Disney Insurance Question

diznymom

DIS Veteran
We have a situation.

We (DH, DS19 and I) are sailing the first of June. We are sailing concierge and are past our PIF date.

We are doing this cruise to celebrate DS19 graduating from high school. DS19 is not graduating now. He has moved out and not going to school.

We have the cruise insurance from DCL. Do I have any recourse if DS19 does not sail with us? We are not sure if he is sailing or not.

TIA for all advice. Please be kind and do not judge.

We have a situation.

We (DH, DS19 and I) are sailing the first of June. We are sailing concierge and are past our PIF date.

We are doing this cruise to celebrate DS19 graduating from high school. DS19 is not graduating now. He has moved out and not going to school.

We have the cruise insurance from DCL. Do I have any recourse if DS19 does not sail with us? We are not sure if he is sailing or not.

I believe, if he doesn't sail, you can file for repayment of his cruise fare & excursions. At worst, if the insurance doesn't cover it (I'm not sure "didn't graduate" is a covered situation), DCL might give you back 75% credit toward another cruise.

I believe, if he doesn't sail, you can file for repayment of his cruise fare & excursions. At worst, if the insurance doesn't cover it (I'm not sure "didn't graduate" is a covered situation), DCL might give you back 75% credit toward another cruise.

Do you know if that 75% would be toward a cruise I book, or would it have to be one that my son books?

We have a situation.

You will have to get the answers directly from DCL. Standard for concierge for a refund is 75-45 days from sail date = loss of deposit, 44-30 = 50% loss of full vacation fare, 29-15 = 75% loss of full vacation fare, 14-0 = 100% loss. Only DCL can give the answer as to whether or not your son's possible reason for not sailing is a covered situation.

Thanks you, UnderTheRadar. I'm waiting to hear back from our son to see if he is going or not. DH and I have come to the decision that if DS19 goes, he goes; if he doesn't, he doesn't. We will just eat the losses if he doesn't.

Probably contact DCL to find out specifically the penalty since you are 1) concierge and 2) within the penalty period anyway. Also they can answer questions about the credit offer if insurance denies the claim.

But you will likely need to contact the insurance company (which isn't actually "Disney") for specifics about what the insurance covers or won't cover. Like PP mentions, I'm not sure "decided not to go" or "dropped out of school" will be covered for this particular insurance. My understanding is the credit offered by DCL is specific to the passenger and not based on who actually paid for the cruise. But I could be wrong.

:hug: I hope things work out for your family -- and that goes beyond the cruise.

We recently switched one adult passenger for another (husband couldn’t go last minute due to work, so we brought grandpa along instead), and it only cost $50 to change passengers. So if you’ve got someone else who you could take, at least it wouldn’t be a total waste. We did it about two weeks before departure, and had no issues whatsoever.

Good luck!

I had to get the insurance refund last year when a work thing forced us to cancel our concierge sailing, Its a pain you have send them proof you paid for cruise etc. then after a few weeks you get a certificate for 75% of fare minus port fees and taxes, that you mail to DCL then you can apply that future cruise.
chris

We have a situation.

What has DCL and the insurance company told you when you spoke with them?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter