Disney Movie Club. Is it legit?

disneylover2005

Mouseketeer
I have been reading some terrible things about the Disney Movie Club. There is even a website on how it's a scam. People are not getting there movies at all or they are being charged multiple times for not buying anything.

I originally thought it was a ok deal. The prices for Disney movies out here are expensive (as probably every where else).

Has anyone joined before? If so, do you have a good experience with them? Has joining saved you money instead of buying let's say at wal-mart or k-mart? Thanks

Some folks swear by it, others not so much. Personally I buy my Disney movies from Amazon or Walmart as they tend to be a bit cheaper.

they used to be a lot more on the up and up IMO. But regardless you won't save any money at all. Their DVDs are way more expensive than other places and you can't use a coupon on them and you have to pay shipping.

Yeah we are in the swear by it category. We did it once and just got the opportunity to renew again and get the $1 movies again. For us it works out to be a great deal. Yes, you have to buy the 4 movies over 2 years at retail, but they have great deals at times on others and you can combine so it works out. Just ordered this months deal and got Prep and Landing ($13.99 on Amazon), Belle and the Beast Enchanted Christmas Edition, ($17.99 on Amazon), and a free CD (Ariel Book on Cd), for $25 and change total shipped from the Movie Club. So it can work out if you look for the good ones :-)

been a member for 6+ years and never a problem.

I just joined recently & so far am really pleased.

I got 5 blu rays for $1 and added a 6th for $11.95. I only have to buy 2 more at regular price (I think it's $29.99 for blu rays) in the next 2 years. It works out to be cheaper than I could get them with coupons at Walmart or Target or online at Amazon.

I've also been a member for years, and any problems have been MY fault.

Of course you save! You just have to look at the TOTAL. It's why I recommend buying your obligation movies as fast as possible, so that the math still works without your mind whining that you could buy xyz for cheaper elsewhere.

You are getting your first four, even five, movies for pennies! Average it all out with the obligation movies and you have a deal.

After you finish the obligation, you are a VIP, which means free pins and better deals offered to you,

The KEY is to NEVER buy any of the obligation movies at a discount, because then they don't count. Only after you are VIP should you start buying with the deals.

I was a member for 2 years. The first year was great, we easily bought our required DVD's and normally declined the monthly movie and had no issues. Then at the start of the 2nd year (this was about 2 years ago) I would decline the monthly movie online and they would charge and send me a different movie for the month. After several phone calls a few charges were reversed when we returned the unwanted movies, but it was still an ongoing pain. I didn't want to roll the dice every other month, and it seemed sometimes they would send one mid month and say it was that month's movie. :confused3 At first I thought it was me and I was just missing a mailing or email. Then I started to keep track and we were being charged for and getting movies that we not part of the monthly one. Finally because it just became too much work and a problem we cancelled. I have friends that are members and they don't have any issues and love the program. I know we weren't alone with our issues, but maybe they have been resolved now?

OP, did you read the replies on that "peeved" consumer site? People telling the ones with the complaints how better to use the site, and there's even a DMC employee on there trying to help people.

PP, it's not a *monthly* thing. It's approx every three ish weeks. And they do seem to count those weeks from when you respond, so yes you can easily get more than one per month!

Gotta keep track of the emails and mailings. But I've found that it takes a few days to process an order, and if you realize you didn't respond soon enough and you miss it, there seems to be few day period to call and ask them to cancel it.

I am glad I stopped in here because I was considering getting movies from that site. I guess I have to do more research and comparing prices first. :)

Well..I had issues with them because the sale stuff in the brochure wasn't ringing up right on the site so got peeved and quit..and THAT was a hassle..finding out how to quit and then having whoever I called to quit argue with me. But I decided to rejoin with a deal they sent me 5 for a dollar no SH then buy first to satisfy my buy 4 at 11.95, again no SH and then I had the trouble of the site not LETTING me join for 2 days but it finally went through......They are offering Prep and Landing??!! I didn't see that..D A R N

I have belongede to the DMC for a few years now with no problems ever other than..............I have forgotten to repsond to the featured title twice but that is my fault not theirs, now I just respond as soon as I get the email instead of waiting cause I think I may want that months title. I find it a good value since they do have promos and once you fill your requirement commitment the VIP deals are good.

I think if you plan on buying a LOT of movies its a great deal because they often offer buy one at full price and get the rest half off. Most the movies cost $20 and that's what they cost most everywhere else unless they are on sale.

I've been a member for about 7 years and have had no problems at all. You do have to stay on top of the emails so you can decline the featured offer if you don't want it. If you don't decline, they automatically send it to you and charge your CC. I've been a VIP for about 5 years and I get free shipping on every purchase I make. VIPs also get a free pin with each order and get discounts like 50-60% off.

After doing the math, I do believe we've saved money in the long run on movies because we buy for our kids, nieces and nephews and even for my dad. DMC has a number of Wonderful World of Disney movies that are not found in stores and that's what my dad likes. Between the discounts and the exclusive movies, I think we made a wise decision to join.

We are past members who recently quit for the second time in July. Everything worked fine for about a year and then we started getting mailings, emails, and postcards. We would decline online and that was fine for about 9 months. Then the website didn't recognize our login, no matter who we spoke to or what was tried, our login became useless. We then started using the phone system to decline, how many items can you really try and sell in one phone call! We declined 6 offers in a row via phone and in July received the May offering taht had been declined. Called and spoke to customer service, they could see we had declined and didn't know why the movies were sent. To add further insult, the rep told me that the June offer was in process and even though we declined, the system had sent it. I was not too excited that the system they have in place failed even though I had followed the steps and declined the offers. After debate about returning the movies and needing a box - there is no way of knowing what was sent without opening the box - it was decided that the movies received were a gift from the movie club. From my personal experience, I would not join.

We are past members who recently quit for the second time in July. Everything worked fine for about a year and then we started getting mailings, emails, and postcards. We would decline online and that was fine for about 9 months. Then the website didn't recognize our login, no matter who we spoke to or what was tried, our login became useless. We then started using the phone system to decline, how many items can you really try and sell in one phone call! We declined 6 offers in a row via phone and in July received the May offering taht had been declined. Called and spoke to customer service, they could see we had declined and didn't know why the movies were sent. To add further insult, the rep told me that the June offer was in process and even though we declined, the system had sent it. I was not too excited that the system they have in place failed even though I had followed the steps and declined the offers. After debate about returning the movies and needing a box - there is no way of knowing what was sent without opening the box - it was decided that the movies received were a gift from the movie club. From my personal experience, I would not join.

I just joined for the second time. We quit before because it beame a hassle to remember to cancel the monthly feature if we didn't want it. We have a child now and wanted to start her collection. I think DMC will save us money in the end. You know we are having an issue with the website too. Everytime I try to logon it indicates the website is down, which is starting to get annoying. I would really prefer to use thier website v. mailing the card back. Plus I would like to go ahead and order the other titles we are obligated to buy and would like to view the selctions on the website. I haven't called yet though.

I was a member for 2 years. The first year was great, we easily bought our required DVD's and normally declined the monthly movie and had no issues. Then at the start of the 2nd year (this was about 2 years ago) I would decline the monthly movie online and they would charge and send me a different movie for the month. After several phone calls a few charges were reversed when we returned the unwanted movies, but it was still an ongoing pain. I didn't want to roll the dice every other month, and it seemed sometimes they would send one mid month and say it was that month's movie. :confused3 At first I thought it was me and I was just missing a mailing or email. Then I started to keep track and we were being charged for and getting movies that we not part of the monthly one. Finally because it just became too much work and a problem we cancelled. I have friends that are members and they don't have any issues and love the program. I know we weren't alone with our issues, but maybe they have been resolved now?

I know this is an old thread -- but this exact situation has been happening to me the least few months. I declined the featured titles, and then out of nowhere, they charge my credit card and then a movie shows up. Not sure why it's happening, and trying to talk to someone on their customer service is next to impossible. The phone line is completely automated. I just sent a message to them via their online portal, so we'll see if it works.

I know this is an old thread -- but this exact situation has been happening to me the least few months. I declined the featured titles, and then out of nowhere, they charge my credit card and then a movie shows up. Not sure why it's happening, and trying to talk to someone on their customer service is next to impossible. The phone line is completely automated. I just sent a message to them via their online portal, so we'll see if it works.
Strange. I've been a member (joining and re-joining) for 2+ years and have never had the FT sent to me when I declined.

How are you declining? Via mail? Email? Website? I typically decline via the DMC website and always receive an email confirming I declined.

Growing up I remember getting those cassette club things and my mom always telling me they were a scam. But I finally joined the Disney movie club when they had the special deal of something like 5 movies plus 2 or something like that. Then we had to buy two more - I always declined the other options and paid for the two I wanted. I thought for as many movies as we got, paying full price for two of them over the course of the membership was a decent deal. I cancelled once the membership obligation was over, and then renewed for a second time for another set of movies. When I have some spare change, I'll do it again now that there are enough new movies for me to warrant getting another membership. I never had a problem - I think people who let the monthly recommended movie notification slip their minds probably find the whole DMC process to be too tedious, but it's part of the game, IMHO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!