautiful day. Not a cloud in the sky!

@tiffjoy, is this the area with that you were talking about with the fire pit? @bcla, the food trucks on the left side of the park.

View attachment 800597

View attachment 800602

View attachment 800598

View attachment 800600

View attachment 800601

I think there are several places where there might be food trucks or possibly tents. I found this from the Presidio Trust:

https://presidio.gov/explore/attractions/presidio-pop-up

PPopUp-LocatorMap-062123.jpg

I was thinking the area around the Outpost Playground below the Tunnel Tops park. The last few times I was there I saw some sort of food truck or maybe trailers set up on Mason Street. Like in this photo:

20221002_TT1stSun-OCT_DJF_OM10004-2-1.jpg

I was thinking the area around the Outpost Playground below the Tunnel Tops park. The last few times I was there I saw some sort of food truck or maybe trailers set up on Mason Street. Like in this photo:
There definitely weren't food trucks down there this weekend. Could be because it was Fleet Week and they were trying to control traffic.

View attachment 800597

View attachment 800600

View attachment 800601
Yes, that was the area. It was so warm this weekend they probably didn’t have it going. A rare day in San Francisco!

I’m glad you had fun!

I'm thinking any food trucks would be on Mason Street and not near the parade grounds parking lot. I'm not sure when they would be there, but I've only been there on weekends and saw maybe a couple of food trucks parked on Mason in front of the play structures.

OK - found this:

https://www.parksconservancy.org/services/food-presidio-tunnel-tops

The other advantage of that area is that alcohol is allowed pretty much everywhere. There was lots of beer being consumed at Tunnel Tops. Obviously within reasonable limits and with adequate time for the buzz to wear off. But I'm too cheap to pay for parking and took the 30 Stockton bus there, which stops right where Sports Basement is.

We’ve been multiple weekends and always found food trucks past the visitor center, in the actual park area. We’ve gotten empanadas multiple times.

We’ve been quite a few times and there’s always been food trucks but it’s always been on the weekends.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter