Disney in a walking boot!

newmannsmomtoo

Earning My Ears
Planning a last minute trip to Disney world for the end of December and my Dr just put me in a walking boot. Wondering if it will be too much of a pain to try and manuver a scooter with the crowds. Also concerned about standing in long lines for long periods of time. Do they offer any special considerations for mobility issues? Thanks in advance!

Planning a last minute trip to Disney world for the end of December and my Dr just put me in a walking boot. Wondering if it will be too much of a pain to try and manuver a scooter with the crowds. Also concerned about standing in long lines for long periods of time. Do they offer any special considerations for mobility issues? Thanks in advance!
Use an ECV and go slow take the ECV in line with you there are a few lines ECV can not go in for those there are wheelchair you can borrow. you will do more walking outside the lines then inside them.

I am sure someone ( @mamabunny who has some great advice on ECV and using one for the first time at Disney) will be around soon to answer any specific question you have about navigating the park in an ECV

Last edited:
Special consideration for any guest in a walking boot, or with any other stamina or mobility issues, is to advise the guest to use/rent a mobility device.

Try not to overdue it! I was in a walking boot a couple years ago and decided not to use a wheelchair because it would take too much time and completely regretted it. If you need to, stop by first aid and get some ice every so often, it might be helpful! Have a good trip!

I went in a walking boot many years ago (2004?) and assumed a wheel chair and scooter would be helpful. They weren't. I hated it; too slow and I couldn't stand seeing everyone from waist level. After one day I just walked on my boot. You have a couple weeks to get used to it and begin healing and as long as you aren't commando I'd just walk.

I was in a boot for almost 5 months this year. I learned to spray deodorant on my leg/foot you will sweat lots! Be careful as you can get athletes foot ( yes I got horrible case and it was boot foot). Clean the liner... maybe get an extra one.

It is cumbersome and not fun. Sorry to be honest. You can walk and stand on it so highly doubtful they’d do a DAS for it. Hope you get better!

Last edited:
Most of the lines are handicap accessible, so if you rent a wheelchair or scooter you can take it into the lines with you. They do not issue the DAS (Disability) Pass for mobility/stamina related issues, you will be advised to rent a mobility device.

First of all, I'm so sorry about the walking boot - it's been a few years, but I did time in one, and there's no way I would have made it even a half day in the Parks in one!

You are right - it will be crowded, and so that seems a bit more intimidating when trying to drive an ECV or scooter. But... think about this: Would it also be worrisome to try and walk, and get jostled by those crowds while wearing the boot? Regardless of whether you walk or ride, the crowds will be the same, so focus on what will be best for *you* and promoting the healing going on inside that boot!

When driving in those kinds of crowds, try to do these things to help make it a bit easier:
- Drive on the right side, (it's generally easier) and remain aware of folks stepping out into the flow of traffic. You don't have to be hard up against the ride side of the walkway, but I find that the further right I can be, typically the easier it is for me to see ahead a little.
- Remember that little kids especially don't understand the laws of physics, and that ECVs don't have instant-stop brakes; they *will* dart right in front of you!
- If there are enough people traveling with you, have someone walk a little ways ahead of you to create a "bubble". If you have enough people, try to station someone on the left, and even the right side as well, to help block folks from walking into your path.
- Don't be tempted to bulldoze through the crowds; the faster you try to go, the harder it is to navigate because you can't see well enough ahead.
- If it's super packed and crowded, pull your traveling companions in close to you; don't be those folks who stretch all the way across the walkway and block everyone else (I know you have seen them! LOL)
- Remember that you are driving a vehicle, and just like driving a car, it requires full attention. If you need to text, take a picture for Facebook or Insta, or do anything that divides your attention, take a moment to stop for safety's sake.

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

Now, let's talk about buses. And ramps. (and Monorails and boats, too - they use portable ramps to get on and off)

At the Resort Hotel, make sure you are parked in the white painted rectangle at the bus stop (unless another guest beat you to it) so that the driver sees you, and knows you are waiting to ride. As the bus approaches, I usually try to wave and smile to let the driver know I will be riding their bus.

When the driver says that it's time to board the bus, just let them know that you are a newbie, and will appreciate all the help they can give you. Remember - they are an *expert* at getting folks on and off the bus, so just take a deep breath, and listen to their instructions, and everything will be fine 🙂

When the ramp comes down, line up on the ramp, and try to go right up the center. At the top of the ramp you will typically have to turn a bit to the right. GO SLOWLY, especially until you are used to the ECV. Even experienced users take this carefully - the last thing you want is to run over the driver, or hit the side of the doorway going in. The drivers will give you instructions and will help as much as they can, but *technically* it is up to you (or a member of your party) to actually get the ECV up into (or back out of) the bus. You will always board first, and exit last.

If you are just too worried about driving on and off the bus, someone who is with you can do that for you. Again, they just have to follow the bus driver's instructions. You can walk up or down the ramp after the driver tells you it is safe to do so.

When it's time to drive off the bus, the most important thing is to make sure that you don't turn your front wheels (or the "tiller" - the steering mechanism) until AFTER your rear wheels are on the ground, and you are completely clear of the ramp. You don't want to catch the edge of the ramp, and tip over!

Boats & the Monorail tend to use a portable aluminum ramp that will be placed for you by a Cast Member. It's to get over the gap between the vehicle and the dock or station. Again, just follow the CM's directions, and take your time. Personally, I love using the boats at Disney Springs, and the ride from HS to Epcot is another favorite.

The new Skyliner Gondolas have a "flat" entrance. You will drive straight in, and a Cast Member will put chocks behind the wheels to keep the ECV from moving during the flight. Just roll up to the Skyliner station, and a CM will tell you where to go and what to do, no worries.

From time to time, you may find that you parked your rental scooter, and it's been moved when you look for it. Cast Members routinely have to shift around scooters and strollers to keep walkways clear, and to fill in blank spots. Because there are so many similar ECVs (especially rental ECVs) it can be easy for your rental to become "lost" in a small sea of similar looking units. So, one of the things we recommend you do is tie a brightly colored length of ribbon, or even a brightly colored cotton bandana somewhere on the scooter. (or decorate it in some other way) That way, you ask the CM who is moving scooters and strollers around if they have seen the scooter with the bright green ribbons on the basket - instead of "the black one" or "the one with a captain's chair".

And always always always take the key if you leave the scooter anywhere. Cast Members know how to disengage the brake to move it if need be.

Remember that you won't park it outside your hotel room - it goes in your hotel room every night to fully recharge - and I know it goes without saying that you don't ever want leave anything in/on the scooter that you don't want to grow legs and "walk" away... It's Disney World, and it's safe, but some folks (and squirrels!) just can't resist temptation!

If you want to make more space in your hotel room, call Housekeeping, and ask them to move the table and chairs out - but don't worry; we have folks here who routinely fit 2 scooters into rooms at POP, so you should be fine.

So that you can have the best trip possible, here's a few more tips, just for you:

- Plan ahead if you are flying. Remember that long lines at TSA - and long concourses inside terminals - can be problematic. You may want to consider bringing along a folding rollator or a wheelchair that someone in your party could push, or arranging for an airport porter service if you will need it.

- If flying in to Orlando, be sure to let Disney's Magical Express know if you will need to use the lift to get in and out of the bus that goes to and from the airport. (you must be seated on/in a wheelchair or ECV to use the lift)

- WDW has a rule - for everyone's safety - that only you ride the ECV. You will undoubtedly see people holding children on their laps while driving their scooters, but it's very dangerous, and I hope you will agree that safety comes first. One ECV, one rider.

- Remember to stay sharp and focused while driving the ECV - people at WDW tend to be doing everything but paying attention to others when they are walking, and many of us here have had folks run right into us, or walk right in front of us as we are moving!

Bipeds don't realize that many scooters can't just stop on a dime; some of them "coast" a bit before coming to a complete stop, even if the driver is hard on the brakes. To help keep everyone safe and whole, I try to make eye contact, smile politely, and offer an cheerful "Excuse me!" when needed. Little kiddos are also prone to running out in front of mobility devices because they are blissfully unaware of the laws of physics.

- If you can, practice a bit with your rental (at the Resort is a great spot for this) prior to going in to the parks. Get used to how it handles, turns, stops and starts. Every ECV is a bit different (just like any other vehicle). I have 2 personal ECVs, identical models and they each have their own "personality" (and name. Because I'm weird like that LOL)

- A few miscellaneous driving tips: anytime at WDW (or anytime using an ECV for that matter) be aware of ramps, hills and slopes. Going up, you will want to lean forward slightly to help shift your center of gravity towards the front of the ECV. Take your time on steep slopes, hills or ramps, and if possible, approach them at a slight angle at the base.

Coming down, be very aware of your speed, and make sure you can brake effectively. Two hands on the wheel!

When crossing the train tracks embedded in Main Street at MK, be sure to cross at an angle. Otherwise, you risk the wheel(s) getting caught, and you could find yourself dumped rather unceremoniously onto Main Street. Everyone wants to have an unforgettable trip - just for the right reasons!

Using an ECV is simply using the best possible available tool to get the most possible enjoyment from your vacation.

If you need glasses, do you refuse to wear them, going through life squinting at everyone and everything? Probably not.

If you need to use a calculator to do math, do you refuse to touch it, and instead resort to pencil and paper - or counting on toes and fingers? Probably not.

Both of those - glasses and calculators - are tools that we use every day to make our lives more efficient. At WDW, many people use an ECV as a tool to improve both their stamina, and their enjoyment of the vacation, and to manage pain or other medical conditions.

There are many people who rent ECVs only at WDW - in their "regular" lives, they never need one or use one. A lot of the folks you will see have "hidden disabilities" that aren't readily apparent. Others simply can't - for whatever reason - manage the (average) 3 to 10 miles *per day* that the average Guest will walk at WDW.

Do what is right for you, and what will help you heal the fastest, and be the safest. Only you can decide.

I hope you have a lovely trip; we'll be right behind you in January! 🙂

Been there, done that, and would never do it again. It was the most miserable experience. Tried a scooter, wheelchair and walking and walking was the least objectionable and easiest mobility wise but limited by my discomfort threshhold. I'd suggest trying all three of these methods in an extremely crowded area close to home like a shopping mall for a minimum of 5 hours and see how you feel. It's hard to simulate Disney crowds but truly try to do so before you go so you know your tolerance levels. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

We just used a wheel chair rental... pushed it around when i got tired sat or was pushed. Just take it easy use the chair to sit when you are waiting in lines.

I would caution against walking long distances using a boot., unless your doctor specifically says that is okay.

You could aggravate the injury as opposed to letting it heal.

Just as you might get a small amount of handiwork done with no difficulty but doing the same repetitive motions gives you blisters on your fingers, it is possible that you could walk a short distance with the boot with no ill effect but walking a mile gets you in big trouble.

If you need ice or painkillers, chances are you are overdoing use of the boot.

I would caution against walking long distances using a boot., unless your doctor specifically says that is okay.

You could aggravate the injury as opposed to letting it heal.

Just as you might get a small amount of handiwork done with no difficulty but doing the same repetitive motions gives you blisters on your fingers, it is possible that you could walk a short distance with the boot with no ill effect but walking a mile gets you in big trouble.

If you need ice or painkillers, chances are you are overdoing use of the boot.
My friend broke her foot and over did it ( not at Disney) took her 3x longer to heal so yes you can do more damage then good by over using a broken foot

I think you definitely need a ecv. No way would I advise anyone to do Disney in a walking boot. I don't think walking 5-10 miles a day every day of your trip is going to be good for any condition that would put you in a boot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter