Disney Fantasy "Wait, weren't we just here?" Let's turn everything upside down!

Mickey.MAC

Mouseketeer
July 21 Disney Fantasy Western Carribean Cruise

Who we are: Me, Disney fan, 44, My wife, and 2 sons ages 4 and 5

43003035024_58c8da717c_m.jpg

42819070795_deae7167e9_m.jpg

Itinerary: Western Carribean 7 night Cruise on the Disney Fantasy leaving from Port Canaveral

Prologue: We went on this Disney cruise in November 2017. Everyone had a great time, and we paid low season price. I wanted to repeat this cruise in the Summer and see if the high season cruise was different. The cost of traveling in the summer was about 100 percent more than November 2017; would the cruise be 100 percent better? Read on! Since we just did this cruise, we planned to do everything differently this time around. New excursions, new food and alcohol choices, new entertainment activities on board. I had prebooked this cruise in November so I hada 10 percent discount for pre-booking, and 200 dollars in cruise credit. I also prebooked unlimited cruise photos before the trip because I hate toting my phone around. I don't even carry the wave phone (which is your onboard cell phone).

My youngest one, aka "mini-me trouble" and beneath that picture is my oldest son:

41914041820_3a01ba2c28_m.jpg

42819065705_82bddb2b80_m.jpg

dateposted-public

Day 1: We arrived at Newark Airport, and went to terminal A. Terminal A is undergoing construction so that they are using portable toilets. All flights were delayed, and I considered changing to an earlier flight so we would not be stuck in the terminal. Because of the expense, we stayed on our flight and were delayed by 1.5 hours. Originally I wanted to leave on a late night flight because the kids have summer camp all day, and the flight was cheaper. But with flight delays, our early flight ended up being late.

We arrived at the MCO Hyatt and checked into our room. The kids were tired because it was past their bedtime. We checked in and had the bellman pick up our bags and deliver them to the room. I wanted to stay at Disney overnight(trying to do the bucket list of staying at the Polynesian), but the practicality of staying in the airport pre-cruise was too tempting. I booked the hotel and flights at the last minute, and lucked out on getting a good price on tickets. Ironically, if I booked the hotel earlier, the price was higher. Sometimes it pays to wait. The Hyatt no longer delivers your bag to the Disney cruise unless you booked the hotel through Disney. So I had to arrange for my bags to be brought from the hotel to the Disney Cruise bus. The hotel room had a broken phone so the hotel gave me free breakfast. The breakfast was delicious. The salmon was more fresh than the salmon they serve on the ship!

Side note: I had a pin code for a Disney Hotel, for a 20 percent discount, but the inconvenience of travelling to the cruise port from Disney World was too unattractive. Plus, my family does not wake up early to take advantage of early magic hours.

Day 2: Boarding the ship.

We arrived at the board and checked in. Our original reservation was a GTY oceanview room. We upgraded to a Verandah room in the aft section, 8th floor, of the ship. Aft is our favorite place to be because it is close to Cabanas. I would have been ok with our oceanview room, but my wife prefers to have a balcony.

It was storming out when we got onto the ship so the pools and Aquaduck were closed. Sigh. The only reason we arrive early on the ship is to play on the pool deck and sigh, it was closed. Everyone crammed into Cabanas to eat. For the record, I am OCD. I hate eating with my hands(also applies to ethiopian food), especially on a cruise, where norovirus and bacteria spread more easily. If you read the title, we had to do everything different on this cruise. So, I picked the crab legs for lunch.

Crab legs are served at every lunch. It takes forever to eat crab legs, and you have to use your fingers to pick the meat out. Don't eat crab if you are hungry, it takes too long to eat! Also, wash your hands real good. On the first day, I ate crab legs, just to do something different, and after that, I avoided them for the entire trip. For the record, I will eat crab legs at home, as long as I am not starving. I went to the Senses Spa to participate the spa raffle. The last 3 cruises I won a prize. As the raffle started, I realized that I did not want to stay and listen to the orientation for the spa services. I wanted to get back to spending time with the family. So i gave up the chance to win a prize to rejoin the festivities on the pool deck with wife and children.

We attended the Sail away party on deck which was scaled down due to wind and lightning. My youngest son, who was in a bad mood all day, perked up during the show, and was disappointed that the show was shortened. We returned to our Verandah stateroom afterwards. Due to the room upgrade, our bags and paperwork went to the original room. I walked to the original room to remind the crew to please deliver our bags and paperwork to the new room.

We originally had second dinner seating, but I requested first dinner seating and got it. Luck? Maybe. Being a Gold Castaway Cay member helped....After dinner in the Royal Court, the family headed to the pool deck where there was still lots of light out. My oldest son and I hit the aquaduck. It was his first time and he was giddy. He told all the kids that it was his first time!We swam on deck and watched funnel vision. On this trip, he was really social, introducing himself to the other kids and arranging impromptu games of Tag in the swimming pool.

It bothered my youngest son that he was not able to follow his brother onto the Aqua duck, and he asked for his birthday to be held on a future Disney Cruise. I told him "yes". The youngest child has such a big heart. Despite the disappointment of being too short for Aqua duck, he told his brother, "I will watch you ride the Aqua duck" and pointed the spot where he would watch. My photos are in random order, but I just learned to post them

42819061415_81e6a33cb6_m.jpg

This trip, we focused on things we never tried. So we did not go to all the broadway shows, and we focused more on Midship detective agency. The detective game brings you all around the ship on a scavenger hunt, mystery game. Along the way, you get to see the different artwork, decorations and architecture of the ship. For adults, you get to take in the beauty of Disney design while the kids get captivated by the scavenger hunt, picking up clues by the animated art which comes to life, and has an interactive component.

That night, we stayed up late(kids normally go to bed at 8 pm), so we rode the aqua duck and watched funnel vision into the late night. Staying up late is quite significant for our kids, because they don't wake up the next day, and can get cranky, but heck, we wanted to turn everything upside down!

Day 3 Sea Day

I initially planned to do brunch at Palo or Remy. But since this trip was for the kids, ahem, I avoided Palo and Remy for brunch--kids are not allowed at the adult restaurants. The one thing I wanted to try(do everything different) was eat at one of the sit down restaurants for breakfast or lunch, but Cabanas was too convenient.

At the end of the Cabanas buffet line is a carving station with prime rib, ham, or veal shank. Every day I stopped by there for a medium rare piece of meat. But since I was trying to be off protocol, I added a mountain of salad to the lunch plan. Also for breakfast, I ate yogurt for the pro-biotics. Disney is making a concerted effort for all guests to wash and sanitize their hands to ward off food poisoning and prevent infections.

Sea Day for our family is basically a day on the pool deck until we get tired. Some people get bored by the pool deck or don't like being out in the sun. For me, I have to be on the pool deck during sea days, especially if the sun is out. In contrast to my winter cruise(in the archives for your reviews) the weather was very warm, and when you got out of the pools, you did not freeze to death. You could also enjoy Aqua Lab, which is a large water play area, without freezing to death.

Our Dining rotation was RAERAAE. So we went to Animators Palate, for the second dinner. Animator Palate is my favorite restaurant because of the theming. On the last night, they animate your cartoons. The food on the disney cruise is okay; to be positive, it is good for cruise food. I assume they have all the food pre-made on a large line, ready to serve. Our servers, Rolando and Anastasia were awesome. They were great people, and great with the kids. As the cruise wore on, fatigue started to show, since the crew members have little time off.

Cozumel Day:

I love the waters off Cozumel. The waters are gorgeous, blue, and crystal clear. Last cruise, we went to Playa Mia. It was ok, but the beach had seaweed, the water was just okay, and the drinks were watered down. I was very irritated that the drinks were watered down, because it reminded me of a bad tourist trap. We put the kids in the Oceaneers club and went into town so my wife could get wifi and send work emails. We walked through the mall at the port and walked north onto the main shopping strip and found an expatriate working at a Tequila shop. She was new to Cozumel, and had left Oregon to follow her boyfriend to Cozumel. As a young millenial, she took the opportunity to travel the world. Ah, the simplicity of being young again, with a flexible life! lol.

I reviewed several excursions but my boys were too young to travel on most excursions. If I come back to to Cozumel, I will do Isla Pasion or rent a car and circumnavigate the island.

43009767444_2180139c61_m.jpg

Taking the Disney cruise, and purchasing a Disney experience is all about value. I constantly shop for the best prices, and study strategies to save money. On the Disney cruise, I know my kids will be relatively safe. If I were travelling without the kids, I would either travel Royal Carribean, or go to a Sandals all inclusive resort. It is hard to leave the kids at home to travel, so for the foreseeable future, many family trips will be on DCL. My wife who hates Disney, opted for the cruise since the weather was better than going to Orlando in July. On the ocean, the breeze makes the weather much cooler. My neighbors went to the parks and they suffered heat, rainstorms, and humidity(not to mention lines galore).

Our next port was my priority, Grand Cayman. I have been here many times, so I wanted to hit seven mile beach. Last cruise, I paid for an excursion to Rum Point beach. The beach was okay, with the catamaran ride to Rum Point being the main highlight. I always get excited pulling into the port at Grand Cayman. As a reef island, we park offshore, and take a ferry to the port. The ferry is a fun ride, and you get to see the ship from the water. Like Cozumel, the water is crystal clear. You are also near the airport, so you can see planes landing. In the summer, Grand Cayman is hot and humid, so I was glad to be on the cruise with the cool ocean breezes. We caught a taxi to Seven Mile Beach, and spent 3 hours playing on the beach. I cannot emphasize how gorgeous Seven Mile Beach is. Rum Point is also okay, but after doing it once, I don't have to do it again... In fact, Disney refunded the cruisers 50 percent of their Rum Point excursion because of the bad reviews this trip.

We wanted to board the boat several hours before on board time because I am paranoid about being left at port. Also, I did not want to get caught in lines waiting for the ferry back to the boat. Being back in Grand Cayman motivated me to return to the island for a longer return stay. There are many relatively cheap options for families to stay, but remember the US dollar has little purchasing power on the island. Food can be a huge expense for US tourists. My spot is always Seven Mile Beach because of the size and beauty of the beach. And I always visit Stingray City to see the stingrays. My kids are too young to be eligible for the Disney excursions, so I will wait a couple years to bring them to Stingray City.

Once onboard we returned to Cabanas. We were there for the end of lunch, and they closed right on time. As I was grabbing buffet food, they were closing the station on me! I noticed that Disney shuts down the buffet a couple minutes early, and the crew have no problems shutting down the station you are in!

The next port was Falmouth. Last trip, I booked the Jewel Beach excursion through Disney. It was very expensive and the value was so-so, and I wanted to do something different. I left the kids in the club and went to do the "Express" Dunns River Falls. I wanted the kids to come but they were too young for the Disney age limits. For good reason, the falls were treacherous. I saw young kids drag their parents down as they climbed up the falls, and the young kids were not having fun. The falls are met for athletic or active people since it is a steep climb on slippery rocks and running water.

The falls were a convergence of thousands of people. Seven Strings of human chains ran up the falls. Multiple cruises and tourists convened to hike the falls. We were supposed to be back at the ship before 1 pm and returned 2 hours late! Jamaica is a special place. It is beautiful for tourists, but there is a high level of poverty and unemployment. It is a stark contrast between the luxury resorts and the poverty that is omnipresent. One thing I learned in the Caribbean is that people may have little money, but the community is stronger and social ties are more important. As the kids get older, I would like to rent a car and explore on my own. Until then, I will use the Disney excursions to see the islands.
In Jamaica, I have previously stayed in Lucie and the Grand Palladium. I would like to return to a Sandals Resorts in Negril or Ochos Rios. I also want to visit Kingston, but I heard it is too dangerous for tourists. The Chinese Government recently helped build a super highway in Jamaica which costs 30 dollars one way. It is an express conduit to get to Kingston. Jamaica was scheduled for Pirate Night. My wife bought pirate outfits for the kids.

On Deck, one song from the funnel vision grabbed my attention. It made me feel good. I looked up and it was "Moana" on funnel vision--I never watched the movie; The title song is so powerful and inspiring. We watched several movies on the funnel vision, some at night. It was interesting to see entire families mesmerized as they watch the Disney movies from the pool deck, or while swimming in the Donald duck pool.

Last edited:
We always go to the Pirate Party but have missed out on the Buccaneer Blast because the kids always go to bed before 1015pm. If you bring your pirate outfits in your suitcase, you can save money, because Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique is very expensive to rent costumes. Even though the pirate menu is weak at the dining rotation, it is great to see the crew dress up. Optional skeleton cups with blinking lights were on sale at dinner, but I passed on buying them. I may probably look at ebay for old souvenirs like the Turtle Crush cup which was also offered on the cruise.

The next day was a sea day. We did not have to wake up early. In the Buena Vista theater they were playing "Incredibles 2". Normally, I hit the pool deck on sea days, but to mix things up, we hit the movie theater at 830 am. Yup, 830 am. The movie was great. After the movie, we went to the pool deck and then to Cabanas. My son showed me his new talent, swimming underwater. Um, where did he learn to do that? My younger son did not want to be outdone so he said "Look! I can dunk my face in water and blow bubbles". He then said "that's all I can do". The little brother always wants to be like his older brother. With the older brother swimming underwater, the younger guy is working harder at his swimming!

For dinner, we took the kids to our first dinner seating but only fed the kids. We had reservations for Palo! We have not been there for several years. The truth is Remy was fully booked. The food was okay but our server Anson was awesome. His service made the Palo dinner great. We spent 2 hours at Palo and enjoyed a date night while the kids were at the club. Anson, our server, said that during this cruise, Palo and Remy were less busy. Our last time at an upcharge restaurant was Remy, which was way more expensive. We also ate at Victoria and Alberts last year, and it was like Remy on land. I did not prebook Palo or Remy because I wanted to be with the kids for dinner!:daisy:

We were on the pool deck until 4pm and returned to the room for a nap. The kids were requesting to watch the Classical Disney Cartoons so I napped while they watched tv. The wife went to do laundry. She took forever to return lol. She went to the far end of the ship where there was a large laundry room with many washers. One night i was ironing my shirt for formal night in the laundry room close to our cabin. There was only one iron and few washers. Many people lined up to use the iron. People kept asking me, are you done yet? When I left, another cruiser bumped into me in the hall and said, "Your iron was off when you were ironing!" I guess I should have known that because I touched the iron and did not get burned.:duck:

We were fast approaching our last day! Man, the cruise flew by. Our favorite port is, drum roll, Castaway Cay. I registered us for the Castaway Cay 5K, a first! I am out of shape and I don't exercise, and I am on vacation. What the heck am I thinking?? Well, I wanted to earn the rubber medals for my kids.

We went to the Walt Disney Theater to meet with the runners. We went to the family section where we were supposed to get off the ship first so we could drop the kids off at Scuttles Cove. When we got onto Castaway Cay, the skys opened up and we were in a monsoon. My youngest one was scared of the rain, and it put him in a bad mood for Scuttles Cove. While we were on the 5K, Scuttles Cove paged us to pick him up. It was muggy after the rain shower so i did the 5K with my shirt off(no pictures, nothing to see). I thought I would give up on the race but I saw so many people working hard at the race that the peer pressure was there to succeed! I never traveled on the bike path for the 5K, a first! It was nice to see the back side of Castaway Cay. Being around avid joggers motivated me to keep running after the trip.

The only problem is I am out of shape. The rest of the day I was exhausted. We picked the kids up from Scuttle Cove and went to Family Beach one. We always go to Family Beach two, but again, we were turning everything upside down. There is a large jungle gym in the water at FB1 so I took the kids there. They were too small to jump into the water, so I let them run around on the structure. My wife thought I was crazy for bringing them to the jungle gym but they were wearing life vests. Since I prepaid for unlimited photos, I was looking for photographers on the beach. Lol, I could not find any!:worship:
I guess if I did not buy the package, I would found them. We left Castaway Cay to board the ship at 2pm, gasp! I never leave the beach early, but it was a request from my wife. When we go back to the ship, Cabanas was closing, so we got lunch as the crew were closing the buffet stations on us(again!). We headed to the room for a nap, and to get ready for dinner. This is the first time I reboarded the ship early, because I like to max out on Castaway Cay. I actually dream of being stranded there like Tom Hanks in his movie Cast Away.

Our last night was in Enchanted garden. We had awesome servers in Anastasia and Rolando. They are such positive people with big hearts. Spending time with them was one of the best parts of the trip. We were sad to be on our last night. Our flight to NJ was 1030 the next day so we could not use Airline check in. We used express walk off and carried our bags with us, sigh! But the last night, i prebooked our next Disney Cruise!

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing! Wow - sounds like you had a great time - movies at 8:30am! :)
My sister and I are doing the Western Cruise this October - I am now concerned as we have Rum Point Beach booked as our excursion in Grand Cayman - I have to assume many people complained for Disney to refund 50% - do you know what the complaints were?

Thanks for following! I am excited for your October cruise. It has a Halloween theme, yes?

I would not be concerned. In November, i went on the Rum Point excursion and my family enjoyed it. The people on the excursion this trip said they were stung by jellyfish, and the beach was covered in seaweed. Therefore,
the entire group got a partial refund.

Rum Point is a good excursion for the catamaran ride to rum point. If you want the beach, go to seven mile beach or Royal palms. In the future, i will take the kids on the stingray trips, but they are too young.

Yes it is a Halloween cruise! :yay:
Thanks for making me feel better with our choice of Rum Point - hopefully the jellyfish will no longer be around in October; could be a seasonal thing. :confused3
The catamaran is a big part of the excursion and what i am most looking forward to. :thumbsup2
Our first cruise we did all the shows and did not make it to any movies.
This time we are skipping all the shows and def going to the movies!
Looking forward to your next update. :wave2:

You are welcome! The catamaran cruise is 30 minutes each way between the dock and Rum Point. The jellyfish and seaweed affected last trip, but I am sure Disney will put pressure on Rum Point operator to at least clean the beach of seaweed! When we went to Rum Point we were allowed to use the sails instead of propellers. On the way back from Rum Point the strong wind allowed us to sail back to the port. My entire family took a nap on the netting which lines the bow of the catamaran. Side note: I went on the Halloween Cruise on the Disney Dream, 4 night Bahamas itinerary, and they do trick-or-treating on board so bring your Halloween costume!:flower1:

I enjoyed your report and your efforts to mix things up. I always forget that they have veggies on the ship until about day 3 when my stomach tells me no more desserts.

What month was your first Fantasy cruise? My husband is paranoid that it won't be warm for our March 2019 cruise.

Thanks for following!

I always forget about veggies too:hyper2:. And I do one lap on the fourth level deck to work off all the desserts.

My first Fantasy Cruise, Western Carribean, was November 2017. Despite the cold weather we were raving about cruise! We left a wintery northeast for the warmer Caribbean. It was chilly on the Fantasy pool deck and Castaway Cay waters were chilly. We did not use the Aqua Lab but we used the pools on deck. The pools and Nemo's Reef are heated. For Castaway Cay, we used wet suits for the chilly ocean waters. We did Pelican's Plunge on Castaway--at the end of the slide you get dunked under water. The water was so chilly in November that I had to catch my breath as I plunged into the water. I love to go to the Caribbean in the winter, but I need a wet suit to stay warm in the ocean.

March will be a great time! March won't be winter weather. July has very high temperatures, but the prices are very high too! Have a great time! pirate:

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter