Disney mistakes

old lady

DIS Veteran
What do you consider to be some of the company’s mistakes? I believe not making those Lord of the rings films and not building Harry Potter at Disney World. Is any more?

Pirates of the Caribbean 3rd, 4th and 5th movies, lone Ranger script and John Carpenter casting (other than James Purefoy and Ciaran Hinds) - Also making Toy Story land pathways way too narrow and with a single entrance/exit point.

Tom and Huck, the movie. They took a couple of great literary characters, miscast them and made a terrible movie. Also producing unnecessary sequels instead of delving into other new literary characters who have had minimal or no film presence. Also remaking movies that needed no remaking, The Lion King comes to mind (watched part of it but had to give up, eyes rolling, after about 15 minutes).

What do you consider to be some of the company’s mistakes? I believe not making those Lord of the rings films and not building Harry Potter at Disney World. Is any more?
Did they even consider Lord of the Rings? And didn't J.K. Rowling turn Disney down? If so they can't be considered Disney's mistakes.

Did they even consider Lord of the Rings?
I think that Miramax and maybe even Weinstein was involved in the early days of LOTR. But I don't think if anybody else made LOTR at the time, they could have done it right. Disney had never done anything so epic, and Peter Jackson was definitely the perfect director for the 1st trilogy.

Produced by Walt Disney Pictures in collaboration with Robert Zemeckis' ImageMovers — they had a joint company at the time called ImageMovers Digital. Distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures. ImageMovers Digital, which also produced Jim Carrey's A Christmas Carol, was closed after the box office failure of Mars Needs Moms. It's a shame, because the partnership was supposed to yield a sequel to Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
I figured as much. Never much felt like a true Disney film. I'm not sure Disney has fully acknowledged it. Hey, at least they've added it to Disney+.

I still have the cassette tape of the original Aladdin soundtrack, complete with offending lyric. Bet I could get all of maybe $5 for it on eBay...

As far as Disney mistakes, hm...

not putting "A Guy Like You" much earlier in 'Hunchback of Notre Dame' (it's light and humorous, belonging in the first act when everything is being set up, not late in the third act when the climax of the story is going on and Paris is literally burning)

Making a live action version of "Beauty and the Beast" (Dan Stevens was great, and Josh Gad was pretty good, but Emma Watson was miscast as Belle and most of the other casting/script choices fell flat (Gaston more misunderstood than evil, an unneeded backstory involving the Beast's cold, possibly abusive father that goes nowhere, the transformation scene changed from Dan Stevens emerging from a pile of rose petals which would have been AWESOME.)

In fact, just about all of the remakes have been bad. Come on, Disney, there are lots of great fairy tales/original stories that haven't been done yet. Take a chance on those! I'll even give you one. My favorite childhood book, "The King With Six Friends."

http://www.kathleendeady.com/TheKingWithSixFriendsPage.htm
It's got just about everything. A young, handsome protagonist. Great supporting characters WHO SHAPE SHIFT! An interesting, offbeat story. True, the lone female character is weak, but that can be remedied. I think it would be a GREAT Disney movie!!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!