Disney pulling all content from Netflix, launching own streaming service

People pay for the horrible "movie" channel HBO simply for episodic shows like Game of Thrones.
Without the extra content, people wouldn't pay for HBO because streaming is a better service. I don't get HBO anymore honestly (for movies) .. they have one or two new movies a month and tons of VERY old movies you've probably seen a dozen times already.

The service probably will take off. Streaming Disney content will be a huge hit for the fans. If I could stream EVERY Disney/Star Wars/Marvel DVD I currently have sitting on my shelf? I would ditch them all in an instant (to declutter) and just watch them there when I want .. because .. let's be honest .. a lot of us buy movies for the "collection" rather than spending the time to rewatch them later (not counting the movies the kids get hooked on and want to watch every day).
This is exactly what I'm talking about. You're not waiting for the "extra content." You're subscribing for the existing content. I'm expecting most people to be like you and not need the extra content to get them to sign up.

I find this part the most puzzling. Why add the expense of producing extra content? If people won't subscribe for the existing catalog, the exclusive content won't push them over the edge.

This is an added expense with no return - in my opinion.

Not sure - we have Netflix largely for the original content. Not entirely but I would say that is the number never 1 reason for us

Not sure - we have Netflix largely for the original content. Not entirely but I would say that is the number never 1 reason for us
Netflix is not a direct comparison to this Disney service. Disney's service will be all exclusive content to begin with. It does start out as old exclusive content, but there will be new stuff added from their other mediums.

Think of it this way: Would you refuse to sign up for Disney's service unless they have no new exclusive content? If the answer is "yes," how many other people do you think are like you? Is it enough subscriptions to pay for producing exclusive content?

If it's enough subscriptions, then it makes sense. I would be surprised if it was.

Netflix is not a direct comparison to this Disney service. Disney's service will be all exclusive content to begin with. It does start out as old exclusive content, but there will be new stuff added from their other mediums.

Think of it this way: Would you refuse to sign up for Disney's service unless they have no new exclusive content? If the answer is "yes," how many other people do you think are like you? Is it enough subscriptions to pay for producing exclusive content?

If it's enough subscriptions, then it makes sense. I would be surprised if it was.

It would partly depend on the price point. Netflix works for us as it is $10 and has some classics, bunch of kids stuff and the new content ... if Disney is only old things not sure I would pay $10/month for it

Firstly I'm thrilled that Star Wars and Marvel won't be staying on Netflix. If I was Disney I would be as protective as I could be with my content and only show it on my own service.

I'm not sure investing in million $ exclusive content like Netflix are doing would be the best move for Disney. Certainly make exclusive content like a weekly muppets show but just don't plow too much money into exclusive content because although Netflix are currently, it's not going to pay off for them in the long run.

Where they could get people buyingis in an exclusivity window like they do currently with their movie releases. Digital versions are usually out a week or 2 earlier than the DVD or Blu-Ray. If I was Disney, I would snub Apple and make the Disney streaming service the ONLY place to watch content first.

As well as on demand content. I want channels. As well as live streaming of Disney Chanel, Disney XD and Disney Junior, I want a 24/7 classic tunes channel. If they could add the back catalogue of all those vault Mickey, Pluto cartoons ect, that would easily make it a $20 service for me rather than a $10 service.

A theme parks chanel would also be awesome. It I think that's more of a wish. Live streaming of D23 events.

It seems from Bob Igors recent comments that they are throwing everything including the kitchen sink into this service and the ESPN service and I think these will be the last great thing to be done under Igor to push the company forward

People pay for the horrib

le "movie" channel HBO simply for episodic shows like Game of Thrones.

And how many people simply torrent episodes of GoT instead of subscribing? The answer is: More than any other show.... *ever*. And that doesn't include the number of people who share log-in information. A lot of people already have netflix. Having Disney on there helps justify it, and Disney gets paid a pretty penny by Netflix in order to have that catalog. Fast forward to 2019 (which is INCREDIBLY late in the streaming game). Now your telling me I need to pay another $10-$20 per month just for marvel, star wars, and disney/pixar movies? Hmmm. With 1 star wars movie per year, about 3 marvel movies per year, and 2-3 Disney animated movies per year, I could buy and own the blurays of every single on eof those movies for the same cost as subscribing to a $10 service and for half the cost of subscribing to a $20 service.

Or, I could do what hundreds of thousands of others do, and simply download those movies and not give Disney a dime. See, before, at least they were getting paid by Netflix to host their content. Now it's all or nothing.

And they aren't the first and won't be the last to think they can start their own streaming service. As cable subscribers flee, it seems every network things they can spin up their own app. So instead of slipping over to your netflix app to watch a majority of your content, while maybe having a backup app like HBO Go or Amazon prime for extra content - you now have a list of a dozen apps each for it's own content. Want to switch from Disney to Netflix? Quit. Apps. Launch Netflix. Wait for it to sign in. Choose show. Oops, forgot that Westworld season 3 is only on HBO Go right now and not Netflix yet? Repeat process. Want to catch up on the latest ESPN? Time to switch to the ESPN app. Want to watch some old wrestling? Time to go to the WWE app. Want to see whats going on with the latest politics? Better go launch your CNN/Fox/MSNBC app (choose your poison, because they'll all be different apps). And don't forget that FX, AMC, A&E, and every other channel with one flagship show will want to jump on the bandwagon. Want Walking Dead? Pay us $10 a month. Like American Horror Story? $10 a month please. You get the point. People aren't going to pay for a dozen, or even half a dozen, individual $10-$15-$20 apps that all have very specific content slices. At that point, they could simply order cable and have access to loads of non-specialized content.

Disney would be better off acquiring an existing streaming service and using it to push their content as opposed to trying to spin up an entirely new one.

Firstly I'm thrilled that Star Wars and Marvel won't be staying on Netflix. If I was Disney I would be as protective as I could be with my content and only show it on my own service.

This is nonsensical. Protective over your content at the expense of people actually paying for it? Why would anyone be thrilled that they have to jump through extra hoops or pay extra money to access content? Even from a completely "pro-capitalism Disney" perspective, in order to break even Disney needs at least 32 million subscribers (Screenrant, http://screenrant.com/disney-streaming-service-subscribers-success/)

That's one third of netflix's current base, and netflix offers a LOT of content across a very wide variety of topics and interests. They spent 6 billion this year alone on acquiring content for their service. Just putting up old disney shows and movies while adding the ones that just hit dvd/bluray simply isn't going to be enough to command the same price point as a service that offers thousands of hours of content. Nor will it be enough to convince 32 million people to double their monthly streaming costs. It's much easier to just buy the disc, or torrent the content, or wait for this to die and have the content all come flooding back to established platforms.

So while your happy they are "protecting their content", your ignoring the fact they are hurting themselves in the process.

It would partly depend on the price point. Netflix works for us as it is $10 and has some classics, bunch of kids stuff and the new content ... if Disney is only old things not sure I would pay $10/month for it

The diehards will pay just about anything for disney content. The problem is, there aren't 32 million diehards. I'd guess there are less than 100 thousand. So that leaves 31.9 million people Disney has to convince to pony up.

Across my Bloomberg Terminal so I can't link it here, but Morgan Stanley says Disney's new streaming service could be worth $25 Billion. Projecting 30 million subscribers by 2028, $5 billion in revenue. They also noted that Disney "has not proven any core competency" compared to peers in technology and they generally lag behind in this aspect of the business. Content is listed as the major driver, the tech failure being the major risk.

Edited for below link which contains much of the same information:
http://www.businessinsider.com/disn...ing-service-could-be-worth-25-billion-2017-10

Last edited:
This will be interesting. Personally Disney movies are not something that will cause me to drop Netflix and pick up a Disney subscription. Most the movies we like we own anyways, and I just don't see value in paying $120 a year when we own the movies, or can purchase new ones for cheaper. Then again I wouldn't be shocked to find out I'm in the minority either.

I would have a hard time dropping Netflix for Disney because we don’t have children and watch more grown up content than Disney content overall.

What would push me over the edge is if they pushed the timeline forward on when you can see the newer movies on the streaming service (like maybe two months after release dates in theaters). Then I would just wait to see everything- but that could impact ticket sales and movie sales as well.

Very curious to see what they’ll do to set themselves apart.

I wouldn't drop Netflix for this either. I have the movies I want and don't know of anything under the Disney banner that I care about otherwise. That could change of course.

New details revealed yesterday:
  • Disney streaming service will cost "substantially less" than Netflix per Iger. Netflix starts at $7.99 for SD only and $10.99 for HD streaming.
  • Exclusive programming is planned including:
    • Live action Star Wars show
    • New Marvel series
    • Monsters Inc series
    • High School Musical series

New details revealed yesterday:
  • Disney streaming service will cost "substantially less" than Netflix per Iger. Netflix starts at $7.99 for SD only and $10.99 for HD streaming.
  • Exclusive programming is planned including:
    • Live action Star Wars show
    • New Marvel series
    • Monsters Inc series
    • High School Musical series
It's been speculated Disney's service will be in the $6-7 range.

I am most excited for the Monsters Inc story as well as the Marvel Series. It will be interesting to see how they do a High School musical show especially with the 4th movie. I assume they will directly connect, but we will have to wait and see. :)

Yea I'm kind of expecting that the 4th HSM movie will act as a sort of lead in to the series and that the show will follow the new characters introduced in the movie. Kind of working as a bit of an extended pilot. Guessing the show itself willprobably play out similar to Glee.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter