Disney Offers Unions $15/Hr. by 2021

LOL! Very true. This will just give them an excuse for the already planned for incrase.

yeah, I know - just giving you a hard time. I used to be in the camp of "well, you can't scream that the CMs should be better paid and then cry out complaining after they increase prices" - but I have come around that prices are going to go up no matter and I would rather it be for the CMs getting more $ than for pure profits to the executives or shareholders - and I say this as a shareholder as I think top flight CMs who love what they do and want to be there for the long term increase the value of the parks and thus the stock

Businesses come up with creative ways to just CUT staff when forced/pressured to increase wages.

Fast Food employees have been asking for $15/hour wages --- the McDonald's in my city all now have "quick order" kiosks that you can just order your food yourself with dealing with a cashier. That plus the push for mobile ordering is going to allow restaurants to staff less cash register people (heck .. at my fast food restaurants anymore you are lucky to have more than one person taking orders).

Eventually fast food will just be 100% self-serve ordering .. basically cutting 1-2 staff members permanently.

Disney will just find ways to cut staff .. I mean . they probably already are with complaints about not running rides at capacity and their push for mobile ordering as well.

Hopefully they wont be so protected by unions that the quality of customer service goes down. Places like Six Flags and Carowinds have such horrible interaction between the employee and customer due to it being high school kids who care less. Hopefully unions wont bleed that into Disney

Long overdue. I have met many cast members who share how its a good thing their spouse works somewhere else, as they could not live on what they make at their WDW job. I don't want to think about how cast members make ends meet, while I'm on vacation living it up.

We need more living wage jobs imho.

update: salary increase or no, a price increase is coming ;)

At Disney, price increases are an annual tradition.

Businesses come up with creative ways to just CUT staff when forced/pressured to increase wages.

Fast Food employees have been asking for $15/hour wages --- the McDonald's in my city all now have "quick order" kiosks that you can just order your food yourself with dealing with a cashier. That plus the push for mobile ordering is going to allow restaurants to staff less cash register people (heck .. at my fast food restaurants anymore you are lucky to have more than one person taking orders).

Eventually fast food will just be 100% self-serve ordering .. basically cutting 1-2 staff members permanently.

Disney will just find ways to cut staff .. I mean . they probably already are with complaints about not running rides at capacity and their push for mobile ordering as well.

Now, if McDonald's could make their Kiosks easier to figure out...and maybe fix a few issues with Mobile Ordering.

They deserve way more it’s not like Disney doesn’t make a lot of money. Pay your employees a fair wage and most will work harder, these change over if staff means less training costs. I could go on and on and on.

I am so frustrated with big businesses and how they don’t share the wealth. Okay other then a few Costco is a good example.

Honestly if my dividend was $1 less which is probably what it would be if Disney paid them $15 now. I think we could all manage that for workers to have a fair wage.

Don’t be fooled by the article. Yes Disney did offer the raise but, it’s at the cost of pretty much everything the union has fought for and, those changes go into affect before the raise is implemented at year three. Disney is getting rid of same day overtime, no 6th work day overtime, no 7th day double time, no obligation for a cm to have a union representative there during disciplinary action, Disney can force transfer any union rep out of a location at any time for no reason, no set schedules for cms, make union membership unpaid, and much more. There’s a lot more at stake than the raise if it’s ratified. Disney essentially would be starting the process of dismantling the unions especially if they make it where the union isn’t getting any funding from memvership. The unions are the only ones keeping Disney from replacing all front line jobs with college program or, foreign culteral reps.

Businesses come up with creative ways to just CUT staff ...

You could have stopped here... yes Businesses hate forced/pressured wage increases... but they are always looking at ways to cut staff and run more efficiently. Automation, for the fast food industry, has been talked about for years and was always coming. Maybe it came about a bit faster due to the wage increases.. but it was coming anyway.

Disney is getting rid of same day overtime, no 6th work day overtime, no 7th day double time, no obligation for a cm to have a union representative there during disciplinary action, Disney can force transfer any union rep out of a location at any time for no reason, no set schedules for cms, make union membership unpaid, and much more.
I don't believe Disney can do these things unilaterally under the current contract. I think these are Disney's negotiation points for the union's consideration. Which is more valuable, wages or work rules? Ultimately it comes down to what appears to have the most value to Disney and the workers.

They deserve way more it’s not like Disney doesn’t make a lot of money. Pay your employees a fair wage and most will work harder, these change over if staff means less training costs. I could go on and on and on.

I am so frustrated with big businesses and how they don’t share the wealth. Okay other then a few Costco is a good example.

Honestly if my dividend was $1 less which is probably what it would be if Disney paid them $15 now. I think we could all manage that for workers to have a fair wage.

I don't know if they necessarily work harder simply because they are paid better, but better wages make it easier to attract employees who work hard and are good at their jobs.

Don’t be fooled by the article. Yes Disney did offer the raise but, it’s at the cost of pretty much everything the union has fought for and, those changes go into affect before the raise is implemented at year three. Disney is getting rid of same day overtime, no 6th work day overtime, no 7th day double time, no obligation for a cm to have a union representative there during disciplinary action, Disney can force transfer any union rep out of a location at any time for no reason, no set schedules for cms, make union membership unpaid, and much more. There’s a lot more at stake than the raise if it’s ratified. Disney essentially would be starting the process of dismantling the unions especially if they make it where the union isn’t getting any funding from memvership. The unions are the only ones keeping Disney from replacing all front line jobs with college program or, foreign culteral reps.

Ouch! So, basically CMs will have no overtime or workplace protections and without set schedules, it will be almost impossible to have a second job. If I were the union, I would flatly reject this "offer".

I don't know if they necessarily work harder simply because they are paid better, but better wages make it easier to attract employees who work hard and are good at their jobs.

The other thing I think higher wages can do is help retain employees and less turnover and ability to keep those performing the best should (in theory) result in better, more experienced CMs being in the parks and thus a better experience for guests

Ouch! So, basically CMs will have no overtime or workplace protections and without set schedules, it will be almost impossible to have a second job. If I were the union, I would flatly reject this "offer".

Well, as @OKW Lover pointed out, this is the current offer from Disney - I would think there would be some negotiations around this. Theoretically if they are paid more they would *need* overtime less, so maybe they compromise a bit there, but try to keep some of the other things. Hopefully they don't give in on too many of the things like having union reps at disciplinary hearings, etc. - sometimes those seem easy to give in on at the time as it doesn't impact $, but is one of those things after the fact people wish they hadn't given in on and is hard to get back

Theoretically if they are paid more they would *need* overtime less, so maybe they compromise a bit there, but try to keep some of the other things.

In my experience, if you eliminate, reduce or manipulate OT regulations, you effectively dilute the salary ($/hr) and drive it down by adding hours. It's not a desirable scenario, in my opinion, because you are stretching the resources you have and often can lead to employee burn out.

In my experience, if you eliminate, reduce or manipulate OT regulations, you effectively dilute the salary ($/hr) and drive it down by adding hours. It's not a desirable scenario, in my opinion, because you are stretching the resources you have and often can lead to employee burn out.

Oh yeah, I agree and something the union should watch out for - I wasn't thinking that now they have to work more hours at non-OT rates, more that they wouldn't need to work extra hours to make the same $ (so can get same $ in less hours) if the pay goes up ... so perhaps they give in a bit on the optional OT type things, not that they agree to having to work more hours and now just at the base rate

I'm sure this is just a negotiation point, not an all or nothing offer. No doubt the parties can decide that some of these things are worth it and search for a compromise that makes both parties feel like a winner (or looser).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter