Disney Golf advise............

bradpga

Mouseketeer
No, I don't need help with my game. Actually I am a PGA golf professional at a private club in Mississippi. We are SSR owners and have 2 children. Our trips have consist of park hopping and well....park hopping. However- we are going back to Disney in October and we are going to attempt to take it easy by spending more time at the resort itself and I would like to get in a round or two. Anyway, I have not played any of the courses (I believe there is 5?) . I think the Funai PGA Event is held on Magnolia and Palm courses.

Have you played these courses? Which is your favorite and why? Please rate them 1 thru 5. I am more interested in the condition, layout, and scenery. Difficulty not a factor. Thanks-Brad

Also- I believe I read something about a DVC member golf tournament?????

I am a bogey golfer and enjoy the Palm and Magnoia far more than Eagle Pines or Osprey Ridge. The Palm and Magnolia are more open and forgiving, especially from the middle tees. I think that someone of your ability would be more challenged at EP or OR, especially from the back tees. They have tighter fairways, more water and a lot of sand, compared to the Palm and Magnolia. I have seen more wildlife though on the Palm and Magnolia, especially late in the afternoon.

HBC

The Funai Classic is in October and played at the Magnolia and Palm so those may be unavailable. Of the other courses I would rate them as follows

1: Osprey Ridge Most Scenic and best layout
2: Eagle Ridge
3: Lake Buena Vista
All are usually in fine condition, but call down there ahead of time to be sure
While I rated LBV #3, it does have some advantages, staying at SSR you can walk to the Pro shop (They will store your clubs). If you stay at OKW, your kids may be able to watch you play a couple of holes from the room as the course winds thru the resort.
Sadly they have discontinued the member tournament, the last one was in 99, too many members now. I wish they would bring it back, I had alot of fun and got some nice DVC goodies.

Ken

I played LBV two weeks ago and found it to be a very fun course. It is not a particularly long course (but not short either) and most holes are not particularly tight. There are plenty of bunkers and the greens have enough contour and size to make for some interesting pin placement possibilities. I think it would be a fun course for you to play as there is some strategy involved, but a low score for a good golfer is possible with good play.

Doctor P said:
...a low score for a good golfer is possible...
Especially with the assistance of my favorite Walt Disney World local rule, the six stroke per hole limit (don't tell me that's only in effect on the miniature courses).

I have played them all several times, I'm not a very good golfer anymore but I still enjoy playing.
My favorite is LBV which should very convenient for you at SSR, it's probably the easiest of the 5 and usually in the best shape.
Osprey Ridge is probably the most scenic and fairly difficult.
I recently played Magnolia after they re-did the course and I found it to be extremely difficut, it can play up to 7500 to 7600 yds and the greens are very tough.
My second favorite is Eagle Pines, fairly scenic and it does have a lot of water, but the greens never seem to be in very good condition.

Scenic
Osprey Ridge
Eagle Pines
LBV

Condition
LBV
Osprey Ridge
Palm/Magnolia
Eagle Pines

bradpga said:
No, I don't need help with my game. Actually I am a PGA golf professional at a private club in Mississippi. We are SSR owners and have 2 children. Our trips have consist of park hopping and well....park hopping. However- we are going back to Disney in October and we are going to attempt to take it easy by spending more time at the resort itself and I would like to get in a round or two. Anyway, I have not played any of the courses (I believe there is 5?) . I think the Funai PGA Event is held on Magnolia and Palm courses.

Have you played these courses? Which is your favorite and why? Please rate them 1 thru 5. I am more interested in the condition, layout, and scenery. Difficulty not a factor. Thanks-Brad

Also- I believe I read something about a DVC member golf tournament?????
You're doing what DH wishes he had. Our trips consist of him golfing every day while I go to the theme parks. He finds Osprey Ridge the most challenging, scenic, etc. Palm and LBV have the most water, LBV also have kind of tight fairways. Some people are bothered by the buildings all around, but we live in a golf course community, so DH's used to it and likes it. There used to be a DVC member tournament, but unfortunately they discontinued it. However, they've talked about restarting it again sometime (but they also discussed having one at HHI, but that hasn't happened either). The Disney courses don't often players of your calliber. The first time DH played, he walked to the championship tees and the employee said "Are you sure you should be there?" DH could see all the workers come out and smile knowingly, chuckling in their sleeves. I guess they ARE used to seeing golfers who think they're better than they are.

When you going neighbor? Maybe you can help some of DVC Duffers with their game?

I think everyone has nailed it on the courses. If you get the "Unofficial Guide" to WDW book - it has a great review of the courses (in and out) of WDW.

I like LBV - but - be warned that the LBC practice area is a bit silly. They have a lack of space so the driving range balls only go half as far as a regular ball. Maybe you will get some good out of hitting them - it only served me to get more confused about how I am hitting them!

I also think it is interesting that the designer of the original WDW courses was pretty much an unkown (not sure how he got the gig!). His name is Joe Lee and I think he did a great job with the rather flat landscape he was provided.

Obviously as you know Orlando has some fantastic courses! Some say the best (and most convenient public course) convenient to WDW is Orange County National. This is the course where Nike filmed the famous Tiger wedge drill commercial. It is only 10 minutes from WDW. I have played this track a few times - outstanding (and better then anything WDW can offer).

You can also try Celebration which is located on WDW property. I have not played it - so - someone else may help you there.

And, of course Grand Cypress is almost attached to WDW! Again, have not played it - but - it is good enough for many pro-teachers and the LPGA!

Lastly, if you drive 10 to 15 minutes north of WDW proper you will be able to see the Windermere development. It is gated - but - you can still see some dramatic homes! I always used to love to drive in to that area (but - it is getting very congested up that way with developement!).

Have fun - and - consider hosting "DVC Duffer Days" for all of us neighbors!

DVC Duffers-
Thanks for all the input. I look forward to playing all the disney courses but now I have a good idea where to start. Good to hear positive reviews on LBV course since it is in my backyard. I look forward to playing Palm and Magnolia from the "tips" to see how my game stacks up to the BIG BOYS. My prediction....Somewhere around 74-78 which means I would pretty much get blown out of the water, but thats ok. When I have a better grasp on the dates for my next trip I will post and try to find a partner or foursome if possible. Brad

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter