Disney Guides

TripletDad

Mouseketeer
My family will be staying at the Contemporay next July 13-19. My question is about Disney Guildes; Birnbaums, Frommers, Ect. Is there one that is better than others? Is there one that is a must have? Are there any that are not worth the money and the time?

Thanks TripletDad. :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

We bought and faithfully read the Birnbaum books for years. Now that we are internet friendly, we don't buy any books at all. I have found the best information on this site, www.wdwig.com and www.mousetrips.com (Brian Bennett's site). There are trip reports, a ton of current information and the benefit of thousands of visitors information and recommendations. I have been there many times over a number of years, and we have found more interesting and unusual things to do from ideas other people have come up with.

I really recommend Passporter, as well as all the internet site's previously mentioned.

Passporter does a great job of covering virtually everything in WDW - nothing out, in a compact size. It also has Passpockets in the back, which are little envelope style pockets with lots of places to write in your PS information, keep any airline itineraries, lodging confirmations etc. together in one place. They have two types - standard spiral bound, with an elastic to hold the whole thing shut and secure, or deluxe - a leather binder which holds the Passporter, as well as ID cards, etc. One big advantage to the deluxe is that you can remove pages or pockets as you wish to take them with you - we bring the Pocket for each day in our fanny pack without carrying the whole book. Also, its foldout maps are fantastic! We like the ones for the parks better than the ones Disney provides!

Either way, have a great trip - planning is half the fun!

I second CRCrazy. I bought a couple of other guides before I found PassPorter and now wish that I had seen it first, it would've saved me some money! I've probably gotten more useful inside info from these boards, but I like having the PassPorter to keep all my papers and itinerary organized and reminders for me to get PS's made, so forth.

Dawn

I think Birmbaums is best for the first time visitor. Its not as comprehensive or critical. But it has color pictures and good maps and its slim enough to carry with you in a bag. Some of the others are overwhelmingly text heavy.

But I've never seen a Passporter, which people rave about. I think they are only available over the internet.

I am a first time planner, and have purchased numerous books and guides for the trip. I also spend about two hours a day combing the sites for information and guidance.

I. This board is the best source of information available.

II. Birnbaum's is the most colorful, and it is an easy read containing great information. Remember it is the "official" guide and therefore is approved by Disney for its content.

III. The Unofficial Guide contains the most information in a portable source. For first timers it is an invaluable resource. Some veterans buy it every year; however, I think your money might be better spent elsewhere.

IV. Passporter is the text that will go with me to The World. It is practical, compact and functional. A nice text that doubles as a journal and record holder.

V. Birnbaum's Disney for Kids by Kids is going to be under our tree this Christmas for our 5 1/2 yo. It contains great pictures and autograph pages in the back for character sightings.

VI. Walt Disney World with Kids is different than the title above and is the least necessary of them all, but a good book nonetheless if it is the only one you buy. I used it a lot at the beginning (it was the first book I purchased) but the others are clearly superior.

I have found that planning has become not a chore, but an obsession. So much to learn, and every book and website offers one common bit of advice: PLAN, PLAN, and PLAN.

Good Luck. You can get by without buying anything and just use the websites, or you can get crazy like I did, and spend almost as much on books as I will at Cinderella's Table for Breakfast on New Year's Day!

Peace,

:)

I may not have said what I wanted to say above regarding the Unofficial Guide.

The book is a "must buy" for anyone not familiar with WDW, or who does not yet own a copy, and should be purchased.

However, I don't think that one need buy the new edition each year.

Peace, :)

You can also find a lot of guides at the library. Don't worry if they are a year or two dated, it doesn't change too much. Then, when you find the one that fits your needs best, invest in the current version of it.

I purchased the 2003 Unofficial Guide when it came out - after hearing so many rave reviews. I must say, I was very disappointed. It had good information if you were staying off site, or visiting Universal - but 90 percent of the book were its touring guides. With Fastpass now in the mix, I could care less about the touring guides - I want descriptions of attractions, hotels, restaurants, etc, so that I can make up my own mind what I want to do and when.

Also, the Unofficial Guide had some outdated information - I realize that Disney changes frequently and any book will have outdated info, but some things in the Unofficial 2003 were outdated from before my 2002 Passporter was published. Obviously they do not edit the entire book between editions, just the major changes.

Birnbaum's is the prettiest - but there isn't a whole lot of useable info in it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter