Disney J1 Cultural Exchange Program - Summer

mickeymom69

Earning My Ears
Hi all,
My DD18 has applied for the summer program at WDW, and I'm hoping to hear back from someone who might have done this recently or who has a kid who has done this recently. There is no cut off date currently on the job posting so she really isn't sure when she might hear back if she has moved on or not. If she moves on in the interview process, when should she expect to go for her in person interview?

If she doesn't get a job there for Summer, we hope to take a vacation to WDW and I was wanting to start looking at dates/flights etc... One way or another I'm hoping to get to WDW Summer 2019. ;) I'm just wondering what the timeline for the Summer program for our Canadian kids.

Can’t help — but I’m in the exact same boat! ;) Also planning a summer 2019 trip which is on hold til this process goes through. Interested in hearing any responses too!

My DD spent last three summers working for the Mouse :) and applied again this year. Only first time she had in person interview. Invitation for interview came sometime around Christmas and she was offered few dates at the end of January. Check-in dates for the program were first Monday in May until beginning of August.

My DD spent last three summers working for the Mouse :) and applied again this year. Only first time she had in person interview. Invitation for interview came sometime around Christmas and she was offered few dates at the end of January. Check-in dates for the program were first Monday in May until beginning of August.

Thank you so much for helping me out with a timeline! Now I know that I won't solidify dates until we (hopefully) hear more around Christmas/January. Also good to know to she may need to go to an interview (if she gets that far in the process) in January.

My daughter worked at Disneyworld during the summer of 2018, after completing her first year of university. According to my notes, the relevant dates were:

November 13, 2017 - my daughter applied
(late November) - in Disney forums, other applicants start mentioning they were rejected
December 14, 2017 - my daughter was contacted and asked to arrange a late Jan/early Feb interview

As I recall, she was contacted with an offer around 3 weeks after her interview, but I'm not 100% positive about that. It could have been earlier, it could have been later.

A couple of weeks ago, she applied for a summer/2019 job, but she hasn't heard anything back yet.

I'm not sure about the summer program but my sister is currently on her second CRP, year long programs. She has a great YouTube channel with lots of tips for interview etc. Search Heather Marie CRP on YouTube if she's interested.

I tracked down another relevant date. I booked my daughter's return airfare to Orlando on February 21, 2018, so she probably received her job offer 2 or 3 days before that (i.e., her job offer was approximately 3 weeks after her interview).

My son is in second year university and interested in working at Disney for a summer (May-Sept), but can anyone tell me a bit more about the program. After flights, costs for room and food, do they end up making any money? How many hours per week do they work? Are these for positions in Canadian Pavilion or anywhere on site? Does he apply for a specific role or just apply and if accepted they place them? Sorry for so many questions! Is there a more comprehensive website or blog I can go to that talks about the specifics of this J1 program? Thanks

Last edited:
During application process they can rank role that they would like (very interested, moderate interested and not interested). More choices that he picks bigger is chance that he will get in. Positions can be anywhere. My daughter was all three times in Quick-Service Food & Beverage (Polynesian Resort, MK and HS). Pay is $10.00 USD per hour, minimum of 30 hours/week. She averaged 40 hours per week. All international program participants must stay in one of Disney's housing apartments. Price is 100 - 200 USD per week depending of the size of the apartment. From big items before they leave they have to purchase medical insurance. That is requirement for J-1 Visa and cost is around 300 USD for 3 months. Overall they can save some money at the end. My daughter spent most of it enjoying her summer and only saving usually is US tax return :)

Here are some helpful links

https://jobs.disneycareers.com/cultural-exchange-program

https://marievesdisneyadventure.weebly.com/

https://collinsrace1.wordpress.com/

Apparently, the first round of NLIC ("No Longer In Consideration") notices were sent out yesterday.

Overall they can save some money at the end. My daughter spent most of it enjoying her summer and only saving usually is US tax return

My daughter made a small amount of money while she was there, but lost money after taking into account the compulsory healthcare and return airfare to Orlando.

I noticed your reference to a US tax return. Is it necessary for Canadians to file a US return? I was assuming that, with the US/Canada tax agreement, I can just fill in a 2018 Canadian tax return for my daughter and get a refund of all the US tax she paid.

I am not quite sure how US/Canada tax agreement works. She always files both.

US tax refund gets mailed home. When filling Canadian tax she reports same income but no return as she didn't pay any taxes here.

FYI. My DD got her “no email” today. :sad1: Good luck to everyone else!

DD received an offer for an interview today. She is over the moon excited, and it has kept her positive as she wrote her first University exam today. She will be doing her interview in Toronto in January.

Hi
Just reviving and old thread as my DD has applied this year. Mikeymom69, how was your DD's experience with the interview and job?

For others who have experience with this, any idea when they send out decline/ interview notifications?

Thanks

Hi
Just reviving and old thread as my DD has applied this year. Mikeymom69, how was your DD's experience with the interview and job?

For others who have experience with this, any idea when they send out decline/ interview notifications?

Thanks

Did you get any further info Kamanda? My daughter was turned down last year on Nov 29. She applied again this year & hasn’t heard anything yet. Her file says pending still. I want to be able to book vacations already! But I have to wait for her availability. Seems pretty late this year to not even have had a round of interviews.:confused3

She has not heard anything yet. No rejection or request for interview and her file is still in pending status as well. Maybe they're just late this year.

Reactions: amw

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter