Disney Movies A-Z June Exercise Challenge

sophy1996

DIS Veteran
Welcome to the Disney Movies A-Z June Exercise Challenge! This month while we put in active minutes we'll also be moving through the alphabet, looking at various movies made or released by Disney-affiliated labels.

Here's how it works:

1) Choose a monthly goal in minutes.

Since June has 30 days here are some popular conversions, but your goal can be any other number you choose:

10 min/day - 300
15 min/day - 450
20 min/day - 600
30 min/day - 900
40 min/day - 1200
45 min/day - 1350
60 min/day - 1800

2) Post your active minutes towards that goal. You get to decide what exercise counts towards that goal. It can be anything you like.

The most fun and motivating part of these challenges are the
:rainbow:Color Changes:rainbow:
as we get closer to our goals.

10% of goal: Amazing Azure
25% of goal: Exciting Orange
50% of goal: Indefatigable Purple
75% of goal: Obtainable Pink
90% of goal: Unswerving Red
100% of goal: Zippy WISH Green

If you're discovering this later in the month, feel free to join in as well.

Participants:

galaxygirl76 1005/1000
PollyannaMom 480/450
scdak 636/600
Shrfleen 560/450
snels 1185/1000
sophy1996 1200/1200

Tasha228 1312/1700
Twilight Sparkle 1580/1200

Team Total: 7958/7600 104.7%

Last edited:

Welcome to the eve of the June exercise challenge!

There are a few Disney movies that don't quite fit in the A-Z theme, since their titles start with numbers. Of course we all know 101 Dalmatians (1961 cartoon; 1996 live-action) and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1954). But also Touchstone Pictures produced a movie I really enjoyed, 10 Things I Hate About You (1999). A modern retelling of The Taming of the Shrew set in a high school, it stars Heath Ledger in his first U.S. movie as well as Julia Stiles and Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

Last edited:

First day of the month and the first color change already! Congratulations to snels for achieving Amazing Azure status.

Even disregarding movies that start simply with "A" -- for example, A Bug's Life -- there are plenty of "A" movies to choose from, among them Aladdin (1992), Alice in Wonderland (1951 animated; 2010 live-action), Atlantis: The Lost Empire (2001), and Arachnophobia (1990) (the first film released by the Hollywood Pictures label). One that I may have to look for is America's Heart and Soul (2004), a documentary telling the extraordinary stories of ordinary people all across the United States. This film won the Heartland Film Festival's Truly Moving Picture Award. (In case you, like me, had never heard of that festival, it's entering its 26th year in Indianapolis, Indiana. According to its website, the Truly Moving Picture Award Films is for films that "have the power to promote positive change in audiences’ lives through the transformative power of the art form.")

Since I liked biking on rail trails so much 2 weeks ago I bought another bike for my house in SC, the other new one is in upstate NY. I knew I wasn't going to be happy with the basically new but only 1 speed at my regular house (SC) and I wouldn't ride it so I bought one today and will have it by Thursday - then I plan to put in some miles around here! Stay tuned for updates :)

A bridge between "A" and "B" is Adventures in Babysitting (1987), which was Chris Columbus's directorial debut. I loved this movie when I was a teenager in the Chicago suburbs in the 1980s. Apparently it was remade as a TV movie for The Disney Channel in 2016.

As for "B," what comes to mind? Of course, there's Bambi (1942), Beauty and the Beast (1991 cartoon; 2017 live-action), and Brave (2012). But having mentioned Chris Columbus, I'll also point out Bicentennial Man (1999), directed by Columbus and starring Robin Williams, in which an android begins to experience emotions and creative thought. The movie is inspired by a story by Isaac Asimov, and his Three Laws of Robotics governed Williams' android character.

B to C = Beverly Hills Chihuahua (2008)!

For C, there's Cars (2006) and Cinderella (1950 animated, 2015 live-action), as well as Chicken Little (2005), Disney's first fully computer-animated feature and the first film to be released in Disney Digital 3-D. And of course Cocktail (1988), starring a pre-couch-jumping Tom Cruise, Bryan Brown, and Elisabeth Shue. According to IMDB trivia, "[t]his film is listed among The 100 Most Enjoyably Bad Movies Ever Made in Golden Raspberry Award founder John Wilson's book THE OFFICIAL RAZZIE® MOVIE GUIDE."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts