Disney on school breaks

Liam518

Earning My Ears
Me and my wife enjoy taking my daughter to DW in the off season, (early February). The thing is she starts school this fall and we will start having to plan around school breaks. My question is, do the parks get that much more crowded, and are there any school breaks that tend to be a little less crowded then the next? Was thinking we’d probably plan around winter break (presidents day week) to get away from the cold, but wasn’t sure if everyone else has the same idea.

I realize that crowds are part of the “package” when you decide to do Disney, but I’m hoping to avoid the “worst” of them if possible.

Thanks

All will be busy. My kids are older, one of my regrets is not takin* them out of school more for vacations when they were little. Not only is it hard in HS, but with sports, there are very few weeks for vacations.

All will be busy. My kids are older, one of my regrets is not takin* them out of school more for vacations when they were little. Not only is it hard in HS, but with sports, there are very few weeks for vacations.

We were discussing taking her out for trips, especially in the younger years, but wasn’t sure how the teachers/school would react to missing days for Disney lol.

We were discussing taking her out for trips, especially in the younger years, but wasn’t sure how the teachers/school would react to missing days for Disney lol.

Probably depends on where you live, but since my neighbor just took his elementary schooler out for at least a week, I would say it's not a huge issue.

I would say in the K-3 years it's not the end of the world (depending on your kid's ability to adapt). And I live in a state where kindergarten isn't mandatory....so I wouldn't blink twice about pulling a kid out of school in kindergarten.

We pulled our kids out of school only when they were in grade school. A lot of parents did. Once our oldest was in middle school, we did end up pulling them out for 2 days over President's Week in Feb 2017. This year it's only for one day. Next time we are thinking of maybe Spring Break because our school gives us a week and a day.

In regards to the idea of taking a vacation during the school year, Disney has a surprising amount of educational opportunities especially in Epcot and Animal Kingdom. I know few people think "we're going to Disney to learn!" but, I can easily see an early elementary age child learning a lot more about animals, nature, science and different cultures in a week at Disney vs a week in a classroom.

The best school break will be spring break, because not all school are out on the same week, unlike christmas and all other schools breaks. You can have a bliss on spring break week specially if it doesn’t coincide with Orlando Spring Break.

Me and my wife enjoy taking my daughter to DW in the off season, (early February). The thing is she starts school this fall and we will start having to plan around school breaks. My question is, do the parks get that much more crowded, and are there any school breaks that tend to be a little less crowded then the next? Was thinking we’d probably plan around winter break (presidents day week) to get away from the cold, but wasn’t sure if everyone else has the same idea.

I realize that crowds are part of the “package” when you decide to do Disney, but I’m hoping to avoid the “worst” of them if possible.

Thanks

Not sure where you're at but in ATL we have "fall break" and that's probably the least crowded school break but it's still pretty crowded because, well, ATL has "fall break" and we all drive to Disney because frankly if it's going to be 90 and humid we may as well enjoy it with The Mouse. Feb break used to be less crowded when we started going but at this point it's pretty nuts too. We're still going though because if you're smart and use FP and ADRs the crowds aren't that big of a deal and as you say, getting out of the "cold" (I say cold, you maybe say 50 degrees sound delightful) is a real draw for us. And I'm not willing to take my kids out of school to go to Disney when we live close enough to go as much as we want.

Just wanted to add that there really is no slow time at WDW anymore. I've noticed over the last twenty some years that crowds can be considerable even when school is in session. We have went the second week of December forever. Back in the "90's" lines really did not exist but in the last few years we have noticed that our slow week is no longer. I wouldn't worry about it and plan the time that best fits your schedules.

When Gwen was very young I just took her out of school for the week. The worst thing she had to do was do her homework for the week on the road and do a report on Disney when she ot back.

We just got back from Disney. Our oldest is in 3rd grade. She was to miss 6 days but ended up only missing 3 due to snow days. Anyways I just told her teacher ahead of time that she would be gone for vacation and that I would work with her in any way to make sure she did not fall behind.

In my experience, any time when most schools are out at the same time is going to be a lot busier. Even those 3 day weekends like President's Day or Columbus Day are more crowded. We have pulled our kids out of school and gone at completely random times and it has been great. My oldest is now in middle school and sports so it's just too difficult to go during the school year. We went early June last year and while it was HOT, I found it to be less crowded than trying to go during any school break. Spring Break can be hit or miss and it depends on where yours falls. If it's the week before or after Easter, it's going to be the most crowded.

Thanks

Been to WDW for most of the major holidays and it really didn't seem overbearingly crowded to me but keep in mind I'm from an area known for congestion so my idea of crowded may differ from others.
We will go on our first spring break Disney vac in April. DGD will have 2 days off dedicated to doing homework, one before we leave, the other after we come back. This will allow us a 6 night trip of fun in the sun with no school days missed.

Last edited:
Are you opposed to going in summer?

Presidents week is very busy. Christmas week as busy as it gets, Easter week very busy.

There seem to be a lot of people on here who work around school schedules and prefer summer over major breaks during the year from a crowd perspective. Maybe some of them will chime in here! We are pulling our oldest out next year for a February trip (she’s 4) but that’s probably the only time we are planning to. Then we will start going in summer.

We like to leave as soon as school gets out for the summer, which is before Memorial Day for us. A lot of schools are out by then, but a lot of places are also still in school at that time.

We took our kids out of school a few times for trips with no issues, until missing school and instruction became a problem for our oldest. He said he would rather stay home than have to make up all of the work, so we stopped--he is a senior this year and still doesn't want to miss any school.

We pulled preschool through middle school. Sooooooo worth it. We always simply told the teachers they would be out during these dates. Never tried to hid the destination but didn’t really shout it out either. Never an issue. We stopped before high school.

I definitely don’t have a problem pulling kids out, but I don’t think the crowd level is that much better no matter when you go. Mid Sept was still ok last time we went 2 years ago & summer is better than the other breaks but so hot. We just went Thanksgiving week last yr & it was manageable.

Are you opposed to going in summer?

Presidents week is very busy. Christmas week as busy as it gets, Easter week very busy.

There seem to be a lot of people on here who work around school schedules and prefer summer over major breaks during the year from a crowd perspective. Maybe some of them will chime in here! We are pulling our oldest out next year for a February trip (she’s 4) but that’s probably the only time we are planning to. Then we will start going in summer.

I think I’d rather deal with the crowds then the heat. Lol

Just wanted to add that there really is no slow time at WDW anymore. I've noticed over the last twenty some years that crowds can be considerable even when school is in session. We have went the second week of December forever. Back in the "90's" lines really did not exist but in the last few years we have noticed that our slow week is no longer. I wouldn't worry about it and plan the time that best fits your schedules.
I agree 100%. We go when we want now & not chasing the elusive low crowd period has made us a lot more satisfied with our trips.

They don't really get a say, lol. (At least not where we live where Kindergarten isn't even mandatory). We took our kids out last Feb (K and Grade 2) for our first trip and the crowds were manageable. It was our first trip, so I can't say for sure how bad they were having nothing to compare it to. The park felt full absolutely, but when I think about it, the crowds weren't CRUSHING (except for when the parade was over and everyone was trying to get off the parade route, then we felt it. Shoulder to shoulder with everyone, it was nuts. But overall, the crowds were not insane at all. I think if your kids can handle being taken out academically (and if you are talking Kindergarten then she'll be fine) then try to go when crowds will be less. Because they are less at certain times for sure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter