Disney in a Time of Covid-A Different, But Wonderful Trip! (updated 8/4/22 x2)

I remember those text message exchanges and our talks about being upgraded. I was so tired of giving bad news that it was awesome to share some good...no great...news.

You guys were rolling on through those states weren't you? I know the girls were super excited when you pulled into Dinosaur World! It sounds like it's going to be a great place to visit.

Yeah! :cheer2: I found your report! I was hoping you would start it soon! We leave in 27 days...but who's counting?????? I am so excited to get away and have fun being a kid again! I can't wait to read all about your adventures! I saw the State Fair picture... please tell me the cream puffs were just as good this year as they have been in the past!

I am looking forward to reading more! Your family is beautiful... furry friends and all!

Yeah! :cheer2: I found your report! I was hoping you would start it soon! We leave in 27 days...but who's counting?????? I am so excited to get away and have fun being a kid again! I can't wait to read all about your adventures! I saw the State Fair picture... please tell me the cream puffs were just as good this year as they have been in the past!

I am looking forward to reading more! Your family is beautiful... furry friends and all!

We are at 29 days until arrival date. Where are you guys staying?

Following along...off to a great start!
Thank you and :welcome: ! Thanks for joining!

Following—love your pics!
Aw, thanks! :welcome:. We took a TON of pictures this trip between the 3 of our phones. I didn't even bring my regular camera this time.

Following! Sounds like a great start to the road trip. How fun for the girls to get to stop on the way too!
:welcome: It was a great start. We were excited to make the stop for the girls.

Following.. loving it so far
:welcome: Thanks! Glad to have you!

Thanks for sharing so far!

in for updates!
:welcome: More updates coming soon!

Being able to tell clients they were upgraded at no charge has been the best!

We were just moved from BWV to BCV for our July trip and the kids weren't with us so no biggie although it'd been longer since we'd been at BWV so I was kind of looking forward to that. But it didn't affect our trip! I do give you lots of credit for driving :drive: Over the years we've discussed doing this - we're in NY - but I was afraid we'd return with one less kid having left one on the side of the road :rotfl2: I did always think stopping at interesting places along the way would be neat though.

LOL! We love road trips. Our girls are really good because the know how great the reward is at the end. They complain on the 15 minute car ride to my mom's house (oh the horrors), but don't ever ask on the way to Disney. It's fun to stop at new places. I'd like to tour Churchill Downs sometime if that's a thing.

And yes, finding out we were upgraded was awesome!

I remember those text message exchanges and our talks about being upgraded. I was so tired of giving bad news that it was awesome to share some good...no great...news.

You guys were rolling on through those states weren't you? I know the girls were super excited when you pulled into Dinosaur World! It sounds like it's going to be a great place to visit.
Those were the best text messages and talks all summer! And I loved talking to you from the first time and hearing your accent!

We did make really good time this year. Dinosaur World was fun! You should do it on one of your road trips sometime.

i like the Tetris comment;) feel like we lug too much stuff when it comes to traveling!
It's so true. We always bring too much. Maura can't travel without at least 20 stuffed animals. They had their own suitcase this trip. :rotfl2:

:welcome: Glad you found it! I'm so jealous you leave in 27 days. We always love going, but then are sad when we don't have a countdown anymore. It will be so fun for you to be there. Even with the masks and extra precautions, the magic was still there and it was nice to feel "normal" for a few days.

The cream puffs were exactly the same! Just as delicious. We were so glad they did that.

More coming now! And thanks for the compliment. I like my family okay. The furry ones especially. :)

So Dinosaur World! Yay! We had to wait in a bit of a line to get in, as they were using safe social distancing guidelines to make sure not too many people were in the gift shop where you pay. It didn't take long though, and soon we had paid and were seeing this.

I'll probably post too many pictures of this, but this is only about 1/10 of what we took there! This is a combo of mine, Jason's, and Lucy's cameras. Maura had her instamax camera too (like a polaroid) and she took pictures of her own also, but I can't post those.

Once we were in the doors, we were directed to the path to see all the dinos. There was a map you could follow, but we decided we didn't really need it since it seemed to go in a circle. We just wanted to be sure we didn't miss anything. But first, one more skeleton. All of the dinos were man made, but they did a pretty good job I thought.

And while they were all man made, they were as size accurate as they could be.

She's pretending to kiss this guy. It looks pretty good!

There was a fairly large crowd there that day, but people were being really good about spacing out, and being sure to let others get pictures when they wanted too.

I think we're looking scared here? Though I don't think a Stegosaurus would be that scary. After all, they were plant eaters.

Okay, these are scarier.

Not sure what she's doing here. Surrendering herself to be eaten?

Oh, the baby Triceratops were cute!

This was either the T-Rex or something very similar to it. I don't have the map. I'm not sure.

It's coming for me!

Pteranadon!

My kids are nuts. Not sure what's going on here.

Now we're just getting ridiculous.

Of course no trip to prehistoric times would be complete without a mammoth or two.

A nice family in line ahead of us to take their picture with this guy kindly asked us if we'd take one for them. The mom was a little nervous to ask because of Covid, but they were masked, as were we, and there was sanitizer everywhere. And honestly, my sister is a nurse and said you really can't contract it from touching. It has to be inhaled. We gladly obliged and they in turn took one for us. This is the dinosaur you see from the expressway that the girls always saw and asked to stop.

And just the girls.

They allow dogs here, since it's mostly outside, and we did see several. We wondered what Murphy would have done if he'd been with us and seen this big T-Rex. Probably barked like a loon.

She just keeps getting sillier.

(continued in next post)

The Carnotaurus! Just like Dinosaur!

I think Lucy's pretending she IS one of these guys?

These guys almost look like they're kissing.

I'm pretty sure that's the Anklyosaurus. He's my favorite.

Those big yellow round things aren't their eyes, but at first glance they looked like it!

This one looked very bird like.

Look at those toofs!

Loooooooooooong necks! Seriously, up close, these were SO tall!

Oh, this one is the T-Rex!

The kid in front of us for this picture would. Not. Get. Out. Of. The. Egg. His mom had to physically drag him out and tell him other people were waiting.

These guys had giant hands.

We finished the trail, and they had a few exhibits inside. The building was small so we checked them out. I think Jason took a potty break here, because he never made it in. He wasn't too sad.

The inside part was cool. It had facts about paleontology and dinosaur related things.

After the indoor exhibits, we stopped in the gift shop of course. Maura spent the first of her money on an Anklyosaurus and a little glass jar with amethyst pieces in it. Lucy found herself a new pair of sunglasses. We spent a little under 2 hours there. We were back on the road at 2:20pm. We enjoyed our little pit stop at Dinosaur World. It wasn't the most amazing place, but it wasn't a dud either. We really had no idea what to expect, but we were glad we decided to stop this year. It broke up the monotony of driving a bit.

We stopped for gas, and I know we must have gotten something for lunch, but I didn't write down where, and neither did Lucy so I guess it wasn't memorable. We kept on trucking, and at 3:17pm, we entered Tennessee.

We were passing Nashville before too long.

I like the building with the 2 spikey things on it. I think that's an AT&T building.

Lucy commented that the mountains were pretty. She got a few picture.

At 5:25pm we entered Georgia, and also switched into Eastern Time Zone, so it was now really 6:25. Way to lose an hour!

We weren't in Georgia for good though. The road is really curvy here, and at 6:29pm we were back in Tennessee, before FINALLY being in Georgia for good at 6:44pm.

I know we kept driving through Atlanta. Northern Georgia is really pretty, and Atlanta is cool. We did get stuck in traffic briefly though, because Atlanta. I call it the Chicago of the south.

(continued in next post)

Here's the tunnel we always drive through in Atlanta.

And because we're in Atlanta, Coke!

We're a Pepsi family, but still had to get a picture.

And once through Atlanta, we stopped at a Chic-Fil-A drive through, because we were in Georgia and that's where you stop when you're there.

And then we drove. And drove. And drove. Middle to southern Georgia is BORING! Some people think Indiana is the worst state of this drive, but it doesn't seem to go on forever. Georgia does. But we had a reservation and we were going to make it! Finally, at 11:45pm, we arrived at the LaQuinta in Valdosta. It was a nice, clean hotel and their Covid precautions were great. The room looked exactly like the picture looked online!

We just grabbed our toiletry bag and our overnight backsack and in we went. Maura made herself comfortable right away.

Some of us showered. Some of us waited until morning. We all crashed after not getting much sleep the night before. And the best part? The next morning, we only had to drive for about 10 minutes before we'd be in Florida!

I know this page is short, but I'll start with Day 2 next time. I'll do a brief synopsis of our time in Melbourne with Jason's brother and his family, but I'll get to the good stuff (aka WDW) in the next update for sure! Thanks for reading!

Enjoying your report!

Yes that is the A T & T Building in Nashville (also locally known as the Batman building). The mountains near Chattanooga are beautiful.

Can't wait to read more!

Dinosaur World appeared to be a cool place to stop for a bit. Like you said, it breaks up the drive and that's always a good thing. Atlanta traffic sucks! We used to have to go through (or around if that's the route we chose) Atlanta when we would visit Lacey while in missionary college. I hated it. That's where my Mama would sit in the passenger's seat and "whoop! whoop!" loudly because people were weaving in and out going 80.

11:45 p.m. isn't too terribly late for your first night on the road. I'm betting the girls have stayed up past that at home. :)

We are at 29 days until arrival date. Where are you guys staying?
We will be at Bay Lake Tower from the 10th - 14th, and then Animal Kingdom Lodge - Kidani Village from the 14th - 18th. We start with Epcot on the 10th and 12th, HS on the 11th, MK on the 13th and 16th, and AK on the 15th and 17th.

I can't wait! Down to 20 days now!
party:

Holy wow. so fun we take the exact ride and feel the exact same! LOL you are SO RIGHT about GA being the Chicago of the south!
we normally drive at night so we never get to see any of this fun stuff. Isn't there a wizard of Oz thing too?
GEORGIA IS BORING! sorry Ariana love ya but it really is.

Dinosaur world looks FANTASTIC we really need to go. I am missing so much to comment on but my stupid computer lost all my QUOTES to be entered...

but here is---

Do you see me waving?? HA HA HA HA

Fun enjoying your road trip!

Thanks! We usually enjoy the road trip too!

Enjoying your report!

Yes that is the A T & T Building in Nashville (also locally known as the Batman building). The mountains near Chattanooga are beautiful.

Can't wait to read more!

:welcome: and thanks!

Batman building! That makes sense. We love going through the mountains, but you know what's scary? Those runaway truck ramps!:oops:

More coming soon!

Dinosaur World appeared to be a cool place to stop for a bit. Like you said, it breaks up the drive and that's always a good thing. Atlanta traffic sucks! We used to have to go through (or around if that's the route we chose) Atlanta when we would visit Lacey while in missionary college. I hated it. That's where my Mama would sit in the passenger's seat and "whoop! whoop!" loudly because people were weaving in and out going 80.

11:45 p.m. isn't too terribly late for your first night on the road. I'm betting the girls have stayed up past that at home. :)

Dinosaur World was a fun little stop. Uf. Atlanta. But LOL at Mama!

That wasn't too late, no, and if we hadn't lost the hour it would have been even better! They girls have stayed up much later than that.

Following..👍

:welcome: Thanks for joining!

Holy wow. so fun we take the exact ride and feel the exact same! LOL you are SO RIGHT about GA being the Chicago of the south!
we normally drive at night so we never get to see any of this fun stuff. Isn't there a wizard of Oz thing too?
GEORGIA IS BORING! sorry Ariana love ya but it really is.

Dinosaur world looks FANTASTIC we really need to go. I am missing so much to comment on but my stupid computer lost all my QUOTES to be entered...

but here is---

Do you see me waving?? HA HA HA HA

I totally see you waving. :) Ugh. Atlanta is almost worse than Chicago. Maybe it's because I'm more familiar with Chicago.

I don't remember a Wizard of Oz thing, but now I want to! I'm intrigued. Must find out for next time!

You should definitely stop at Dino World. It's certainly not the most amazing thing I've ever seen, but for a roadside attraction, it was pretty cool. I think they did a great job making the dinos look life size and realistic.

Day 2-4. September 6-8.

After a great night's sleep, we were awake about 8:30. We were at the LaQuinta in Valdosta. If you're ever looking to stay there, don't look for LaQuinta. About a week after we got home, I got an email from them saying they were now a Wingate. So, same place, same owners, different name. It was a nice place to stay for the night. The rooms were clean, the staff friendly, and everyone was wearing masks indoors. After everyone was showered, we headed down to the lobby. They had a free breakfast. It looked like normally you'd get to serve yourself, but with the Covid precautions, they had staff serving people. They had a menu with what they had you could read while waiting in line. It was a decent free breakfast! Eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, fruit, pastries, toast, coffee, and juice. I think they had some yogurt and cereal choices too. In fact I know they did because Maura got a container of Froot Loops.

None of us took a picture of the breakfast. I promise this won't be the norm. I guess we were too excited to take pictures. We went out to the courtyard area to eat our breakfast. Lucy did manage to take several pictures of these guys.

We don't have these little geckos (or whatever they are. If you know the correct name, please let me know!) in Wisconsin, so no matter how many we see, it's always exciting. We saw a ton of really tiny ones on the trip, so I don't know if it's lizard hatching season or what, but they were fun.
We finished breakfast, went back up to the room, packed up our stuff and hit the road. We checked out at 10:02am. A quick stop for gas and we were back on I-75. Lucy was taking notes and she wrote "10:18, nose tooters." :rotfl2: The girls were in the back seat with one finger holding down 1 nostril, and the other finger pressing and unpressing the other nostril while blowing out their noses. Basically singing with their noses. Of course we were all laughing. It was short lived, but fun.

At 10:24, we were seeing this!

Told you we were just a few minutes from the border! We pulled into the Florida Welcome Center at 10:26. Yes, I know we just left and we're stopping already, but it's the Florida Welcome Center! Free, delicious OJ samples! And usually, they have a lot of fun stuff inside, but understandably, due to Covid, the displays and such were closed. But, they had the OJ, and they had palm trees! I know Georgia has palm trees, but since it was dark when we arrived in southern Georgia, we didn't see them. Here is how much Maura loves them.

We took some of these too.

We did get some decent pictures inside, even though most of the displays were gone. 3 more days and we'd be here!

Lucy's OJ. You can see Maura in the background with 2 cups. She wanted to try grapefruit juice this time too.

My OJ selfie.

Maura didn't love the grapefruit juice and decided to stick with orange. "But at least I tried it and now I know I don't like it."

The Juice Sisters. On that table behind them they had masks you could take if you needed one. They were required in the building, unless you were drinking your juice. I thought that was a nice touch to offer them. We didn't take any, as we didn't need any!

They still had a few things up advertising stuff to do in Florida.

Let me see your best shark!

I hear Tampa is nice. I've never been. Maybe someday.

Some of the different wild animals that live in Florida.

A Florida bird up on the flag pole.

She had to give the palm tree one more hug. She actually got some little scratches on her from doing this. Palm trees aren't known for their silky smooth bark I guess.

At 10:47 we left the Florida Welcome Center. They were out of the ice cream treats which was sad, because it's the girls' tradition to get the cartoon ice cream, and have it not be what's on the picture. One time it said Sponge Bob and they got Batman. Another time it said Batman and they got Sonic the Hedgehog. It was a little disappointing since it IS our tradition, but we soldiered on. Jason, however, did get his traditional Atomic Fireballs out of the vending machine. I don't know why they always have them at this rest stop. They are packaged in a baggie that is stapled together. Not even an official package. Individually wrapped, but then put in baggie. So weird. And I hate when he gets them because I have to listen to the incessant crunching until they are gone!

The rest of the drive was uneventful. Lucy stopped taking notes until it says "Chris's house, 2:44pm." Chris is Jason's brother, and we'd be hanging with him, his wife, and 2 daughters for a couple days. We hadn't seen them in 2 years, so we were excited. They had just moved into a new house in Melbourne and we were the first family to see it! It was a nice place in a cute subdivision. They of course have a pool, because I think if you live in Florida and don't have a pool you're an outsider. I thing our girls were in that pool with their cousins, A and A, no more than 15 minutes after we arrived. They would have stayed in the water the entire time we were there if we let them.

Maura doing a zen jump into the pool.

I was missing Murphy, our pug, so I got some love from their dog Kona. He loved me a lot.

(continued in next post)

The rest of Sunday the 6th, we just stayed low key. The girls swam. The adults talked. It was nice and relaxing. The next day was Labor Day. Our girls had never seen the ocean before. Well, Lucy did when she was 7 months old, but I don't count that because she has no recollection. They had seen the Gulf of Mexico, but not the Atlantic. Chris and his family live really close to the ocean. Chris is a big surfer and they've always lived close to it. We decided to hit the beach with the caveat that if it was a crowded mad house, we'd leave immediately. Well, we needn't have worried. There was barely another soul around. The beach we were at was called Seagull Park and it's actually the same beach we took Lucy to as a baby, which was fun.

This was in the parking lot. Not sure what kind of tree it is, but Lucy thought it was cool and took a picture.

Then, oh, what's this? ANOTHER palm tree you say?

Ah, here it is. The ocean!

I was hesitant to go in because I hate cold water and I expected the worst, but it was so warm! I was able to walk right in and so the girls did too. The waves were big, but not scary big.

FYI, you will not be seeing me in a bathing suit.

I think this is the picture Jason was taking in the last picture. :D

Lucy's modeling pose.

Maura and her cousin.

It was a beautiful, hot, sunny day. The ocean was beautiful. But honestly, living on Lake Michigan, I often think it looks like the ocean so this wasn't a brand new view for me.

This is a sand flea. I'd never heard of them! They were actually really cool and would dig their way back into the sand if you took them out. Some of them got really big! Alas, this was the only ocean creature we saw at the beach. Maura was REALLY hoping to see a shark (yes, really, she loves them) or a dolphin, or a ray of some kind, but no luck this time.

Clearly Lucy was happy to be there.

We did see a lot of sandpipers, though! They were fun running in and out of the surf.

There was some body surfing.

Poor Maura. She lost her new diving mask she had gotten for her birthday. The wave came over her and just pushed them right off of her head. We looked for them for a good 20 minutes, but they would have been almost impossible to find. Her older cousin, A, had one she didn't use though, and except for the color, it was identical, so she let Maura have that one and keep it.

Right after that last picture was taken too, I had gone back to put my phone by the towels, and suddenly Maura is running up to me crying and panicking. She though Jason was drowning. He was just enjoying the water and had his head in. She though he had hit his head and passed out and was getting pulled out to sea. Thankfully that was not the case. He was just relaxing and probably doing the dead man's float and she panicked. I panicked for a second too, when she said "Dad went under the water and didn't come up." I started scanning the water and see him running up the beach. I told him what happened and he made sure Maura got a big hug. Poor kid.

After a couple hours at the beach, we went back to the house to rest. Well, the adults rested. What did the kids do? Of course you know they went in the pool.

Later in the afternoon, we went for a walk to the little pond near their house and saw this friend.

I think it's a Muscovy Duck. I only know that because I looked it up. This is the pond we saw him in.

We saw these friends too.

The next day, Tuesday the 8th, was our kids' first day of school. Want to see their first day of school pictures?

They did both check in since they're doing school virtually right now. Lucy was actually on for quite a while. Maura just said hello and got back to her vacation.

Later that afternoon we went for a hike in a park near their house. It was a really beautiful park and we saw some huge gopher tortoises. We tried to get a picture, but they were running. Normally, turtles are known to be slow, but not these! They were booking along! We saw a whole bunch of their holes/houses they dig too, hence the name gopher tortoise. The park was really pretty though.

And we DID get a picture of these snapping turtles. There were tons of them!

Look how long their necks are!

I think they were hoping we had a snack for them, but we hadn't brought any turtle food.

It was close to 100 degrees this day, and the sun was out, so our trip to the park was short, but fun.

We headed back to the house for one last evening. More swimming for the kids and talking for the parents. The next morning we'd be on our way to Disney! I promise, in the next update, we'll finally be in the bubble! Thanks for reading!

Dinosaur World looked like a fun stop!

Georgia is the worst state for us too coming from NY lol. It just seems to go on FOREVER. Plus I got a ridiculously expensive speeding ticket there a few years ago and now I'm paranoid about the whole state lol.

We've never gotten to stop in the Florida welcome center since it's usually the middle of the night when we get to it but maybe next time we'll do what you guys did and stop for the night.

I totally see you waving. :) Ugh. Atlanta is almost worse than Chicago. Maybe it's because I'm more familiar with Chicago.

Good My arm hurt after a while.

I don't remember a Wizard of Oz thing, but now I want to! I'm intrigued. Must find out for next time!

Now i have to find it!

About a week after we got home, I got an email from them saying they were now a Wingate.

this is good to know!
Never stopped on the drives but getting older and older it's harder to do that drive straight through!

We went out to the courtyard area to eat our breakfast. Lucy did manage to take several pictures of these guys.

I LOVE THOSE GUYS!!!

We don't have these little geckos (or whatever they are. If you know the correct name, please let me know!) in Wisconsin, so no matter how many we see, it's always exciting. We saw a ton of really tiny ones on the trip, so I don't know if it's lizard hatching season or what, but they were fun.

Did anyone answer this? I really need to know if ther is lizard hatching season!!! Love love love seeing those guys your right we don't get that cool stuff!

Lucy was taking notes and she wrote "10:18, nose tooters." :rotfl2: The girls were in the back seat with one finger holding down 1 nostril, and the other finger pressing and unpressing the other nostril while blowing out their noses. Basically singing with their noses. Of course we were all laughing. It was short lived, but fun.

Fun with teenagers.. I get this.. along with other body parts.. HA!

just left and we're stopping already, but it's the Florida Welcome Center! Free, delicious OJ samples!

It is a rule... You MUST stop at the welcome center!!! YUM OJ!!!

Here is how much Maura loves them.

She needs a Palm tree

We took some of these too.

so cute!

We did get some decent pictures inside, even though most of the displays were gone. 3 more days and we'd be here!

Wow that changed!!
love it!!!
My OJ selfie.

Living the best life!!!

So weird. And I hate when he gets them because I have to listen to the incessant crunching until they are gone!

Im dying..

It was a nice place in a cute subdivision. They of course have a pool, because I think if you live in Florida and don't have a pool you're an outsider.

Believe it or not nut most house do NOT have pools!!! It's INSANE how many don't!

Oh Oh Oh! I LOVE the plants and the pool THIS is paradise!!!
I think the kids do too!!!

Just stop this is so adorable.. I want to hold that puppy too

living on Lake Michigan, I often think it looks like the ocean so this wasn't a brand new view for me.

Good you said this.. I have seen the ocean a few times and i was not impressed either. Now i know why! It' the lake!

Alas, this was the only ocean creature we saw at the beach.

and that is why i have NO interest in going to the beaches
YUCK scary sea creatures are out to EAT YOU

Clearly Lucy was happy to be there.

She is such a beautiful young lady now! Can't believe how grown up she is getting

I started scanning the water and see him running up the beach. I told him what happened and he made sure Maura got a big hug. Poor kid.

that is terrifying!
OMG and a memory that will last FOREVER

I think it's a Muscovy Duck.
This is a really cool duck

We saw a whole bunch of their holes/houses they dig too, hence the name gopher tortoise.
I had to look this up. I can't believe all the cool wildlife they have!!! sadly there is a problem with people painting them?!?!
Got me. :confused3

your report is one of my favorites.. OK going to to an update on mine you inspired me!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter