Disney fanatic but no desire to go on Disney Cruise?

I get that. For us the convenience is worth something but not a ridiculous upcharge. At DL it's typically $350/nt extra for CL and I won't pay it. When it was $100/nt it was much easier to book a room. We enjoy WDW and DL, but want to go to some new destinations, so we don't go as often as we did in the past. And with food included (and convenient) on the ship we haven't seen the need (or been able to pay double the price of a verandah stateroom) to book concierge.

Totally with you—we tried the upcharge to CL at WDW and realized we were paying more for a continental breakfast than a character one. I would maybe try concierge on DCL if cabanas were included in the price and there was a separate pool or better meals but I just don’t see the value for what you currently get.

Just to be clear it's not the ship it's the people.? So your saying you don't like the type people that cruise Carnival. You're better then them?...or think you are?

That was pretty much my understanding of the comment --the other option being that the poster thinks we (DISers Carnival fans chatting on the thread) are not worthy of cruising on the same ship-- ... but I wanted to give that person the chance to define/explain the comment (and give the benefit of the doubt) before jumping to conclusions.

I am very uncomfortable when some people put humans in a different category based on... Whatever their criterias are but budget is very often one of them... I don't base other people values or behavior on their wallet.

That being said, I hope I will get the chance to sail on a "real" luxury line someday (not possible until 2021 though, as I already have 4 cruises booked and 1 Aulani vacation in the schedule until the end of 2020) like Cunard or even The Gauguin or the one that one of my collegues will be doing in Europe that has panoramic view in the cabin... Can't remember the name. :/ ... And compare it to DCL. As I don't find them THAT luxurious.

Actually it seriously declined and then (most likely because of all the complaints) they started offering better food options. We like CL at WDW for the convenience, but are quite happy sailing DCL in a normal cabin.

We have recently started to plan for our next family trip and we are definitely aiming for the Beach Club (or possibly the Yacht Club as we are in love with Stormalong Bay and the Mini-Golf and would love to introduce FIL and MIL to it) and I am debating --with myself-- whether or not I will book a Club Level room as we already have in mind to eat in different restaurants during our short stay... We loved the Yacht Club CL...

Yes totally. I love love love WDW and Disneyland (been to each just once due to cost of parks/flying from Ontario). But I agree with you...there is just something about it...a feeling that I don't get at any other amusement park. There really is magic. Unfortunately the trips cost us about $10K when said and done but I am determined to bring my family back to WDW, at least one more time.

We went on Disney Magic with DH's family when our kids were 2.5 years and 6.5 years. I do get the appeal to families of young kids, especially girls who are in princess stage. Great shows, the theming, activities, characters, etc. But I just didn't feel the magic. Now to be fair, this cruise was with extended family which had lots of annoyances (demanding BIL/SIL at the time with their kids so lots of family dynamic items that put a downer on the cruise). But to us, we are Royal fans...it's not kid centered but family centered with so much to do, especially on the newer/refurbished ships. And it's better for us now that our kids are older. I did price out Disney a few years ago...Fantasy vs Allure and we went with Allure and weren't sorry. We now have 3 Royal cruises booked for the future.

I’m kinda the opposite. I love Disney & used to be crazy obsessed with the parks. I’ve been spoiled by the cruises. The crazy micro-planning 6 months in advance & the thought of navigating the mass of humanity to do anything....I’m over it. Maybe I’m getting grumpier as I get older. LOL!

Yes, this is us. We used to go to the parks for long trips (at least 7 nights) 2 or 3 times a year (driving down from Toronto). After trying cruising, we are completely over the parks. We started with DCL because it was a brand I trusted; I am very happy we branched out to other cruise lines.

It's practically killing me to pay $1000 more for our 7 night Fantasy cruise in January than our 13 night Carnival Sunshine cruise the two weeks before the Fantasy cruise.

That was pretty much my understanding of the comment --the other option being that the poster thinks we (DISers Carnival fans chatting on the thread) are not worthy of cruising on the same ship-- ... but I wanted to give that person the chance to define/explain the comment (and give the benefit of the doubt) before jumping to conclusions.

I am very uncomfortable when some people put humans in a different category based on... Whatever their criterias are but budget is very often one of them... I don't base other people values or behavior on their wallet.

That being said, I hope I will get the chance to sail on a "real" luxury line someday (not possible until 2021 though, as I already have 4 cruises booked and 1 Aulani vacation in the schedule until the end of 2020) like Cunard or even The Gauguin or the one that one of my collegues will be doing in Europe that has panoramic view in the cabin... Can't remember the name. :/ ... And compare it to DCL. As I don't find them THAT luxurious.
How does Cunard compare price wise to DCl I always thought they were comparable.

How does Cunard compare price wise to DCl I always thought they were comparable.

Let's check prices for a Canada/New England cruise of 7 nights with similar dates...

upload_2018-7-4_10-25-42.png

upload_2018-7-4_10-26-47.png

upload_2018-7-4_10-27-56.png

Conclusion:

1,176.00$ USD per person + taxes and fees (for DCL)

vs

950.28$ USD* per person + taxes and fees (for Cunard) *Conversion based on today's exchange

Let's check prices for a Canada/New England cruise of 7 nights with similar dates...

View attachment 334743

View attachment 334744

View attachment 334745

Conclusion:

1,176.00$ USD per person + taxes and fees (for DCL)

vs

950.28$ USD* per person + taxes and fees (for Cunard) *Conversion based on today's exchange
The dcl cruise didn't sell and has been discounted with every discount possible. Before the discount I think dcl would have been more. I've always figured if I can pay dcl prices I won't have a problem paying for Silverseas or Cunard.

I once looked into Cunard for a British Isle cruise since the DLC cruise that year was way too high. The Cunard price was much better but looking around the evening dress code, which was basically formal every night, just didn't fit us.

The dcl cruise didn't sell and has been discounted with every discount possible. Before the discount I think dcl would have been more. I've always figured if I can pay dcl prices I won't have a problem paying for Silverseas or Cunard.

After reviewing the website, I realize that I can afford cruising with Cunard if I want to. It's nice to know that we have that option.

I love WDW and the resorts but have zero desire to go on a cruise--DCL or any other cruise line. Totally unappealing to me. No matter how wonderful it might be, I think I'd feel trapped--not a good feeling!

Wait - is this a thread in the DCL forum lamenting that there is not a desire to go on a Disney Cruise? What? Is this supposed to be a discussion or just trolling the folks who spend money and enjoy their vacation based on their preference.

Are you asking/trying to compare regular DCL rooms with CL rooms at WDW, or concierge WDW rooms?
CL on DCL. We decided to splurge for our upcoming Alaska cruise, mainly because we wanted a 1-bedroom cabin for the extra square footage. But I'm hoping the concierge service feels more special than at the WDW resorts, where it is pretty much nonexistent apart from the existence of the lounges. I did like watching the fireworks from the CL lounge at the Contemporary, and this was in 2014, so the discount made it $100 more than a standard room, which did not have a RO discount available. We did take advantage of breakfast, pre-dinner appetizers and drinks, and desserts each night.

CL on DCL. We decided to splurge for our upcoming Alaska cruise, mainly because we wanted a 1-bedroom cabin for the extra square footage. But I'm hoping the concierge service feels more special than at the WDW resorts, where it is pretty much nonexistent apart from the existence of the lounges. I did like watching the fireworks from the CL lounge at the Contemporary, and this was in 2014, so the discount made it $100 more than a standard room, which did not have a RO discount available. We did take advantage of breakfast, pre-dinner appetizers and drinks, and desserts each night.

On the cruise, concierge can order any food from any of the main dining rooms, not just off of the room service menu. To me that is a good perk.

I haven't cruised concierge, but all of my friends who also do CL at WDW said there is no comparison. They said that DCL is "real concierge" and that it's so much better.

Wait - is this a thread in the DCL forum lamenting that there is not a desire to go on a Disney Cruise? What? Is this supposed to be a discussion or just trolling the folks who spend money and enjoy their vacation based on their preference.

The thread was started on one of the parks boards. A moderator moved it to the DCL forum.

I love cruising and I don't feel trolled. I like hearing from people who don't like to cruise and why.

The thread was started on one of the parks boards. A moderator moved it to the DCL forum.

That's interesting - I didn't realize that so thanks for sharing this info. I think there would be very different responses on the WDW boards. I have friends who love the parks but don't want to cruise - it's not an uncommon thing over there. Posting it here, though, kind of makes it look like someone is trying to poke a bear. :rotfl:

lol I've never understood the appeal of Bingo. There is zero skill involved. Beyond not zoning out (which is what happens if I stare out a window at the ocean, but I digress)

You can't get all of that on other cruise lines. I mean, sure, there's entertainment and such but no Disney movies, Disney shows, Disney music, Disney characters, etc. Do other cruise lines have fireworks on every itinerary? (maybe they do, genuine question, not rhetorical) How about pirate parties? It's perfectly acceptable to not want those things, but if you are looking for those specific thing (ie the Disney flavor), you'll only find it on DCL.

I agree on the bingo, but there's zero skill involved in slot machines yet tons of people will plop down in front of one and feed it money. I fairness, Disney does make their bingo fairly entertaining.

I love WDW and the resorts but have zero desire to go on a cruise--DCL or any other cruise line. Totally unappealing to me. No matter how wonderful it might be, I think I'd feel trapped--not a good feeling!

I can understand that because I don't like to feel trapped either but I can tell you that the ships are so big you don't get that feeling at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter