Disney-how much is TOO much!

kandb

DIS Veteran
We have gone to Disney yearly for the past 13 years, except for last year as we travelled out West. We always go a slow time the end of August. We always used to get a great exclusive agency deal with a deluxe and the price was reasonable. NOW the prices have gone up so high, I am just not willing to pay that much money to go when it's blistering hot and the crowds really aren't low. This year we are going to discovery cove and get a full 14 days at Aquatica and SeaWorld. I like Disney better but can't see spending $5K for a week in the blistering heat. Am I missing something with the price increases? Just so high because of the great economy???

We have gone every December for a week the last 15 + years. Usually we stay at AKL but this year downgraded all the way to a value. We have free dining upgraded to deluxe & hoppers but cut the rest.

Next year, I’ve already priced going to Jackson Hole, Wyoming for a week & doing multiple winter tours & it’s the less $. Tours of Yellowstone, the elk refuge, snow showing, etc.So for the first time in years Disney will be skipped for a year or so. It’s outpricing our budget when compared to other things to do.

The last few years they have hiked room rates and ticket prices.

The result of the price increases compounding is that prices are way up compared to 3 or 4 years ago.

Even if we were "rich" I would not pay many of the resort rates even if given a 25 percent discount.

25 percent off a bloated price is still a bloated price.

Disney prices are crazy expensive. Dh and I will be staying at a Disney resort for 5 nights in March as a getaway from our brutal Canadian winters. We were planning on doing one park (will be doing other things in Orlando). One day pass for 2 adults was $273 or approx. $380 cdn. Add another $100 or $135cdn for food for the day and we were looking at $515 cdn for the day. I was able to book a Black Friday deal for one day at Sea World including all day dining where you can get an entree/dessert and drink once every hour until the park closes. Total cost for two was $172 or $235 cdn. Less than half of doing a Disney park. For us it was a no brainer.

Last edited:
I could have written this post myself! Have been to WDW for the last 12 years or so and usually get an agency exclusive deal for July or August. But the prices have gotten so crazy! This August we are doing Discovery Cove/SeaWorld/Aquatica. Not sure where we are staying yet, but I booked the DC day during the sale last week. I am sure we will miss WDW, but we will still go to Disney Springs.

we've only been able to afford to go every 3-4 years as it is. Our trip in April is probably our last for a very long time. I promised my 2 DGD's that we would celebrate my retirement at WDW and we will.
Could we afford it? probably but are likely to chose not to.
The kids want to do Universal, I have not idea how their prices compare to Disney and will still need to pay for flights from MA.
NCL cruise from Boston is looking more and more attractive and no airfare.

Try comparing Disney cruise prices with other cruise lines. We did a DCL trip to the Bahamas during spring break this year. First and last time for DCL. The nearly double cost didn't give us any more of a "Wow" factor that another brand. We are DVC and will look for options on our next vacation, whether it be on land or sea.

Try comparing Disney cruise prices with other cruise lines. We did a DCL trip to the Bahamas during spring break this year. First and last time for DCL. The nearly double cost didn't give us any more of a "Wow" factor that another brand. We are DVC and will look for options on our next vacation, whether it be on land or sea.

I can't even get over how expensive DCL is compared to other cruise lines. We have gone to Disney every year the last few years, but have been exploring other vacation options due to the rising costs. I remember when DCL was a less expensive way to get a taste of Disney - not the case anymore! I couldn't get over how much cheaper we could do a long cruise on other cruise lines in comparison. And so many cruise lines have stepped up their game with food options and onboard activities, the only draw to me for DCL would be the characters.

We have gone to Disney yearly for the past 13 years, except for last year as we travelled out West. We always go a slow time the end of August. We always used to get a great exclusive agency deal with a deluxe and the price was reasonable. NOW the prices have gone up so high, I am just not willing to pay that much money to go when it's blistering hot and the crowds really aren't low. This year we are going to discovery cove and get a full 14 days at Aquatica and SeaWorld. I like Disney better but can't see spending $5K for a week in the blistering heat. Am I missing something with the price increases? Just so high because of the great economy???

I priced out a DCL cruise, quite the sticker shock! grand kids would love to go on one but no way that is going to happen.

Next year we are seriously looking at the Swan/Dolphin or one of the moderates. We can afford deluxe but the value just isn’t there anymore as we are no longer park stormers ( rope drop to park close).

We aren't priced out yet, but we have adjusted our trips by decreasing the stay by one day. That has helped keep the prices about the same. We have been several times so one day is not a problem, at this time. We will continue to go until we can't, either financially or physically, because even with all it's problems, we still find the magic there:)

I could have written this post myself! Have been to WDW for the last 12 years or so and usually get an agency exclusive deal for July or August. But the prices have gotten so crazy! This August we are doing Discovery Cove/SeaWorld/Aquatica. Not sure where we are staying yet, but I booked the DC day during the sale last week. I am sure we will miss WDW, but we will still go to Disney Springs.
We are also doing the same. Have gone once a year for a long time but next trip will be dc/sw/busch gardens. We will do a couple character meals at the resorts to get our Disney fix. Disney has just gotten too expensive for us.

I really think that if we hadn't joined DVC we would not be going as much. I do find that flexible dates produce more affordable stays. These affordable vacations mean staying at a resort in renovation - last year I found CBR at $132/N in June.

We have cut our next DCL down to a 3N - I will see if that is really satisfying. If not, we might be done there.

Not all that shocked at the cost of going to Disney this year compared with previous years given the newness of the Star Wars stuff, but thought there might be some bigger discounts for those that have some vested interest in Disney, like a Disney Visa and certainly for AP holders. Also just received my "save an extra $1,500 on DVC," so I guess that's where they want to push people. But four days this year is costing almost what it cost to go for a week two years ago. So I'm still doing it just to get Galaxy's Edge out of my system but then I think that'll be it for me. I'd like to go back every other year to catch the new stuff that's coming, but getting harder to justify.

We did a DCL a couple years ago as well. Had a smaller-size room, but with a balcony. It was a great time. Last year, we did a seven-nighter with Royal Caribbean, on one of their semi-older boats, and had a two-room suite and the benefits that came with that for less $$$ - just happened to catch a nice deal there. The boat wasn't quite as nice, and perhaps the food wasn't quite as good, but none of that detracted from the trip. I enjoyed DCL, but I don't think I'll do another, given what that money afforded me elsewhere.

I really planned on us going this coming summer again. We have gone every year for the past 9 years. I’m really hesitating this time because prices are so high! I love the deluxe resorts and usually get the exclusive agency deal also. Now the agency deals are no cheaper than Disney discounts.
If we go, we will have to go with a moderate and it cost as much as a deluxe has been for us in the past. I’m just not as excited about going because of the cost.

I'm attempting to rent DVC points for next fall. It's not as easy as I had hoped. Crossing fingers. I've only stayed in Deluxes thus far, but if necessary I would downgrade.

As it is I only go every 2-5 years, but I do like to do it "right".

In 1991 I started to go to WDW every other year. In 2000 that changed to every four years around the Presidential election. goodeats, I rent DVC at the 11 month mark.

To get my Disney fix I'd do a Disney Cruise. Stopped that a few years ago when I found out that the food and service can now be just as good on other lines.

I love Disney and most likely will not stop going but...….it is now less and less. I can have just as much fun, with great service and food somewhere else. Vacas will just lack Mickey.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!