Disney Magic - September 15 2019 - WBTA - Dover to NYC

Hi all I am pretty sure I'm going on this cruise...I've been battling cancer for the last 2 years (all good now & almost finished with my reconstruction) I booked Disney Magic July 21 2019 Dover Scotland Iceland Sweden Copenhagen 11 day cruise with my 23 year old daughter. It will be my 10 cruise which means this will be my 11th "YEAH" In July we're staying in Victoria section of London (recommended by a someone who lives in London in our group) someone else in our group found a bus to pick us up at our hotel and either stay on the bus for a tour of the castle in Dover or for less $ just drop us off at the port. My daughter & I are going to Scotland for 2 days before our cruise. I have all the airfare & hotels booked.

I live in NJ there is a hotel in Teaneck that might let you park your car there I think it's a Marriott it's the last stop before going into NYC. By uber it's only about 40.00 to Newark airport. There is alot of hotels in the surrounding area of Newark airport that charges about 6.00 a day to park your car. My SIL works at the airport so I get many tips from her. I am just over the GW bridge so if I can be a help ask away.

I will know for sure by next week for sure if I will be on this cruise. My fingers are crossed

Patricia

Hi all I am pretty sure I'm going on this cruise...I've been battling cancer for the last 2 years (all good now & almost finished with my reconstruction) I booked Disney Magic July 21 2019 Dover Scotland Iceland Sweden Copenhagen 11 day cruise with my 23 year old daughter. It will be my 10 cruise which means this will be my 11th "YEAH" In July we're staying in Victoria section of London (recommended by a someone who lives in London in our group) someone else in our group found a bus to pick us up at our hotel and either stay on the bus for a tour of the castle in Dover or for less $ just drop us off at the port. My daughter & I are going to Scotland for 2 days before our cruise. I have all the airfare & hotels booked.

I live in NJ there is a hotel in Teaneck that might let you park your car there I think it's a Marriott it's the last stop before going into NYC. By uber it's only about 40.00 to Newark airport. There is alot of hotels in the surrounding area of Newark airport that charges about 6.00 a day to park your car. My SIL works at the airport so I get many tips from her. I am just over the GW bridge so if I can be a help ask away.

I will know for sure by next week for sure if I will be on this cruise. My fingers are crossed

Patricia
I hope you join us!
Thank you for the information you are providing!

Here's the Fish Extender list as of now. Still waiting on room numbers and other information.

Anyone interested in joining, please post her or feel free to email me, lbolt123@gmail.com.

Attachments

• Disney Magic - September 15 2019 - WBTA - Dover to NYC.pdf
    72.8 KB · Views: 16

762883C7-D539-4C7A-98C4-D1F25D9F06BD.jpeg
I agree about having a lot to do on board. I usually have some books, Just in case, but I never finish all of them. I do like to read on my balcony. There is lots to do. I remember some sort of classic movie list, and I enjoyed some of those selections.

Saw Casablanca on the WBTA 2016, on the big screen! Loved It.

Finally have this cruise booked. Woohoo! We booked onboard the Wonder last weekend and here are our plans, so far. If anyone has suggestions, etc., please feel free to comment. This is my first time abroad so we are winging it.

1. It will be myself, DD who will be 18 and her boyfriend who will be 19. Booked OV GTY 09D.
2. We live in central Florida so we will either be driving to Orlando or taking DOTS from daytona.
3. Flying Norwegian 9/10 from Orlando to Gatwick - $914 one way for 3 of us. Booked the cheaper fare that includes meals, a checked bag and seat
assignment.
4. Train from Gatwick to St. Pancras - $16+
5. Staying at Alhambra near St Pancras station - $726 for 3 nts. I had an extremely hard time finding affordable (cheap) hotels that would allow me to book 3 adults. Room includes breakfast.
6. We are going to use the tube and will purchase an Oyster card but not sure yet if before we leave or when we get to London.
7. Planning on booking an Ice Bar package including dinner - $65 pp. This pkg was picked by DD's boyfriend.
8. Planning on booking Dr Who walking tour - $15 pp. This activity was picked by DD.
9. No other tours to be booked. We are planning on taking the tube to other sites. Not big museum people so just want to experience London without
scheduling ourselves to death. Our hotel IS near the British Museum so we will probably check that out. We will walk along the south bank and may check out one of the markets and some parks. I may book Sky Garden.
10. Eurostar to Paris on 9/13 for a day trip - $108 pp R/T will use RER to get around; also considering hop on/hop off bus. Will pre purchase tickets to the
Eiffel Tower(would appreciate any advice this). We are still working on a sightseeing strategy for Paris.
11. Train from St Pancras to Dover Priory 9/14 - $17+
12. Travelodge in Dover - $123 for 1 nt includes breakfast and wi-fi.
13. We hope to see Dover Castle. I believe Travelodge will store our bags until we check in.
14. Taxi to ship on 9/15.
15. We have no plans to do any excursions during the cruise. We will probably just check out the areas near the ports. Any suggestions?
16. Once we arrive in NYC we have not decided whether to fly home on 9/25 or to stay overnight. Does anyone have suggestions on affordable hotels and the
best way to see a little of NYC if we decide to stay overnight? The kids want to see a Broadway show but I do not remember which one (non Disney).
17. Whether to fly back to Orlando or Daytona is still up in the air (no pun intended).
18. Purchased trip insurance from Insure My Trip - $230 for all of us.

Does this sound like a good plan? The only non-refundable monies, so far, is airfare and the hotel in Dover.

Amazing price. This will be my wife’s and I 22nd Disney cruise. Haven’t been on a transatlantic since 07. Did have book the last Alaska cruise and was going to book the repo cruise after that. It’s going to be a dry dock after the last Alaska cruise of 2019 so changed my mind and looked at this cruise. Thought the air prices will be outrageous but prices looked great for round trip just won’t use the one coming back. Won’t need a plane once we get to NYC I live in south jersey.

I've been thinking the same. What happens if one books roundtrip but doesn't show for the flight back? One way is outrageous...plus we will fly into Rome first and do some touring then fly British airways most likely to Heathrow for the cruise to NYC. Wanted to PM you but don't know how.

Finally have this cruise booked. Woohoo! We booked onboard the Wonder last weekend and here are our plans, so far. If anyone has suggestions, etc., please feel free to comment. This is my first time abroad so we are winging it.

1. It will be myself, DD who will be 18 and her boyfriend who will be 19. Booked OV GTY 09D.
2. We live in central Florida so we will either be driving to Orlando or taking DOTS from daytona.
3. Flying Norwegian 9/10 from Orlando to Gatwick - $914 one way for 3 of us. Booked the cheaper fare that includes meals, a checked bag and seat
assignment.
4. Train from Gatwick to St. Pancras - $16+
5. Staying at Alhambra near St Pancras station - $726 for 3 nts. I had an extremely hard time finding affordable (cheap) hotels that would allow me to book 3 adults. Room includes breakfast.
6. We are going to use the tube and will purchase an Oyster card but not sure yet if before we leave or when we get to London.
7. Planning on booking an Ice Bar package including dinner - $65 pp. This pkg was picked by DD's boyfriend.
8. Planning on booking Dr Who walking tour - $15 pp. This activity was picked by DD.
9. No other tours to be booked. We are planning on taking the tube to other sites. Not big museum people so just want to experience London without
scheduling ourselves to death. Our hotel IS near the British Museum so we will probably check that out. We will walk along the south bank and may check out one of the markets and some parks. I may book Sky Garden.
10. Eurostar to Paris on 9/13 for a day trip - $108 pp R/T will use RER to get around; also considering hop on/hop off bus. Will pre purchase tickets to the
Eiffel Tower(would appreciate any advice this). We are still working on a sightseeing strategy for Paris.
11. Train from St Pancras to Dover Priory 9/14 - $17+
12. Travelodge in Dover - $123 for 1 nt includes breakfast and wi-fi.
13. We hope to see Dover Castle. I believe Travelodge will store our bags until we check in.
14. Taxi to ship on 9/15.
15. We have no plans to do any excursions during the cruise. We will probably just check out the areas near the ports. Any suggestions?
16. Once we arrive in NYC we have not decided whether to fly home on 9/25 or to stay overnight. Does anyone have suggestions on affordable hotels and the
best way to see a little of NYC if we decide to stay overnight? The kids want to see a Broadway show but I do not remember which one (non Disney).
17. Whether to fly back to Orlando or Daytona is still up in the air (no pun intended).
18. Purchased trip insurance from Insure My Trip - $230 for all of us.

Does this sound like a good plan? The only non-refundable monies, so far, is airfare and the hotel in Dover.

I'm still in the planning stages....but we will be touring Italy a bit before flying to Heathrow...no plans for London as yet.
Regarding Broadway shows in NYC....a must see is "Beautiful". I haven't seen it yet, but many friends have and it is supposed to be awesome. I can sing every Carol King song by heart. But I'm told you are not allowed to sing along until the last song.

I've been thinking the same. What happens if one books roundtrip but doesn't show for the flight back? One way is outrageous...plus we will fly into Rome first and do some touring then fly British airways most likely to Heathrow for the cruise to NYC. Wanted to PM you but don't know how.

I just read a few days ago that airlines are cracking down on this. Look at iceland air and Norwegian air they have good one way flights.

Last edited:
This is the first transatlantic cruise for my wife and I. We are in 6147(same stateroom as our last cruise-Christmas cruise to Cozumel with our daughter’s wedding on board and another daughter celebrating her college graduation). We would love to join a FE group. We are very excited for this cruise.

Hello all! This is our third DCL trip but first transatlantic and first time traveling abroad. I'm mildly stressing over what I need to prepare for international travel. Being a cruise, most of our time and money will be taken care of but what about our 1 night stay in London before embarkation and our excursions? Do we need to exchange currencies? Are there any other tips the veterans can provide?

This is the first transatlantic cruise for my wife and I. We are in 6147(same stateroom as our last cruise-Christmas cruise to Cozumel with our daughter’s wedding on board and another daughter celebrating her college graduation). We would love to join a FE group. We are very excited for this cruise.
Hi Tom,
So glad you'll be joining us. Here's the list as we have it. I've added your stateroom number. Please provide as much of the other information (names, favorite character, special event) as you want. Look forward to hearing from you.

Attachments

• Disney Magic - September 15 2019 - WBTA - Dover to NYC.pdf
    189 KB · Views: 5
Hi Larry,
I was wondering if you were thinking of having a meeting of our TA FE group prior to sail away. We were at one, on a prior cruise, that met in the promenade lounge about 3:00. It was just a quick 10-15 minutes time where we introduced ourselves and talked to each other for a few minutes. It was fun to see familiar faces around the ship, during our voyage. Children have a chance of meeting other children that might see in the kids club.

Hi Larry,
I was wondering if you were thinking of having a meeting of our TA FE group prior to sail away. We were at one, on a prior cruise, that met in the promenade lounge about 3:00. It was just a quick 10-15 minutes time where we introduced ourselves and talked to each other for a few minutes. It was fun to see familiar faces around the ship, during our voyage. Children have a chance of meeting other children that might see in the kids club.
Hi Lynn,
Yes, I try to do this on each cruise. I usually suggest deck 4, port side, aft at 4 pm. It's right after the required safety meeting and before the sail away party. It's a quiet spot away from the crowds. I'll post this later, as we get closer to 9/15. Thank you for reaching out.

Bought our plane tickets to London so feels official. We unfortunately cant stay in NYC so are leaving same day. Would a 2:30 pm flight home be safe you think?

Bought our plane tickets to London so feels official. We unfortunately cant stay in NYC so are leaving same day. Would a 2:30 pm flight home be safe you think?
I would rely on DCLs recommendations. What do they say? I suppose it depends on how smooth customs goes.

I would rely on DCLs recommendations. What do they say? I suppose it depends on how smooth customs goes.

They say earliest is 12 but do not want to feel too rushed. Was hoping someone might have some first hand experience.

My only experience with disembarking in NYE was being picked up by car. We were away from the port quite early. It was a very similar experience to Port Canaveral. I was very surprised. It was a Saturday. We get off on a Wednesday, so it will be different. Where will you fly out of?

My only experience with disembarking in NYE was being picked up by car. We were away from the port quite early. It was a very similar experience to Port Canaveral. I was very surprised. It was a Saturday. We get off on a Wednesday, so it will be different. Where will you fly out of?

Not quite sure yet but right now looking at at a 2:55 out of JFK or 4:25 out of LGA. Any advice on airports? Both are the same price. Would ratger get home a bit earlier so 2:55 is pretty appealing.

I would pick the airport that DCL has the shuttle to. I think it’s LGA.

However, 2:55 is well after DCL’s given time, so I do think you will be OK either way because it is not rush hour.

Just for reference, LYFT would charge $70 to LGA, and $110 to JFK.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter