Disney now charging handling fees for grocery deliveries

I would like to point out this has been on their site for years and is related to Mail Delivery done through the front desk (not bell services). Though I’m sure an update to the site is forthcoming related to the grocery services. It took a month or two to even reference that BC/YC had cabanas so I’m sure this will take a while too.

But that site alone doesn’t imply any change since itself hasn’t changed. So far it’s been the grocery delivery companies reporting it, which I do agree would be pretty reliable on this front.

If that is indeed the case, how do we indeed think it is real? This is nothing more than a rumor until Disney confirms it to be true in writing on one of their sites or via a press release.

Seems real enough when CMs have reported that it is the case, grocery delivery services have reported that it is the case, posters have emailed/ chatted/ called and been told it is the case. A handful of news sources have been cited by moderators here. I’m not sure we’ll get any current guest updates (possibly until current guests check out and see it on their folio).

There have been handfuls or policy changes that Disney has not reported or updated on their website so I can’t use that as the barometer. Even the policies that are listed on the site can be vague and/ or inconsistently enforced.

I would like to point out this has been on their site for years and is related to Mail Delivery done through the front desk (not bell services). Though I’m sure an update to the site is forthcoming related to the grocery services. It took a month or two to even reference that BC/YC had cabanas so I’m sure this will take a while too.

But that site alone doesn’t imply any change since itself hasn’t changed. So far it’s been the grocery delivery companies reporting it, which I do agree would be pretty reliable on this front.
Wasn’t the price before $5 though? So they have updated the pricing at least.

Wasn’t the price before $5 though? So they have updated the pricing at least.
That is true yeah the only thing that updated was the pricing. Which is in line with the reported grocery cost. Though the site itself contradicts what the grocery delivery companies says how the fees will work and my personal experience with calling the resort. They told me it was for the entire order (not a per bag price) and wouldn’t be charged if I picked it up at bell services (though the latter part people have gotten conflicting answers on from GS but I went to the resort I stay at directly). I’m sure it will be inconsistently applied for a couple months and at that point the true cost and operation will be known.

Not to discount anything here (as DVC is likely to appropriately manage to avoid the double dipping because of auditing that goes on at the state level and independent auditors, on what I assume are breakage rentals) however your dues do cover entirely the operation costs of the DVC resort. When DVC is at a hotel with a cash side the entire costs for resort operation are split based on a strict formula that is based on assumed occupancy rates and square footage.

I would say this isn't even a concern on double-dipping because we don't cover the costs of the gift shop, it sits outside the operational costs of the resort. Whereas there is a line item on the dues for Bell Services. I think that is @cmwade77 concern. We cover their salaries and infrastructure cost through the dues; though likely we will get some offset for the fees being collected, effectively transferring the cost of this service to those that require it away from a communal cost. We don't cover the gifts shop so it is similar to us ordering from Garden Grocer and paying their delivery charge.

Actually they did pitch the resort's grocery delivery to me when I bought. Though they implied it was free (I never looked into it because I don't intend on eating in the room), but you confirmed it isn't. I just assume it would be wildly overpriced no matter what.

That does help clarify the double dipping concern, thanks. I can't understand how the same Bell Services delivering groceries from the gift shop for a $10 charge is not double dipping, but charging a $6 fee for outside grocery deliveries could be double dipping. Perhaps the $10 "service charge" as it's listed on the form pertains to the cost for the CM who shops for the order in the 2 foot section of groceries in the gift shop and puts together the order and not for the Bell Services CM who delivers it. If that is the case, it kind of makes sense. I don't want to gum up this thread with DVC concerns though, so I'm willing to leave that clear as mud for now.

Grocery delivery from the gift shop may very well have been free at one point. I'm not sure, as we never used it. We did not receive any info about grocery delivery during our sales pitch but clearly every sales pitch tries a different angle to get the job done.

Well, if it is an official policy, it must be written somewhere on their site at least, so I am going to say once again, where is the proof?

Where is the written policy for a lot of things at Disney? Where is the policy that states that all members of your party must be on your ADR? There isn't one, but if you show up with extra people you run the risk of being turned away or kept waiting well beyond your ADR time. Where is the policy that says you have 15 extra minutes to use a FP? There isn't one, but people frequently cite it just the same and we all know that under normal circumstances that FP will be honored for 15 minutes past the window. Policies work both ways. Disney never had a written policy that stated grocery delivery was available at no additional charge, so no, they don't have to make an official policy or press release available to anyone.

That is true yeah the only thing that updated was the pricing. Which is in line with the reported grocery cost. Though the site itself contradicts what the grocery delivery companies says how the fees will work and my personal experience with calling the resort. They told me it was for the entire order (not a per bag price) and wouldn’t be charged if I picked it up at bell services (though the latter part people have gotten conflicting answers on from GS but I went to the resort I stay at directly). I’m sure it will be inconsistently applied for a couple months and at that point the true cost and operation will be known.

Amazon Prime Pantry sent my order in 2 boxes and was charged $5 per box in January.

Amazon Prime Pantry sent my order in 2 boxes and was charged $5 per box in January.
Mail packages throught the front desk have always been treated that way (Amazon Prime Pantry included, which is why we use Amazon Prime Now- I don't even pretend to know why they're handled differently other than one is a shopper who delivers directly and the other is more like a boxed shipment but maybe someone else can jump in for that).

The "per piece" issue above is for grocery deliveries where a driver goes to the store, shops, and brings you the items (I believe Amazon Prime Pantry loads it into shipments and ships it, they do not have the shopper deliver it in person). Some grocery orders done this way can be 5-6 bags and the concern has been whether or not that is going to result in a $6 per bag charge (in which case, we don't control how many items the shopper puts in one bag so that can get pretty spendy even for a few items especially if they need sorting into separate bags for refrigeration/ freezing). All signs so far point to this fee being per order, (and seems to be confirmed by @crvetter) while shipments will remain as a per-package cost.

Seems real enough when CMs have reported that it is the case, grocery delivery services have reported that it is the case, posters have emailed/ chatted/ called and been told it is the case. A handful of news sources have been cited by moderators here. I’m not sure we’ll get any current guest updates (possibly until current guests check out and see it on their folio).

There have been handfuls or policy changes that Disney has not reported or updated on their website so I can’t use that as the barometer. Even the policies that are listed on the site can be vague and/ or inconsistently enforced.
If it isn't written, I would not agree to pay it, sorry, but you have to tell me up front that it is the policy before I order and do it in writing. Sorry, but how would anyone know about it if it isn't written and they order through Prime Now (which also hasn't been charged the per package fee)?

As I said previously, I have emailed Disney and asked and will let you know when I hear back, but IF this is true, it is nothing more than a cash grab and people need to fight back against it.

Last edited:
That does help clarify the double dipping concern, thanks. I can't understand how the same Bell Services delivering groceries from the gift shop for a $10 charge is not double dipping, but charging a $6 fee for outside grocery deliveries could be double dipping. Perhaps the $10 "service charge" as it's listed on the form pertains to the cost for the CM who shops for the order in the 2 foot section of groceries in the gift shop and puts together the order and not for the Bell Services CM who delivers it. If that is the case, it kind of makes sense. I don't want to gum up this thread with DVC concerns though, so I'm willing to leave that clear as mud for now.

Grocery delivery from the gift shop may very well have been free at one point. I'm not sure, as we never used it. We did not receive any info about grocery delivery during our sales pitch but clearly every sales pitch tries a different angle to get the job done.

Where is the written policy for a lot of things at Disney? Where is the policy that states that all members of your party must be on your ADR? There isn't one, but if you show up with extra people you run the risk of being turned away or kept waiting well beyond your ADR time. Where is the policy that says you have 15 extra minutes to use a FP? There isn't one, but people frequently cite it just the same and we all know that under normal circumstances that FP will be honored for 15 minutes past the window. Policies work both ways. Disney never had a written policy that stated grocery delivery was available at no additional charge, so no, they don't have to make an official policy or press release available to anyone.
Because it isn't bell services that charges the $10, it is Disney Florist that charges the $10 and they are not run by the resorts.

Tangential question arising from the story: I have a split stay approaching. Based on all of my prior reading, I was under the impression that I would check out of my first resort, and bell services at the resort would arrange transportation of my luggage to the second resort. Obviously I would tip at both ends of the exchange, but will the new fee impact luggage transfers as well as package deliveries?

Tangential question arising from the story: I have a split stay approaching. Based on all of my prior reading, I was under the impression that I would check out of my first resort, and bell services at the resort would arrange transportation of my luggage to the second resort. Obviously I would tip at both ends of the exchange, but will the new fee impact luggage transfers as well as package deliveries?
If the wording of the article is correct, it would appear so.

High-end resorts usually have the highest and most frequent fees for services. Low-cost resorts usually have lower or no fees.
But historically Disney has not charged such fees, additionally, at most high end resorts it is easy enough to get them to waive such fees, especially if you visit that chain frequently. Since most.on these boards would be considered frequent visitors to Disney Resorts, they should theoretixtheo be able to get these fees waived. Especially DVC members, as they are definitely frequent visitors.

But historically Disney has not charged such fees, additionally, at most high end resorts it is easy enough to get them to waive such fees, especially if you visit that chain frequently. Since most.on these boards would be considered frequent visitors to Disney Resorts, they should theoretixtheo be able to get these fees waived. Especially DVC members, as they are definitely frequent visitors.
Historically Disney hasn't had to deal with as many packages being delivered but its becoming more and more frequent.

Historically Disney hasn't had to deal with as many packages being delivered but its becoming more and more frequent.
And your point is? That shouldn't matter, they have enough money they can afford the staffing to do so without charging extra. Additionally, they could lower food prices to more reasonable and reduce the number of packages that are being sent to the resorts. In other words they cause the issues themselves, why should the guests be responsible for what they have done?

And your point is? That shouldn't matter, they have enough money they can afford the staffing to do so without charging extra. Additionally, they could lower food prices to more reasonable and reduce the number of packages that are being sent to the resorts. In other words they cause the issues themselves, why should the guests be responsible for what they have done?
Supply and demand. Not every guest gets items shipped but more guests are. Its not just food but any item Why would Disney lower food prices when they don't need too? Not everyone buying their food is staying on property. There isn't a direct correlation between food pricing and this added fee.

Supply and demand. Not every guest gets items shipped but more guests are. Its not just food but any item Why would Disney lower food prices when they don't need too? Not everyone buying their food is staying on property. There isn't a direct correlation between food pricing and this added fee.
I would disagree, there is a direct correlation. The increase in packages being delivered is a direct result of the higher food prices.

I would disagree, there is a direct correlation. The increase in packages being delivered is a direct result of the higher food prices.
What about the fact that it’s way easier to get items delivered? Amazon Prime didn’t exist a decade ago. It’s so easy for people to order anything now. I’d have to imagine if it was this easy years ago it would have also been just as popular to get items delivered. People and society changes as time goes on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter