Disney Magic 12 nt. British Isles Cruise 2017

I too had years of French in school, Used to drive my son nuts when he was taking Spanish as he would ask in Spanish, I’d start to reply in Spanish but always ended up flipping to French! I will have to start dusting it off & practicing. JQ - I think it might be something like this -

s'il vous plaît je voudrais une autre baguette

You are going to do great in France! JQ and I on the other hand ......... well that's another story. :rotfl:

We need to stick close to you in France.

totally agree but there's a slim chance of this so you better learn some French! :artist:

Aha, Tres Bien ! Now the risk you run when asking someone how much in their native language is they are likely to answer that way. The French speak so fast it is hard for me to track the numbers. While it feels the French Canadians speak quick, I don't think they can hold a candle to the French but a smile and thank you go a long way.
We're gonna be in big trouble on this next trip. Most of the itinerary is in France and as of right now neither of us speaks a word of their language. I can picture it now.... we're stumbling our way through a conversation, and a fast speaking rep just talks circles around us. :rotfl2:

When we were on the Rhine River Cruise, DD's experience was that if someone spoke to the shopkeepers in French they would switch to English. Since she wanted to practice her French, she would just smile and wait for French to be spoken...she apparently had some very nice conversations (sadly as a monoglot I have no idea what they said...maybe "my mother is the idiot who can't speak French?":rotfl:). In Montreal she would converse with locals as much as they would allow. Glad my insistence on her taking both French and Spanish is occasionally helpful :)
That's great that your daughter is practicing her French. Now that I think about it, we must have looked like the village idiots with that "how much" routine. :rotfl: Well looks like we're gonna get another chance so we'll see how we do next year.

Disney Magic 12nt. British Isles
Monday, July 10, 2017

Cruise Day 2 – Le Havre, France

weather: Normandy cloudy high 67 °F / 19 °C

DCL D-Day excursion (LH12) continued.........

When someone tells you they’ve visited Normandy, the next question should be:

Where?

dday21.1.jpg

There's far too much to see and do in one day.

We barely scratched the surface on this excursion…..….

Tour stop #1 - Arromanches-les-Bains (10:30 to 11:45am)

Part I

“discover the ruins of the Harbor built by Allied forces at Arromanches”

At the west end of the 5 mile stretch of Gold Beach, sits the quiet coastal town of Arromanches-les-Bains.

DSC00193.JPG

This is such a beautiful place.

DSC00246.JPG

DSC00247.JPG

So peaceful and inviting

IMG_0416.JPG

But like most areas in this region, it too has a story to tell.

For here - at Arromanches - action was deliberately avoided on D-Day

and the D-Day landings were strategically positioned farther down Gold Beach

”to keep it clear for the floating pre-fabricated Mulberry Harbour to be put in place after the invasion"

(stock photo 1)
arromanches3.jpg

Notably referred to as “the artificial harbor” Mulberry B Harbour was an engineering marvel in its’ day.

(stock photo 2)

dday20.1.jpg

As our guide explained so eloquently in that video I posted earlier: (here)

“but you don’t want to land on that part of the beach ‘cause you know you’re going to be putting a port there and you don’t want to crater it out and have unexploded shells and things”………….

DSC00178.JPG

Today, all that remain behind are the caissons, still visible after 73 years.

DSC00174.JPG

DSC00170.JPG

continued in part II

part II

basically this is a “tour on your own” for 1hr 15mins.

The bus drops off conveniently right in the center of the town. (It’s a temporary stop so we carried what we needed with us)

IMG_0447.JPG

First order of business for bus #31 following that 2hr scenic ride was a bathroom break. (or toilets as they are referred to throughout the BI)

WC Public is the identifier here – with one located right next to our dropoff point and at the suggestion of our guide. (very clean btw) .

IMG_0338.JPG

Looking back – you can see WC Public located by the Arromanches sign

IMG_0356.JPG

The Main attractions are:
  • See the remains of the artificial harbor
  • Explore the town of Arromanches
  • Visit the Musée du Débarquement (with optional guided tour) http://www.musee-arromanches.fr/accueil/index.php?lang=uk
  • Ride the little train (free), to the top of the cliff with spectacular views and the Arromanches 360 ° circular cinema.
IMG_0424.JPG

Pretty tall order for 75 minutes.

With just the right wind to set the Allied flags waving in unison, you couldn’t have asked for a more perfect day.

IMG_0336.JPG

Most people went straight into the Museum.

IMG_0342.JPG

Not us.

We walked the coastline

IMG_0359.JPG

and were immediately drawn to the water

IMG_0373.JPG

IMG_0388.JPG

Imagining the way it was during the war.

(stock photo 3)

arromanches4.jpg

final part III next

Last edited:

I love your detail and history notes. I feel like this is a fun and educational trip report! :)

Yes! perfect description. Thank you.

We had such a great time on this cruise. Learned a lot and loved every minute of it. I'm happy to pay it forward.

Arromanches is a great place to visit and was an excellent first stop. Definitely a must for any Normandy itinerary.
Hope you guys manage a trip in the future.

img_0388-jpg.307748

Imagining the way it was during the war.

(stock photo III)

arromanches4-jpg.307753
I love the comparison pictures this is great!

I'm hoping in November 2020 for our second anniversary we'll be able to take a trip to France since we won't be able to go during our honeymoon cruise trip. It'll definitely be on my list of places to visit.

I love the comparison pictures this is great!

I'm hoping in November 2020 for our second anniversary we'll be able to take a trip to France since we won't be able to go during our honeymoon cruise trip. It'll definitely be on my list of places to visit.

Thanks. I couldn't believe that transposed photo when I saw it. I mean the same white car being parked is uncanny.

I hope the 2020 plans work out. They sound great.

We were fortunate to visit this area in 2016. It was a bit chilling to be there, especially Omaha Beach. It felt strange with people sunbathing, kids playing in the sand and swimming on the beach where so many brave men lost their lives. Just to be clear, I do not blame anyone for doing this. Truly a memorable place to visit.

We were fortunate to visit this area in 2016. It was a bit chilling to be there, especially Omaha Beach. It felt strange with people sunbathing, kids playing in the sand and swimming on the beach where so many brave men lost their lives. Just to be clear, I do not blame anyone for doing this. Truly a memorable place to visit.
We had the same strange feeling when on the beach...the whole area really. Couldn't keep from putting myself in the moment and trying to imagine what they went through. Then seeing children playing on the sand and it hit me...thats why our soldiers died there...so children could play.

I can't wait to go back for the 75th anniversary next year.

I noticed the British & French flags on the buildings at your first stop. Is that because the British landed at Gold beach? I’m not up to the landing in my book yet; still in the prep stage.

Love all of these photos; Especially your taking the time to add photos from the landings for comparison. I would have headed to the beach first as well. Next year I’ll be there too....can’t wait to see this in person. I am getting this feeling that it is a LOT bigger area than I realized. And I’m appreciating even more what those soldiers went through in the name of freedom.

Merci

Mathemagicland, yes the flags represent the countries which landed in that area.

The area is much larger in reality. I'm sure you will be amazed, like we were, with the accomplishments of our forefathers, along with the beauty of the area.

Well said. I had a wide range of emotion at every point. Omaha Beach and the American Cemetery were the most chilling for me.
and we too felt fortunate to be able to visit.

We immediately noticed the children at Arromanches. Happily playing so innocent and carefree. It's surreal to see them among the memorials and the caissons.

DSC00182.JPG

but even more so at Omaha beach.

IMG_0641.JPG

I noticed the British & French flags on the buildings at your first stop. Is that because the British landed at Gold beach? I’m not up to the landing in my book yet; still in the prep stage.

Love all of these photos; Especially your taking the time to add photos from the landings for comparison. I would have headed to the beach first as well. Next year I’ll be there too....can’t wait to see this in person. I am getting this feeling that it is a LOT bigger area than I realized. And I’m appreciating even more what those soldiers went through in the name of freedom.

Merci

Thanks. so glad you liked the photos. It's really something to see. The coast is just so powerful you can't help but be drawn there.

And you're right.

The Normandy beaches span 54 miles - with the landings divided among the Allies: (something I didn't learn until we visited)

dday7.jpg

606x345_map-beaches.jpg

I don’t think that my wife and will do this itinerary again (we did it twice) and am greatful for the pics of this excursion. It was on our list of what to do on this day. Mount St. Michael won our choice....

Final notes on stop #1:

2x a day the tide rolls in and covers the beach - as was the case when we visited

Arromanches was not the only artificial harbor built by the Allies. Two harbors were originally constructed and were named Mulberry A and Mulberry B. The harbor at Arromanches was Mulberry B, while Mulberry A was near Omaha Beach where the American forces landed. Unfortunately, just a few days after the harbors were built, a major storm struck. The harbor at Mulberry A was completely destroyed, and Mulberry B was severely damaged. After the storm, all of the Allies had to use the harbor at Arromanches……… Affectionately nicknamed Port Winston by the troops.

I. Musee du Debarquement (at Arromanches)

Charges an entrance fee. (included in our DCL excursion price
  • Adultes 8.00 €
  • Enfants, étudiants 5.90 €
There is a fee to park in the small public lot in front of the building
(enter via the automatic gate, but I don’t know the price – sorry)

This Museum is pretty small and gets very crowded. Plus, they conduct group tours throughout the day, so you have to maneuver around them.

IMG_0425.JPG

We messed up on what to do here and somehow managed to miss both theatres and the library.
But if you follow this diagram, you’ll be much better prepared than we were.

dday3.1.jpg

JQ and IM check out the American Jeep (w/ gift shop)

DSC00240.JPG

The photographs, models and display cases are well worth a visit.

DSC00233.JPG

II. The 360° cinema

Unfortunately, We didn’t have enough time to visit the cinema. With only 75 minutes to see the area, we couldn’t manage it under those time constraints

Showtimes: At 10‘ and 40’ of each hour - The Film is 18 minutes long

The theater is in the round and holds 250 people.
Visitors stand in the center of the room surrounded by 9 circular screens.
There are benches along the wall, but these are the worst possible vantage points.

They too charge an entrance fee

Cost €6.00 (not included in our DCL excursion price)

Reduced rate €5.50:

- Teachers (private / public sector)
- Soldiers
- People accompanying disabled or handicapped persons
- Children aged 10 up to 18
- Students
- Over 60s

Free for:

- Disabled people
- Children under 10 (accompanied by an adult)
- All war veterans

And charge € 3 to park.
The car park is bit of a distance away from the cinema

dday19.2.jpg

There is a 20 min. walking path between the cinema and the Museum which involves a fairly steep incline.

In the summer the town runs a free tourist train between the two. No idea how long that ride is, and apparently the driver takes a lunch break. So plan accordingly.

IMG_0404.JPG

III. Shoppes and Eating:

This town was the only stop on the entire tour where we spent any cash.

and being short on time, we didn’t really shop except to purchase 2 books from the Museum.
Total cost: €35 (pd. cash)

DSC06346.JPG

And grab some ice cream.

DSC00250.JPG

This was their lunch special

IMG_0446.JPG

Cost for a chocolate shake and single scoop was very reasonable (less than €5)

I can't remember if this is cookies and cream or mint chip. But it was so good!

DSC00251.JPG

On to lunch - and what a feast it was!

Last edited:
I don’t think that my wife and will do this itinerary again (we did it twice) and am greatful for the pics of this excursion. It was on our list of what to do on this day. Mount St. Michael won our choice....

I can easily see that. 2 trips here would probably be enough for us too. But I wouldn't take the DCL D-day excursion again either. There are too many other places to see and do around Normandy beyond the main attractions we visited.

You definitely made the right choice with Mount St. Michael. What a place. Can't wait to go there.

Monday, July 10, 2017

weather: Normandy partly cloudy high 67 °F / 19 °C

Tour stop #2 – Lunch in the Land of the Four C’s (12:00 to 2:00 pm)

With 9 Disney cruises, this was the only DCL excursion for us that ever included a full sit down lunch.

And what a lunch it was!

Welcome to Ferme de la Rançonnière

DSC00343.JPG

A 13th century farmhouse, hotel and restaurant still owned and operated by the family that ran it as a farm.

Their official website: https://www.ranconniere.fr/restaurant-gastronomic-normandy/?lang=en

"Open all year long, we are waiting for you in a seigneury of the XIII-th and XV-th century. Our 35 rooms in the rustic decoration are furnished with care. A Charming Hotel in Normandy the “Ferme de la Rançonnière”. Completly equipped, you will find there comfort, peace and tranquility"

(stock photo)

de la ranconniere.jpg

“comfort, peace and tranquility” – a perfect description.

That's exactly how we felt the moment we arrived.

DSC00300.JPG

Here's an excellent review with detailed photos I highly recommend reading:
from travel-gourmand.com https://travel-gourmand.com/2017/04/21/ferme-de-la-ranconniere-france/

"During WWII, la Ferme de la Rançonnière was requisitioned by the German army and served as a military camp, as well as an air force base – its surrounding flat fields offered good visibility for planes to take off and land.

In the afternoon of June 6th 1944 (also known as the
D-day), the village was liberated by the British army disembarked at Gold Beach. La Ferme de la Rançonnière became a ration camp where all of the food for British and Canadian soldiers were sorted and stored. The wooden case contained a daily ration of breakfast, lunch, snack and dinner for 14 solders., labeled with letters “A” to “G” for each day of the week. Each ration also contained some bread, 7 cigarettes, chocolates, sweets, salt, matches and toilet paper."

DSC00320.JPG

This place is just beautiful.

DSC00327.JPG

DSC00330.JPG

We had 4 busses from the (adults only) DCL excursions here this afternoon.

(note: I happened to run into someone from the family D-day excursion while we had all converged at Pointe du Hoc. When I mentioned lunch, she said they went to a completely different place and the meal was not that good. (apparently the kids were served pate) Unfortunately, she didn’t remember the name of the place.)

DSC00358.JPG

As I've said, our guide was good. He knew the area well and was very familiar with this restaurant. He made a point to insure we arrived first, which afforded maximum time here while maintaining every effort to remain on schedule.

Here’s bus 31 – arriving and first to be seated.

DSC00304.JPG

surrounded by stone walls, French oak beams and an inviting fireplace. (I would imagine)

DSC00309.JPG

DSC00310.JPG

lunch in France continued in the next post.......

Last edited:

Tour stop #2 – Lunch in the Land of the Four C’s (12:00 to 2:00 pm)
continues..................................

Let's get on with the Food!!

from France at Leisure online mag

“Ferme de la Ranconniere - Normandy
Situated in a peaceful little Bessin village, this wonderful listed 13th century manor stands close to the Normandy landing beaches, in the land of William the Conqueror. Its fortified walls hide a vast terrace, where guest can enjoy an aperitif in summer, before sitting down to a typically regional meal. The restaurant evokes medieval times, with its thick stone walls and its huge fireplace. The bedrooms have the same authentic atmosphere, with oak beams, splendid Norman wardrobes, 15th century furniture, stone floors and fine rugs. The ideal base for exploring the history of Normandy.”

here, we would be served a “typically regional meal” reflecting the local cuisine of Basse Normandy.

or “the four C’s” as Rick Steves describes it:

"Normandy, the region NW of Paris is known as the land of the four C's:"

Camembert
Cider
Cream and
Calvados (apple brandy)

Something Ferme de la Rançonnière (in the Calvados region of Normandy) takes pride in, and I can’t thank Disney enough for including this experience as part of our tour.

Lunch was a 3 course meal spread among 2 dining rooms

Each table was set very simply

IMG_0488.JPG

with self serve bottles of water and wine (a chardonnay and merlot) to drink

IMG_0489.1.JPG

and an individual fresh baked French roll

DSC00313.JPG

Note: No butter or jam was on the table. (nor was any brought to the table) And not knowing what was customary, no one said anything.

but even if we wanted to, there wouldn't have been much opportunity to ask anyway. The servers only appeared when bringing out dishes, and did not engage with anyone beyond that. (I'm sure 4 busses of tourists didn't help)

We were treated to at least 3 of the 4 C’s this afternoon – cider, cream and Camembert
. But since there were no menus, I was not able to determine where or if Calvados had been incorporated among these dishes.

(The restaurant traditionally serves a homemade apple sorbet w/calvados to cleanse the palette between courses, which sadly was not part of our meal)

Starter

Norman hot cheese terrine w/caramelized onion and its Camembert ice cream

DSC00314.JPG

DSC00315.JPG

Main

Not sure - but this was either:
Chicken breast or filet of guinea fowl with potato, small vegetables, apple and Cider sauce

IMG_0492.JPG

IMG_0491.JPG

Dessert:

Caramelized Norman Apple with puff pastry and Salted Toffee Ice Cream. (& possibly Calvados somewhere? IDK)

DSC00353.JPG

DSC00352.JPG

C'est délicieux

An exceptional lunch. Everything was incredibly fresh and well prepared.
We loved this meal!

To complement dessert, they poured fresh coffee.

DSC00354.JPG

So this was curious.

As with the butter and jam, no cream or milk is brought to the table.

Yet on the saucer sits 1 block of sugar with a square of dark chocolate.

Not being from France nor knowing the habits, JQ and I aren't sure what this means or what to do here.

We start wondering and whispering:

"Do they typically drink coffee black with sugar only?"
"what's the piece of chocolate for?"
"is that supposed to be dropped in the coffee too?"

We don’t dare ask. (not that anyone was around to speak with anyway)

Instead, we drink it black with sugar and eat the chocolate to go with it.

too funny!

Well, that concludes our lunch in France. As you can see, we really enjoyed it.

up next: honor and remembrance

Last edited:
Ah Yes! That lunch was a great experience. The farm is beautiful. I strolled all around after the 1st course and really enjoyed the meal.

The ancient stone walls and beams make for a very comfortable, unique atmosphere set in the classic, French countryside.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!