Disney has priced us out.

Can someone please explain GT rates to me? We have only been on one cruise and I knew what part of the ship I wanted to be on so we just reserved a certain room when we booked it. If I only want to stay mid or aft would I still be safe to go the GT route? I know when I was researching it before it seemed like the forward rooms were always still open and I would be scared of getting put there and then get motion sickness. GT rates might be the difference of getting to go or not though.

If you get a short notice Guarantee Sail rate, IGT (interior), OGT (oceanview), VGT (veranda), all they guarantee is that you will get some room somewhere in one of those 3 categories, and it may be absolutely anywhere on the ship.

This however worked out amazingly for us when we picked up a VGT in 2013 for a 3 day Dream, as we had 3 rooms together with beautiful deluxe veranda plexiglass. But the idea is, you are getting a lower rate to fill the ship, so you don't have a say where they stick you...

As far as motion sickness, pending any storm systems that are unusual, I have never been motion sick on the Bahamian cruises, as they are so close to shore vs wide open sea. You might bring some bonine or dramamine just in case, but for me, I wouldn't even give it two seconds thought, I'd get that cheaper rate and have a back up plan just in case for motion sickness. That's just my thoughts though.

If you get a short notice Guarantee Sail rate, IGT (interior), OGT (oceanview), VGT (veranda), all they guarantee is that you will get some room somewhere in one of those 3 categories, and it may be absolutely anywhere on the ship.

This however worked out amazingly for us when we picked up a VGT in 2013 for a 3 day Dream, as we had 3 rooms together with beautiful deluxe veranda plexiglass. But the idea is, you are getting a lower rate to fill the ship, so you don't have a say where they stick you...

As far as motion sickness, pending any storm systems that are unusual, I have never been motion sick on the Bahamian cruises, as they are so close to shore vs wide open sea. You might bring some bonine or dramamine just in case, but for me, I wouldn't even give it two seconds thought, I'd get that cheaper rate and have a back up plan just in case for motion sickness. That's just my thoughts though.

Thanks! It does make sense to book a VGT to save a lot of money even if you do get a part of the ship you don't really want. We didn't spend a lot of time in our room anyway and I will just bring my Bonine and ginger. :goodvibes

We figured we wouldn't be able to take another Disney cruise for a long time because of their rates being so much higher than other cruise lines BUT...
We just booked our second cruise! :cheer2: It is only another 3 night on the Dream but I can't wait!! We really did love that ship!
Anyway we got a 10% off code in the mail from our last cruise and are cruising in May (2015) and it was $172 per night per person. I didn't think that was too bad at all. :goodvibes
This was with a cat. 7A.

I know this is "off" season but I priced RC and they weren't much better and that was with their promotion. Now in the summer or on a longer cruise it might be a different story.

We figured we wouldn't be able to take another Disney cruise for a long time because of their rates being so much higher than other cruise lines BUT...
We just booked our second cruise! :cheer2: It is only another 3 night on the Dream but I can't wait!! We really did love that ship!
Anyway we got a 10% off code in the mail from our last cruise and are cruising in May (2015) and it was $172 per night per person. I didn't think that was too bad at all. :goodvibes
This was with a cat. 7A.

I know this is "off" season but I priced RC and they weren't much better and that was with their promotion. Now in the summer or on a longer cruise it might be a different story.

I agree. On the shorter cruises and in off season RC isn't much cheaper.

And they don't include nearly as much either. I like the idea of RCi on Oasis or Allure but not any of the older ships, and they cost similar to Fantasy anyway.

Our next trip is not looking to be a cruise. We are itchin to get out to Disneyland for a first... have unfinished rides after this year's WDW craziness....

This was with a cat. 7A.

Looking at Disney prices, I've had to adjust my idea of what a "good" deal is. Normally, I look for under $100 per person per night but obviously that is not happening with Disney. I usually cruise in the off season.

What is considered to be a "good" Disney price per night in the off season?

For us 2A, 1C we paid $1750 (including tax) for a family large porthole room booked in Feb for May. That is about $194 per night for each of us. Since I got a 10% off coupon we went ahead and booked again for next May.

The original price was about $1680 for the same room next May. That would have been $187 each (a little better). But then we figured we could get a cat. 7A room for only $22 more so we booked it. :banana: That put us with our 10% off coupon at $172 per night. I don't think you will get much cheaper than that but I could be wrong (unless you are in the military, a cast member or live in Florida).
The same cruise and the same room next June is $2891 ($321 per night per person) :scared1: We couldn't afford it if we didn't do off season rates.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter