Disney Movie Marathon Challenge

This one's a bit different because it is not like the package films, which preceded it and came after. Here goes! have you seen it?

Day 8: Victory Through Air Power (1943)

We were a bit apprehensive about this one. What stereotypes were we going to encounter? For anyone who has not had the joy, its a case made through animation for the US using more airpower during the war. It's very diagrammatic. Apparently, it was a success at the time and persuaded Roosevelt to change strategy (this may or may not be an exaggeration by wiki). But I don’t think it will have persuaded the general public to watch more animated films.

The last 2 minutes the film changes approach, and instead of animation showing the movements of planes and the Nazi incursion into France etc we have a massive US eagle attacking Japan represented as an octopus. This is out of keeping with the approach of the rest of the film and creates tension, but is also obviously highly problematic.

I actually study the intersection of propaganda and popular culture (comics) (although not in the US or WW2 context) so it was interesting to see the company’s approach to making the case they wanted at the time. Definitely not a fun watch though.

Tomorrow its back to The Three Caballeros!

I feel like I may have watched this one in school. It's been a long time though. I am familiar with the context and what it tried to do. It might be neat to see it again, but I'm not sure I'd know where I could find it.

I feel like I may have watched this one in school. It's been a long time though. I am familiar with the context and what it tried to do. It might be neat to see it again, but I'm not sure I'd know where I could find it.

By coincidence, last week DisneyLife had a deal for three months subscription for 99p if bought through the amazon fire stick so that how we are watching most things. However, VTAP we watched on youtube. This is the version we watched. It has a commentary in front (which we skipped) and the film starts at 22 min and 50 secs.

Thanks for that link. I watched it this evening. As propaganda goes, it's not too terrible, at least in an insulting sort of way. It was trying to present it's case pretyt scientifficaly, though I'm sure it's not waht one would call 100% realistic. It was neat to watch though and had cool animation of some iconic planes, which I appreciated. The part at the end with the eagle is actually my favorite part.

Thanks for that link. I watched it this evening. As propaganda goes, it's not too terrible, at least in an insulting sort of way. It was trying to present it's case pretyt scientifficaly, though I'm sure it's not waht one would call 100% realistic. It was neat to watch though and had cool animation of some iconic planes, which I appreciated. The part at the end with the eagle is actually my favorite part.
Glad you got a chance to watch it!

Day 9: Three Caballeros (1944)

A welcome return for Jose Carioca! - he's a lot more fun than Donald. Actually not sure why they're friends because Donald is kind of a numpty and doesn't deserve to have such cool friends. I'm also not sure that the Three Caballeros, in general, have earned a sequel at this point!

Donald Duck extremely unlikeable in this movie - spends most of it with eyes literally on stalks chasing woman around. Male gaze fixed beadily on Central and South America throughout this whole movie. A lot of introducing people to the culture of the area seems to consist of showing woman in exotic outfits or swimming costumes.

Some of the music is quite nice but gets a bit lost in all the 'comedy'.

The animated sections are pretty forgettable and you struggle to find a unifying theme - the one about the flying gauchito is probably the best.

Most successful new element of The Three Caballeros (because it is essentially Saludos Amigos 2: The Sequel Nobody Asked For) is the Aracuan Bird, who is actually genuinely funny . Or maybe I just feel this because he makes fun of Donald?

upload_2018-8-2_11-15-52.jpeg

Definitely my least fave of the package films (we are actually a few films ahead so I can legitimately say this!):earsboy:

Day 9: Three Caballeros (1944)

A welcome return for Jose Carioca! - he's a lot more fun than Donald. Actually not sure why they're friends because Donald is kind of a numpty and doesn't deserve to have such cool friends. I'm also not sure that the Three Caballeros, in general, have earned a sequel at this point!

Donald Duck extremely unlikeable in this movie - spends most of it with eyes literally on stalks chasing woman around. Male gaze fixed beadily on Central and South America throughout this whole movie. A lot of introducing people to the culture of the area seems to consist of showing woman in exotic outfits or swimming costumes.

Some of the music is quite nice but gets a bit lost in all the 'comedy'.

The animated sections are pretty forgettable and you struggle to find a unifying theme - the one about the flying gauchito is probably the best.

Most successful new element of The Three Caballeros (because it is essentially Saludos Amigos 2: The Sequel Nobody Asked For) is the Aracuan Bird, who is actually genuinely funny . Or maybe I just feel this because he makes fun of Donald?

View attachment 340882

Definitely my least fave of the package films (we are actually a few films ahead so I can legitimately say this!):earsboy:

Not sure I remember much about this other than the song, which is great. I love Donald, Jose, and Panchito though (and they have a new show, Legend of the Three Caballeros!). You're pretty harsh on Donald - that's just who he is.

Not sure I remember much about this other than the song, which is great. I love Donald, Jose, and Panchito though (and they have a new show, Legend of the Three Caballeros!). You're pretty harsh on Donald - that's just who he is.
I'll ease up on the duck :) I don't think I was very aware of his personality before this. He'll never be one of my favs though!

I'll ease up on the duck :) I don't think I was very aware of his personality before this. He'll never be one of my favs though!

Donald is kind of simple-minded and dumb, like a Homer Simpson. He thinks he can scheme well, but he really can't and it always backfires. He's quick to anger as well. Showing him leering at women at the time would have been pretty normal for cartoons in general. Donald was kind of "that guy" for Disney, as opposed to Mickey or the others.

This is a neat idea. Perhaps I missed this, but is this leading up to a trip you are planning, or not quite? We are going to WDW over the Thanksgiving holiday for 12 days. But we are keeping it a surprise from our kids, and the goal is to only let them figure it out on their own when we arrive at the airport. All that they know is that we are spending Thanksgiving with my parents, who they only get to see once or twice a year. What they don't know is that my parents are joining us at WDW. We are offering subtle hints, though. All of the music in both of our vehicles are rotating various albums of Disney music, but most ambitiously, our middle son is completing his summer break home-homework. It is a movie project where we make up a list of movies for him to watch over the course of the summer. It started out with 94 movies. He is about 76 deep right now. But as he goes, he watches some not on the list but we ok the substitute and add it as an approved addition. So his list has now grown from 94 to 143! But, just as long as he gets to the 94 he passes. We might just extend his time to see if he can complete all of it by Halloween, or leading up to the week before we leave, but obviously once school starts in a few weeks, he will be slowing down tremendously. Of course, every movie on the list or approved for addition, is a Disney or Disney-owned movie...plus Spiderman Homecoming simply because of it's place in the Disney-run MCU. On his down time, he is putting on performances and making posters for his performances of classic Disney films. His own stage productions of [insert name] LIVE! ...And he's constantly watching YouTube videos of new happenings, construction, and changes in the Disney parks....all while having no clue that we're going! He even designs ride queues and ride elements featuring Disney properties, characters, and movies that he feels are under-represented. He's our little Imagineer who wants to move to Florida and work there.

Day 10: Make Mine Music (1946)

This movie had a really lovely start with the Blue Bayou sequence! It is very relaxing and the animation is beautiful. The rest of the film is bit uneven and some of the stories are very strange. One of the weirdest of the package films in general, though with some really nice sequences included.

The Peter and the Wolf sequence is quite good and is probably helped by the fact that the music is so iconic.

There is a reference to this sequence on one of the rides in Disneyland Paris, so it was nice to find out where that story fitted into the Disney canon.

The final section, about Willie the Whale who dreams of singing at the Met but is ultimately harpooned :( is some of the most unusual storytelling I've ever experienced, but is probably the most successful part of the film. I found myself genuinely engaged in Willie's story and rooting for him, and there's no denying that the guy who does all the voices and the singing is amazingly talented.

This is a neat idea. Perhaps I missed this, but is this leading up to a trip you are planning, or not quite? We are going to WDW over the Thanksgiving holiday for 12 days. But we are keeping it a surprise from our kids, and the goal is to only let them figure it out on their own when we arrive at the airport. All that they know is that we are spending Thanksgiving with my parents, who they only get to see once or twice a year. What they don't know is that my parents are joining us at WDW. We are offering subtle hints, though. All of the music in both of our vehicles are rotating various albums of Disney music, but most ambitiously, our middle son is completing his summer break home-homework. It is a movie project where we make up a list of movies for him to watch over the course of the summer. It started out with 94 movies. He is about 76 deep right now. But as he goes, he watches some not on the list but we ok the substitute and add it as an approved addition. So his list has now grown from 94 to 143! But, just as long as he gets to the 94 he passes. We might just extend his time to see if he can complete all of it by Halloween, or leading up to the week before we leave, but obviously once school starts in a few weeks, he will be slowing down tremendously. Of course, every movie on the list or approved for addition, is a Disney or Disney-owned movie...plus Spiderman Homecoming simply because of it's place in the Disney-run MCU. On his down time, he is putting on performances and making posters for his performances of classic Disney films. His own stage productions of [insert name] LIVE! ...And he's constantly watching YouTube videos of new happenings, construction, and changes in the Disney parks....all while having no clue that we're going! He even designs ride queues and ride elements featuring Disney properties, characters, and movies that he feels are under-represented. He's our little Imagineer who wants to move to Florida and work there.

Wow your son's project sounds amazing and a great preparation for the trip! A career as an imagineer would be a dream!

Yes, we are watching all the disney animated classics starting with Snow White in preparation for our trip to Disneyland Paris for Halloween :) Its great fun and so far we have watched some I have never seen before. Its also given us a new appreciation for the early ones like Bambi and Fantasia.:smickey:

Day 10: Make Mine Music (1946)

This movie had a really lovely start with the Blue Bayou sequence! It is very relaxing and the animation is beautiful. The rest of the film is bit uneven and some of the stories are very strange. One of the weirdest of the package films in general, though with some really nice sequences included.

The Peter and the Wolf sequence is quite good and is probably helped by the fact that the music is so iconic.

There is a reference to this sequence on one of the rides in Disneyland Paris, so it was nice to find out where that story fitted into the Disney canon.

The final section, about Willie the Whale who dreams of singing at the Met but is ultimately harpooned :( is some of the most unusual storytelling I've ever experienced, but is probably the most successful part of the film. I found myself genuinely engaged in Willie's story and rooting for him, and there's no denying that the guy who does all the voices and the singing is amazingly talented.

Okay, can't say I've seen this, but I do remember the Peter and the Wolf sequence by Disney as it was often shown on its own. It's good. Where is it referenced at DLP? I do love the music to this film and have the Blue Bayou song on my playlist. It's quite lovely.

Okay, can't say I've seen this, but I do remember the Peter and the Wolf sequence by Disney as it was often shown on its own. It's good. Where is it referenced at DLP? I do love the music to this film and have the Blue Bayou song on my playlist. It's quite lovely.

Its referenced on the storybook boat ride.
upload_2018-8-6_15-0-59.jpeg
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...9jcAhWqC8AKHfKpApoQMwhFKA0wDQ&iact=mrc&uact=8
I believe this ride is also in California (never visited), but I don't know if that scene is included?

So the next film is actually Song of the South, which we have never seen. Unsurprisingly, I was not able to obtain a copy. We are not too sad about this given its rep.

Hopefully, overall, this will be the only one we have to miss out however.

Day 11: Fun and Fancy Free (1947)

This one is very strange. I seem to be saying that allot! It includes two short stories Little Bear Bongo and Mickey and the Beanstalk. Mickey and the Beanstalk is probably stronger overall, although Little Bear Bongo felt more promising at the start. Bongo actually achieved what Dumbo didn’t manage which was to escape the circus! But then he meets his girlfriend called Lulubell!? And they introduce the problematic concept that bears slap each other to show that they are in love. This does not age well.

Mickey is a sweetie in the second story, but Donald goes crazy from hunger at the start of the story and attempts to axe Friend Cow and then chomp down on his tail while still alive. Poor Donald! I really like the singing harp. Her song is very early Disney Princess.

The second story is better but the framing device is creepy. It's a ventriloquist guy (who was famous at the time) telling Mickey’s story to a little girl at a party, while his two puppets make interjections. Very strange! The giant turning out to be 'real' and lifting the roof of the ventriloquist's house at the end, was a good twist though!

These two longer stories are definitely more memorable though!

The title song for this one is pretty great. "Fun, fun, fun and fancy freeee!" I can't say I remember the first sequence, but Mickey and the Beanstalk is a classic and was shown on it's own many times over the years. I never even knew it was part of a feature until I was really studying Disney history. Anyway, it's a fun short with beautiful scenery. Yup, that's Donald too. He's a lunatic! It's been a while since I watched it, but I do remember the harp but can't place the song.

The title song for this one is pretty great. "Fun, fun, fun and fancy freeee!" I can't say I remember the first sequence, but Mickey and the Beanstalk is a classic and was shown on it's own many times over the years. I never even knew it was part of a feature until I was really studying Disney history. Anyway, it's a fun short with beautiful scenery. Yup, that's Donald too. He's a lunatic! It's been a while since I watched it, but I do remember the harp but can't place the song.

The Harp sings two I think: My What A Happy Day and My Favourite Dream :

So the next film is actually Song of the South, which we have never seen. Unsurprisingly, I was not able to obtain a copy. We are not too sad about this given its rep.

Hopefully, overall, this will be the only one we have to miss out however.

I don't want to ruffle anyone's feathers, but I do wish that Disney would release this simply for the historical value. It doesn't need a grand promotional campaign or anything like that. I have a graduate degree in American history, and I have to say that there really isn't anything wrong with the film itself. It is generally historically accurate. The film is based off African American literature and is based after the abolition of slavery, during a time when many former slaves still remained living and working on plantations although free. The uncomfortable part is that there were a fair minority of situations where the relationship between the whites and blacks were loving, peaceful, and mutually respectful historically, and this is depicted in the film. The problem is that by depicting a minority setting in a film, it presents this situation (whether intentionally or unintentionally) as idyllic or as an accurate general/majority representation. So, I do wish it would be available to a degree, although Disney would be wise to not market it, and since it is an uncomfortable subject is exactly why it is not available. Oprah Winfrey and others in the African American community, however, are also petitioning for a historical perspective of the film.

I don't want to ruffle anyone's feathers, but I do wish that Disney would release this simply for the historical value. It doesn't need a grand promotional campaign or anything like that. I have a graduate degree in American history, and I have to say that there really isn't anything wrong with the film itself. It is generally historically accurate. The film is based off African American literature and is based after the abolition of slavery, during a time when many former slaves still remained living and working on plantations although free. The uncomfortable part is that there were a fair minority of situations where the relationship between the whites and blacks were loving, peaceful, and mutually respectful historically, and this is depicted in the film. The problem is that by depicting a minority setting in a film, it presents this situation (whether intentionally or unintentionally) as idyllic or as an accurate general/majority representation. So, I do wish it would be available to a degree, although Disney would be wise to not market it, and since it is an uncomfortable subject is exactly why it is not available. Oprah Winfrey and others in the African American community, however, are also petitioning for a historical perspective of the film.
I agree I do feel it would be better for Disney to acknowledge the movie instead of pretending it never happened. They should re-release it with a commentary and include a proper discussion, which does not make excuses but discusses the issues raised.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!