Disney is flooding ABC Networks with Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Fandom Menace people are also known for harassing Star Wars personalities on social media and decrying "SJW" inclusion into the new trilogy. They're pretty terrible. And I say this as someone who didn't care for The Last Jedi. I just...don't join media campaigns about it about it because there are more important things in life.

For what it's worth, Galaxy's Edge was packed this past weekend. The line for Smuggler's Run went past Oga's at one point.

I made a deal with my son (he was 21). I told him he couldn't go to see the first of the new trilogy until he watched the original trilogy. There are sections of ep. 7 that mean a whole more if you do that. After that, he was hooked.

Sweet! Wish I'd thought of that! LOL That dude (DVCcurious) is gonna be eating crow in a few months. And I will come back to this thread to remind him of that...because I'm absolutely that petty. LOL
Will you admit I was right about Solo?

I said there was a boycott and it wouldn’t top $1 billion

Will you admit I was right?

Will you admit I was right about Solo?

I said there was a boycott and it wouldn’t top $1 billion

Will you admit I was right?

I'm not sure what you'd like for me to "admit" you were right about. I don't think Solo not clearing $1 billion had anything to do with your supposed boycott. I haven't seen it and it had nothing to do with your cute little boycott. It's the Star Wars movie nobody asked for. Hell, Disney knew it wasn't going to do well. Disney fired the directors a few weeks before filming was set to end and brought in Ron Howard hoping to salvage it. Solo not clearing $1 billion had nothing to do with a boycott. It just wasn't a good movie.

I think that Disney is just toning down it's Star Wars marketing after the Last Jedi -- both of which had toys that sat on the shelves for years (and still there to this day in some cases). Personally, the Last Jedi just didn't have enough iconic characters or ships to sell toys -- no one is buying a Rose Tico or Admiral Holdo figure. So now with "Force Friday" .. there wasn't the big hoopla there was for Last Jedi. The Last Jedi had Star Wars displays at the front of Target and all around the store, with life-size cutouts of all the major characters you could take fun Augmented Reality photos with.
This year? There was a small display in one aisle at Target and Walmart and not much in it (a lot was just still old stuff from the past few years). Frozen had more merch and representation than Star Wars.

Also, Star Wars costumes (and ONLY Star Wars costumes)are buy one/get one free at party City. That seems crazy to me considering there is a new movie coming out in just two months. Meanwhile Frozen 2 and Toy Story costumes are full price AND the most expensive of all the costumes in the store.

So Disney overdid it with the Star Wars marketing during the Last Jedi era -- and are paying the price and cutting back.

I think Star Wars Galaxy's Edge will be fine .. especially once the new movie opens and Rise of the Resistance opens .. though I do worry how the events of the movie will affect the land. What if the movie has the Falcon being blown up? What if the First Order and Kylo ren are soundly defeated? How will that make sense going forward to have this land "stuck in time" between the events of Episode VIII and IX?

I haven't seen it...
It just wasn't a good movie.

If you fix #1, you'll realize #2 is wrong :P

I think Disney screwed up the release date of Solo more than anything. Too soon after Infinity War & Fox's Deadpool 2, weather starting to get nice so not everyone's going to want to spend every weekend at the movie theater. Public relations and speculation regarding the director switch and reshoots certainly didn't help. They'd have been better off waiting and releasing it Dec. 2018.

I'm not sure what you'd like for me to "admit" you were right about. I don't think Solo not clearing $1 billion had anything to do with your supposed boycott. I haven't seen it and it had nothing to do with your cute little boycott. It's the Star Wars movie nobody asked for. Hell, Disney knew it wasn't going to do well. Disney fired the directors a few weeks before filming was set to end and brought in Ron Howard hoping to salvage it. Solo not clearing $1 billion had nothing to do with a boycott. It just wasn't a good movie.

Solo was in fact a good movie - superfluous for sure, but actually very good. It was really the victim of poor timing coming too soon after the previous Star Wars movie and being sandwiched between Deadpool and Avengers. That hurt it the most. Did the supposed boycott have any impact? Maybe a little, but usually those hardcore fanbase driven initiatives are barely a drop in the bucket.

I think Disney screwed up the release date of Solo more than anything. Too soon after Infinity War & Fox's Deadpool 2, weather starting to get nice so not everyone's going to want to spend every weekend at the movie theater. Public relations and speculation regarding the director switch and reshoots certainly didn't help. They'd have been better off waiting and releasing it Dec. 2018.

You posted that as I typed. Spot on.

Solo was in fact a good movie - superfluous for sure, but actually very good. It was really the victim of poor timing coming too soon after the previous Star Wars movie and being sandwiched between Deadpool and Avengers. That hurt it the most. Did the supposed boycott have any impact? Maybe a little, but usually those hardcore fanbase driven initiatives are barely a drop in the bucket.

I can't argue any of that, especially since I haven't seen it. I'm basing my opinion off of the reviews I've seen, people I have talked to, and the fact the directors were fired and they brought in Ron hoping to salvage it. I suppose it's like Rogue One. A lot of people killed it, I personally liked it. I know I had/have zero interest in Solo. I do agree that it suffered from poor timing. With that said, major, major movies are released in December, so I don't know releasing it then would have helped. As for any supposed boycott, it didn't have a $600 million effect (previous 3 Star Wars made $1 billion+ each as opposed to Solo making less than $400 million). So DVCcurious being delusional enough to think his "boycott" was successful against Solo is pure fantastical fantasy on his part.

I can't argue any of that, especially since I haven't seen it. I'm basing my opinion off of the reviews I've seen, people I have talked to, and the fact the directors were fired and they brought in Ron hoping to salvage it. I suppose it's like Rogue One. A lot of people killed it, I personally liked it. I know I had/have zero interest in Solo. I do agree that it suffered from poor timing. With that said, major, major movies are released in December, so I don't know releasing it then would have helped. As for any supposed boycott, it didn't have a $600 million effect (previous 3 Star Wars made $1 billion+ each as opposed to Solo making less than $400 million). So DVCcurious being delusional enough to think his "boycott" was successful against Solo is pure fantastical fantasy on his part.

I get ya. Honestly, if you like Star Wars, Solo is worth a watch. If you were into Clone Wars expect to be delighted by it. The production did have trouble, but Ron Howard I think was able to right the ship. I'd love to see what he could with his own Star Wars movie star tot finish.

I'm not a fan of Solo. I found it extremely boring and there were parts that made me very angry, but that's just my opinion.

The most ironic part of the Fandom Menace "boycott" is that Solo is by far the most "fan-friendly" and "conservative" movie of the Disney era, yet they didn't want to see it.

no one is buying a Rose Tico or Admiral Holdo figure.

I did. *shrug*

It's not really like those groups - they are generally fans who were very dissatisfied with The Last Jedi for various reasons. Often cited are the portrayal of Luke Skywalker, Leia, Rey's parentage, and the nature of The Force - all of which did not match their expectations. There are other issues too, but they are too cringe-worthy to mention. This has led to these fans rejecting Kathleen Kennedy outright, even though most fans had liked The Force Awakens and Rogue One.

Personally, as a long-time Star Wars fan, I don't really see it anyway. TLJ wasn't my favorite SW movie to be sure, but it was perfectly fine. Most of the cited issues really aren't anything to worry about, and I bet Episode IX will tie it all up nicely so that it all makes sense. TFA was too safe of a movie in my opinion, but it pleased the fans. TLJ may have swung too far into unexpected territory, but I still respect the effort. I bet IX will make it all okay and this will be a non-issue. Then again, I like the Prequels so what do I know?

Hello there!

You seem very sensible.

I actually really like Solo and I was skeptical going in.

Please give it a shot sometime as you may be surprised!

Right ... whoever decided to move up Solo to May just 6 months after Last Jedi should have been fired. There was no reason for it. It's not like it was a Marvel movie that 'tied into" the Skywalker Saga. This was a totally different timeframe of a movie

I feel that Disney may have seen the writing on the wall and wanted to get Solo out there before the brand potentially crashed and burned. There was just no type for hype or build-up .. new toys were introduced .. but in MAY not during the lucrative Christmas season ..etc.

It's like they purposely set up Solo to fail by releasing it early .. which just then cascaded into all sorts of issues .. increased negativity around the Star Wars brand .. the absence of "Star Wars" merch in stores and in the general consumer mindsight for over a year, etc.

Right ... whoever decided to move up Solo to May just 6 months after Last Jedi should have been fired. There was no reason for it. It's not like it was a Marvel movie that 'tied into" the Skywalker Saga. This was a totally different timeframe of a movie

I feel that Disney may have seen the writing on the wall and wanted to get Solo out there before the brand potentially crashed and burned. There was just no type for hype or build-up .. new toys were introduced .. but in MAY not during the lucrative Christmas season ..etc.

It's like they purposely set up Solo to fail by releasing it early .. which just then cascaded into all sorts of issues .. increased negativity around the Star Wars brand .. the absence of "Star Wars" merch in stores and in the general consumer mindsight for over a year, etc.

Yeah, but the worst thing is that the folks like The Fandom Menace see this and claim it as a "victory" and think they have something to do with it. It validates them, when it's really a lot of factors contributing to things.

Last edited:
Yeah, but the worst thing is that the folks like The Fandom Menace see this and claim it as a "victory" and think they have something to do with it. It validates them, when it's really a lot of factors contributing to things.
Its weird ... it is like they want the franchise (that they supposedly love) to die .. and die painfully so they can say I TOLD YOU SO!. They drone on endlessly about the failure of SWGE or how Star Wars Resistance ONLY got two seasons, etc. etc. It is just odd. I guess it is like most of the cable news networks --- if it gets them views, that is all they really care about.

Its weird ... it is like they want the franchise (that they supposedly love) to die .. and die painfully so they can say I TOLD YOU SO!. They drone on endlessly about the failure of SWGE or how Star Wars Resistance ONLY got two seasons, etc. etc. It is just odd. I guess it is like most of the cable news networks --- if it gets them views, that is all they really care about.

You know, it is. I try to be understanding, because I have been "hurt" by franchises I love, but with Star Wars I really don't see what it is that set so many off. TLJ wasn't really that different for any other Star Wars movie. Yeah, it zagged when we expected a zig, but it didn't undermine the basic story as so many think. Luke's actions make perfect sense and are well within his character. Jedi have a long tradition of hiding away and questioning the rightness of their stance. In the end he stepped up and saved everyone as a hero. Even if I didn't like every plot point, I'll at least give them until Ep. IX to tie it all together. I think a lot of it stems form "other" stuff that I prefer not to go into - all I can do is shake my head at that.

I do get the passionate love that fans have for their fictional universes. I feel it all the time and I'm more than happy to dissect and criticize this stuff - sometimes it even makes me angry, so I understand the emotion here, just not the reason in this case.

You know, it is. I try to be understanding, because I have been "hurt" by franchises I love, but with Star Wars I really don't see what it is that set so many off. TLJ wasn't really that different for any other Star Wars movie. Yeah, it zagged when we expected a zig, but it didn't undermine the basic story as so many think. Luke's actions make perfect sense and are well within his character. Jedi have a long tradition of hiding away and questioning the rightness of their stance. In the end he stepped up and saved everyone as a hero. Even if I didn't like every plot point, I'll at least give them until Ep. IX to tie it all together. I think a lot of it stems form "other" stuff that I prefer not to go into - all I can do is shake my head at that.

I do get the passionate love that fans have for their fictional universes. I feel it all the time and I'm more than happy to dissect and criticize this stuff - sometimes it even makes me angry, so I understand the emotion here, just not the reason in this case.
The only I wish is that JJ did the Last Jedi too. Having a totally different director to do the second film of a TRILOGY just seems odd. So the tone and style of some of the characters changed from one movie to the next because the creative force behind it (the directory) changed. So it felt OFF.

The only I wish is that JJ did the Last Jedi too. Having a totally different director to do the second film of a TRILOGY just seems odd. So the tone and style of some of the characters changed from one movie to the next because the creative force behind it (the directory) changed. So it felt OFF.

Yeah, but I think it'll all smooth out by the end. The OT had three different director's after all (and that was the original plan here too). I think JJ was brought in as a reliable "fixer" though I don't really think too much needed fixing.

Disagree (with the bolded), but that's OK.

I do have one other question though. If you guys dislike "Fandom Menace" so much, why do you pay it so much attention? I'd never heard of it until I read it on this board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter