Disney+ News

Status
Not open for further replies.
This movie has Curse of the Black Pearl written all over it. I’m not a huge animated Mulan fan, but I think they put a more fantasy element to the story, and I have loved every trailer they’ve released. If I need the songs and Mushu, I can watch the animated version. But I think this movie needs to be seen on the big screen.

Tenent opens July 17th
Mulan July 24th
WW84 August 14th
New Mutants (😒) August 28th
A Quiet Place 2 September 4th

All of those movies could comfortably sit in theaters for 2 months and make money.
Oh, absolutely. I think the ship has sailed on Disney launching Mulan on digital in some form. Things are beginning to re-open, and people probably aren't quite comfortable sitting around watching TV as much as they were two months ago when stay-at-home orders took effect. It doesn't really make much sense to dump it somewhere just for theaters to re-open in a couple weeks to a month and have them miss out on that money.

If anything, they could put it in theaters for a few weeks or months and then fast-track the digital release so that those who aren't comfortable going to a theater yet can still see it soonish.

Oh, absolutely. I think the ship has sailed on Disney launching Mulan on digital in some form. Things are beginning to re-open, and people probably aren't quite comfortable sitting around watching TV as much as they were two months ago when stay-at-home orders took effect. It doesn't really make much sense to dump it somewhere just for theaters to re-open in a couple weeks to a month and have them miss out on that money.

If anything, they could put it in theaters for a few weeks or months and then fast-track the digital release so that those who aren't comfortable going to a theater yet can still see it soonish.

Not to mention Hamilton is going to give them a mighty boost in subscriptions, so they can take the risk of Mulan in theaters. A movie theater ticket costs almost as much as what it would be to buy Mulan at home, and if they release it on D+ soon after, most people will wait like they did with Onward. They’d be far better off making profit in theaters than hoping people will watch it at home. I dont envision many people staying inside this summer, and if they are, they’ll probably be watching something that havent seen for months, sports

Does anyone know who currently has Maleficent for streaming? I'm talking about the first one, not the sequel. I know it's coming to D+ in October, but my daughter is wanting to watch it and I wasn't sure which platform it's on right now.

Does anyone know who currently has Maleficent for streaming? I'm talking about the first one, not the sequel. I know it's coming to D+ in October, but my daughter is wanting to watch it and I wasn't sure which platform it's on right now.

I don't think it's anywhere for free at the moment but you can rent on Prime, You-tube and I'm sure other platforms that rent movies.

Did you check to see if it's on any of the premium cable channels?

Yea I wans't shocked to hear it was getting bad reviews. Guessed when it was the only major release they were switching from the start to Disney+ they felt it was their weakest. STill plan to watch it, hopefully it's at least enjoyable enough to watch. For fans of teh series I jsut hope the viewing figures are good enough for them to still move forward with a sequel and try to fix the mistakes of this one with it.

Yea I wans't shocked to hear it was getting bad reviews. Guessed when it was the only major release they were switching from the start to Disney+ they felt it was their weakest. STill plan to watch it, hopefully it's at least enjoyable enough to watch. For fans of teh series I jsut hope the viewing figures are good enough for them to still move forward with a sequel and try to fix the mistakes of this one with it.

Yeah, I still plan to check it out though. I mean, I already hve D+ anyway and I had thought it looked cool from the first trailer. I've never read the books. Sometimes I think people can be way too harsh on these types of films - sure I'm not expecting it to be great, but it may still be enjoyable. I do think Disney knew it was tracking poorly, which is why it made the jump to D+ where other movies haven't. It's this years A Wrinkle in Time.

Yeah, I still plan to check it out though. I mean, I already hve D+ anyway and I had thought it looked cool from the first trailer. I've never read the books. Sometimes I think people can be way too harsh on these types of films - sure I'm not expecting it to be great, but it may still be enjoyable. I do think Disney knew it was tracking poorly, which is why it made the jump to D+ where other movies haven't. It's this years A Wrinkle in Time.

This is why I think it was a great move to move it to D+ .... While we may have seen it in the theaters just if looking for sometihng to do with the kids, definitely no guarantee - but we will definitely watch it on D+ and maybe it builds an audience and becomes like a recurring thing for D+ (sequels, etc.)

This is why I think it was a great move to move it to D+ .... While we may have seen it in the theaters just if looking for sometihng to do with the kids, definitely no guarantee - but we will definitely watch it on D+ and maybe it builds an audience and becomes like a recurring thing for D+ (sequels, etc.)

It's the type of thing too that could thrive as something with a lower budget. One of th issues thes4e days is that every sci-fi/fnatasy movie costs $200M+ and they can't really all get a good return on that. Tone it down a bit and you can get a good return on a movie that's pretty fun, if a little cheesy. I will watch this one tonight and chime in with my thoughts.

It's the type of thing too that could thrive as something with a lower budget. One of th issues thes4e days is that every sci-fi/fnatasy movie costs $200M+ and they can't really all get a good return on that. Tone it down a bit and you can get a good return on a movie that's pretty fun, if a little cheesy. I will watch this one tonight and chime in with my thoughts.

I've been saying that about Disney specifically for a while. Every movie doesn't need $150m budget. A number of their "bombs" haven't done horribly from a revenue standpoint but when they cost so much they need to make a ton to be profitable. You do moves for $50m instead and then it is easier to make a profit

I've been saying that about Disney specifically for a while. Every movie doesn't need $150m budget. A number of their "bombs" haven't done horribly from a revenue standpoint but when they cost so much they need to make a ton to be profitable. You do moves for $50m instead and then it is easier to make a profit

Exaactly. Not everything can be a mega-blockbuster. There are only so many movie-going dollars out there. It used to be one or two a year, but now Disney alone puts out so many. Sure, the MArvel movies have proven they can do it, but it doesn't leave much market-share for anything else. Scale it back and you can have some profitable hits on smaller budgets.

Yup. It's a bummer, but Disney is very clearly only looking for big, big profit on all of their film releases, so they basically shovel money toward the movie in hopes it will make it better or more palatable to the general audience. This can certainly work in CG-heavy movies like Marvel/Star Wars/Lion King, but it's not necessary for something like A Wrinkle in Time, The Nutcracker, etc. Sometimes movies end up better when there's some kind of constraint.

I'm actually a bit glad that they picked up Fox, as it will allow them to use the Disney brand for blockbusters, and can use Fox for mid- and low-budget films.

Yup. It's a bummer, but Disney is very clearly only looking for big, big profit on all of their film releases, so they basically shovel money toward the movie in hopes it will make it better or more palatable to the general audience. This can certainly work in CG-heavy movies like Marvel/Star Wars/Lion King, but it's not necessary for something like A Wrinkle in Time, The Nutcracker, etc. Sometimes movies end up better when there's some kind of constraint.

I'm actually a bit glad that they picked up Fox, as it will allow them to use the Disney brand for blockbusters, and can use Fox for mid- and low-budget films.

Honestly, I think that after the shutdown, only the big-budget stuff will even go to theaters. People will probably still think that paying for a MArvel or Star Wars on teh big screen is worth it, but smaller releases will go directly to VOD. They had great success with that with Trolls and Scoob! which are lower-tier animated projects. I think a lot of movies are going to go this way, and the 12 screen multiplexes will be pared down to a few of the biggest, best screens available for the big, showcase movies.

I don’t think the big budget software/hardware is all that necessary anymore or at least not for much longer.

Honestly, I like the look of the low(er) budget Mandalorian using Unreal Engine 4 more than the big budget Sequel Trilogy films using their in-house Renderman software.

I’m not sure how necessary some of the big budget software is going to be when Unreal Engine 5 is released. Not when they were able to recreate the Let it Go sequence from Frozen pretty close to perfect in Kingdom Hearts 3 on the PS4 using Unreal Engine 4. They also showed off an indie game yesterday (Kena) that looks better than a lot of the early Pixar / 3D films.

We’re pretty much at the point where you don’t need the most powerful computer or most expensive / versatile software to get really good results. I mean, why spend the $200+ million on Renderman when Unreal Engine 5 or some other software may very well be able to look just as good for much less?

I don’t think the big budget software/hardware is all that necessary anymore or at least not for much longer.

Honestly, I like the look of the low(er) budget Mandalorian using Unreal Engine 4 more than the big budget Sequel Trilogy films using their in-house Renderman software.

I’m not sure how necessary some of the big budget software is going to be when Unreal Engine 5 is released. Not when they were able to recreate the Let it Go sequence from Frozen pretty close to perfect in Kingdom Hearts 3 on the PS4 using Unreal Engine 4. They also showed off an indie game yesterday (Kena) that looks better than a lot of the early Pixar / 3D films.

We’re pretty much at the point where you don’t need the most powerful computer or most expensive / versatile software to get really good results. I mean, why spend the $200+ million on Renderman when Unreal Engine 5 or some other software may very well be able to look just as good for much less?
I think any films that are produced using something other than an in-house animation engine requires hefty licensing fees, and could potentially run the risk of trademark/copyright issues.

I think any films that are produced using something other than an in-house animation engine requires hefty licensing fees, and could potentially run the risk of trademark/copyright issues.

There is the issue of licensing fees, but Unreal is prebably much less expensive than developing an in-house software package. That said, Disney already has some really great software at their disposal for animation. This will be a boon for smaller studios and projects though.

not necessarily Disney+ news but

Tenant is moving back 2 weeks to July 31st, and WW84 moves to Oct 2nd.
So Mulan is slated to be the first blockbuster released in theaters, unless its moved back

not necessarily Disney+ news but

Tenant is moving back 2 weeks to July 31st, and WW84 moves to Oct 2nd.
So Mulan is slated to be the first blockbuster released in theaters, unless its moved back
there was a comment in the deadline article that mulan is ready to go when Disney is ready to go. It’s a matter of flipping a switch basically. The movie was fully ready to go right when the shut down happened. One of my friends got to see it at a D23 screening that happened the day of the shareholders meeting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!