Disney repeatedly placing authorization hold on debit card (very weird)

masupo

Mouseketeer
I booked POFQ through a TA. We’re staying 04/26-04/30 and I put the deposit on my debit card on 02/26. We’ll be paying in full in a few days when it’s due, but on a different card.

Starting on 03/12, Disney has repeatedly hit my card with a WDW Room Only purchase authorization. It’s just an authorization for $0.00, but the date of the authorization keeps updating every day or every other day. It’s now 03/20 and it appeared again (still).

So far, it hasn’t affected my balance or ability to use my card – it’s more of a curiosity/annoyance.

I checked with my TA - she said she hasn’t asked Disney to look into or access my reservation and she’s not sure what the authorization is. I spoke to my bank and they see today’s authorization, but don’t see the past ones.

The next step is to speak to Disney, and I will at some point. But from what I’ve seen, everyone here is way more knowledgeable. I’ve seen many reports of multiple CM’s giving different/completely wrong answers – I trust you guys more!

Has anyone had this happen to them or heard of it happening? Just wondering if it’s a glitch or if it’s how Disney handles debit cards.

I booked POFQ through a TA. We’re staying 04/26-04/30 and I put the deposit on my debit card on 02/26. We’ll be paying in full in a few days when it’s due, but on a different card.

Starting on 03/12, Disney has repeatedly hit my card with a WDW Room Only purchase authorization. It’s just an authorization for $0.00, but the date of the authorization keeps updating every day or every other day. It’s now 03/20 and it appeared again (still).

So far, it hasn’t affected my balance or ability to use my card – it’s more of a curiosity/annoyance.

I checked with my TA - she said she hasn’t asked Disney to look into or access my reservation and she’s not sure what the authorization is. I spoke to my bank and they see today’s authorization, but don’t see the past ones.

The next step is to speak to Disney, and I will at some point. But from what I’ve seen, everyone here is way more knowledgeable. I’ve seen many reports of multiple CM’s giving different/completely wrong answers – I trust you guys more!

Has anyone had this happen to them or heard of it happening? Just wondering if it’s a glitch or if it’s how Disney handles debit cards.
You used a TA , so Disney won't discuss the reservation with you.

From how one of our banks used to do things, I bet this is on the bank’s end. Chase used to charge an authorization, then charge the whole thing, then days later the authorization would drop off. It was never just a hold, but a full charge. The time or two I called the employees couldn’t see what I was seeing, and made me feel crazy.

I bet it's the "place holder" that the bank is using to keep the charge active on your account until the merchant puts the final charge through, or their time limit runs out, whichever comes first. It's one of the many reasons not to use a debit card for things like hotels or reservations that make holds but not process till later. They are screwy by nature and can really mess with your bank account. At least this one is a $0. I've had a gas purchase that was $100 place holder for what was in reality a $20 purchase. That really messed me up for a few days. Made me quit using a debit card at truck stop type gas stations
It's very likely no one can answer you about exactly what it is.
As PP said, Disney won't talk to you at all, the TA owns your reservation so Disney will only speak to the TA
If the TA were to call, more than likely Disney wouldn't know anyway since it's a bank thing, not a Disney thing.

Sometimes they "ping" the card to make sure it's valid.

From how one of our banks used to do things, I bet this is on the bank’s end. Chase used to charge an authorization, then charge the whole thing, then days later the authorization would drop off. It was never just a hold, but a full charge. The time or two I called the employees couldn’t see what I was seeing, and made me feel crazy.

I'm guessing it was a combo of Disney pinging the card and TD's system. When I paid the deposit, it followed a normal pattern - one ping for $0 to check validity, then the full charge which was pending until it cleared. The original "place holder" hold dropped off in the normal 3 day time frame. I wasn't expecting another ping until I gave authorization to pay the balance.

I use a combo of credit and debit cards, and I've experienced different holds, etc. Disney may have decided to ping the card again even though the final amount is not yet due. What was unusual was the hold appearing every day with a new date for eight straight days.o_O I've never had a hold last that long.

But apparently the magic solution was to ask about it here. :rotfl2: This morning TD had an error message that balances could not be accessed via web or phone. After the system came back, the hold disappeared. Luckily the balance will be paid on a credit card, so this shouldn't come up again.

I bet it's the "place holder" that the bank is using to keep the charge active on your account until the merchant puts the final charge through, or their time limit runs out, whichever comes first. It's one of the many reasons not to use a debit card for things like hotels or reservations that make holds but not process till later. They are screwy by nature and can really mess with your bank account. At least this one is a $0. I've had a gas purchase that was $100 place holder for what was in reality a $20 purchase. That really messed me up for a few days. Made me quit using a debit card at truck stop type gas stations
It's very likely no one can answer you about exactly what it is.
As PP said, Disney won't talk to you at all, the TA owns your reservation so Disney will only speak to the TA
If the TA were to call, more than likely Disney wouldn't know anyway since it's a bank thing, not a Disney thing.

I've had that problem with gas stations, but I've never used a debit card when I check in at a hotel and luckily it's never been an issue before when I prepay through something like Hotwire. Also luckily my life situation is changing and I can use credit cards now and phase out the debit cards!

I'll guess it's because you used your debit card. For a transaction like this, it'd be better to use a credit card.

Here's an article, yes, it's from 2012, but it gives a clear explanation of holds on accounts.
https://www.accountnow.com/content/why-is-there-a-hold-on-my-debit-card/

Thanks for the info and thanks everyone for your help!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!