Disney is flooding ABC Networks with Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JERSEY8CAR

Earning My Ears
I guess Disney's idea of Star Wars land will sell itself and plan of not advertising Galaxy's Edge didn't work. They are now going into panic mode and flooding the TV market with Star Wars Galaxys Edge.

Disney announced that the Disney Family Television Networks will be taken over by the widely popular Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge! ABC, Freeform, Disney Channel, Disney Junior, and ESPN will be showcasing some fan favorite characters, offer Easter eggs, family vacation giveaways!! How about maybe lowering the AP... I guess if they did that Star Wars Galaxy Edge would be a complete failure!!

Here are the flood gates being opened:
  • Tuesday, September 24
    • “Live With Kelly and Ryan” (check local listings)
  • Thursday, September 26
    • “The View” (11 a.m. EST)
    • “Tamron Hall” (check local listings)
    • “Strahan, Sara, and Keke” (1 p.m. EST)
    • “Nightline” (check local listing

• Tuesday, September 24
    • “black-ish” (9:30 p.m.)
  • Wednesday, September 25
    • “The Goldbergs” (8 p.m.)
    • “Modern Family” (9 p.m.)
  • Friday, September 27
    • “American Housewife” (8 p.m.)
  • Sunday, September 29
    • “America’s Funniest Home Videos”(7 p.m.)
    • “The Rookie” (10 p.m.)
  • Monday, September 30
    • “Dancing With The Stars” (8 p.m.)

I disagree with you on this. Timing on this is something new. Previously with TSL and Pandora, Disney promoted the new lands and the new attractions heavily prior to the opening on their Disney family of Networks before they were open to the public.

Pandora
Aired on ABC - May 25, 2017
Open to the public - May 27, 2017

TSL
Aired on ABC - May 5, 2018
Open to the public - June 30, 2018

Star Wars: Galaxy Edge
Open to the public - August 29, 2019
Airing on ABC - September 24, 2019

Almost a month later to promote.

I disagree with you on this. Timing on this is something new. Previously with TSL and Pandora, Disney promoted the new lands and the new attractions heavily prior to the opening on their Disney family of Networks before they were open to the public.

Pandora
Aired on ABC - May 25, 2017
Open to the public - May 27, 2017

TSL
Aired on ABC - May 5, 2018
Open to the public - June 30, 2018

Star Wars: Galaxy Edge
Open to the public - August 29, 2019
Airing on ABC - September 24, 2019

Almost a month later to promote.
Yes the timing is different however that is because they didn’t think they would need to promote SWGE like those other lands. That obviously wasn’t the case. This stuff was added later due to that.

I have been really shocked at the outcome of Star Wars - obviously Disney is, too. I've seen a lot of comments floating around that the hard core SW fans (who I think Disney was really counting on) are disappointed because it's not a "real" land from any movie. I'm also guessing the staged opening hurt.

But... do you think that we're starting to see Disney hit their price ceiling? Have they finally started over-pricing themselves?

They could have purposely waited on the promotions for several reasons:
1) To avoid confusion of which park had SWGE open.
2) To help promote Episode IX
3) To help promote it more for the future when it is FULLY open.

Posters are missing the obvious. The new TV season started this week. This is really the earliest Disney could have done this kind of promotion. Previous lands opened during the TV season, hence the difference in timing. This has been planned for months. I doubt it has anything to do with attendance.

I'll speculate we'll see some kind of second wave when RoR opens.

Is SWGE a success? I have no idea how much $$$ Disney is making off sales of sabers, droids etc. I have no idea how many guests are buying Batuu currency cards and leaving the $100 minimum on the card.

Posters are missing the obvious. The new TV season started this week. This is really the earliest Disney could have done this kind of promotion. Previous lands opened during the TV season, hence the difference in timing. This has been planned for months. I doubt it has anything to do with attendance.

Is SWGE a success? I have no idea how much $$$ Disney is making off sales of sabers, droids etc. I have no idea how many guests are buying Batuu currency cards and leaving the $100 minimum on the card.
Toy Story Land didn’t open during the major tv season really.

They JUST filmed those Goldberg episodes in Disneyland very recently. As in, like within the last couple weeks. And talk shows don't plan this kind of promo THAT far in advance.

Why did Good morning America, the View and kelly and Ryan promote TSL and Pandora before it opened. These shows aren't part of the new TV season.

SWGE got a ton of publicity across multiple non Disney platforms before it opened. CNN was doing stories about for a month before it opened at DSL. They had long interviews with Towbridge, Chapek, and Iger. They had video tours of the land. Similar things happen with other news organizations and entertainment shows/sites. The problem wasn't that general public didn't know about SWGE. The public knew it was coming and knew what it was.

That is why I think what they are doing now is not timed properly. They aren't going to attract significantly more people with the same stuff that didn't work before. Wait until Rise is ready to open. It is supposed to be one of the best, if not the best ride, at any park. Drive people to the park when they can experience that. That will change the perception of SWGE. The pay off is too small for the high risk involved now. You can potentially drive a few more people to the park right now, but the risk is they will leave as unimpressed as most of the general public has been so far. They tell others that it is no big deal and they will be hesitant to give it shot again when Rise opens. It just further devalues the brand in those peoples' mind and in the minds of their friends/family that they share their experience with after the trip.

I have been really shocked at the outcome of Star Wars - obviously Disney is, too. I've seen a lot of comments floating around that the hard core SW fans (who I think Disney was really counting on) are disappointed because it's not a "real" land from any movie. I'm also guessing the staged opening hurt.

But... do you think that we're starting to see Disney hit their price ceiling? Have they finally started over-pricing themselves?

It doesn’t seem like (at this time) it’s drawing in Star Wars fans who were not already Disney fans and park goers. At this point it just seems like the opening of any other major ride or land. I think we all thought there would be a mass of new additional visitors because of Star Wars increasing crowds across the entirety of Disneyland and WDW but that doesn’t seem to have happened, and I would be surprised if ROTR impacts crowds far beyond GE itself and Disneyland/DHS.

I do think they may have really overestimated how many Star Wars specific guests it would draw. I am interested to see how the hotel will perform, especially in the long term.

It doesn’t seem like (at this time) it’s drawing in Star Wars fans who were not already Disney fans and park goers. At this point it just seems like the opening of any other major ride or land. I think we all thought there would be a mass of new additional visitors because of Star Wars increasing crowds across the entirety of Disneyland and WDW but that doesn’t seem to have happened, and I would be surprised if ROTR impacts crowds far beyond GE itself and Disneyland/DHS.

I do think they may have really overestimated how many Star Wars specific guests it would draw. I am interested to see how the hotel will perform, especially in the long term.

I'm going to bet Disney is a bit worried about it.

And yes, I agree... the hype was all how horribly crowded the parks were going to be. It was going to increase crowds clear throughout all the parks, Hollywood Studios would be horrible etc... We switched our frigging vacation over it! And... what a flop, really.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!