Disney+ News

Status
Not open for further replies.
MGM was saved by being part of WDW with all the ancillary visitors willing to accept a half-baked park.
I think the studio's role was a bit larger in that it helped make the entire WDW complex a longer term vacation spot. Instead of just going to WDW for a few days, the studio and subsequently Animal Kingdom, have made WDW a week-long destination. There is a certain amount of strategic (ie CEO level) thinking involved in the decision to green light these parks.

I think the studio's role was a bit larger in that it helped make the entire WDW complex a longer term vacation spot. Instead of just going to WDW for a few days, the studio and subsequently Animal Kingdom, have made WDW a week-long destination.
To some degree yes. But again, that's not much different than DCA. That's the topic. People say Wells wouldn't have gone ahead with DCA, but he did with MGM. MGM in the years after opening averaged about 50% the attendance of MK. DCA, the huge failure, averaged about 45% of DL. If you controlled for the difference in audiences, annual passholder percentages versus single trip visitors., I highly doubt DCA looks like any more of a failure than MGM would in those years. So the smaller park concept, something started with MGM and continued all the way through to at least WDS and, I'd argue, AK, wasn't a post Wells issue. It's something he was on board with, just not something that he reaps the same negativity over as Eisner. Mainly a function of the timing of Wells' tragic death.

I like how they have Ralph Breaks The Internet on there, but you can't watch it until the 11th due to "existing agreements". If it's unavailable to stream, don't have it as an option.

There’s a bunch of movies like that
Beauty and the beast
Nutcracker
Wrinkle in time
National treasure
Ant man and the wasp
Poc dead men tell no tales
And so on

I think it’s great it tells you whe.n it’s available . Do I want to watch it on Netflix where it won’t be shown in 4K or wait until it’s shown on Disney plus where it will be shown in 4K.
Seen all the movies anyway but it’s nice to watch some of them again. Especially when it’s in 4K.

I like how they have Ralph Breaks The Internet on there, but you can't watch it until the 11th due to "existing agreements". If it's unavailable to stream, don't have it as an option.

Just FYI... That's December 11th, 2020, not this December.

I think the studio's role was a bit larger in that it helped make the entire WDW complex a longer term vacation spot. Instead of just going to WDW for a few days, the studio and subsequently Animal Kingdom, have made WDW a week-long destination. There is a certain amount of strategic (ie CEO level) thinking involved in the decision to green light these parks.

absolutely - and also part of the reason why we may never see (or at least not for a long time) a 5th gate as adding a 5th gate wouldn't get most guests to extend their vacations any longer as most people only take a week's vacation and with travel on either end, 4 parks is sufficient.

And of course the fact Universal was going to open a studios based theme park int he area pushed/rushed MGM a bit as well .... always many factors influence what gets done. Those sort of "corporate politics" elements definitely get a bit glossed over in the Imagineering Story - but the goal of the show is to focus on Imagineering more than the developments of the Disney corporation

Does anyone know if you can change the video quality settings on Roku so it doesn't eat up so much data? It's killing us already.

The idea was to keep people on site, so like if someone was going to Orlando and staying in an offsite hotel, and doing a couple days at WDW, then a day at a water park and a day at an animal park, WDW was like let's offer all the competing things that people do, and keep everyone on site. Thinking about a Studio tour? We have it. Thinking about mini golf? We have it. Thinking about waterslides? We have it. Now with DCA, I think they were attempting a similar thing, by featuring attractions that evoked what California is known for. It just did not work.

But that's what I'm saying. MGM at launch was none of those things. One show, Indy. 2 rides. GMR was great. Right up there with Soarin. The Backlot Tour is hard to compare to anything else. It was such a different experience, long, covering all kinds of things, but it still didn't take half a day. What else was there? Nothing. Over the first 5 years they got to 4 shows and added Star Tours. What people remember about MGM, and what it actually was at launch, are 2 different things. MGM was saved by WDW Resort attendance. It was every bit as limited a park as DCA at launch.

It was limited, but the limited offerings were significantly better in quality than what was at DCA - that's all I'm saying.

Doesn’t matter if we make the playoffs or not we can’t beat anyone. We lost to falcons, lions, dolphins all bad teams. Got killed by the cowboys.

Even with Disney plus yams no eagles you still want live tv.

Nah, I don't watch Live TV except for NFL football, Food Network, GSN, and the occasional NCIS shows - pretty much, once football is over, I can live with a Sling or Philo sub until football season...then, I'll have to decide if I want the NFL package for town homes (b/c I can do it without a subscription b/c I live in a multiple home dwelling with an HOA - my brother figured this out for me, b/c he wanted the package without the satellite dish set up:))...or CBS All Access, if I decide I can live with football without Eagles football (aka, they look like they'll suck next year:))...

absolutely - and also part of the reason why we may never see (or at least not for a long time) a 5th gate as adding a 5th gate wouldn't get most guests to extend their vacations any longer as most people only take a week's vacation and with travel on either end, 4 parks is sufficient.

And of course the fact Universal was going to open a studios based theme park int he area pushed/rushed MGM a bit as well .... always many factors influence what gets done. Those sort of "corporate politics" elements definitely get a bit glossed over in the Imagineering Story - but the goal of the show is to focus on Imagineering more than the developments of the Disney corporation
I think how soon we get a 5th gate depends on how fast they plan on adding hotel room capacity. I think a big part in opening DHS and AK was to have park capacity for all the hotels they had built and were adding.

Does anyone know if you can change the video quality settings on Roku so it doesn't eat up so much data? It's killing us already.
(from memory because I don't have the Roku in front of me) From home, it should be under Settings>Display Type. From there, you can change to lower resolutions, but I'm not positive it will have a major effect on the amount of data transferred. I will make some difference, I just don't expect it to be a major one.

Eisners World parks were both largely reactive to industry competition in the area. Increasing guest stay was surely a factor but not the only reason. Universal, SeaWorld, and Busch Gardens all played a part in Eisner’s expansion plans. All it takes is Disney leadership wanting to counter competition again. Recently all three (two really now) of those competitors are also stepping things up. And not every park will appeal to every guest so you can still expand stays.

(from memory because I don't have the Roku in front of me) From home, it should be under Settings>Display Type. From there, you can change to lower resolutions, but I'm not positive it will have a major effect on the amount of data transferred. I will make some difference, I just don't expect it to be a major one.

4K uses a lot of data. So it would be a major decline in data. Glad I live in a state that doesn’t have a data cap for Comcast. But I will go under anyway, last month was the biggest and that was 903gb way too much Disney plus lots of it in 4K. October was 543 gb.

4K uses a lot of data. So it would be a major decline in data. Glad I live in a state that doesn’t have a data cap for Comcast. But I will go under anyway, last month was the biggest and that was 903gb way too much Disney plus lots of it in 4K. October was 543 gb.

We bought the unlimited data package for our AT&T Fiber (internet) for this issue specifically! But we use our Roku for Youtube TV, Netflix, Prime and Disney +.

We bought the unlimited data package for our AT&T Fiber (internet) for this issue specifically! But we use our Roku for Youtube TV, Netflix, Prime and Disney +.

Yep. Unfortunately we live in the boonies and the only internet we have available to us is the rural internet box from AT&T and that has a 250gb data limit per month. They will keep adding data packs so we won't run out but last month our data overage was $100 and unless we make some changes it will be $200 this month.

Fiber internet is being installed in our area right now which is super exciting, and will be unlimited, but we aren't scheduled to be hooked up until next summer which is a bummer.

ETA: We kinda of got caught with our pants down. The utility company was laying infrastructure for the fibers this summer so we thought for sure it would be up and running by now so we cancelled our satellite in anticipation of Disney + and Hulu only to find out that was simply the conduit for the fibers and the actual fibers won't be laid until next summer. So, for now, cancelling the satellite is saving us about $100 a month so we are okayish with internet overages about equal to what we were spending on satellite until we get the upgrade but $200 a month extra is NOT going to work.

Last edited:
I think how soon we get a 5th gate depends on how fast they plan on adding hotel room capacity. I think a big part in opening DHS and AK was to have park capacity for all the hotels they had built and were adding.
From time to time I see comments like this that apparently equate resort room capacity to park attendance. I disagree with the premise.

There are way more people in the parks than current resort room capacity. Adding rooms doesn't increase the number of people who want to visit the parks. Adding rooms affects outside (non-Dinsey) hotels as it draws in new resort guests. People that would have stayed at an off-site resort now have more ability and options to stay on site. But they are still going to the parks.

From time to time I see comments like this that apparently equate resort room capacity to park attendance. I disagree with the premise.

There are way more people in the parks than current resort room capacity. Adding rooms doesn't increase the number of people who want to visit the parks. Adding rooms affects outside (non-Dinsey) hotels as it draws in new resort guests. People that would have stayed at an off-site resort now have more ability and options to stay on site. But they are still going to the parks.
There really isn't more people in the parks than resort capacity. When including Swan, Dolphin, campsites and DVC; Disney has 31,000 something rooms on site right now. Average combined daily Park attendance is around 121,000.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!