Disney in August with a 3 month old?

DisDad4Life

Mouseketeer
My family is, shall we say, more than anxious to get back to Disney! Our party is mostly adults with myself, my DS, DDIL, DD, DSIL, my sister and a 1 1/2 year old. On top of this my DDIL is pregnant with my 2nd granddaughter (yoohoo!!!).

So our conundrum - DGD #2 will be 3 months old when we are planning on going in mid August. I'm concerned (as is the mom-to-be) about taking the 3 mo to Disney when it can be as hot as the surface of the sun. One obvious option is to delay the trip. Both the mom-to-be and my sister are teachers, so our options are pretty much limited to summer or the higher-priced times of the holiday season (which I already know we're priced out of) or spring break. We took DGD #1 to Disney this past April when she was 4 mo and had a wonderful time and she did great, but I know August is a much different animal than April.

So I'm asking my Disney community friends for your thoughts. Do I play the bad (responsible?) guy and put the kibosh on an August trip and delay it for another year, or is Disney in August with a 3 mo a reasonable/doable thing to do? Also, if any of you have done this I would appreciate any suggestions in how to keep the baby cool, healthy and unmiserable (is that a word?) in the August heat if we go.

Thank you!!

I don’t have much experience, and can’t tell you what I would do...however a frequent poster on these boards did it with a 1 month old and lived to tell about it. Trip report link https://www.disboards.com/threads/i...isney-with-a-1-month-old-new-2-13-15.3324012/

This might give you some tips, and ideas of how it would go.
Thank you for this! I've read through some of it and will read more later, but its nice to see a family had a fun and successful trip with a 1 mo in August!

We've done several August trips. I would not take an infant. Sure, its possible that it would be fine. But it is beyond hot. And we've had torrential- like Ive never seen before in my life- rain. Lightening and thunder and water gathering up so much that we had to walk barefoot as it was over our shoes, and for hours, not just a quick storm.
Risking sunburn, overheating, dehydration with an infant is not worth it in my eyes. And a baby that young certainly won't get anything from the trip.

Get a battery powered stroller fan connected to portable charger, take lots of breaks ..understand that you won't be able to just power through it and simply won't get much done.

I've been twice in August, once before kids and once with our 5 and 8 year olds. Even with kids at those ages, it was miserable at times. The heat is so unbearable. I would be extremely concerned with a baby that young overheating. Strollers are hot, carriers would be hot. The rain at times was crazy, I wouldn't want a baby under a hot stroller rain cover for what can be a long period of time. I totally get wanting to go at that time, I'm a teacher too. It stinks when we can only go during extreme heat or very pricey vacation weeks. Good luck with what ever you decide!

My family is, shall we say, more than anxious to get back to Disney! Our party is mostly adults with myself, my DS, DDIL, DD, DSIL, my sister and a 1 1/2 year old. On top of this my DDIL is pregnant with my 2nd granddaughter (yoohoo!!!).

So our conundrum - DGD #2 will be 3 months old when we are planning on going in mid August. I'm concerned (as is the mom-to-be) about taking the 3 mo to Disney when it can be as hot as the surface of the sun. One obvious option is to delay the trip. Both the mom-to-be and my sister are teachers, so our options are pretty much limited to summer or the higher-priced times of the holiday season (which I already know we're priced out of) or spring break. We took DGD #1 to Disney this past April when she was 4 mo and had a wonderful time and she did great, but I know August is a much different animal than April.

So I'm asking my Disney community friends for your thoughts. Do I play the bad (responsible?) guy and put the kibosh on an August trip and delay it for another year, or is Disney in August with a 3 mo a reasonable/doable thing to do? Also, if any of you have done this I would appreciate any suggestions in how to keep the baby cool, healthy and unmiserable (is that a word?) in the August heat if we go.

Thank you!!
My sister and I have both done it with 3 month olds the 3rd week of Aug., and I also did it with a 7 week old the 3rd week of Sept. It will be fine. DO not bring the infant car seat part of the stroller - gets way too hot, but a regular full size stroller and maybe a baby carrier and you guys will be fine. Def. bring a stroller fan and rain cover. My mom gave me frog tog cooler things to use with the baby, but I never did. We usually plan a longer lunch somewhere indoors with air conditioning (does not have to be table service, but figure out where the indoor places to eat are, and we tried doing indoor shows in the late afternoon during the hottest, more likely for rain times. Honestly, for the most part it didn't slow us down and we're park opening to close type ppl for a week and it worked well. Sunblock was never an issue- there's so much to do indoors and when we were out we had the baby in the shaded stroller or with a light blanket sheet for the few times we were standing I direct sunlight for something. I don't think I'd do a water park with a 3 month old, but otherwise I wouldn't hesitate for a moment, just go in knowing you'll have a 3 month old I tow just as you would at home. - The 3 month old will be way easier than the 1.5 year old lol.

Last edited:

We took our 13 month old the first week in September and it was VERY hard to keep her cool and hydrated enough. We had 2 stroller fans, a great sun shade, frog toggs, and she was old enough to drink water and juice. We did frequent breaks, long meals, short days, and she would still get overheated because she is a naturally warm blooded kid. There is no way I would take a baby that young who I can’t give extra fluid besides more breastmilk or formula, and can’t use sunscreen on so I have to keep them under a stroller canopy all day.

We took a 12 week old at the beginning of October. Literally Oct 1-8th 4 years ago. It is doable. Highs we're in the low 90s that year I believe. Very hot. I was concerned but very very doable. A few things I did. I got a good stroller ( city mini). I brought cooling towels, my carrier( only wore baby in the am and pm...not in the hottest part of the day). When I did wear her and it was really warm I put the cooling towel bt me and baby. I bought a good fan that pushed a good amount of air around and used a thin blanket to block more sun but kept it where air got in on 3 sides. The fan helped alot! Feed them more than they normally eat to stay hydrated. We did alot of 400 to 430 meals to get in air conditioning. And did shows as much as possible from about 2 to 4. We had the easiest trip! Babies are so easy if they are healthy. Ours had horrible reflux so we made sure to carry a couple of outfits for baby and an extra shirt for me...but no real problems.

I don’t have much experience, and can’t tell you what I would do...however a frequent poster on these boards did it with a 1 month old and lived to tell about it. Trip report link https://www.disboards.com/threads/i...isney-with-a-1-month-old-new-2-13-15.3324012/

This might give you some tips, and ideas of how it would go.

Thank you!!
we took a large family trip in August 2016 which included 4 month old granddaughter. the main problem we found was it was too hot to baby wear. both mom and granddaughter loved the double stroller we rented off site. back went almost flat. it was also too hot to keep her in carseat attached to stroller. baby did nurse more while at WDW because of heat. from our trip I would be more worried about other child cool than baby as 4.5 year old had more trouble with the heat than baby did.

I started taking my daughter at 3 months. Prepare for shorter days and plan to be inside a lot. Plan your day out at Animal Kingdom carefukly, there isn’t much shade there and a lot of the attractions are outside.

I absolutely would NOT take a three month old infant (or younger) to Disney. Even if it is considered "doable" it is so not worth the risking the health of the infant. It's not just the sun and dehydration but all of the exposures to the germs, etc.

We personally waited until at least 2 to do summer trips. When DS was 3 months and 15 months, we went in April instead. We went in August last year, he was 2.5 years old and did fine.

I just think for small infants who can't fully regulate their body heat, combined with being in a hot stroller or carrier, it's too hot in the summer. BUT, you know, infants do live in FL soooo....

We personally waited until at least 2 to do summer trips. When DS was 3 months and 15 months, we went in April instead. We went in August last year, he was 2.5 years old and did fine.

I just think for small infants who can't fully regulate their body heat, combined with being in a hot stroller or carrier, it's too hot in the summer. BUT, you know, infants do live in FL soooo....

We lived in AZ when my sister was like 4 months old...we survived.

I think the key to an August trip (or any trip with an infant) is accept IT'S GOING TO BE DIFFERENT. Don't be in the parks in the hottest part of the day (or eat lunch indoors) and flexibility is key with kids that young. But if everyone's going to spend the whole trip freaked out, then it's not worth it

They live there, but I bet there aren't too many Florida mamas saying " Hey, its August and 95 degrees! Let's head to the theme park with our newborn!"

I'd let your daughter in law make the decision.

We did take a 2 month old in May/June so not the same as August but it was during a heat wave and temps were a bit higher than normal. Baby did just fine. I had to drink so much extra though as a nursing mum. If this is their first child, then I'd be more inclined to say they can handle it better than if they have another child to worry about. If it's just one child, they can easily hang out in an air conditioned place and just sit around if they need a break. But if the 1.5 year old is their other child AND they have an infant on top of that, then it's going to be much harder. In either case, I'd let the parents decide what they are willing to deal with.

We did take a 2 month old in May/June so not the same as August but it was during a heat wave and temps were a bit higher than normal. Baby did just fine. I had to drink so much extra though as a nursing mum. If this is their first child, then I'd be more inclined to say they can handle it better than if they have another child to worry about. If it's just one child, they can easily hang out in an air conditioned place and just sit around if they need a break. But if the 1.5 year old is their other child AND they have an infant on top of that, then it's going to be much harder. In either case, I'd let the parents decide what they are willing to deal with.
I agree 100%! It will be the parents-to-be's decision on whether or not they are willing to go to Disney World with their 3 month old in August. No question about that.

We have been to Disney World many times over the past 12 years and no longer feel the need to rush through things or spend extended periods of time in the parks. Our norm is to hit the parks in the morning, take a nice break in the afternoon (pool time and/or since we're likely to stay club level we'll spend time in the resort lounge cooling down and relaxing), then go back out for dinner and strolling around another park. Having visited with a 4 month old last April we did get a first look at how to adjust our plans with this new dynamic, but of course the weather was much more conducive for her than it might be for our new little one.

The 1.5 year old is my daughter's, so there would be two sets of parents with a child each. With myself and my sister along for the ride there would be plenty of hands to help out should we decide to do this trip. But we do need to consider all factors before making that decision and I absolutely appreciate all the concerns and suggestions everyone has made! Thanks to all for your replies!

They live there, but I bet there aren't too many Florida mamas saying " Hey, its August and 95 degrees! Let's head to the theme park with our newborn!"

I took my two month old to Univerisal with her doctors okay. She mostly stayed in her stroller and no one was allowed to touch her except us. It was October though...

My daughter has been going to Disney since she was 3 months old. She was easier to take as an infant (and she actually started to really enjoy going by the she was five months - we have pictures of her grinning and reaching for Mickey from 5 months on). She actually took her first steps in Magic Kingdom (she was going for a character).

The older she got the harder she got though. At 18 months she wanted to take off and explore. Most kids are walking by that age and they just want to go, go, go. It’d be hard to handle a baby and a toddler at the same time.

definitely stay onsite, it will be easier for the baby’s parents, light clothes, raincoat for the stroller and a fan. Do your research, know where the baby centers are located a used them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter