Disney ruining beloved properties

old lady

DIS Veteran
Do you get the impression that Disney ruins their and their required properties by not being true to the source.

Do you mean acquired properties?
Can you give some examples? I think this is true for some of the 'straight to DVD' movies that sometimes negate the endings to the originals.

That’s why I have my original Star Wars DVDs. I like to see it without all of its crazy changes.

Btw, Greedo shot first. /troll

Regarding all these things about franchises being ruined aren't really true. We don't have to have everything related to the franchise. I don't have any of the Disney DVD sequels or live action versions. But I can still love Aladdin and Beauty and the Beast and all of the classics while ignoring everything I don't like. Nothing has been ruined in this case. So really, the only one who has ruined anything has been George Lucas.

Dialogue was changed in Empire too to make it work better with Ep I-III. I like watching the original theatrical versions.

Now, MCU is really probably the best example of what Disney did right with a property.

Empire was not originally received well and I would disagree that Disney hasn't done Star Wars right. The main issue is MCU was comics adapted to movies whereas Star Wars has a fan base who had the image built up of exactly what they wanted in terms of the story continuing. MCU had a comics fan base but there was no real movie audience with pre-conceived notions about what to truly expect. And so Disney had a lot more freedom to take license with the characters while still figuring out how to represent them. Other than the subversions not being set up well, I thought The Last Jedi was good follow up to the first of the sequels trilogy.

I'm one of those few people who has zero problems with the changes made to Star Wars. I watched a video recently that detailed every one of them, and I generally find them all to be better, at least in their final forms as seen on the Blu-ray or 4K releases (some of the changes in 1997 looked a little rough, though I had no issues with them conceptually).

I do understand though when someone sees things as having gone off the rails. I see it a lot on comic books (i.e. Marvel right now) and while I try not to let it impact my enjoyment of past output, that can be difficult since it is a continuing mythos. Generally though, I don't think Disney is bad with this - even the dreaded straight-to-video- sequels are mostly inconsequential and don't "ruin" anything other than being of questionable quality sometimes. They are easily ignored, though I admit I have a soft spot for some of them and am excited to see a lot of the ones I never have on D+.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!