Disney Hotel Prices are Out of Control!

qman6975

Mouseketeer
Is it me or are the cost of Disney hotel rooms too high. I looked on the Disney website for a room next May and the the All Star Resorts started at $170/night. Compare that to fine hotels just outside WDW which were $60/night. Even when you factor in a rental car and parking you still save $70/night or about $500 in a week! We’ve always stayed on site but I’m nearing a breaking point.

We stayed five years ago at Poly and three years ago at GF. Late last year I wanted to stay at the Contemporary but it was $1000/night. We stayed at Disney Springs Holiday Inn instead for a $100/ night. Not the best hotel but got 60 day fast passes and extra hours so adequate for $100/ night. The prices of the in park resorts also seem high to me compared to what you get.

Uber was great from the hotel to the parks and we usually had a three minute wait so everything worked very well.

I'm having a hard time paying $200 a night for All Star Movies for the week after Christmas. I keep going back and forth over keeping the reservation or not.

I don't book unless there is a discount and then I take whatever is available at resorts we like. Fortunately, we like a lot of them, so I've always found something that works. I also don't care about making ADRs at 180 days prior, so having something booked at that time isn't important to me. If you can play the waiting game, you may find something closer to your budget when and if discounts are released.

Is it me or are the cost of Disney hotel rooms too high. I looked on the Disney website for a room next May and the the All Star Resorts started at $170/night. Compare that to fine hotels just outside WDW which were $60/night. Even when you factor in a rental car and parking you still save $70/night or about $500 in a week! We’ve always stayed on site but I’m nearing a breaking point.
Yes.............Disney has aggressively jacked up the prices of rooms and tickets and AP's for the last several years as well as adding a resort parking fee on top of it all. Even 25 percent off of an inflated price is still a lot of money.

I have stayed offsite at some cheap hotels and was satisfied with getting less quality for less price. That allowed each stay to be longer than if I had stayed on property. I had a car each time I have visited.

I could have easily "stepped up" and paid 75-90 per night but since my purpose was to save money, I stayed at the cheap place.
I told my teenage daughter (when we all had an AP's) that in exchange for going more frequently, we would not be staying onsite as often.

Honestly, you aren't going to find "fine" hotels at 60 bucks a night. I just booked POR with an AP discount for next month. I did some research and the price I paid was very close to the discounted AP from 2 years ago. Rack rates are always high but we haven't paid rack rate in nearly 20 years.

You have to realize that youre probably looking at pre-discounted rooms and you are going in Spring which is expensive time to go. Look for discounts for Spring Travel in November/December.

I agree that room prices are out of control, especially when you consider all the problems that one encounters when staying at a Disney resort. Dirty rooms, housekeeping that doesn't always come and random, on demand, room invasions are just to name a few.

Discount availability is really drying up, giving Disney the advantage of advertising that they offer discounts, but in reality, offering fewer and fewer or ones that aren't really worth the trouble of using. For example: the free dining promotion has turned into a joke. For certain plans, you didn't even get a refillable mug or a snack with your counter service meal. Really Disney? And you have to pay the full, overinflated rack rate to get one $13.00 counter service meal a day (per person).

There are multiple places to stay outside Disney property that are close, don't have resort fees, parking fees or WIFI fees. Some even offer a free hot breakfast, happy hour and have excellent amenities. All this can be had for prices per night that are much lower than what Disney rips people off for. It literally pays to do your homework and shop around. If you do you'll find that the only thing you are giving up are the Disney high prices for inferior offerings.

~NM

Supply and demand. Disney can charge those prices and still fill their hotels. $60 has to charge that price as they cant fill there rooms at any higher price because they must have bad reviews. Prices will keep going up. So many people travel overseas now so your up against oversea guest now who will book and pay in full a year ahead . Im from Australia and have been a regular traveler since the 90s but i was lucky to have one friend who went overseas a year . Now majority of my friends travel overseas each year. Longer direct flights which mean even more traveler to .

May is after Easter and before summer, so I would expect to see some discounts later. Book something off property you would be happy with (with a liberal cancellation policy), and then just keep checking for discounts.

You can always wait and hope some discounts come out. I've never paid rack rate for a Disney Hotel, nor have I ever booked more than about 90 days out.

$60 a night is really cheap and if it's a clean reputable hotel, then go for it. Be sure to be on the look out for resort fees etc. that are often added on to some of these off site hotels.

There's definitely deals to be found off site though.

If we were staying value, I seriously doubt we'd stay onsite, especially for rack rates.

When the deluxe resorts weren't in our budget we stayed at the Holiday Inn, (it eventually became Nickelodeon but now is Holiday Inn again). It was awesome. Clean rooms, free breakfast buffet, nice pool.

There definitely are plenty of other options, and some deals at the official Disney resorts that now can get the 60 day fast pass perk.

If you don't belong to Mouse Savers newsletter be sure to sign up. They often have some great discounts at these hotels.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter