Disney now charging handling fees for grocery deliveries

Am I in the minority thinking this is several years later than it should have been? This is simply a fee for the time it takes to load your packages and deliver them to your room. Is it an added cost yes, but reality is this is what happens when guests begin ordering more items to be delivered to resorts. Disney has to account for that added labor somehow. This is the best way to charge those who use the service vs charging everyone at the hotel.

Am I in the minority thinking this is several years later than it should have been? This is simply a fee for the time it takes to load your packages and deliver them to your room. Is it an added cost yes, but reality is this is what happens when guests begin ordering more items to be delivered to resorts. Disney has to account for that added labor somehow. This is the best way to charge those who use the service vs charging everyone at the hotel.
That is what the tip for bell services has been for, so this would mean that there would be no more need to tip bell services for these deliveries.

I could have missed something, but I believe the $6 is per delivery, not per package. One $6 charge to deliver however many bags arrive in that delivery.

We own at BCV and I can't remember Disney ever promising us or advertising free grocery delivery. I don't see current advertising saying as much, and even when I look at room amenities "being able to cook your own food" is not listed. I understand I'm arguing semantics, but Disney charging a fee to deal with grocery deliveries (a fee which you don't have to pay, there are alternatives) does not take away your ability to obtain and cook your own food.

Disney does have their own grocery delivery for DVC members, it is a $10 fee to use it. The list of items is fairly limited and I understand that, but they DO offer the service. The fees in the gift shops are comparable to what some pay from services that deliver. I'm putting together an order for my upcoming trip and a loaf of bread from Disney's gift shop is maybe 50 cents more than the one I'm having delivered.
It reads per package, not per delivery, but I have sent an email to Disney for confirmation, as well as if they are charging this fee for package delivery from the shops in the parks (again the way it reads it would) and if they are charging DVC members staying on points for this since it would be double dipping with the membership dues.

Yes, they charge enough to stay there, they don't need to nickel and dime, same goes for parking, etc.

We own at BCV and I can't remember Disney ever promising us or advertising free grocery delivery. I don't see current advertising saying as much, and even when I look at room amenities "being able to cook your own food" is not listed. I understand I'm arguing semantics, but Disney charging a fee to deal with grocery deliveries (a fee which you don't have to pay, there are alternatives) does not take away your ability to obtain and cook your own food.

The photos currently being used for marketing show a family cooking/eating breakfast in their DVC unit.

The photos currently being used for marketing show a family cooking/eating breakfast in their DVC unit.

Does the photo indicate they received free grocery delivery? There are alternatives to paying the $6 fee, and I still have yet to see any DVC advertisement that promises you free grocery delivery. As with any advertisement, the burden is on the buyer. I see plenty of advertisements for Disney parks where there are no crowds, no lines, front row for fireworks, every child is skipping and smiling. That doesn't mean I can reasonably expect Disney to provide me with that same experience (and at no additional cost as I realize some of the things in the commercial can be had for an upcharge).

It reads per package, not per delivery, but I have sent an email to Disney for confirmation, as well as if they are charging this fee for package delivery from the shops in the parks (again the way it reads it would) and if they are charging DVC members staying on points for this since it would be double dipping with the membership dues.

As an owner, I understand the concerns about double dipping and I don't disagree that it could be an issue. But, I'm guessing Disney has at least half as many attorneys as bean counters and has probably already considered that. I could also be naive but my annual dues statement says that my annual dues "go toward" the operating expenses, not that annual dues cover the operating expenses entirely. Except in the case of maybe OKW and SSR the hotel side and DVC side share a front desk, bell services, valet parking, and a number of other operating costs.

Last edited:

The only thing I've seen that reads "per package" is Disney's update to the existing package delivery service, not the issue of grocery delivery. Can you provide a link to what you're referencing, that reads "per package"? I don't doubt they'd try this, but the only thing I've seen referenced so far is the update from $5 to $6 for package delivery, which is not the same thing.

As an owner, I understand the concerns about double dipping and I don't disagree that it could be an issue. But, I'm guessing Disney has at least half as many attorneys as bean counters and has probably already considered that. I could also be naive but my annual dues statement says that my annual dues "go toward" the operating expenses, not that annual dues cover the operating expenses entirely. Except in the case of maybe OKW and SSR the hotel side and DVC side share a front desk, bell services, valet parking, and a number of other operating costs.
Even at the resorts with shared costs, your dues would still cover the entire cost of the DVC potion of these costs. And yes, the dues are supposed to cover all operating costs, that is why the fluctuate a bit at the end of the year compared to the projections at the beginning of the year. So, charging this fee is definitely double dipping.

The only thing I've seen that reads "per package" is Disney's update to the existing package delivery service, not the issue of grocery delivery. Can you provide a link to what you're referencing, that reads "per package"? I don't doubt they'd try this, but the only thing I've seen referenced so far is the update from $5 to $6 for package delivery, which is not the same thing.
It is right here:
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/mail-services/

Technically when you are receiving any of these grocery deliveries, you are getting something through a "mail service" of sorts, so Disney will apply the policy to all packages, which clearly states $6 per package.

This would also make it clear that the only way to avoid the fee is to meet the delivery person in the lobby, if that can be arranged, otherwise they are going to charge the fee.

Does the photo indicate they received free grocery delivery? There are alternatives to paying the $6 fee, and I still have yet to see any DVC advertisement that promises you free grocery delivery. As with any advertisement, the burden is on the buyer. I see plenty of advertisements for Disney parks where there are no crowds, no lines, front row for fireworks, every child is skipping and smiling. That doesn't mean I can reasonable expect Disney to provide me with that same experience (and at no additional cost as I realize some of the things in the commercial can be had for an upcharge).
Actually, I would disagree, as that has been one of the key selling points that Disney has used for years with DVC was that you could get groceries delivered to your room with no additional delivery charges. Many sales reps have said this and I believe if you read through the contract it might even say this, I haven't dug mine out to read it yet, because honestly, I don't plan on receiving packages on this next trip, but eventually I will.

Not to discount anything here (as DVC is likely to appropriately manage to avoid the double dipping because of auditing that goes on at the state level and independent auditors, on what I assume are breakage rentals) however your dues do cover entirely the operation costs of the DVC resort. When DVC is at a hotel with a cash side the entire costs for resort operation are split based on a strict formula that is based on assumed occupancy rates and square footage.

Last edited:
It is right here:

Technically when you are receiving any of these grocery deliveries, you are getting something through a "mail service" of sorts, so Disney will apply the policy to all packages, which clearly states $6 per package.

This would also make it clear that the only way to avoid the fee is to meet the delivery person in the lobby, if that can be arranged, otherwise they are going to charge the fee.
This actually has nothing to do with Grocery Delivery and the DIS has been wrong to report it as such. See my quote below that shows this. The rumor/story got started when Garden Grocer reported being told by Disney their customers would have to pay $6 for Bell Services delivering to the room for an order (and they specified it was per order not per bag). They also stated that if you picked it up at bell services yourself there would be no charge. As of yet Disney actually hasn't even made an announcement or provided any indications anything is changing in relation to Grocery Delivery.
I don’t mean to say that this isn’t indicative but that is the exact wording on that site for a long time. The only thing that changed is the fee that charged from $5 to $6. So personally I don’t read much into how groceries would be handled from that language because they were always treated differently and could possibly continue to be treated differently (charged only for in room delivery by bell services as rumored)

It has been a package received was charged the $5 per package no matter what: delivered to room or just the front desk.

Here is a cached version of the site on 3/27

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...d.disney.go.com/guest-services/mail-services/

And from January 2018

http://web.archive.org/web/20180109...d.disney.go.com/guest-services/mail-services/

Edit: The DIS’s post is incorrect because package receiving isn’t $5 anymore it is now $6 per the change on Disney’s site and reported elsewhere. I should also note the post says if you pick up groceries from bell services you won’t be charged the fee according to the DIS.

This actually has nothing to do with Grocery Delivery and the DIS has been wrong to report it as such. See my quote below that shows this. The rumor/story got started when Garden Grocer reported being told by Disney their customers would have to pay $6 for Bell Services delivering to the room for an order (and they specified it was per order not per bag). They also stated that if you picked it up at bell services yourself there would be no charge. As of yet Disney actually hasn't even made an announcement or provided any indications anything is changing in relation to Grocery Delivery.
Well, then this is a rumor and not actually confirmed? Why is everyone reporting it as confirmed then? I would assume there was something official from Disney in writing if it is confirmed.

I mean if its about the labor of the worker holding on to those items and the money is going to go to that person then yea sure I'm for it. But unless this is going to a raise for Disney Employees it just seems like a cash grab because Disney lol

Actually, I would disagree, as that has been one of the key selling points that Disney has used for years with DVC was that you could get groceries delivered to your room with no additional delivery charges. Many sales reps have said this and I believe if you read through the contract it might even say this, I haven't dug mine out to read it yet, because honestly, I don't plan on receiving packages on this next trip, but eventually I will.

Disney does not even directly offer free grocery delivery from the resort gift shop to the room, it’s $10 (how is that then not double dipping?) so I find it hard to believe they pitch free grocery delivery at all but I’ll entertain it as I’m not privy to every sales pitch they have.

We personally did not receive that as part of our sales pitch but we’ve owned for a very long time, so I’m sure the pitch has changed over time. As I’ve said (and many others have said), the $6 is not a requirement- you can avoid paying this using any number of means that have been discussed already.

What you cite above has nothing to do with grocery delivery, and instead with package delivery, which has been charged to DVC members (my father had a pair of shoes sent via Amazon Prime- NOT APN- and there was a $5 charge for that, last August, while we stayed at BCV on points). Disney has not released a single word officially on the website or otherwise concerning the grocery delivery fee (now, I have seen CMs weigh in and say it’s real, and I’m sure soon enough guests will comment and some have called/ emailed/ chatted and received confirmation but the link provided does not pertain to grocery delivery and is inconsistent with what others are reporting.

It is right here:

Garden Grocer, Dizzy Dolphin, Instacart, and Amazon Prime Now are not mail services. They do not go to the front desk, they go to Bell Services. The link references mail packages to the front desk and that is not handled the same as groceries.

Disney does not even directly offer free grocery delivery from the resort gift shop to the room, it’s $10 (how is that then not double dipping?) so I find it hard to believe they pitch free grocery delivery at all but I’ll entertain it as I’m not privy to every sales pitch they have.
I would say this isn't even a concern on double-dipping because we don't cover the costs of the gift shop, it sits outside the operational costs of the resort. Whereas there is a line item on the dues for Bell Services. I think that is @cmwade77 concern. We cover their salaries and infrastructure cost through the dues; though likely we will get some offset for the fees being collected, effectively transferring the cost of this service to those that require it away from a communal cost. We don't cover the gifts shop so it is similar to us ordering from Garden Grocer and paying their delivery charge.

Actually they did pitch the resort's grocery delivery to me when I bought. Though they implied it was free (I never looked into it because I don't intend on eating in the room), but you confirmed it isn't. I just assume it would be wildly overpriced no matter what.

What you cite above has nothing to do with grocery delivery, and instead with package delivery, which has been charged to DVC members (my father had a pair of shoes sent via Amazon Prime- NOT APN- and there was a $5 charge for that, last August, while we stayed at BCV on points). Disney has not released a single word officially on the website or otherwise concerning the grocery delivery fee (now, I have seen CMs weigh in and say it’s real, and I’m sure soon enough guests will comment and some have called/ emailed/ chatted and received confirmation but the link provided does not pertain to grocery delivery and is inconsistent with what others are reporting.
If that is indeed the case, how do we indeed think it is real? This is nothing more than a rumor until Disney confirms it to be true in writing on one of their sites or via a press release.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter