Disney Pulls Ratatouille Wine

Rats! I swear PC crap is going to be the end of all fun in this country. Maggie

Pretty silly, but I don't think it will be a great loss to the oenophiles of the world. ;)

Here's the label they were complaining about.

I don't see what the big problem is, although, if they wanted to put Ratatouille on a brand of food, wouldn't cheese have been better?

Cheese would have been great. I don't see why they'd stop doing that, though. Putting something kids like on cheese is not going to encourage them to drink.

I really wanted to get this wine..............I mean I can understand a Little though...........because if my kids were to see the wine and see that Remy is on the label. they will automatically want some......and honestly probably get mad at me for not giving them some...........you know how kids can get. I think that maybe they should have released like a Grape Juice or White Grape Juice to compliment the Wine so that if children asked for it their parents like myself would be able to appease them............kids don't know what they are doing..........they just want things because of the character....My son is picky to the point that if he had the choice of eating a Dora the Explorer Yogurt or a Diego Yogurt.....he would chose the Diego Yogurt......THE CHARACTER on the label does influence the children because they have nothing else to go by........I mean if MICKEY was on Brocolli I think there would be alot more kids that would Like Brocolli....its almost like the character forces them to like something.........

i definitely understand pulling out of the promotion -
what i can't understand is why someone gave it the green light to begin with...
what was that person smoking when he/she agreed to putting a cartoon character on alcohol, when even 18 year olds are forbidden from drinking??????? didn't they understand the very bad publicity such a promotion would garner??????

a demonstration of truly bad judgement...

So let me get this straight...it's perfectly ok to show Disney characters under the name "Food and WINE Festival" and have the characters in parks where alcohol is served, but dare sell a wine with a Disney character on the bottle and the world is up in arms.

I don't see what the big problem is, although, if they wanted to put Ratatouille on a brand of food, wouldn't cheese have been better?

Cheese would be OK but which cheese? If they choose Cheddar cheese then the American Cheese Institute raises a fuss. If they choose Swiss your going to catch hell from the Save Our Cheddar Society.

Cheese can be a complicated thing.

Once again, this is why no one takes this country seriously. With all the problems in the world, we are too busy worrying about an imaginery rodent on a wine label. Its gonna be sold at Costco, not Toys r' Us.

And lets face it, with the size of the Disney Corporation, everyone of Mickey's burps, farts or hiccups is gonna be scrutinized by at least a dozen various groups each and every time. Its been like that for quite some time, and they salvinate at the mouth when something like this comes along.

Also, if you read the article, its California wine makers complaing (probably because its imported french wine). I am sure if Disney used California wine makers, they would not utter a peep.

Once again, this is why no one takes this country seriously. With all the problems in the world, we are too busy worrying about an imaginery rodent on a wine label. Its gonna be sold at Costco, not Toys r' Us.

And lets face it, with the size of the Disney Corporation, everyone of Mickey's burps, farts or hiccups is gonna be scrutinized by at least a dozen various groups each and every time. Its been like that for quite some time, and they salvinate at the mouth when something like this comes along.

Also, if you read the article, its California wine makers complaing (probably because its imported french wine). I am sure if Disney used California wine makers, they would not utter a peep.

If they used California wine then they have to worry about a walk out at Disneyland Paris! :cool1:

I can see both ways but what it boils down to is PARENTING. Our society expects the manufacturers to do the parenting for us because we are either to lazy or . . . I don't know - something.

Grown-ups like to have fun and have cute things with characters too. We are so afraid we are going to upset someone its rediculous.

Any guesses on what they'll do with all the unused bottles? It sounds as though they were ready to go according to the article: "Bottles of the French 2004 vintage white Burgundy".

Perhaps they'll just put them out as a Disney brand with no cartoon character associated with them?

Cheese would be OK but which cheese? If they choose Cheddar cheese then the American Cheese Institute raises a fuss. If they choose Swiss your going to catch hell from the Save Our Cheddar Society.

:rotfl2:

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

What about a french cheese? But then again, there could be a large carbon footprint on flying cheese from France to the US (accordng to the eco friendly people)

I think it was just sour grapes for the California Wine producers. Is the code refered to law or agreed upon standards by those producers? For some Government Agency to launch an investigation implying Disney is trying to market wine to kids.... come on. :confused3
Maybe it would have been fun to have a Mouse endorsed Rat wine... perhaps just available on site. I can see the appeal, I'd try it, and I promise I am over 21 by at least 25 years.
But I really wish people would just relax.
If your kids will want some wine because there is a cartoon on the bottle... then, how about you tell them ... no? :scared1:
Are we going to have to find a new image to represent poison because the skull and cross bones is popular due to the pirate craze? ;)
I am a parent who successfully raised my child... she doesn't smoke in spite of Joe Camel, doesn't eat Tony the Tiger cereal or think that the candy bar is as big as the wrapper. When she was too little to understand marketing, I would use old fashioned discipline and feed her what was good for her, not what came in great packaging.
Of course now that she is a college student, she nags me to eat organic....
and I am wishing I could find some of that Mouse endorsed Rat wine.:thumbsup2

So let me get this straight...it's perfectly ok to show Disney characters under the name "Food and WINE Festival" and have the characters in parks where alcohol is served, but dare sell a wine with a Disney character on the bottle and the world is up in arms.

shhhhh...

Rats! I swear PC crap is going to be the end of all fun in this country. Maggie

yup

i definitely understand pulling out of the promotion -
what i can't understand is why someone gave it the green light to begin with...
what was that person smoking when he/she agreed to putting a cartoon character on alcohol, when even 18 year olds are forbidden from drinking??????? didn't they understand the very bad publicity such a promotion would garner??????

a demonstration of truly bad judgement...

so I can't enjoy cartoons anymore now that I'm over 18?

yup again

I can see both ways but what it boils down to is PARENTING. Our society expects the manufacturers to do the parenting for us because we are either to lazy or . . . I don't know - something.

Grown-ups like to have fun and have cute things with characters too. We are so afraid we are going to upset someone its rediculous.

so true I can see both, but don't agree with pulling it because of the reasons stated, so many want some else to do the parenting and be the bad guy so they don't have to, and then they can also have someone else to blame,
learning responsibility starts in the home, not with corporations
:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!