Disney needs to admit what it is doing

Disney is a business.

You can easily get a parade spot or fireworks spot without paying an upcharge. It's there so those that want to splurge can and Disney reaps the benefits.

It doesn't affect me at all and I've never paid for a dessert party, special ticketed event, etc

Exactly. I just don't understand the mentality of such anger towards any of this. They are offering things that people can buy...and as I said before, do buy in mass. But they don't say "You MUST buy this or you may not enter". It's your choice. They're a business, not a charity, they're in this to make money. Does everyone have the same anger and rage toward SeaWorld, Six Flags, etc....?

Yes, I'm a "Disney apologist", blah, blah, blah...I have no problem admitting that. Even with that, even trying to be as critical as I can I just can't see faulting a business for making money. And those who say that they're ONLY in it to make money and care about nothing else...sorry you feel that way, but my experience every single time I go to WDW (and I've been plenty of times) tells me that's not true. It's a magical place. How many here oooh and aaaah over the experience of staying in the "Disney bubble", right?

I don't have an issue with these types of offerings. But it is too bad that they took away the FP option for the parade and fireworks in MK. Those were a nice option

Simple . .it is easier to "mask" what you are truly paying for if you include something like a meal that has more value to people than simply "a view". It makes it more appealing than $25 for a view (even though that is probably what you are paying after the dinner).

Look at the Early Morning Magic -- how the unlimited rides (which people would probably pay for by itself) is paired with a buffet breakfast.

But that's the thing . . . anybody can get a good spot without spending the money. You just need to invest more time into finding and keeping that spot. With fireworks and shows viewing, you simply need to decide what you are willing to invest more of - time in waiting for a spot or money to do an event and save a little time. We have done a few of the special events, but have never felt the need for the FoF one as we always find a good spot and it's never taken a ton of time out of our day.
Good point. And for us I would rather trade time for $. Others may prefer the opposite. I like that they have the options. We don’t worry about parades but have used it for fireworks.

I'm not following what you're suggesting actually change. Should Disney change their marketing material to read -- Come to Disney World, we don't care about you or your kids but you will be duped into spending a lot of cash that will pay our lavish salaries so come spend spend spend. (?) That's not how business works. Should daycares and grocery stores do the same? They all basically "only exist to make money". Yet they all utilize creative, positivie advertising to sell their product in a good way. Disney is one of the best at this and owns some of the strongest brands in the world. They are selling a good time and will cater to people willing to buy dinner and a parade over people who just want the parade. Remember if you are the person trying to minimize expense and just get the attractions you want for cheap then Disney has no incentive to cater to you.
Lol! While they’re at it, admit the characters aren’t real too, but we are being tricked into believing it’s a magical place.

Who remembers the VIP private tent cabana things in Tomorrowland? LOL
Those may be the oddest things, even I, the queen of buying add on's, couldn't get behind. I mean, just last week we did 4 dessert parties. We enjoy them that much. Sometimes, we enjoy the dessert party more than we enjoy the fireworks that come with it. But even I was not getting the cabana's in Tomorrow Land. Not because of how they looked but because I just couldn't understand who would use one. And evidently, not many is the answer. They didn't last. And if they had been popular enough, they would have found a way to make them work

Simple . .it is easier to "mask" what you are truly paying for if you include something like a meal that has more value to people than simply "a view". It makes it more appealing than $25 for a view (even though that is probably what you are paying after the dinner).

Look at the Early Morning Magic -- how the unlimited rides (which people would probably pay for by itself) is paired with a buffet breakfast.
Exactly my point, thank you. Disney doesn't want it to be that obvious. And for those shaking their head or saying why are you buying this and then complaining about it ..I'm complaining about the option of having to pair it with something as I said I'm perfectly happy to buy a view but Disney doesn't want to sell just that view because that's too obvious a money-grubbing grab.

We've now reached a new sub-level of complaining: that Disney isn't upcharging people the way some want them to.
Exactly.

The OP doesn't mind the upcharging. She just wants it for what she wants.

It is like people that ask about a dining plan that fits exactly how they tour and eat. You know, I want one table service, two quick service and one snack.

I've enjoyed reading this thread. I'm one of those who unashamedly books all the add ons. We choose to stay at a moderate rather than deluxe so we have more spending money and we do all the dessert parties, the parade meal thing and Fantasmic dining package. I always do Early Morning Magic and have paid for VIP tours - I loved the Wild Africa Trek. I really enjoy doing the add ons. And happy to pay for them. It comes down to choice - you choose to do or not to do so hopefully there is something for everyone. My nearest park is Paris and they are a million miles behind Orlando. Which is why we no longer bother and save to come out to WDW every year and enjoy all that it has to offer.

The only way Disney would do away with the food/viewing area combo is if people stop paying for it. You've already booked both (HEA dessert and Tony's FOP), so that contributes to the problem.

Exactly. Supply and demand works. Look at the FEMA tents in MK. No one paid for that nonsense, so Disney did away with it.

It's just an added experience, and yes of course its a way for Disney to make more money, why wouldn't they, especially if people are willing to pay for it.. If you don't want/need the dining then just don't book the package.. I don't like the package either and I simply don't book them, I have rarely had an issue with finding at least a decent place to watch parades/fireworks, if I decide that I want dining then I just book a standard ADR at a restaurant of my choice without the package component, no need for the package..

I'm now visualizing the threads that would exist if Disney charged for parade viewing and offered nothing else.

Those may be the oddest things, even I, the queen of buying add on's, couldn't get behind. I mean, just last week we did 4 dessert parties. We enjoy them that much. Sometimes, we enjoy the dessert party more than we enjoy the fireworks that come with it. But even I was not getting the cabana's in Tomorrow Land. Not because of how they looked but because I just couldn't understand who would use one. And evidently, not many is the answer. They didn't last. And if they had been popular enough, they would have found a way to make them work

Now if they had had the cabanas near the Hub, that might have been another story. But they would have had to be smaller and better looking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter