Disney Magic 12 nt. British Isles Cruise 2017

Wow-that is just insane! And he had to go and get his own money to refund everyone!!!

It was a crazy situation. First time we'd ever had an experience like this. I really do believe the group that was left to wait 30 mins behind us, had a lot to do with how quickly the tour company acted to rectify the situation. And I know our guide worked hard to make this happen. He went above and beyond to front his own money in order to refund us while we were still on the excursion.

I didn't realize the automated passport control lines would work for us at Heathrow. We came in at Terminal 2 and had to line up and it took an hour (this was around 8:30 or so at night.) I thought it was just for EU members?

I am really enjoying your report and love all the detail. We are going to Alaska with Disney in 2019 and do a placeholder.....I would love to do this cruise!

I didn't realize the automated passport control lines would work for us at Heathrow. We came in at Terminal 2 and had to line up and it took an hour (this was around 8:30 or so at night.) I thought it was just for EU members?

I am really enjoying your report and love all the detail. We are going to Alaska with Disney in 2019 and do a placeholder.....I would love to do this cruise!
Hi -are you referring to being able to use your Global Entry at Heathrow?

Wow! What a story. I would have been so upset at Disney. When I book a cruise excursion I assume all transportation is included. That sounds like such a stressful situation and a real shame it cut into people's time into the excursion.

Isn't Global entry for people coming to the U.S.? I guess I was referring to the Registered Traveller program in the U.K. that one of the requirements was that you had visited four times in the year, or had a visa. I was just surprised that poison ivy went through the automated machines.

I find this stuff so confusing!

Isn't Global entry for people coming to the U.S.? I guess I was referring to the Registered Traveller program in the U.K. that one of the requirements was that you had visited four times in the year, or had a visa. I was just surprised that poison ivy went through the automated machines.

That’s my understanding but I’ve read somewhere that some foreign airlines will recognize it for security. I thought I might get lucky & also get to use it in London.

Wow. Maybe it is just me, but Heathrow airport is almost like navigating a maze. You are some brave people. lolol But what an adventure. Now, I am going to thank you. If ever I end up there I know exactly where to go to get all the information to get through the maze of Heathrow.

Thanks and so glad you're enjoying the report.

Well you two have me second guessing what we did as well. I could have sworn we used the kiosks to scan our passports at Heathrow first, before proceeding thru the "all other travelers" queue to answer questions directly with border security.

I know for a fact we did scan the passports and print receipts using automated kiosks at Gatwick for the return flights to JFK.

But after watching this horribly shot video (fast forward to about the 10:35 mark) it's jogging my memory a little differently.

you'll see them exit the shuttle and arrive at passport control.

Notice they keep filming beyond that point and enter the first line which bears left and weaves around to a row of kiosks. These are the automated booths used by EU travelers to come thru to the UK on the other side. He also pans the camera and you can see other long lines in the background. Those would have been ours.

WE did not use the automated booths. We got in the line to the right of where they initially entered the area and our line lead straight back to a group of border security entry gates where an officer physically admitted us upon presentation of our passport and flight travel card.

So now, I don't believe we ever got any passport receipts at Heathrow airport and I'll have to go back and correct that post.

Thanks for all the assistance. Hopefully this will prove helpful for anyone new to LHR.

FYI - I posted this video earlier - as our walk from the gates at Terminal 5 was identical to this couple.
They arrive at Passport control at the 8 minute mark - but turned off the cameras and didn't film. They did say they scanned their passports but I believe they are EU travelers. So they would not have been in the same lines as we were.

just a great narrative overall.

Last edited:
Whew! I'm not sure I would be able to navigate all that round about tube business in London. lol But my goodness Windsor Castle is so huge. I always knew it was large and you certainly gave me more information I had gotten elsewhere. Thank you. So glad to see you in Dover finally.

Wow! What a story. I would have been so upset at Disney. When I book a cruise excursion I assume all transportation is included. That sounds like such a stressful situation and a real shame it cut into people's time into the excursion.

Same here. We expected all transportation to be covered since it was a Disney excursion. It was pretty bad for at least half our group. Which is a shame, because overall this was such a great tour. I commend the one family for quick thinking in hailing that cab in Glastonbury. The town shuttle was a mess with the exact change/cash only policy - catching so many cruisers off guard. Hopefully DCL has already corrected this problem and we'll be the only sail affected. Live and learn though that something like this can happen with new ports of call.

Wow. Maybe it is just me, but Heathrow airport is almost like navigating a maze. You are some brave people. lolol But what an adventure. Now, I am going to thank you. If ever I end up there I know exactly where to go to get all the information to get through the maze of Heathrow.

:welcome: Yes an adventure indeed! But so worth it. I hope you do get to travel to London someday and definitely consider a British Isles cruise. Glad to have you along.

Whew! I'm not sure I would be able to navigate all that round about tube business in London. lol But my goodness Windsor Castle is so huge. I always knew it was large and you certainly gave me more information I had gotten elsewhere. Thank you. So glad to see you in Dover finally.

Thanks so much. So glad you are enjoying the report.

Yes the tube was a bit to navigate for us newcomers. But I think we'll fare better if there ever is a next time.

Windsor Castle is a must do IMO for anyone touring the London area. Since we had zero information on this and missed out on a lot of tourist sites, I wanted to provide some important details to assist anyone planning a visit. Hope it proves helpful.

It's great you're up to our Dover arrival.

And just in time too as the 2018 British Isles cruisers are onboard and getting ready to set sail as we speak. party:
I'll have to lend a few cliff notes on Dublin, Greenock and Liverpool next in case they check the DIS.

No doubt they're admiring the White Cliffs of Dover right about now full of excitement and anticipation just as we were a year ago.
They're going to have a great cruise!!!

Last edited:
Thanks again for all your info! I'm looking to convince my hubby to do the cruise someday, after he's had time to forget being sick from the flight :rotfl2:

We'll be on this cruise next September, I've learned so much from you already. And now you say you can actually see the White Cliffs of Dover as you're sailing? I don't know why, but I didn't expect to see them. Something else to look forward too!!

Thanks again for all your info! I'm looking to convince my hubby to do the cruise someday, after he's had time to forget being sick from the flight :rotfl2:

I hope you do succeed with getting your DH to go. The British Isles is a great choice for a cruise. I'll try to lend encouragement with all the great ports of call.

We'll be on this cruise next September, I've learned so much from you already. And now you say you can actually see the White Cliffs of Dover as you're sailing? I don't know why, but I didn't expect to see them. Something else to look forward too!!

Yes! The White Cliffs are right there for you to admire when you board the ship. (along with Dover Castle)

Dover is such a beautiful port.

DSC02867.JPG

you can watch them fade away as you sail out to sea.

DSC02950.JPG

Well it's Day 4 for our 2018 BI cruisers. They are arriving in Dublin as we speak.

DSC01554.JPG

So here are my cliff notes in case anyone tunes in.

If touring on your own (like we did)

1. Hop the free shuttle from the port into the city as early as possible. It's much too far a distance to walk from the ship.
2. Know the drop off/pick up point for this shuttle. For us it was Merrion Square North
(note that Merrion Square is home to the famous Oscar Wilde Memorial sculpture)

dublin map1.jpg

3 Don't rely on your cell phone to navigate. It may not link to a signal well enough to utilize data successfully. Ours didn't and it was a problem.
4 Have a walking map on hand ahead of time.
5. If visiting the Book of Kells, (same bldg that houses the must see Long Room on above map) buy your tickets online in advance if possible. They should honor them even if your arrival time falls outside the window you are assigned.
6 Trinity College has a side gate that's open off Nassau Street by the Douglas Hyde Gallery which we used.
7.They also have clean restrooms in the Arts Cafe (same Hyde Gallery bldg) and hands down the absolute best SCONES we had on this trip.

DSC01761.JPG

8. If taking Mary Gibbons tour - again Know your area. She has several pick up points. Have a map handy and Don't rely on your cell phone to navigate.

9. The Brazen Head Pub is a great place to visit and grab a Guinness or a proper Irish meal if time permits.
10. And finally, don't trust a Starbucks bathroom in Dublin! (we found out the hard way)

There's so much more I'll be getting into very soon.

Dublin was a great city to visit and we would love to go back.

Enjoy!

dsc02950-jpg.348627
These cliffs are beautiful.

Great tips for Dublin!

Today is Day 5 for the 7nt 2018 British Isles cruisers.

And they are now in Greenock, Scotland!

Many of us toured Edinburgh from here.

So these tips will be for Edinburgh, Scotland.

1. This is a major tourist hub. I emphasize MAJOR because the crowds are bad in the tourist season
2. 10x worse on a Sat (when we visited)

DSC03221.JPG

3. We took the DCL Edinburgh castle excursion w/ Holyrood Palace. Next time, I'll arrange a private transport and purchase advance tickets on my own in order to get moving the minute the ship gives the all clear.

four major problems with this excursion:

a) we left later than I would have liked (an hr. behind everyone else)
b) we started at Holyrood Palace which made Edinburgh Castle insanely crowded that afternoon when we arrived.
c) This tour included all entrance tickets to both venues - but we stood around at both places for a good 10-15 minutes at least, waiting for our guide to pick up tickets. So it wasn't a time saver to choose this excursion over touring on our own.
d) you don't walk the Royal Mile - they bus you to both locations (at opposite ends). Timing is really tight.
4. wear the headset audio guide for Holyrood Palace. It was incredible to hear the life Mary Queen of Scots had there as you walk through her chambers.
5. At Edinburgh Castle - It's a steep uphill climb - especially to get to the highest point in crown square so be prepared.

edinburgh map 1.jpg

a) My advice is to break away from the DCL guide - and head straight to Crown Square first (#21 on this map), then work your way back toward the entrance touring the rest of the castle grounds as time permits. (everyone tours in the one direction - walking upward as they climb which creates a lot of bottlenecks)

Photo taken standing next to #6 on the map - (not shown to our left) looking straight ahead at #3 and #4. (notice the incline as we continue upward)

DSC03243.JPG

b) Once inside crown square, there should be an express line to just climb the tower and tour only the Scottish Crown Jewels. (This is separate from the museum + crown jewel line everybody automatically gets in that you will pass on your way to the square - there were guides directing to both lines) The queues were crazy long on Sat afternoon.

c). If you want to experience an excellent English Tea = Edinburgh Castle has a tea room (with complete menu as well) where we sat and enjoyed an incredible afternoon tea right inside the castle walls. (knife&fork symbol within #21 on above map) Highly Recommend!! (we put our name in for a reservation for the tea room first - since it was an hr. wait to be seated that Sat - then got in line & visited the crown jewels while we waited)

20170715_144056.jpg

6. The Royal Mile is a great place to browse and shop. The Scotch Whiskey Experience gets good reviews and is located right near the entrance to Edinburgh castle. (complete with a 5min. barrel ride attraction through a makeshift distillery and a whiskey tasting room). Unfortunately, we did not have time to visit. There are other less tourist themed whiskey merchants along the Royal Mile as well.

7. There is no place to park a coach, so a lot of busses are just dropping off and picking up at random locations around the royal mile. Make sure you can recognize a few others from your group and know exactly where the meet up points are to avoid getting confused or lost. (esp. if your guide is ill prepared and all over the place like ours - more on him later)

That's enough of a full day of tips.

Hope everyone has a great time today visiting Scotland!!

Last edited:
Do you think some of these cruise excursions were a little disorganized since Disney is new to the area? I would think a cruise excursion would leave first before the rest of the ship not an hour later, seems like a pretty big disadvantage. Scotland is beautiful though. Really crowded, I would not have expected that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter