Disney Pulls Ratatouille Wine

I think it was just sour grapes for the California Wine producers. Is the code refered to law or agreed upon standards by those producers? For some Government Agency to launch an investigation implying Disney is trying to market wine to kids.... come on. :confused3
Maybe it would have been fun to have a Mouse endorsed Rat wine... perhaps just available on site. I can see the appeal, I'd try it, and I promise I am over 21 by at least 25 years.
But I really wish people would just relax.
If your kids will want some wine because there is a cartoon on the bottle... then, how about you tell them ... no? :scared1:
Are we going to have to find a new image to represent poison because the skull and cross bones is popular due to the pirate craze? ;)
I am a parent who successfully raised my child... she doesn't smoke in spite of Joe Camel, doesn't eat Tony the Tiger cereal or think that the candy bar is as big as the wrapper. When she was too little to understand marketing, I would use old fashioned discipline and feed her what was good for her, not what came in great packaging.
Of course now that she is a college student, she nags me to eat organic....
and I am wishing I could find some of that Mouse endorsed Rat wine.:thumbsup2

bravo! pirate:

so I can't enjoy cartoons anymore now that I'm over 18?

Who said that?

Once again, this is why no one takes this country seriously. With all the problems in the world, we are too busy worrying about an imaginery rodent on a wine label.
Who said he's imaginary? Next you'll tell me Donald Duck is imaginary.

Not sure what's giving anyone the idea that the rest of the world doesn't take us seriously, but if some don't, the bigger reason is that we think the rest of the world gives a Ratatouille's patoot what we allow on wine labels.

They don't.

As for what we think in THIS country, as a society, we came to the conclusion long ago that using cartoon characters to advertise alcohol and tobacco isn't a good idea. It's not the entire solution to the issue of course, but that doesn't make it ok.

Regardless of what one might think about it personally, Disney's original decision to put Remy on the wine was odd from a business perspective. It's not the kind of thing they typically do because they know they will get some flak for it.

I thought the Joe Camel stuff was loopy and I think this is loopy.

If sticking a cartoon character on something was all it took to get kids to enjoy it, they'd stick them on broccoli and kids would eat it like crazy. It just doesn't work that way, more's the pity.

Besides, if your kids want to try the wine because a rat is on it, either say, "Okay" and give them a sip or say, "No." It isn't that hard.

Again, it's not an all or nothing issue. Nobody is saying putting cartoon characters on alcohol labels is the cause of all evil (or if they are then they truly are loopy).

But it's pretty well documented that alcohol and tobacco companies have purposely targeted children with their marketing. Is that the major reason why some kids drink and smoke? Of course not. Is it still the parents' job to teach their children not to drink and smoke? Of course it is.

But that doesn't make the marketing practices ok.

If you want to blame somebody for being a killjoy on this, blame the alcohol and tobacco companies who abused their positions by intentionally trying to sell their products to minors in the first place. THAT'S what has made everybody so concerned about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter