Disney Magic 12 nt. British Isles Cruise 2017

That food looked delicious. Can't wait for our next cruise. Animator's Palate has my favorite food (black truffle pasta purseittes).

We had main dining on our British Isles cruise. Having a 1 and 5 year old this time worked for us. Only time we needed some adjustment was Le Havre. My husband went on an all day excursion to Giverny. They did rush dinner for him and he was able to join us super late when he got back about an hour after we were seated. We had the CLA rotation.

Only request we had was to sit by ourselves which was granted. Our servers were awesome and got us in and out relatively quickly most nights. Some nights we did put the baby in the nursery to enjoy our meals.

We love FE. So much fun to come back to our cabin and see something there. People are so creative.

Can't wait to read about your day in France!!!!

That food looked delicious. Can't wait for our next cruise. Animator's Palate has my favorite food (black truffle pasta purseittes).

We had main dining on our British Isles cruise. Having a 1 and 5 year old this time worked for us. Only time we needed some adjustment was Le Havre. My husband went on an all day excursion to Giverny. They did rush dinner for him and he was able to join us super late when he got back about an hour after we were seated. We had the CLA rotation.

Only request we had was to sit by ourselves which was granted. Our servers were awesome and got us in and out relatively quickly most nights. Some nights we did put the baby in the nursery to enjoy our meals.

We love FE. So much fun to come back to our cabin and see something there. People are so creative.

Can't wait to read about your day in France!!!!

I agree. The FE is a ton of fun. I'll be showing the rest of the gifts as they arrived. So stay tuned.

We also can't wait to cruise again. Looks like we're headed to Bermuda in Oct. which will be cruise #10 for Disney. Looking forward to earning Platinum status on that one!

And early dining was a perfect choice with a young family. I'm impressed you cruised the BI with a 1 and 5yr old. Our kids are grown, but it must be a great help to have a nursery and the kids clubs on board.

Thanks for posting. France is coming right up.

Disney Magic 12nt. British Isles
Monday, July 10, 2017
Cruise Day 2 – Le Havre, France

Weather
Morning: Le Havre – (In Port) overcast wind light drizzle 63 °F / 17 °C
Afternoon: Normandy cloudy high 67 °F / 19 °C ........... Paris high 73 °F /22 °C

Note: DCL does not dock in Le Havre, France in 2018.

The Magic will only make port once - in nearby Cherbourg, France
on the 7nt Western European Cruise - Barcelona to Dover July 22, 2018

(Hopefully this will change for 2019 and beyond)

And with that …………………………..

Bienvenue en France

I could hardly believe it when we woke up.

DSC09951.JPG

That’s right.

Welcome to France

All Ashore: 7:15 am / All Aboard: 10:45 pm
Attire: Cruise Casual / Headliner: Movie – Cars 3 / Dinner Menu: World of Flavour

Drink of the Day: Ooh La La / Non-Alcoholic: Coco Bali

bi navigators0011.jpg

Or more specifically: welcome to Le Havre, France

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/ports/le-havre-france/

This busy port city on the English Channel between the North Sea and the Atlantic Ocean is the gateway to Paris!

Destination Details
Le Havre is located at the mouth of the Seine River on France’s north coast in Normandy. With a name whose translation means “The Harbor,” Le Havre is the second-largest port in France and a premier cruise destination for the European west coast.

Local Culture and Flavor
Le Havre holds a legacy as the birthplace of Impressionism. Claude Monet’s groundbreaking 1872 painting "Impression, Sunrise" was painted here—not only ushering in the first Modern Art movement, but inspiring its name as well! Today, there are 5 museums in Le Havre that are classified as Musées de France, a distinction granted only to museums of the highest status.

Le Havre's reconstructed city center is its most obvious landmark, and the best-known building there is the Hotel de Ville, a large concrete structure dominated by an 18-floor tower. Other noteworthy architecture includes the all-curved "Volcano," a theater and cultural center designed by Brazilian Oscar Niemeyer. For a taste of pre-war Le Havre, visitors can head to the old center of town—neighborhoods like Danton, Saint-Vincent and Graville—to see 19th-century brick buildings.

Past and Present
Le Havre has survived a long history of religious and secular wars, yet emerged a leader both in modern architecture—rising from the ashes of WWII—and Modern Art, which was born here. The history of the city is intimately linked to its harbor. The port city was officially founded by King François I in 1517, and it grew in size and importance with the discovery of America and then, in the 1700s, with the expansion of trade between Europe and the West Indies. In the 1880s Le Havre became an industrial center—an image that was rendered by early Impressionist painters who were inspired by the city’s unique harbor and light.

Captured by the Germans in World War II, Le Havre was completely destroyed by British and Allied air strikes during the Battle of Normandy. The city then became a major WWII Replacement Depot ("Repple Depple") for American troops entering Europe on their way to the Front. From 1945 to 1964, Le Havre was rebuilt according to the modernist plans of French architect Auguste Perret, a world leader in building with reinforced concrete. In 2005, UNESCO declared the city center of Le Havre a World Heritage Site, "an exceptional example of architecture and town planning of the post-war era", and it remains one of the few contemporary World Heritage Sites in Europe.

But don’t let that “gateway to Paris” title fool you.

The port of Le Havre will do very little to satisfy any glamorous image you’ve come to imagine the minute you set eyes on France.

(JQ takes a first look out the porthole this morning.)

DSC09924.JPG

It’s a working industrial port

DSC00022.JPG

DSC00023.JPG

And with not much happening on the ship today, Disney had a whole host of tours to choose from:

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/port-adventures/europe/list/le-havre-france/

This was ours:

D-Day Landing Beaches – Adult Only Departure (LH12)

Port of Call: Le Havre (Paris), France
Prices: $170.00 (ages 18 and up)
Activity Level & Duration: Mild10.5 to 11 Hours
Experience Type: Cultural, Sightseeing

Discover strategies behind the Allied attacks against Germany at Arromanches and Pointe du Hoc.

Innovation Filled with Strategy and Heart
Contemplate the sacrifices made at the D-Day Invasion, in a moving visit to the Normandy American Cemetery and Memorial.

On this adventure you will…
  • Begin with a 2-hour scenic motorcoach ride through the now peaceful countryside of Normandy, headed to Arromanches. View the site where Allied forces towed an artificial harbor across the English Channel to assist bringing supplies and soldiers ashore on D-Day.
  • Spend about an hour exploring the remnants of the artificial harbor, along with the D-Day Museum. Learn how the harbor was made and about many of the challenges the Allies encountered.
  • Reboard your motor coach and relax on a short drive to lunch at a local restaurant.
  • Continue with another short drive to the Normandy American Cemetery and Memorial - which is located on a bluff overlooking the English Channel - and Omaha Beach, one of the landing sites during the Normandy invasion. Spend approximately one hour exploring the memorial, one of the few places where the United States Flag flies in France.
  • Continue down the bluff to take photos at the historic Omaha Beach.
  • Continue your tour by reboarding your motor coach for the 30-minute drive to Pointe du Hoc, which was the highest point between Utah Beach and Omaha Beach during World War II. The site was fortified by German forces, but eventually captured by American troops who scaled the cliff.
  • Conclude your tour by returning to your motorcoach and enjoying the 2-hour drive back to Le Havre.

Still. Seemed everybody was headed to Paris.

DSC09961.JPG

DSC09970.JPG

DSC09969.JPG

DSC09972.JPG

In all these busses lined up just for them.

DSC09954.JPG

Perhaps we’d made a mistake choosing Normandy?

No way.

Let’s get started.

Our D-day beaches excursion was my favorite of the entire cruise. My Father served in Germany during the war and Normandy was a very sobering experience.

The French countryside was beautiful and lunch at a farm was amazing. I will hopefully get the chanceto return.

Our D-day beaches excursion was my favorite of the entire cruise. My Father served in Germany during the war and Normandy was a very sobering experience.

I did a bus tour around Europe about 10 years ago. It was mainly Canadians and Australians. One of the stops was The Somme Battle fields and many of my tourmates had family who were in the battle. Going to these places is important.

Yay! Happy to see an update today and looking forward to seeing your post about Normandy. So much history right there.

I did a bus tour around Europe about 10 years ago. It was mainly Canadians and Australians. One of the stops was The Somme Battle fields and many of my tourmates had family who were in the battle. Going to these places is important.

Great point Tink. When people see and learn this history and understand the sacrifice, they value their freedom.

So glad to see you're back, I missed your adventures! My father went on this tour a couple of weeks later-he really enjoyed it since it was a "bucket list" item for him. My mother and husband went to Paris and I spent the day with the run of the ship/pools/gym/spa. It was a perfect day for every one of us :)

Going to these places is important

When people see and learn this history and understand the sacrifice, they value their freedom.

I agree! If my father hadn't been on the tour I would've gone (we can't be together for long periods of time without bickering and this was "his" big day).
Planning on returning to France with an ABD in 2019 so I'll get to finally visit.

The French countryside was beautiful and lunch at a farm was amazing. I will hopefully get the chanceto return.
Have you considered a military history tour that focuses on D-Day? I am looking at one for June 2019 that will spend 3 days in Normandy area & includes the 75th anniversary of D-Day ceremonies. It allows so much time to explore and see more than a day trip from LeHavre or Paris. Poison Ivy’s teaser comments earlier in this thread about the LONG day at this port stop plus comments from others in the cruise meet thread about trying to find private tours from the port have got me looking elsewhere for a D-Day tour.

We really need to go back. This was an incredible day. I'm glad it was our first stop.

So true. It was an important stop on the cruise for us.

Yay! Happy to see an update today and looking forward to seeing your post about Normandy. So much history right there.
Great! Glad you're still following along. Updates are coming right up.

So glad to see you're back, I missed your adventures! My father went on this tour a couple of weeks later-he really enjoyed it since it was a "bucket list" item for him. My mother and husband went to Paris and I spent the day with the run of the ship/pools/gym/spa. It was a perfect day for every one of us :)

I agree! If my father hadn't been on the tour I would've gone (we can't be together for long periods of time without bickering and this was "his" big day).
Planning on returning to France with an ABD in 2019 so I'll get to finally visit.

I know. been working on this installment a bit longer than planned. I'm determined to post faster though. Your family going off in two directions is fascinating It's like having the best of both worlds with Paris and Normandy. Which Paris excursion did they choose? I'm sorry you didn't get to tour Normandy but having the ship to yourself must have been nice.
How was the weather?

ABD to France will be fantastic I'm sure. With all that planning taken off your plate and Disney arranging top notch accommodations, tours and meals you can't lose.
Yo. JQ. quit posting on my device!! @tink1970 in case you didn't recognize my DH - this is him talking. Too funny!!

I know. been working on this installment a bit longer than planned. I'm determined to post faster though. Your family going off in two directions is fascinating It's like having the best of both worlds with Paris and Normandy. Which Paris excursion did they choose? I'm sorry you didn't get to tour Normandy but having the ship to yourself must have been nice.
How was the weather?

Actually I didn't want to go on the long bus ride to Paris (adult only paris sightseeing excursion), Dad had taken the tour to DDay beaches and I wanted a break from everything (I don't really enjoy long excursions for some weird reason). The weather was gorgeous and I spent some of the day alone in the adult pool (and hot tub) and laying out. So much nicer than six hours on a bus :P

Yo. JQ. quit posting on my device!! @tink1970 in case you didn't recognize my DH - this is him talking. Too funny!!

Husbands....:rolleyes: I am actually excited about having ABD do the heavy lifting of planning for me since I'll have DM and DD.

It was a bucket list destination for me... it exceeded my expectations....

It looks beautiful!

Ok, I'm back in my own skin again. Sorry Poison, didn't mean to assume your identity!

QUOTE="Mathmagicland, post: 58707600, member: 524996"]Have you considered a military history tour that focuses on D-Day? I am looking at one for June 2019 that will spend 3 days in Normandy area & includes the 75th anniversary of D-Day ceremonies. It allows so much time to explore and see more than a day trip from LeHavre or Paris. Poison Ivy’s teaser comments earlier in this thread about the LONG day at this port stop plus comments from others in the cruise meet thread about trying to find private tours from the port have got me looking elsewhere for a D-Day tour.[/QUOTE]

The 75th anniversary of D-day would be an amazing event to experience. 3 days would give lots of time to explore further inland. What type of overall trip are you planning?

View attachment 296608 We went to Mount St. Michelle....

This site looks absolutely amazing! Thanks for adding another destination to my bucket...one out, two in!

Hi, just a lurker reading along and loving it so far. I went to Mont St. Michel in high school and though it was amazing. When I see pictures now, I can't believe it was real. I also went to the D day beaches and found it so sadly beautiful. Now I want to rummage out some old photo albums. Someday I want to see both again.

Excited to hear about the rest of the voyage

Have you considered a military history tour that focuses on D-Day? I am looking at one for June 2019 that will spend 3 days in Normandy area & includes the 75th anniversary of D-Day ceremonies. It allows so much time to explore and see more than a day trip from LeHavre or Paris. Poison Ivy’s teaser comments earlier in this thread about the LONG day at this port stop plus comments from others in the cruise meet thread about trying to find private tours from the port have got me looking elsewhere for a D-Day tour.

Knowing what I know now, I wish we had taken 3 days here. You are exactly right in looking into an extended private tour with planning a visit. There is so much we drove by that I kept wanting to stop and see. You'll understand what I was hinting to when you see how short the time we were given was with what we did manage to cover in that one day. I'll let JQ speak of what little he knows of his fathers WWII service, but I hope his sentiment holds true and we get to retrace our soldiers footsteps more. Not only here, but in other countries where JQ's father was sent as well. A visit in 2019 during the 75th anniversary would be perfect. What a great time of remembrance that will be.

Wow!! Fantastic picture! I'm spellbound at what I'm looking at. It's such a beautiful shot and you captured the detail so incredibly.

How did Mont Saint Michel miss my radar? It's amazing.
Do you hike up to the top?

I agree with my DH, we have to go back. That’s the problem with just 1 day in France. DCL needs to spend more time in this area.
Maybe this trip report will inspire them.

Actually I didn't want to go on the long bus ride to Paris (adult only paris sightseeing excursion), Dad had taken the tour to DDay beaches and I wanted a break from everything (I don't really enjoy long excursions for some weird reason). The weather was gorgeous and I spent some of the day alone in the adult pool (and hot tub) and laying out. So much nicer than six hours on a bus upload_2018-1-21_7-34-51.gif

Husbands....upload_2018-1-21_7-34-51.gif I am actually excited about having ABD do the heavy lifting of planning for me since I'll have DM and DD.
It looks beautiful!

That break on the ship sounds very nice. Everybody seems to get off the ship at this port so it must have been great to have the place mostly to yourself. No crowded pools…..your pick of the loungers.......no one but you to decide for. I'm picturing this and it looks perfect on a beautiful day.

How did that 6hr r/t commute to Paris work out for your family on that trip? Did they manage to get there and back in the 3hrs each way or did it take longer? @JenTen1585 had a terrible bus ride on our cruise that took hours longer than what was posted for DLP excursions. Something like 5 hrs. to get back to the ship.

and congrats on booking that ABD. The Paris nights and lights was something we really looked into but the price always chased us away. But it's still on the list. You guys have some great travel plans coming up. Very jealous.

Ok, I'm back in my own skin again. Sorry Poison, didn't mean to assume your identity!

The 75th anniversary of D-day would be an amazing event to experience. 3 days would give lots of time to explore further inland. What type of overall trip are you planning?

This site looks absolutely amazing! Thanks for adding another destination to my bucket...one out, two in!

Looks like we're Europe bound for 2019. I can’t wait.

Hi, just a lurker reading along and loving it so far. I went to Mont St. Michel in high school and though it was amazing. When I see pictures now, I can't believe it was real. I also went to the D day beaches and found it so sadly beautiful. Now I want to rummage out some old photo albums. Someday I want to see both again.

Excited to hear about the rest of the voyage

Hello and a big welcome! Thanks so much for posting and glad you’re enjoying the report. What a great high school trip. I regretted not going to Europe in HS and made sure our girls went with their school. (England/Ireland for DD1 and Italy for DD2) We used to joke that our kids were better traveled than we were. definitely pull out that album. Those pics have to be something to see now. It'll be fun to compare here. Nobody seems to do photo albums anymore – including us and that’s a big loss IMO.

DCL docking only that 1 day in France, forced us to choose between so many beautiful and historic sites we really missed out. And that’s the problem with cruising vs vacationing. We never got the chance to visit so much more. I’m glad your group did. We really want to go back.

QUOTE="Mathmagicland, post: 58707600, member: 524996"]Have you considered a military history tour that focuses on D-Day? I am looking at one for June 2019 that will spend 3 days in Normandy area & includes the 75th anniversary of D-Day ceremonies. It allows so much time to explore and see more than a day trip from LeHavre or Paris. Poison Ivy’s teaser comments earlier in this thread about the LONG day at this port stop plus comments from others in the cruise meet thread about trying to find private tours from the port have got me looking elsewhere for a D-Day tour.

[/QUOTE]

I don't want to hijack Poison Ivy's trip report :) so I'll send you some info separately.

7B4DDC59-B14D-4C1B-B876-7FF09D801195.jpeg E6ED68B6-B142-448B-B889-8D4DE1109E40.jpeg E5C4436A-EAD6-48EC-8A96-AA4182D439AD.jpeg C1AF3A94-EBE3-4245-A24B-D46EA58CF36F.jpeg
Wow!! Fantastic picture! I'm spellbound at what I'm looking at. It's such a beautiful shot and you captured the detail so incredibly.

How did Mont Saint Michel miss my radar? It's amazing.
Do you hike up to the top?

We did not go to the top of the cathedral but did manage to explore much of the area... a few more pics for inspiration.... the last pic, we found a quaint little cafe and we each had a crepe. Very delicious!

I don’t want to hijack this trip report of yours poison ivy, so, if you feel this way please lmk.... :). I could never duplicate the attention to detail that you have demonstrated in this thread.

That break on the ship sounds very nice. Everybody seems to get off the ship at this port so it must have been great to have the place mostly to yourself. No crowded pools…..your pick of the loungers.......no one but you to decide for. I'm picturing this and it looks perfect on a beautiful day.

Oh my, it was wonderful. There were a very few passengers around and it was lovely. My kind of day since I'm a sloth at heart :)

How did that 6hr r/t commute to Paris work out for your family on that trip? Did they manage to get there and back in the 3hrs each way or did it take longer? @JenTen1585 had a terrible bus ride on our cruise that took hours longer than what was posted for DLP excursions. Something like 5 hrs. to get back to the ship.

Neither DH nor DM had a problem with the bus ride, actually mom remarked that she really enjoyed watching the countryside go by as they traveled (talk about looking at a silver lining!). When I had tried to convince them to take the Eurostar from London, one of my concerns was that they would be there the day before the Tour de France was ending in Paris and I thought that might affect the traffic, but apparently other than some blockades on the side of the roads there wasn't any indication of the Tour and actually DH was super excited to take photos of some of the banners that were being put up.

and congrats on booking that ABD. The Paris nights and lights was something we really looked into but the price always chased us away. But it's still on the list. You guys have some great travel plans coming up. Very jealous.

Ugh. Funny you should mention that...I was going to book the Seine River cruise for 2019 for DD's graduation trip but this weekend she informed me she now wants to go to Barcelona so that's not happening. I should just know not to plan anything with her until the last minute. Drives me nuts.:sad2:

a few more pics for inspiration.

Beautiful photos!

Your France day looks fun so far! There is so much to do around there one day really isn't enough to get everything in. I hope Disney decides to go back to Paris for 2019.
dsc09924-jpg.296543

At first glance at this picture I thought it was the Eiffel tower lol. That would be a cool sight outside the cruise window.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter