Disney Movie Marathon Challenge

Ah how wonderful for her! Must be a fantastic part to play, lots of great interactions!

I agree the opening scene is quite long and as a child, I was eager for them to get flying. I now appreciate the humor in the interactions allot more (especially the way they all ignore the trials Mr Darling), but again its not a fave! Got to hit the 90s before both our favs start popping up!

I would never have thought a project like this would have been possible as we only own a few Disney films, its just lucky Disney life or youtube has most. I would love to have a collection :)
When I was a kid growing up in the 80s, we only had Lady and the Tramp and Peter Pan on VHS, that I recall. We began our Disney movie collection (both hard copy and digital if at all possible) in earnest a few years ago (I mean, of course we would pick up the new releases as they came out), and dealing with the Disney vault is frustrating (understandable, but frustrating), especially when you want to make sure that there is a proper digital collection. I just knew that Peter Pan would be a hit with our two youngest kids. Once it was re-released earlier this year, I snagged it, along with Return to Neverland, and boy oh boy was I right. My youngest begs to watch at least one of them every day. He jumps all over the furniture trying to fly. We keep reminding him that he needs pixie dust in order to fly. So we need to make sure that he does NOT meet Tinkerbell on our upcoming trip. We fear he will grab her, shake her, and drag her all over in order to get some pixie dust so he can properly fly....and not just "the Buzz Light-year kind" of falling with style that he's been doing! :)

Day 16: Peter Pan (1953)

We both very much enjoyed watching Peter Pan. Again the visuals are wonderful, especially the shots of them flying over London, Neverland from the air and the beautiful floating pirate ship at the end! I always wonder why this ride is so mobbed in the parks (although I love it myself) and these visuals are the reason why! Additionally, the songs are really memorable.

After some discussion, we both agreed Hook is definitely the best villain up to this point in the watching marathon (although Lady Tremaine, the Evil Queen and Lucifer are all iconic). He actually has a motivation and manages to be funny and scary at the same time. The other characters are good too. I love the way Michael keeps repeating what John has said using other words. I had not noticed that before. Disneylife has some great documentaries about the film (as it does for most of the classics-highly recommended) and one of them tried to suggest Tink was a feminist icon, which given her motivations for doing most things in the film (jealousy of other female characters) I take a bit of an issue with. She's a great character, but I'm not buying that interpretation Disney! :):tinker:

The film is very dated in certain respects and again it brings up the question of how Disney deals with problematic elements of its historical filmmaking and why films such as Song of the South are banned entirely, but the treatment of Native American peoples in this film is unaddressed.

Next stop Lady and the Tramp!

Peter Pan is definitely a great movie, despite the fact that I don't much care for the titular character. He's petulant, selfish, and practically a sociopath. He's fun to watch, but I'm not sympathetic. I can imagine that Hook may even have been some kind of respectable sailor before Pan literally drove him insane. He abducts children and plays his friends off of one another. The movie is practically a farce, but in a good way. The only character in the whole thing who acts any kind of responsibly is Nana. Poor Nana!

Anyway, the songs are great, the colors pop, and overall it's a fun ride through a fun world. Personally, I'm just not that sensitive to some of the outdated depictions. I mean, yeah, they're pretty on the nose, but I don't think it was meant to be insulting. I mean, I see how it is insulting, but I don't think that was the intent. I can take it for what it is from the time in which it was made.

We both very much enjoyed watching Peter Pan. Again the visuals are wonderful, especially the shots of them flying over London, Neverland from the air and the beautiful floating pirate ship at the end!
Great post, and yes the visuals you mentioned are pretty much iconic. When they're flying over London and land on the hands of the clock on Big Ben practically makes the whole movie for me.

Lady and the Tramp is not a big favorite of mine but it does have a lot going for it. Obviously the Bella Notte scene with the spaghetti is among the most famous scenes in any movie. You could reference that scene in a conversation and 90 percent of people would get the reference. My favorite character is the chef who calls Tramp "Butch." I think they also captured "first night with a new puppy" very well. I also enjoy that L&TT is filmed in Cinemascope, I believe it was the first animated feature utilizing the techonology.

When I was a kid growing up in the 80s, we only had Lady and the Tramp and Peter Pan on VHS, that I recall. We began our Disney movie collection (both hard copy and digital if at all possible) in earnest a few years ago (I mean, of course we would pick up the new releases as they came out), and dealing with the Disney vault is frustrating (understandable, but frustrating), especially when you want to make sure that there is a proper digital collection. I just knew that Peter Pan would be a hit with our two youngest kids. Once it was re-released earlier this year, I snagged it, along with Return to Neverland, and boy oh boy was I right. My youngest begs to watch at least one of them every day. He jumps all over the furniture trying to fly. We keep reminding him that he needs pixie dust in order to fly. So we need to make sure that he does NOT meet Tinkerbell on our upcoming trip. We fear he will grab her, shake her, and drag her all over in order to get some pixie dust so he can properly fly....and not just "the Buzz Light-year kind" of falling with style that he's been doing! :)

Haha I wish him all the luck with his flying! Tink flying above the castle will be an epic moment for him (luckily she's too high for him to grab! :)

Never watched Return to Neverland, will have to check it out.

Never watched Return to Neverland, will have to check it out.

As with almost all the direct-to-video sequels, it leaves a lot to be desired....so go into it with that type of mentality.

I must say, though, that I thoroughly enjoyed Lion King 1&half. Very, very well done.

Agree about Peter Pan and Nana! Poor Nana!

Its part of our review process to look at these movies through a 21st century and female lens because that's who we are. We're in no way offended - these are just cartoons - and Disney's failings of various kinds over the years haven't made us love them any less, but we want to look at the whole picture.

Tink is a great example of this. I don't think anyone at the time she was designed would have suggested that she was a feminist character. She's sexy, feisty and naughty. Not to mention an attempted murderer. She then became Walt's symbol for his TV specials, a symbol of magic and the Disney brand and eventually ended up looking like butter-wouldn't-melt on every bit of merchandise they could slap her face on, aimed at everybody from babies to adults. And then some time in the early 2000s someone felt she needed a bit of a rebrand, so they decided she was a feminist. This for me makes the character, and how perceptions of her have changed over the years, even more interesting.

We love happily ever after and princesses and fairies and talking animals and brilliant characters making their dreams come true. However, there's always a lot going on in the world when Disney films are being created and looking at that context and the effects that it had, both good and bad, is important and fun too!

As with almost all the direct-to-video sequels, it leaves a lot to be desired....so go into it with that type of mentality.

I must say, though, that I thoroughly enjoyed Lion King 1&half. Very, very well done.

Return to Neverland was not direct-to-video and was released to theaters in 2002. The production was not led by the production studio fro the DTV sequel films, though they did contribute. It was given a theatrical budget as well. I've never seen it, so I can't really speak about it's quality on the whole, but it was indeed a theatrical release.

Return to Neverland was not direct-to-video and was released to theaters in 2002. The production was not led by the production studio fro the DTV sequel films, though they did contribute. It was given a theatrical budget as well. I've never seen it, so I can't really speak about it's quality on the whole, but it was indeed a theatrical release.
Well. Huh. Yes, you're right...then again, it was apparently originally going to be DTV, and the reviews are similar.

Day 17: Lady and the Tramp (1955)

Lady and the Tramp is a really lovely movie. It seems a shame that it gets a bit overlooked sometimes because there's loads about it that's really good. Everyone knows that one scene with the spaghetti, but I think a lot of people don't remember much about the rest of the movie.

As an adult I really liked the beginning of the movie, which establishes the characters of Lady, Jim Dear and Darling and the two next door neighbour dogs really effectively. I think I didn't really pay much attention to the humans when I was a kid, but seeing Jim Dear going out in a blizzard to get watermelon and chop suey for his pregnant wife some time around the turn of the century makes me like him a lot. I have a suspicion though that a child watching this movie would find it a bit slow to start off with. The dramatic events don't really start until Aunt Sarah turns up with the Siamese cats which is a good 20-25 minutes or so into the movie.

As I said though, as an adult I don't mind that they take things quite slow. I like that this movie spends time on establishing the relationships between its characters, and not just between Lady and the Tramp, but between Lady and her two friends as well. And these four characters are all very likeable and cute, which is nice to see after Alice and Peter Pan, where many of the characters are difficult to like. I also really liked all the stray dog characters that Lady meets in the pound. The song that Peg sings is absolutely brilliant - one of the best we've heard so far I think.

Although we placed the movie somewhere in what we call the Edwardian period in the UK (not sure what it's called in the US) we had a bit of trouble working out where it was taking place. Does anybody know? Wherever it was it looked very idyllic and pretty and as usual was wonderfully designed by the Disney artists.

My one criticism might be that the movie is a bit too nice and maybe a bit safe. Everything is pretty and there's no villain except for the slightly underdeveloped rat and Aunt Sarah who is just a bit annoying because her villainy comes from misunderstanding situations. There's also no standout comedy moments - though the beaver and the log puller had us chuckling. As a result of being a bit safe, the movie doesn't make a huge impression, which is maybe why it gets overlooked. This is a very mild criticism though, because it's a lovely film, which we really enjoyed watching.

Day 17: Lady and the Tramp (1955)

Lady and the Tramp is a really lovely movie. It seems a shame that it gets a bit overlooked sometimes because there's loads about it that's really good. Everyone knows that one scene with the spaghetti, but I think a lot of people don't remember much about the rest of the movie.

As an adult I really liked the beginning of the movie, which establishes the characters of Lady, Jim Dear and Darling and the two next door neighbour dogs really effectively. I think I didn't really pay much attention to the humans when I was a kid, but seeing Jim Dear going out in a blizzard to get watermelon and chop suey for his pregnant wife some time around the turn of the century makes me like him a lot. I have a suspicion though that a child watching this movie would find it a bit slow to start off with. The dramatic events don't really start until Aunt Sarah turns up with the Siamese cats which is a good 20-25 minutes or so into the movie.

As I said though, as an adult I don't mind that they take things quite slow. I like that this movie spends time on establishing the relationships between its characters, and not just between Lady and the Tramp, but between Lady and her two friends as well. And these four characters are all very likeable and cute, which is nice to see after Alice and Peter Pan, where many of the characters are difficult to like. I also really liked all the stray dog characters that Lady meets in the pound. The song that Peg sings is absolutely brilliant - one of the best we've heard so far I think.

Although we placed the movie somewhere in what we call the Edwardian period in the UK (not sure what it's called in the US) we had a bit of trouble working out where it was taking place. Does anybody know? Wherever it was it looked very idyllic and pretty and as usual was wonderfully designed by the Disney artists.

My one criticism might be that the movie is a bit too nice and maybe a bit safe. Everything is pretty and there's no villain except for the slightly underdeveloped rat and Aunt Sarah who is just a bit annoying because her villainy comes from misunderstanding situations. There's also no standout comedy moments - though the beaver and the log puller had us chuckling. As a result of being a bit safe, the movie doesn't make a huge impression, which is maybe why it gets overlooked. This is a very mild criticism though, because it's a lovely film, which we really enjoyed watching.

I haven't seen this one in quite some time. I really should pick up that Signature Edition that is in stores now (same for Peter Pan). I remember really liking the Siamese cats though and their creepy singing. You've gotta love that Disney Naming: Darling and Jim Dear! Lady and the Tramp takes place in 1909, so about the same time as the Aristocats. It's pretty easy to see these two taking place in the same world. Anyway, I wish I had more to say about it, but I just don't remember the details.

Last edited:
Day 18: Sleeping Beauty (1959)

I did not watch this film for years as Maleficent really scared me as a child. I don’t think any other character in any other medium terrified me so much. The scene with the green spot was particularly unsettling, as a child I could not understand what was happening to Sleeping Beauty. Sadly, I also could not listen to that particular piece of Tchaikovsky music for ages as it brought back memories of the scene.

Thankfully, and finally, as an adult, I can watch this movie for the first time and really enjoy it. While the story is incredibly thin on the ground, it is undoubtedly an artistic masterpiece. You could freeze any frame and have an incredible piece of art.

As far as criticism goes, the main characters are once again a little underdeveloped and poor Aurora suffers the same fate as Snow White and Cinderella - her movie is wrestled away from her by second-tier characters, in this case the three good fairies. However, the fairies are really cute so I don’t mind too much. Basically, this movie has to be appreciated in a different way, as it’s more a work of art than a children’s fairytale. So on to what we liked!

We both adored the way they drew on inspiration from medieval artwork and tapestries. The whole aesthetic of the film is so unique and really sets it apart from other Disney classics. The backgrounds are just stunning, I love the box trees in the forest! And there are some really iconic scenes; Prince Philip (with the fairies help) fighting the dragon being my personal favourite!

This piece has a lot fewer comedy sketches than films such as Snow White, but there are some excellent moments, e.g. the drunk bard and more famously the fairies fighting over the colour of the dress. Additionally, the decision not to go with a 'Disneyfied' score and to use the ballet music was genius. However ‘Once Upon a Dream’ is a beautiful addition and Aurora sings it beautifully.

The scene with the green spot may have terrified me as a kid, but the way they marry the animation and the score is excellent, no wonder it had such an impact. Wow, just realised I used a lot of superlatives (and this is not even a Renaissance film, where will we be when I get to my actual faves), can you tell we liked this one?

Again Sleeping Beauty will never be either of our favourites, but I am so glad I can watch it now and enjoy it as a fantastic piece of art (and kind of the end of an era in animation)!

Now, Sleeping Beauty is probably my favroite of the classic Disney films, and I've watched it recently too. You are right in that is is just plain gorgeous, and the backgrounds among the best of any animated film ever made. I love this film, and yeah, it's thin, but it has that high fantasy vibe. Prince Philip is so great too! He handles his business like a boss, but never comes off as arrogant. The action sequences are spectacular! This is one for the ages and one of the best Disney classics.

Last edited:
[Prince Philip is so great too! He handles his business like a boss, but never comes off as arrogant]

Totally agree, he definitely the best of the Disney heroes so far. I love how he simply ignores his father when told he is to marry a woman he has not met. I also like the fact that when he battles the dragon, they make it look like an effort and he's not jumping around the place unrealistically. Plus he is not above getting help!

We shall definitely be visiting the sleeping dragon under DLP castle when we go. Maybe on Halloween night would be a good time!

Day 19: One Hundred and One Dalmatians (1961)

We both really enjoyed watching this one again (it has been a while). I love the modern aesthetic and the fact that the film was set at the time it was made. This makes it kind of unique in regard to the films we have seen up till now.

I adore the original story and they did a really good job of getting all the key moments of Dodie Smith's book into the Disney version. The twilight bark is a wonderful idea taken from the book, which works really well here (with characters from Lady and the Tramp participating). It is probably the best sequence in the movie, although the dalmations covered in soot and escaping under the Horace, Jasper and Cruella’s noses and Roger delivering the ‘bluesy’ Cruella De Vil and dancing his wife round the living room are highlights too This really is the ultimate song about a Disney villain! In general, the film is well paced with all the action serving the story and as we've seen that wasn't always the case with these movies.

The characters and the relationships between them are also well developed. I love the relationship between Roger and Anita and the fact that they have the same silly sense of humour. I wish Perdita could have a tiny bit more agency, but the dalmations, in general, are well characterised. Cruella and her minions are of course great. She’s iconic!

Day 19: One Hundred and One Dalmatians (1961)

We both really enjoyed watching this one again (it has been a while). I love the modern aesthetic and the fact that the film was set at the time it was made. This makes it kind of unique in regard to the films we have seen up till now.

I adore the original story and they did a really good job of getting all the key moments of Dodie Smith's book into the Disney version. The twilight bark is a wonderful idea taken from the book, which works really well here (with characters from Lady and the Tramp participating). It is probably the best sequence in the movie, although the dalmations covered in soot and escaping under the Horace, Jasper and Cruella’s noses and Roger delivering the ‘bluesy’ Cruella De Vil and dancing his wife round the living room are highlights too This really is the ultimate song about a Disney villain! In general, the film is well paced with all the action serving the story and as we've seen that wasn't always the case with these movies.

The characters and the relationships between them are also well developed. I love the relationship between Roger and Anita and the fact that they have the same silly sense of humour. I wish Perdita could have a tiny bit more agency, but the dalmations, in general, are well characterised. Cruella and her minions are of course great. She’s iconic!

So, haven't seen 101 in so long that I doubt I could even comment on the content beyond the Cruella De Vil song, which is really great, and it's funny that a character in the movie actually made it up and there is worry that he'll get caught making fun of Cruella. In my and my friends 'opinion, Cruella wins the title for most evil Disney villain. I mean, sure there are the conquer-the-kingdom types, the evil sorceresses, even the great demon Chernabog. Honestly though, I think even they draw the line at killing a bunch of puppies for a coat! I mean, man, that's all kinds of wrong.

[In my and my friends 'opinion, Cruella wins the title for most evil Disney villain. I mean, sure there are the conquer-the-kingdom types, the evil sorceresses, even the great demon Chernabog. Honestly though, I think even they draw the line at killing a bunch of puppies for a coat! I mean, man, that's all kinds of wrong.[/QUOTE]

She is evil, though I think for me Scar wins. Fratricide and then makes his nephew think he is to blame!

Cruella and McLeish from rescuers down under would get on well...

Day 20: The Sword and The Stone (1963)

I’ve never really liked this one and both of us found this to be the case this time around as well. Its strange really because you would think the story of King Arthur’s boyhood would be really interesting and exciting.

Part of the problem, I think is the actual trajectory of the story itself, which seems very episodic and not actually serving the greater narrative in the way Dalmations does so well. When Arthur does pull the sword from the stone it is an accident and he does not seem any better prepared or willing then he was before Merlin’s teaching. The filmmakers seem to be wanting to make some philosophical statement about education for education's sake which is great and I am all for, but attempts to make this point keep getting hijacked by ‘comedy’ moments and songs, which don’t seem to fit.

What is with the wolf that keeps following Merlin and Arthur around? Is he supposed to represent the strong preying on the weak? Because if so, the design of the character doesn’t suit the theme at all, as he’s so weedy and pathetic.

Archimedes and Merlin are great characters. I am not sure how Madame Mim really serves the story, but she is fun to have around as well.

I believe Merlin’s statements at the end about the advantages of TV and full films is the first instance of Disney obviously adopting a ‘self aware’ approach. Good try guys, I chuckled, but you didn't quite pull it off.:)

[In my and my friends 'opinion, Cruella wins the title for most evil Disney villain. I mean, sure there are the conquer-the-kingdom types, the evil sorceresses, even the great demon Chernabog. Honestly though, I think even they draw the line at killing a bunch of puppies for a coat! I mean, man, that's all kinds of wrong.

She is evil, though I think for me Scar wins. Fratricide and then makes his nephew think he is to blame!

Cruella and McLeish from rescuers down under would get on well...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but at least Scar had an agenda - to rule and to feed his hyena friends. I mean, yeah, it's pretty bad, but Cruella's only motive was fashion. That's just wrong!

Day 20: The Sword and The Stone (1963)

I’ve never really liked this one and both of us found this to be the case this time around as well. Its strange really because you would think the story of King Arthur’s boyhood would be really interesting and exciting.

Part of the problem, I think is the actual trajectory of the story itself, which seems very episodic and not actually serving the greater narrative in the way Dalmations does so well. When Arthur does pull the sword from the stone it is an accident and he does not seem any better prepared or willing then he was before Merlin’s teaching. The filmmakers seem to be wanting to make some philosophical statement about education for education's sake which is great and I am all for, but attempts to make this point keep getting hijacked by ‘comedy’ moments and songs, which don’t seem to fit.

What is with the wolf that keeps following Merlin and Arthur around? Is he supposed to represent the strong preying on the weak? Because if so, the design of the character doesn’t suit the theme at all, as he’s so weedy and pathetic.

Archimedes and Merlin are great characters. I am not sure how Madame Mim really serves the story, but she is fun to have around as well.

I believe Merlin’s statements at the end about the advantages of TV and full films is the first instance of Disney obviously adopting a ‘self aware’ approach. Good try guys, I chuckled, but you didn't quite pull it off.:)

This is one that I agree could have been so much more. It actually feels like one of the package pictures with its episodic nature, and some episodes are better than others. The magic battle with Madame Mim would be a highlight, though I agree that it really serves no purpose in the overall narrative. Still, there are some very nice characters here and iconic Disney imagery, but as a whole the story falls flat.

Last edited:
This is one that I agree could have been so much more. It actually feels like one of the package pictures with it's episodic nature, and some episodes are better than others. The magic battle with Madame Mim would be a highlight, though I agree that it really serves no purpose in the overall narrative. Still, there are some very nice characters here and iconic Disney imagery, but as a whole the story falls flat.

It's actually the first one that I have thought really needs the live-action remake.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!