Disney inventory of DVC rooms of cash vs waitlist

sachilles

DVC coming to this space soon
Just curious how this works.

Long story short, at the 11 month window, we booked a copper creek studio for a week.

at 125 days out, we decide we'd like to add a day to our reservation. I look online, and no availability through DVC,......not really surprised. So do the waitlist thing.

While figuring out plan B, I look on the regular disney lodging site, and copper creek studios are available for the one day I want to add. Priced about $100 more than the point value(at $19 one time use point cost).

The resort is suppose to be mostly sold out, but does disney retain bits of inventory as a matter of course? Do they have ownership points to secure their own reservations, that they turn around and resell? Is it possible if nobody buys the reservation by a certain time, they'll release the inventory back to the general DVC pool? Just curious how it works....I'm sure there is some logic. It just seems odd that I can't use my points to buy the open room, especially when it seems to be generally accepted that the Studio's are in short supply.
Maybe an artifact of breakage from 2 bedroom lockoffs or something?

I guess to look at it differently, it would be the same if I sold off a set date reservation on the open market and try to make money doing it, which I would be able to do.

Different inventory. Disney retains ownership of about 2% or so of the resort, Plus, when DVC members trade out for things like a cruise, etc. points based rooms are pulled from inventory and given to Disney to rent for cash to pay for those trades.

So this is what you are seeing when you check cash stays with Disney

Disney owns more than 2% of CCV, if I recall correctly. It's closer to 5-8%.

A good way to look at cash inventory is that Disney paid for those units - with points.

If you do decide to book on cash, call MS first to see what they have. Then you can probably just link the night to your points stay. If you book a cash night through Disney Reservation Center, it can't be linked and you must check out and check in again. And maybe move.

Right now we are waitlisted in both studio types. Ideally we'd stay at copper creek as we are extending in hope of attending the moonlight madness event that night.
My plan B, is use my marriott points at the swan. I have that reserved as well.
Waitlisted with the 31 day option. If we don't get it by 31 days out, then Swan is the go to option. If we get it, I can cancel swan.
Our main reservation ends the day of the moonlight event, so we should still get that ticket reservation preference.
I had booked our flight via united miles. They had rescheduled our departure flight from a late one out of MCO to an earlier one, so I was able to get them to reschedule to an early departure the following day, so that's how we ended up with the "extra" day in florida, though it's really only about an extra 12 hours. :rotfl:

Sachilles - I'm wondering how this worked out for you. I am in the same boat now. Did your waitlist come through?

Sachilles - I'm wondering how this worked out for you. I am in the same boat now. Did your waitlist come through?
Was looking last week for swan or dolphin for a trip for a friend sold out 14th to 21st february
Patrick

My waitlist did come through, same room type. So it is now one reservation, and will not have to change rooms.

Of course my new hiccup is my kids hockey team is doing pretty well this season and end of year championship game(if they make it) falls squarely in the middle of the trip. Ugg.
managed to get moonlight magic tickets for the AK on Feb 25 and MK March 3.
So it all worked out as well as could be expected.

My waitlist did come through, same room type. So it is now one reservation, and will not have to change rooms.

Of course my new hiccup is my kids hockey team is doing pretty well this season and end of year championship game(if they make it) falls squarely in the middle of the trip. Ugg.
managed to get moonlight magic tickets for the AK on Feb 25 and MK March 3.
So it all worked out as well as could be expected.
So glad for you have a wonderful time
Patrick

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!