Disney guide-in-progress for autistics by autistics needs help

SonyaX

Earning My Ears
Hi there guys,

I'm autistic. When planning my Disney vacation I went looking for guides for autistic people, and all I found were guides for neurotypical parents of autistic-kids. It's like looking for guides about wheelchair accessibility and finding all of them written by able bodied folks. I mean, they mean well, but I'd rather hear from people with my condition.

So I, and others, have been working on this one. It's only partially filled out, and the Pandora and Rivers of Light section is completely empty. We would like more people to be aware of this, both so they can add to it and so others can use it as a resource. I thought this board would be one more place people might look for this information.

Feel free to post this somewhere else, or mention it to friends. We need more contributors, and more visibility.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Mu4KwoRaSAnspy-IZf3nuCJaXSaWNn4LeZiTV2eN6-c/mobilebasic

WOO WOO WOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(Don't know anything about Pandora or Rivers of Light, sorry. But I will be sure to add that document to my favorites and keep it with me next time I go!!!)

Just wanted to say well done you @SonyaX and the others who helped for writing this - :thumbsup2

AS the more awareness and help for people the better I say; and with a couple of tweaks from the guys above, know it's going to really help people have the best Disney experience. party:

I skimmed through. I saw lots of great information, and I think you're providing a great resource, but as the parent of a young adult with autism, there is nothing that I couldn't have written, based solely on my experience gained over many WDW vacations with my daughter.
By relying only on the contributions of "autistics" you are limiting this work to a subset of people on the spectrum who can communicate as you do. That certainly isn't the majority of the people on the spectrum.

infopurposesonly, we are not trying to be mean. We just want Autistics to have guidance from their fellow Autistics. We are not saying "neurotypicals are bad".

Besides, I'm sure there are several guides written by parents of Autistics. :) Sorry for the double post, but hey.

And there are LOTS of ways to communicate. All Autistics are welcome to contribute!

Last edited:
I found your guide interesting. I'm not autistic but have a son who is on the spectrum. There are a couple things I'd like to point out. In Disneyland the omnimover style vehicle can spin in circles. I know this because I was just on it and my two year old spun the 3 of us for most of the ride. Also for sensory, doesn't the Mr Lincoln attraction have headphones where they describe an old timey haircut? The studio was so realistic I felt as if scissors were grazing my beech l neck and that's a very uncomfortable sensory experience in my opinion. Just thought I'd try to give input, feel free to use it or not.

I found your guide interesting. I'm not autistic but have a son who is on the spectrum. There are a couple things I'd like to point out. In Disneyland the omnimover style vehicle can spin in circles. I know this because I was just on it and my two year old spun the 3 of us for most of the ride. Also for sensory, doesn't the Mr Lincoln attraction have headphones where they describe an old timey haircut? The studio was so realistic I felt as if scissors were grazing my beech l neck and that's a very uncomfortable sensory experience in my opinion. Just thought I'd try to give input, feel free to use it or not.

I talked to one of my YouTube friends, Cyndi. She is Autistic and lives in Southern CA, and I asked if she would be interested in starting a guide for the California parks. :) I know she has been to DCA, don't know about DL.

Her YouTube username is streamofawareness.

Edit: Oops, there already is a California section, but it's mostly blank...I edited my comment to Cyndi.

Last edited:
Besides, I'm sure there are several guides written by parents of Autistics. :) Sorry for the double post, but hey.

And there are LOTS of ways to communicate. All Autistics are welcome to contribute!

Yes, we all know there are lots of ways to communicate. So, just how are you going to get input from those who don't communicate as you do? Many on the spectrum communicate through behavior. You say they're welcome to contribute, but are you reaching out to those that can't articulate, for those with limited language? If not, your work is only going to reflect the viewpoints of a small subset of those on the spectrum.

SonyaX, what do you think about including, say, social stories?

Like what to do if you meet a character, have to wait in line, etc.

I can write them if you would like.

Edit: I know this is for adults, but would social stories still work?

Last edited:
This seems really cool and interesting! This is literally what I was looking to find for such a long time. The adult resources from the perspective of an autistic adult are really just not out there. I need to read through it. I did notice that the Pandora part is still empty. I've done those rides a few times if you'd like my input. Also, I'm a DL AP holder and I've been to the California parks many times if you're looking for some more input there as well :)

Anyone who wants to contribute is welcome to do so. It's an open edit document, and as long as the trolls stay out, we intend to keep it that way. Please fix errors if you find them, add what needs to be said if you think it needs to be said.

Please, if you've been to Pandora, add to that section. I posted to ask for contribution as well as to add a resource.

I think social stories are fine. More information is good.

If you think this isn't for you, that's fine. Don't use it. Some of us find it useful. I see no reason to remove a resource because it doesn't fit everyone's needs.

I'm not sure how you want to reword it, but going through the castle does not take you to Liberty Square. You have to bear left before the castle to get there, or take a left after you go through the castle.

I'm not sure how you want to reword it, but going through the castle does not take you to Liberty Square. You have to bear left before the castle to get there, or take a left after you go through the castle.
Thank you, DisneyOma!
And to SonyaX, are you doing all the editing? I don't understand Google Drive that well, sorry...

You have the Rock n roller coaster goes upside down 3 times. It only goes upside down 2 times at the begging you do a loop, then you do a sideways loop so you are not upside down. and later on, you do the corkscrew

Fo the FOP ride.

and just a side note I do not have ASD but have SPD and a few other things. ( I was told I was missing one of the things you have to have to be DX with ASD)

The ride does vibrate at the beginning around where the your lower chest upper abdomen.

there are flashing lights at the begging and end

there are some parts where you get wet some ( I can lean back some and not get wet all)

wind does plow in your face

the avatar does breath ( it will push your legs out like you are riding a house that is breathing)

it is 3D and you wear glasses.

the ride hardest is very snug against you.

For someone that does not like a lot of sensory input, it can be very over whelming, for. someone that does it is not that bad.

I do not know how to add this into the doc. but if someone else would like too then go for it.

This guide will be useful for a lot of people, not just those on the autism spectrum. My teen son has sensory issues. I've spent a lot of time over the years trying to get detailed information on sensory triggers at theme parks. People without sensory challenges just don't appreciate what can be an issue for someone. I like the idea of getting lots of input from different people, because everyone has different triggers. If only my son was more comfortable sharing his experiences -- he could provide a lot of info for DL and DCA. One thing -- he loved Fantasmic but was very glad to have his sunglasses because it was very bright.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter