Cancelled Disney Magic 5 Night Western Europe From Dover 13 September 2020

We are on this cruise. Starting to think it won't happen now

Hi and welcome.

Right now I'm trying to stay positive and continue with cruise planning. I am keeping a close watch on DCL cancellations.

My opinion is that DCL will sail The Magic direct to Dover for the July 25 sailing and pick up the rest of the European schedule.

Also there is a dry dock in Catiz Spain scheduled for the 2 weeks after our cruise and before the October transatlantic. This is a major dry dock where a number of staterooms are being changed to Concierge.

Hi and welcome.

Right now I'm trying to stay positive and continue with cruise planning. I am keeping a close watch on DCL cancellations.

My opinion is that DCL will sail The Magic direct to Dover for the July 25 sailing and pick up the rest of the European schedule.

Also there is a dry dock in Catiz Spain scheduled for the 2 weeks after our cruise and before the October transatlantic. This is a major dry dock where a number of staterooms are being changed to Concierge.

do you really think that this sailing can take place safely

I mean thousands onboard and no vaccine. Surly the risk is Hugh if we decide to go?

do you really think that this sailing can take place safely

I mean thousands onboard and no vaccine. Surly the risk is Hugh if we decide to go?

Yes, I do, BUT it will not be cruising like it was before. I trust the Disney company to do whatever it takes to get the ships back in operation again. However doing what it takes to sail again from a business point of view may not align with guest expectations of a Disney cruise.

I am expecting huge restrictions and a lot of changes to procedures and operations. It is also possible that ports may be changed.

I am expecting that
  • character meet and greets will be no contact, that you can only take photos of the characters and that there will be a big reduction of characters.
  • all crew members will have to wear face masks
  • Cabanas will not be self serve, there will be a bit operational change here, with possibly a reduced menu
  • No self serve icecream or drinks, crew members will serve you
  • Reduced capacity in the theatres
  • Reduced entertainment
  • At character dining they wont go around the tables
  • Big operational changes in MDR,

there is so much more they could do

Yes, I do, BUT it will not be cruising like it was before. I trust the Disney company to do whatever it takes to get the ships back in operation again. However doing what it takes to sail again from a business point of view may not align with guest expectations of a Disney cruise.

I am expecting huge restrictions and a lot of changes to procedures and operations. It is also possible that ports may be changed.

I am expecting that
  • character meet and greets will be no contact, that you can only take photos of the characters and that there will be a big reduction of characters.
  • Cabanas will not be self serve, there will be a bit operational change here, with possibly a reduced menu
  • Reduced entertainment

And do u think it's still worth the price to cruise like that?

And do u think it's still worth the price to cruise like that?

to me yes, just like I plan to visit Disneyland in June if there are no travel restrictions. I am a solo traveler, Disney is my happy place. I just want to be on the ship. I want to escape reality. I would be very happy just to sit in the atrium, reading a book and drinking a pina colada. The characters are not a big thing for me. I am not expecting bibbidi bobbidi boo and the cruise experience to be as it was. This is the new normal and guest expectations are going to have to be adjusted and lowered.

I am expecting that
  • Reduced entertainment

Well thought out - I agree, and expect some of these character changes might also be seen in the parks when they finally are able to open. One rumor I’ve seen here a couple of times related to cruises in general is not to book to usual capacity, to help with social distancing in areas like MDR, theatres, etc. Less people overall on board will help with the other areas.

Disney has always been ahead of the curve with cleanliness on board, ie hand wash stations and disinfect wipes at MDR. Other cruise lines were not always doing so - I saw a passenger comment last month from another cruise line who said the line had changed MDR practice and was now providing wipes...they’d never done so before.

When Disney is ready to sail again, I too will be ready to go.

Some Updates
ok, as much as we all want our cruise to go ahead in September, the reality is we don't know. We have to prepare for the very real possibility that our cruise will be cancelled.

Disney Cruise Lines are continuing with the rolling cancellations and have cancelled sailings on The Magic through to July 2. When DCL cancels a sailing they are offering passengers a 125% Future Cruise Credit or a full refund. Many passengers are using this Future Cruise Credit to reschedule to 2021 and either upgrade their stateroom or book a more expensive cruise.

HOWEVER this Future Cruise Credit is ONLY available to passengers who have Paid In Full.

Right now I am sure many passengers are holding off Paying In Full until the latest time.

Everyone needs to decide what they want to do if DCL does cancel our cruise.

As much as I really really want to go on this cruise in September 2020, I have started thinking about an alternative cruise for 2021, if Disney cancel.

The 2021 European cruises are different routes so my alternative back up cruise is the 7 Night Norwegian Fjords in September 2021.

This cruise is more expensive than the 5 Night Western Europe but I worked it out, that with the FCC I will have 99.9% of the price.

But in order to get the FCC if Disney cancels the 5 Night Western Europe I need to be paid in full. So thats what I have done.

The way I see it, its a win win situation.

I am now Paid In Full for my September cruise and good to go for my online check in on June 30

Or

I am now eligible for FCC if Disney cancel my September cruise and I will just get my travel agent to book the 2021 Norwegian Fjords. Right now I'm not stressing about travel insurance and Covid 19 medical exclusions for 2021. That will get sorted out in 2021, my main focus is travel in 2020.

There are some important key dates for our cruise which are now very close.
Saturday 16 May
Platinum Level Cruisers can do online check in, book excursion and select a Port Arrival Time. In order to do this Platinum Level Cruisers need to be Paid In Full.
Sunday 14 June
Paid In Full date for all passengers.

By May 16 we will have a good idea about the possibility of our cruise. By May 16 Platinum Level Cruisers who have Paid In Full will be able to see if they can do online check in etc. If this is not possible for Platinum Level Cruisers then the likelihood of our cruise being cancelled is high.

Over the next 2 weeks I will also keep a check on the Zeebrugge Port Excursions page on DCL. They will have to update this page and have it ready for the Platinum Level Cruisers to book excursions on May 16.

By May 16 DCL will probably have announced the next round of cruise cancellations.

Saturday 16 May
Platinum Level Cruisers can do online check in, book excursion and select a Port Arrival Time. In order to do this Platinum Level Cruisers need to be Paid In Full.
Sunday 14 June

Hi, I'm currently booked on the sailing prior to this one and had been considering adding this 5-night as B2B. Is that PIF date correct? Mine for the 9/6 cruise is still showing as May 9; I can't find anywhere that says the september sailings got a PIF extension.

Hi, I'm currently booked on the sailing prior to this one and had been considering adding this 5-night as B2B. Is that PIF date correct? Mine for the 9/6 cruise is still showing as May 9; I can't find anywhere that says the september sailings got a PIF extension.

You are correct, the 5 Night Western Europe from Dover on 13 September has not got a PIF extension yet. The PIF date has always been 14 June. I'm booked with Dreams Unlimited and I just checked my travel documents and thats what it has been since I booked the cruise in July 2019

The way I see it, its a win win situation.

I am now Paid In Full for my September cruise and good to go for my online check in on June 30

Or

I am now eligible for FCC if Disney cancel my September cruise and I will just get my travel agent to book the 2021 Norwegian Fjords. Right now I'm not stressing about travel insurance and Covid 19 medical exclusions for 2021. That will get sorted out in 2021, my main focus is travel in 2020.
I like your thought process and approach! I hope it works out for you that you can still sail this year, but you’ve got a great backup plan for next year if needed.

Good luck everyone. If I had still been in the UK, I would have kept on.

For those of you interested in how long it takes to get $$ back, I cancelled my PIF-ed Hawaii 10 night when they cancelled that one and had the money in less than 3 weeks. It comes in multiple pieces so don't be concerned. It didn't do FCC because it would have been too much money to spend on a 7 night cruise and there was nothing else appealing. I could have had the best non-concierge at the Feb 21 date I was looking at and still had 4K room credit. I couldn't see being so lavish.

When we cancelled this cruise we were not PIF-ed and obviously not cancelled yet so it was just our deposit. It only took about a week for it to show up. PIF-ed cancellations seem to be what takes the long time. I attribute it at least partially to the fact that it comes back in numerous pieces (5 or so) so it must be tricky to coordinate.

We started this year with 4 cruises booked over 2 years and now we have zero. My fingers are crossed for a speedy and safe recovery of the cruise lines.

Good luck everyone. If I had still been in the UK, I would have kept on.

For those of you interested in how long it takes to get $$ back, I cancelled my PIF-ed Hawaii 10 night when they cancelled that one and had the money in less than 3 weeks. It comes in multiple pieces so don't be concerned. It didn't do FCC because it would have been too much money to spend on a 7 night cruise and there was nothing else appealing. I could have had the best non-concierge at the Feb 21 date I was looking at and still had 4K room credit. I couldn't see being so lavish.

When we cancelled this cruise we were not PIF-ed and obviously not cancelled yet so it was just our deposit. It only took about a week for it to show up. PIF-ed cancellations seem to be what takes the long time. I attribute it at least partially to the fact that it comes back in numerous pieces (5 or so) so it must be tricky to coordinate.

We started this year with 4 cruises booked over 2 years and now we have zero. My fingers are crossed for a speedy and safe recovery of the cruise lines.

Thanks for the update and its good to have a time scale. I think the reason the cancelled before paid in full refunds are quicker than the the paid in full is because the paid in full refunds have to go through the accounting department. Whereas the customer service agent can just cancel a before paid in full.

Also as far as I can see the refunds are paid in the amounts and the order of the installments you paid.

I'm keeping a close watch on the DCL cancellations and on the countries in Europe. I'm still hopeful that The Magic will sail direct to Dover at some stage and that our cruise in September will go ahead.

................There are some important key dates for our cruise which are now very close.
Saturday 16 May
Sunday 14 June
I am platinum, but the DCL site shows my check in/booking window opens on June 4?

I am platinum, but the DCL site shows my check in/booking window opens on June 4?

Thanks for that update. The original Platinum Check In, before Covid 19 was May 16, which is 120 days before the cruise. This must be a new change, since Covid 19 and the cancellations.

Can you keep me updated?

You are correct, the 5 Night Western Europe from Dover on 13 September has not got a PIF extension yet. The PIF date has always been 14 June. I'm booked with Dreams Unlimited and I just checked my travel documents and thats what it has been since I booked the cruise in July 2019

we are booked through Disney directly (silver) and PIF is June 15th at 11:59 PM Eastern Time (which in Europe is even June 16th.

Thanks for the update and its good to have a time scale. I think the reason the cancelled before paid in full refunds are quicker than the the paid in full is because the paid in full refunds have to go through the accounting department. Whereas the customer service agent can just cancel a before paid in full.

Also as far as I can see the refunds are paid in the amounts and the order of the installments you paid.
I didn't pay in instalments. Just the deposit and then the PIF. I've heard it's port fees, taxes, etc, etc that they are breaking up. But I didn't try to do any math to corroborate that.

I just logged on to the DCL App and there has been an update on our cruise. Frozen Deck Party is now scheduled for our Zeebrugge / Bruges day

According to the summer 2019 Personal Navigators, these were the activities and times for Frozen Day. We may not have these on our cruise, but its fun to see what we could have
1f642.png
:)
  • · Annas Chocolate Chase 9am to 11pm
  • Oakens Maypole Swirl and Twirl Lobby Atrium 5.15pm
  • · Frozen Phrases D Lounge 6.30pm
  • · Frozen Menu in MDR
  • · Freezing The Night Away 8pm Deck Party
  • · Freezing The Night Away - Funnel Vision
  • · Frozen Phrases D Lounge 8.45pm
  • · Animation Olaf D Lounge 9.45pm
  • · Frozen Phrases Fanthoms 10pm
  • · Frozen Fun Night D Lounge 10.15pm
  • · Frozen - Funnel Vision -10.30pm
  • · Club Frozen The After Party Fathoms 11pm
Frozen Deck Party Update.jpg

what u think the chances are of this cruise happening

I'm staying positive and continuing with my planning until I get the email notification that it is cancelled. There is enough doom and gloom right now, so planning the cruise helps me to get through each day.

However I'm being realistic and have a back up plan and if the cruise is cancelled I wont loose that much money as I can get refunds for flights and hotels. I'm not booking any DIY port activities just yet and I'm not booking trains in England just yet either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter