Disney Movie Marathon Challenge

Oh my god Home on the Range....God this movie sucks. Why did I watch this one in the cinema when I was a little boy? To quote Roger Ebert: I hated this movie, hated, hated, hated, hated this movie. Hated it, hated every stupid simpering moment of it. It's insipid, it feels like if Barney the Dinosaur were to smoke crack and then give us this abomination.

Why does Alameda Slim yodel? Why is it a power that he possesses? Why is Dame Judy Dench in this? And what was the point of that not Pink Elephants sequence?! So many questions and yet none of them will be answered. Never again just never again.

I entirely agree!!! Never Again! I cannot even say I am happy I watched it for Disney education purposes. Why is Dame Judy in this!?

Welcome back!

Finding Nemo
- I only saw this for the first time recently. I had seen the stage show at Animal Kingdom, but never the actual movie. Something about it never really spoke to me. It's okay, but not a favorite. I think the performances are strong though, especially Albert Brooks. The movie is beautiful. I don't have much else to say about it. I have not seen Finding Dory either and it stands as one of two Pixar movies I have not watched.

Brother Bear - I've seen this once. I generally agree with your assessment. The movie is not great, but it does have some pretty animation and the music is really good. The opening song by Tina Turner - magnificent! I understand the point about the main character messing up early on, but the point of the movie is that he is not irredeemable. your mileage may vary on that of course.

Home on the Range - This is also one of the few WDAS movies that I have never seen. It sounds like I shouldn't be in a hurry. One day I'll watch it out of sheer curiosity.

Don't hurry!

Whats the other Pixar you haven't seen? The only one I haven't seen I think is Wallee? Not sure how its spelt.

Don't hurry!

Whats the other Pixar you haven't seen? The only one I haven't seen I think is Wallee? Not sure how its spelt.

Finding Dory and Wall-E are the only two I haven't watched as of now. I do have them on my DVR to watch at my discretion.

The Incredibles (2004)

This is my sisters fav Pixar because of the sheer, unadulterated delight! Although its not my fav I love it too! Everything about it from the artistic design, to the bombastic score, to the twists and turns of the plot, to, perhaps most of all, the fantastic characters, is a complete joy to experience.

So how to go about reviewing a movie that is so close to perfect? Well, since we’re still a movie behind in reviewing right now (and I want to watch the next Disney this evening without feeling guilty), I’m not going to go on and on. I totally could, but for now I will just focus on one aspect of the film that, to me, makes it so special, and you can just assume that whatever else you love about this movie, I probably love too and could write a sonnet about, but won’t just now. The thing I will focus on, however, is how The Incredibles manages to seem both new and old at the same time.

Exciting, but comfortable; futuristic, but nostalgic; familiar, but totally original - these are all adjectives you could apply to The Incredibles. This was an action adventure superhero movie before that genre (or the most recent iteration) really took off - Iron Man didn’t kick off the obsession with superheroes until four years after The Incredibles was released - and yet there’s already a hilarious amount of self-awareness in the film, of which the ‘No Capes’ rant and Syndrome chastising himself for ‘monologuing’ are probably the best examples.

And Pixar achieves this feat of making you comfortable in a world you didn’t even realise you needed until now, in every aspect of the film. The art design is ‘The-Future-but-how-we-wished-it-could-be-in-the-60s’ - so, better in every way than the real future. The music is brilliantly over-the-top, sounding in some ways like a Bond movie and in others like the theme tune to an old TV thriller, but with a sense of humour about itself.

The characters also continue this theme - they’re ‘supers’, yes, but washed up supers. There is something about having the characters already past their glory days that anchors you in the world so much more effectively than the endless ‘origin stories’ that Marvel and DC churn out. And there’s a sprinkle of Pixar-dust in there too. Even though Mr Incredible and Elastigirl are superheroes, they’re battling everyday mum and dad issues, just like you! I mean, she’s a mum whose superpower is flexibility! How beautiful is that?! This is what I mean when I say the movie fits in beautifully to the Pixar way of doing things, and the Disney way too. Because although the film is quite plot-heavy and endlessly exciting, it’s still grounded in the Parr family and in the recognisable themes of getting older, balancing family and work, and living up to your potential.

So yeah, I love The Incredibles. The self-aware tone, stunning visuals, exciting plot and heartwarming themes come together perfectly in this movie. It’s got all the elements you need for a great Disney movie (lovable characters, fabulous music, stylish animation, outrageous, likeable villain) and something more that’s a little bit special: the power to make you nostalgic for something you never even knew about (Walt would love this!).

P.S. It also has Edna - nuff said.

Don't hurry!
y
You've NEVER seen WALL-E?! (Jaw drops in a cartoon fashion) What's the matter with you? :earseek:

Anyways, Finding Nemo is an awesome movie, Brother Bear I vaguely recall watching that one a lot when I was a kid...for some reason otherwise I can't remember what happens in it. Well I do kinda remember the music from Phil Collins, and that one musical piece with that Bulgarian Choir basically the Transformation theme other than that nothing's coming to mind.

Also besides the Toy Story films, The Incredibles is one of my favourites from Pixar, used to have a lot of the merch when I was a kid, rewatched the DVD endlessly and it definitely deserved a sequel.

You've NEVER seen WALL-E?! (Jaw drops in a cartoon fashion) What's the matter with you? :earseek:

Anyways, Finding Nemo is an awesome movie, Brother Bear I vaguely recall watching that one a lot when I was a kid...for some reason otherwise I can't remember what happens in it. Well I do kinda remember the music from Phil Collins, and that one musical piece with that Bulgarian Choir basically the Transformation theme other than that nothing's coming to mind.

Before this there were quite a few Disney's (not the famous ones!) I had not watched! I am becoming a more rounded person day by day :) (although perhaps watching Victory Through Air Power back in the 40s was overkill).

Looking forward to WALL-E!

Hmm that Bulgarian choir is interesting. I watched a youtuber talk about it.

Though to be fair, I haven't seen all of the package films. Saludos Amigos is one of them, but otherwise I've seen the majority of the Animated Canon.

The Incredibles (2004)

This is my sisters fav Pixar because of the sheer, unadulterated delight! Although its not my fav I love it too! Everything about it from the artistic design, to the bombastic score, to the twists and turns of the plot, to, perhaps most of all, the fantastic characters, is a complete joy to experience.

So how to go about reviewing a movie that is so close to perfect? Well, since we’re still a movie behind in reviewing right now (and I want to watch the next Disney this evening without feeling guilty), I’m not going to go on and on. I totally could, but for now I will just focus on one aspect of the film that, to me, makes it so special, and you can just assume that whatever else you love about this movie, I probably love too and could write a sonnet about, but won’t just now. The thing I will focus on, however, is how The Incredibles manages to seem both new and old at the same time.

Exciting, but comfortable; futuristic, but nostalgic; familiar, but totally original - these are all adjectives you could apply to The Incredibles. This was an action adventure superhero movie before that genre (or the most recent iteration) really took off - Iron Man didn’t kick off the obsession with superheroes until four years after The Incredibles was released - and yet there’s already a hilarious amount of self-awareness in the film, of which the ‘No Capes’ rant and Syndrome chastising himself for ‘monologuing’ are probably the best examples.

And Pixar achieves this feat of making you comfortable in a world you didn’t even realise you needed until now, in every aspect of the film. The art design is ‘The-Future-but-how-we-wished-it-could-be-in-the-60s’ - so, better in every way than the real future. The music is brilliantly over-the-top, sounding in some ways like a Bond movie and in others like the theme tune to an old TV thriller, but with a sense of humour about itself.

The characters also continue this theme - they’re ‘supers’, yes, but washed up supers. There is something about having the characters already past their glory days that anchors you in the world so much more effectively than the endless ‘origin stories’ that Marvel and DC churn out. And there’s a sprinkle of Pixar-dust in there too. Even though Mr Incredible and Elastigirl are superheroes, they’re battling everyday mum and dad issues, just like you! I mean, she’s a mum whose superpower is flexibility! How beautiful is that?! This is what I mean when I say the movie fits in beautifully to the Pixar way of doing things, and the Disney way too. Because although the film is quite plot-heavy and endlessly exciting, it’s still grounded in the Parr family and in the recognisable themes of getting older, balancing family and work, and living up to your potential.

So yeah, I love The Incredibles. The self-aware tone, stunning visuals, exciting plot and heartwarming themes come together perfectly in this movie. It’s got all the elements you need for a great Disney movie (lovable characters, fabulous music, stylish animation, outrageous, likeable villain) and something more that’s a little bit special: the power to make you nostalgic for something you never even knew about (Walt would love this!).

P.S. It also has Edna - nuff said.

The Incredibles is pretty great indeed. I love Brad Bird! Amazingly enough, while this movie ticks all of my boxes as a comics and superhero fan, it's not my favorite Pixar film (nor my favorite Brad Bird film). Anyway, it's still really good! I love that it takes place in the past, in a vaguely 1960's/early 70's with all the style that includes (this is even more apparent in the sequel). Of course, I also love Edna! This is a great one for sure.

Last edited:
Pooh’s Heffalump Movie (2005)

In my opinion Pooh’s Heffalump Movie should really be called Roo’s Heffalump Movie, because it’s very much Roo’s story, and in fact Pooh does not cover himself in glory.

We both agreed that Pooh’s Heffalump Movie was our favourite from the Poohniverse so far (there’s still at least one more to go). It’s very sweet and has an actual plot which is even sort of engaging. I’m not going to go into a huge amount of detail, but this film probably manages to achieve the best balance between modern storytelling and the gentle, whimsical ideas in the Winnie the Pooh books. It’s still for younger kids, but there’s probably the most for older people to enjoy of all the ones we’ve watched so far.

Sadly the inhabitants of the 100 Acre Wood (in particular, Rabbit) have not learned the important lesson about xenophobia from their previous experiences with Tigger and Kanga and Roo. They therefore once again react with fear and anger to the evidence of heffalumps in their ‘hood. Of course Roo ends up making friends with the heffalump in question, whose name is Lumpy (it’s not a great name but he is adoooooorable!) and eventually helps him find him mum and acceptance from Rabbit and the other meanies, but not before they have tried to trap and capture Lumpy, and scared the living daylights out of the little cutey. They do not behave as Christopher Robin would want them to in this movie. I blame Rabbit.

In terms of its good points, the movie has some nice bits of old-school animation and the music isn’t terrible. It’s unfortunately an unwelcome return for Carly Simon, whose songs are still not great, though much less revolting than they were in Piglet’s Big Movie. The main strength of the movie, however, is quite easy to define: Lumpy. This character is so cute and the little boy voicing him does such a lovely job that I am now determined to buy a heffalump cuddly toy when I am next in one of the Disney Parks.

The downside to the film is that it doesn't really know what it’s about. It delivers quite a strong message about accepting those who are different to you and not being frightened of change, but it also seems to be trying to cram in a message about growing up. Kanga has a speech to Roo about how growing up takes time and also sings to him about it, and there’s also a running theme about Lumpy needing to find his call, because that will mean he has grown up. Unfortunately, this theme is undermined by the actual events of the story, as Roo and Lumpy are by far the most mature characters in the film. It’s Rabbit, Pooh, Tigger and Piglet who need to grow up!

We were dreading another terrible sequel, but instead we got a nice, gentle film, with a very cute little heffalump in it. If you're going to watch one of the Pooh movies, make it this one!

P.S. The climax of this movie revolves around one of the main characters nearly falling to their death and we’ve started to notice that this is a bit of theme in Disney movies during this period. The Tigger Movie, Piglet’s Big Movie, Brother Bear and Dinosaur shared this plotpoint - were they running out of ideas?

I've never seen that one, but I'm a little surprised to hear about the Heffalump being sympathetic. They are generally portrayed as bad guys (actually I was always under the impression that they weren't real, just something dreamed up to scare Pooh). They include the Heffalumps & Woozles song in villain segments of Disney fireworks shows! In this context, it's kind of messed up.

I have seen this one it's good as Winnie the Pooh movies go, it's cute, sentimental and makes you think of your childhood. As I recall Lumpy was in quite few other things besides this movie. So much so that he ended as a regular of the cast for awhile in a few of the TV shows. I have possibly the weirdest connection to Heffalumps and Woozles in general. I think it stems from a Winnie the Pooh called: Piglet's Big Game where in that game has to go inside his friends' dreams and fight Heffalumps and Woozles by scaring them with scary faces. And there was a particular Woozle in game called a Hide and Seek Woozle, it wore like magician's clothing and as the name implies hides from scary faces and for the longest these breed of enemies became reoccurring figures in my dreams....for some reason. They weren't very nightmarish to me but it was so bizarre how I kept having dreams of them. It even got to the point where I made a character out of that type enemy. And the crazy thing is, it's all true.

I've never seen that one, but I'm a little surprised to hear about the Heffalump being sympathetic. They are generally portrayed as bad guys (actually I was always under the impression that they weren't real, just something dreamed up to scare Pooh). They include the Heffalumps & Woozles song in villain segments of Disney fireworks shows! In this context, it's kind of messed up.

Yes, I thought they were the bad guys aswell before watching this film. Especially, given the titular song's resemblance to Pink Elephants on Parade, which is one of Disney's unsettling numbers!

I have seen this one it's good as Winnie the Pooh movies go, it's cute, sentimental and makes you think of your childhood. As I recall Lumpy was in quite few other things besides this movie. So much so that he ended as a regular of the cast for awhile in a few of the TV shows. I have possibly the weirdest connection to Heffalumps and Woozles in general. I think it stems from a Winnie the Pooh called: Piglet's Big Game where in that game has to go inside his friends' dreams and fight Heffalumps and Woozles by scaring them with scary faces. And there was a particular Woozle in game called a Hide and Seek Woozle, it wore like magician's clothing and as the name implies hides from scary faces and for the longest these breed of enemies became reoccurring figures in my dreams....for some reason. They weren't very nightmarish to me but it was so bizarre how I kept having dreams of them. It even got to the point where I made a character out of that type enemy. And the crazy thing is, it's all true.

I can totally identify with this! Sounds like the kind of thing which would give me nightmares as well! What does a Woozle look like btw?

I can totally identify with this! Sounds like the kind of thing which would give me nightmares as well! What does a Woozle look like btw?
What the game or the fact that I had bizarro dreams about 'em? :rotfl2:

In all seriousness, that particular Woozle looked like this:
It shows up at the 46:53 mark. I honestly am not creeped out by them, I assure you they were far from creepy in the dreams I had about them. And the fact that they appeared in my dreams so much that it sort of became ridiculous over time. The character I made out of this enemy was called Zamboza, he's far from what from what a typical Woozle is usually depicted in the Winnie the Pooh universe, and in fact he isn't even from the same universe as them or is even a petty thief, he is however a god-like entity that prowls around various dimensions trying to find someone unlucky enough to fall in his clutches and send them to his private domain where he likes to play his messed up games on them. He's very deranged and very arrogant and prideful about himself, he considers mortals to be beneath him most of the time. He can shape shift, he can bend the rules of reality and is quite a dangerous individual to be around.

Yes I really have made an entire backstory because of this thing.

Yikes, I’ve fallen behind! I’ll be quick so we’re all caught up:

Finding Nemo – I think this is a really good movie, I recall seeing the trailer for this and thinking it looked really lame, but now I think it’s top notch. I enjoy the humor in the movie, Dory is pretty funny—“I speak whale.”

Brother Bear – It’s ok, the highlight for me are the moose played by Rick Moranis and Dave Thomas, they are comedy gold.

Home On The Range – It isn’t very good but I enjoyed the villain song "Yodel-Adle-Eedle-Idle-Oo. Also the dumb sidekick to Alameda Slim has a couple of moments.

Incredibles – This is terrific, so many clever moments, an homage to 007 in several scenes, and a terrific score. Edna Mode is hysterical.

Heffalump – I don’t think I’ve ever even heard of this movie, it falls under the sequels or spinoffs category so I’ll pass on this.

@BrianL - You’ve never seen Wall-E???:faint: Dude! :confused3 I don’t know if I’d say it’s a favorite but it is VERY well done. It’s very different than the other Pixar films but still enjoyable.

Chicken Little (2005)

*Sigh* Another slightly rubbish offering from Disney Animation Studios - oh dear oh dear. We’re slowly starting to realise why this era of Disney animation has such a poor reputation and why we’ve seen so few of the films.

*Goes to wikipedia article about this movie trying to come up with some positive things to say about it* Holy sh… Patrick Stewart is in this movie?!

So, good points of Chicken Little...let’s think...

...Chicken Little and his friend Abby aren’t terrible characters, though he isn’t particularly well voiced...the little alien is cute...it’s not Home on the Range?? I’m really struggling here.

Basically this movie isn't terrible, it’s just not particularly good in any way. One of its big failings is that it’s desperately trying to be Shrek (with attempts at the same kind of humour and similar music) and to be cool, but sadly fails.

The constant references are somewhat wearisome. There are references to other films during the movie, which is a big mistake (don't remind us of good films during your bad ones, Disney, we’ve talked about this), and references to songs that kids watching the movie would not know or care about, and lots of ‘popular culture’ references which will have dated the film the minute it came out and which now, watching it more than fourteen years after it came out, feel painfully old hat.

For the most part I can see where they were going with the humour, but it just doesn’t land for me, for some reason. There’s some solid silliness that I quite enjoy, with Chicken Little’s fish friend being the best example, but the film also seems to have trouble letting a joke go once it’s introduced it - see: the endless ‘Look, the pig is fat!’ jokes.

The film is also oddly paced and structured. The set up is so poorly explained that I was still asking what happened an hour into the movie; this is followed by an extremely long and boring baseball scene, which then has very little to do with the rest of the movie. The plot doesn't actually show up until nearly half way through, meaning we don’t get enough time with the aliens for us to really give a damn. And in general the story is all a bit depressing, as it revolves around the relationship between Chicken Little and his dad and it’s not a good relationship. The dad fails to ‘believe in’ Little one too many times, so you lose what little interest you had in the relationship to begin with.

And, perhaps worst of all for Disney’s first 3D animated film, the animation is not good. It all looks fake and plasticky, loads of the characters look like copies of each other, and when you compare it to Finding Nemo (which came out two years earlier) it’s all a bit embarrassing.

I must say, people call the seventies and eighties Disney’s Dark Age, but this seems to be the real Dark Age to me. At least some of the seventies and eighties films felt like people who worked on them were having fun!

What the game or the fact that I had bizarro dreams about 'em? :rotfl2:

In all seriousness, that particular Woozle looked like this:
It shows up at the 46:53 mark. I honestly am not creeped out by them, I assure you they were far from creepy in the dreams I had about them. And the fact that they appeared in my dreams so much that it sort of became ridiculous over time. The character I made out of this enemy was called Zamboza, he's far from what from what a typical Woozle is usually depicted in the Winnie the Pooh universe, and in fact he isn't even from the same universe as them or is even a petty thief, he is however a god-like entity that prowls around various dimensions trying to find someone unlucky enough to fall in his clutches and send them to his private domain where he likes to play his messed up games on them. He's very deranged and very arrogant and prideful about himself, he considers mortals to be beneath him most of the time. He can shape shift, he can bend the rules of reality and is quite a dangerous individual to be around.

Yes I really have made an entire backstory because of this thing.

This is genius! Disney should be paying you to come up with either alternative plots for the Poohniverse featuring mutant woozles or there should be a spin-off series centred around the villain Zamboza and his mega skills!

Chicken Little -- Yeah...this is...really weak, and that's being generous. My grandkids pulled our copy recently and I was reminded just how lame it is.

Chicken Little (2005)

*Sigh* Another slightly rubbish offering from Disney Animation Studios - oh dear oh dear. We’re slowly starting to realise why this era of Disney animation has such a poor reputation and why we’ve seen so few of the films.

*Goes to wikipedia article about this movie trying to come up with some positive things to say about it* Holy sh… Patrick Stewart is in this movie?!

So, good points of Chicken Little...let’s think...

...Chicken Little and his friend Abby aren’t terrible characters, though he isn’t particularly well voiced...the little alien is cute...it’s not Home on the Range?? I’m really struggling here.

Basically this movie isn't terrible, it’s just not particularly good in any way. One of its big failings is that it’s desperately trying to be Shrek (with attempts at the same kind of humour and similar music) and to be cool, but sadly fails.

The constant references are somewhat wearisome. There are references to other films during the movie, which is a big mistake (don't remind us of good films during your bad ones, Disney, we’ve talked about this), and references to songs that kids watching the movie would not know or care about, and lots of ‘popular culture’ references which will have dated the film the minute it came out and which now, watching it more than fourteen years after it came out, feel painfully old hat.

For the most part I can see where they were going with the humour, but it just doesn’t land for me, for some reason. There’s some solid silliness that I quite enjoy, with Chicken Little’s fish friend being the best example, but the film also seems to have trouble letting a joke go once it’s introduced it - see: the endless ‘Look, the pig is fat!’ jokes.

The film is also oddly paced and structured. The set up is so poorly explained that I was still asking what happened an hour into the movie; this is followed by an extremely long and boring baseball scene, which then has very little to do with the rest of the movie. The plot doesn't actually show up until nearly half way through, meaning we don’t get enough time with the aliens for us to really give a damn. And in general the story is all a bit depressing, as it revolves around the relationship between Chicken Little and his dad and it’s not a good relationship. The dad fails to ‘believe in’ Little one too many times, so you lose what little interest you had in the relationship to begin with.

And, perhaps worst of all for Disney’s first 3D animated film, the animation is not good. It all looks fake and plasticky, loads of the characters look like copies of each other, and when you compare it to Finding Nemo (which came out two years earlier) it’s all a bit embarrassing.

I must say, people call the seventies and eighties Disney’s Dark Age, but this seems to be the real Dark Age to me. At least some of the seventies and eighties films felt like people who worked on them were having fun!

I saw Chicken Little because of the new 3D technology that I wanted to check out. So, the 3D works really well, and, well, that's about the only good thing I could say. The movie is just not good. It has a Spice Girls song in it for crying out loud! I think you're right in that it was trying to be subversive like Shrek, but it just lacked the charm. Shrek doesn't particularly age well due to the pop-culture references, but it was at least successful at the time. The Spice Girls weren't even relevant with Chicken Little came out! Dark Ages indeed.

Well, they're about to turn a corner though. Get ready for a string of good ones!

Last edited:
This is genius! Disney should be paying you to come up with either alternative plots for the Poohniverse featuring mutant woozles or there should be a spin-off series centred around the villain Zamboza and his mega skills!
I wish they had done now. :rotfl2: It's not bad game Piglet's Big Game, it's simple but definitely a game that's worth playing at the very least. Anyways what's the next movie we are do-oh dear lord why? It had to be this rancid mess? Oh whatever here are my thoughts:

Chicken Little - God help me this movie SUUUUUHHHCKS! If it's not the fact that it's trying to be like Shrek as a movie then the fact that it's such an unpleasant and horrible flick to watch will. The movie is filled to the brim with pop cultural references so much so that it could make even Deadpool just vomit in disgust, I mean first of all, they don't make any sense to be in this movie, second of all why is Indiana Jones being played in a cinema in a town where the population is mostly anthropomorphic animals, why are Abby Mallard and Runt of the Litter singing a freaking Spice Girls song when the Spice Girls haven't been popular since the 1990s? And also why is this film mocking older Disney films at the very beginning? So many questions and yet I have no answers to any of them at all. I think it might be a lot worse than Home on the Range, it's so cynical, the story is an absolute mess, the characters who aren't Chicken Little, Abby, or that Porcupine that just seems to say only a few words of dialogue are just complete and utter jerks and I hate, hate, hate, HATE the fact that Bucky, CL's father is just an abusive and neglectful to his own son and won't even defend him from the town's accusations and just helps him if it benefits him. He's a terrible father, a disgrace to parenting in general. Otherwise the characters are either rather forgettable or just plain unlikable.

The animation might as well look like a PS2 game and it's just not on the standards of Pixar movies. And I find it so tragic that we are getting great films from Pixar during this part of my childhood and yet I'm getting stuff like Home on the Range and Chicken Little from the main company. Why? Just why? And yes it's another movie I saw as a kid and ya know what? I never want to see Chicken Little ever again, I've only seen it once and that's all that movie's getting.

It's so ironic that the Leader of Dreamworks: Jeffrey Katzenberg was actually somebody who worked for Disney and yet because of Shrek that film is the very reason why Chicken Little exists anyway. Disney knew they were struggling at the time with their films so they caved in and decided to copy their rivals and even then it's nowhere what a Disney film should be. This movie can go die in a fire, I hate this film.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter