Disney rides after back injury?

amynpiano

Earning My Ears
My mother is joining us at Disney (3 parks) next month, but she had back surgery two years ago. Speed and height are not a problem, but she is supposed to avoid rides that jerk her around.

Here are some rides we know she should avoid:

MK - Barnstormer, Big Thunder Mtn, Seven Dwarfs, Space Mtn, Splash Mtn
-- Not sure about Astro Orbiter?
Epcot - Not sure about Mission Space and Test Track?
AK - Primeval Whirl, Dinosaur, Everest
-- Not sure about Rapids? She really wants to do Flights of Passage?

Any thoughts or tips? We haven't been in 3 years, so I'm having a hard time remembering which rides were bumpy.

Thanks!

So, it depends on the nature of the injury and surgery and such. I have a herniated disc in my lower back, but have never had the surgery, and I ride everything, though some things I limit myself on. Most roller coasters and simulator rides do advise against riding if you have any sort of back problems. Space mountain is definitely the jerkiest thing around. I honestly don't think Splash Mountain is a major concern, and 7DMT is also rather smooth and easy going. Mission SPACE: Orange Team is not jerky but it probably hurts my back the most (because of the G-forces and the nature of my condition). Green Team on the other hand is pretty smooth and just shakes a little. Test Track is mildly jerky in the early parts, but it's about like riding in a car with a somewhat bad driver. Kali River Rapids could be a little jerky, but not too much. The raft kind of bounces between the sides of the flume.

Astro Orbiter should be fine. It's just a spinner, but getting in and out of the rocket can be a little tough. Flight of Passage is probably fine to. It moves more than Soarin', but is very smooth. There is a back restraint that comes up behind you though, so depending on how that lays, I could see it potentially making things uncomfortable. I lean toward this being fine though.

I ride anything pretty much, which I probably shouldn't. Even the most intense Disney rides are actually not that intense compared to other parks, though Space Mountain is jerky mostly because of it's age. You aren't doing HS it sounds like, and that's were most of the concerning rides are (Rock'n Roller Coaster, ToT, Star Tours - all jerky, though ToT isn't too hard on me). Certainly when in doubt it's best to err on the side of caution.

It really depends. My son has nerve damage to his spinal cord so can't/doesn't ride the following:

Space Mountain
RNRC
Dinosaur

He can ride EE once but only once, the problem with it is a jerk pretty close to the beginning.
He rides Safari once during a trip, the bouncing hurts, especially if he is tired.

He rides BTM no problem but does brace himself so there is no jerk.

He rides TOT with no problem and has no problems with FOP.

I'm sure it depends on the back injury, but thanks for the tips! She fractured a vertebrae and had vertibroplasty - an injection of "cement" to stabilize it. We really want her to get to ride FOP, so glad to hear that others are fine with it.

Everyone's triggers for back problems can be subtly different - my MAIN issue is lower back (herniated disk), but it's easy for me to tweak a nerve in my neck. Here's the rides that have caused me pain/flare ups

MK - BTMRR (can only ride on occasion), Space Mountain (can't ride anymore at all). I can ride everything else.

EPCOT - TT - though I recommend the middle seat and she may be fine. I ride this routinely - and only once irritated anything. (I don't ride Mission Space - so can't comment on)

AK - Dinosaur, Safari (I don't ride Primeval Whirl - so can't comment on). Dinosaur, if I brace myself, I can tolerate on occasion - but this is probably a no good for most folks with back issues. Safari - this one - partially depends upon the driver. The seat back is just rough on me - and I'm tall - so sometimes I get bruised knees. It can be jerky - can trigger neck problems for me. I wish they would tone this one down some - it's about the animals - and not about artificially roughing up the ride that make this ride. I'm not saying perfectly paved roads would be better - that would seem fake, too - but this is a star attraction of the park - and as I get older - my tolerance for the bumping around it does is going down.

This is a great question. I’m 67. My experience is:

Epcot: test track no problem; I don’t do Mission Space due to motion sickness;
Surprisingly, the Frozen Ride was the worst for me. When the boat went downhill backward, it hit with a big thunk and hurt my lower back. I rode it again at another time and just put my hand flat against my back and I was ok.

MK: big Thunder Mt. Was ok when I rode with my daughter, but when I rode solo, I slipped side to side on the seat. I didn’t get hurt, but it was a feeling of not being in control.

Splash Mt. Has never seemed bumpy to me. The seats are pretty comfortable, but I probably lean forward a bit on the big drop.

I rode Space Mt. and no back problems, but I didn’t like the jerky turns.

Seven Dwarves Mine Train is such a smooth ride. It’s a snug fit and feels very secure.

Barnstormer was very jerky and not comfortable.

AK: my daughter rode dinosaur, Everest, and primeval whirl, and told me they would be too jerky for me.
FOP I rode and it was comfortable with no stress on my back; however I’ve realized I get motion sickness from the 3D glasses.
Safari I’ve ridden many times with no issues, but I’m only five feet tall so I never actually sit all the way back in the seat.

Hope this helps.

Even relatively smooth rollercoasters like Big Thunder Mountain Railroad or Expedition Everest can occasionally jerk forward on the lift hills, when the chain catches the train. Or if there is a ride stop (ride "breakdown"), the brakes are designed to stop a rollercoaster very quickly. Which is to say that the vast majority of people will ride these trouble-free, but they still carry warnings.

It depends on what is too much for your injury - I don't do Space Mountain, Dinosaur, ToT, Splash or Primeval Whirl. Each is too jerky for me - that being said I regret RnRC everytime but I LOVE that ride so worth an extra round of Advil for me

I have had three back surgeries. I always rely on the warning signs at the front of the ride that caution you if you have a heart problem, back problem, etc., that this ride may not be for you. Accept that sign as a warning that you should probably stay off.

If twisting is an issue, I'd be wary of Primeval Whirl and Midway Mania. Both really swing you around and spin the vehicle while in motion.

One tip regarding KS-there is MUCH less bouncing in the front than in the back of the jeep. I have severe spinal stenosis and herniated discs, so I always request a seat in the front two rows. Once I sat in the back row, and going over a bump nearly did in my back!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!