Disney Secrets and tips to look for on busy days - Your happy place

hopeful4fl

DisneySpirit
There are days when Disney gets so busy that people hate it. Apart from the crowds, ride times are too long and the negativity is what people focus on. Those are the days that I start looking for the "details" and secrets that makes Disney unique. Pointing them out to our friends gets our mind off of the craziness. I would love to get ideas for everyone to look out for (and salvage) those crazy days and find something to smile about. My favorites are:
1> The Gradual changes in the look of the lands in MK with natural surroundings and landscaping designed to hide one land from the other.
2> Trying to find a CM who would point with one finger to guide someone.
3> On SUPER CRAZY MK nights, watching the fireworks from the Poly beach or Trader Sam's with music piped in (or Cali Grill or DVC lounge)
4> Getting pictures taken by the Disney photographers. They really do take the best pics.
5> Doing either Rope Drop or end of the end of night line for impossible rides.
6> Sitting on second floor section of Pinnochio and people watch.

I can go on and on, and some of these may not even be "secrets", but they allow us to enjoy the parks beyond just the rides. To us, Disney is about the Happy Place and would love to have others post their tips on trying to have fun. Other parks have their own fun things to look for, but I would rather get other's perspectives on them and hopefully find some new ones from the replies.

We have a tradition of bringing a deck of cards on every vacation. If we are having some down time (at Mizer’s Lounge, for example), we will break out the cards and begin a game of Rummy 500. It’s a nice way to relax, have a drink and enjoy the beautiful music that fills the lobby of the GF.

We tried to teach our kids from the beginning to enjoy things other than rides. COP is my 8 year old's favorite ... we are the crazy family that claps and sings along with the song. The Tiki Room and Country Bears are also goofy fun that get you out of the crowds. We treat the PeopleMover like a roller coaster ... holding our arms up and shouting "weeeeee" at certain turns.

The Hidden Mickey book is always a hit. We have been known to carry it with us, or to "assign" everyone a different section the night before to be in charge of remember for that day. I'm thinking for Christmas this year we may do some penny pressing ... we haven't done that yet.

We search for hidden mickeys, pin trade and take lots of pictures. This last time my son did the Sorcerers of the Kingdom too. Also last time while my husband and son were on RRC, my daughter and I splurged and got a giant mickey cookie and we sat on a curb and ate it while we waited.

Last time we were at Disney on COP, there was a malfunction and we saw the same scene four or five times. Everyone was groaning each time it repeated. After that, we couldn’t get the kids to do it again, even to escape a deluge.

You could do the pirate treasure hunt too? They still have that there right? And when your done you get a fastpass for pirates?

We like to just find a quiet spot and people watch while taking about(sorry people) the families running at full speed through the park or screaming at their kids. I realize it’s wrong but it helps us realize WDW is a place for happiness and fun, and a reminder that we don’t want to be “that family”

Back in 2010 , I use to give friends tips on which hotels, park days, what to pack, etc. now that can all be found on great websites and boards like this. So......
My best piece of advice is the 4:00 pm SNACK BREAK. We very easily go from one ride, to a show,. So at 4:00 we stop, get mom a coffee, kids ice cream or popcorn and sit behind the Christmas store in liberty square. There are some benches , grass, and quiet.

Now the grownups will play bingo..we make a card to fill in throughout the day.
Most crabby baby, most outrageous outfit, best Disney bounding . This gives us something to talk about on the bus rides to the resort at the end of the night

We like to just find a quiet spot and people watch while taking about(sorry people) the families running at full speed through the park or screaming at their kids. I realize it’s wrong but it helps us realize WDW is a place for happiness and fun, and a reminder that we don’t want to be “that family”

Yep we do that to, watching for the "Disney meltdown", which at times is a kid(s) melting down and other times is a parent(s) -- the last trip DW was people-watching and observed this one lady having a ranting meltdown, which abruptly stopped when the woman noticed that DW was recording with my phone - just today my iPhone self-assembled a "best of Bay Lake" album and there in the middle of the pics and clips is the "random stranger" woman ranting about whatever was bugging her... thanks random woman for the memory...

Grab a coffee/snack and sit at a table at the end of Centre Street (? I think that’s what it’s called) just off Main St. Lots of quirky Disney touches to enjoy - and few people.

We enjoyed a lengthy conversation about Christmas and Thanksgiving traditions between our two countries with a wonderful Streetmosphere lady during one of our quiet breaks. She stayed mostly in character. But strayed to talk about her family which was nice. One of my favourite memories.

There's a lot of great attractions at Disney that are perfect to do for those busy days such as TTA, Carousel of Progress, Enchanted Tiki Room, Hall of Presidents, Country Bear Jamboree, Living with the Land, Grand Fiesta Tour, and one of my favorites Walt Disney Presents at Hollywood Studios.

We like to ride the “PeopleMover” a few times. “Morrow....paging TomMorrow.....”. Carousel of Progress is another oldie but goody.

Also we enjoy grabbing a treat (ice cream usually! :blush: ) and finding a spot on top of the train station to people-watch. As many times as I’ve walked down Main Street I still find new discoveries. Watching people coming into the park striding purposefully or just meandering down the middle of the street and watching other people exiting the parks with their “dogs barking”!

You know, I never much pay attention on Main Street and I will make a point to do so on our next trip. We are usually rushing past to get somewhere or leave. Now that my electrical parade is gone I don’t find a lot of use to be on Main Street because we rarely souvenir shop anymore

You know, I never much pay attention on Main Street and I will make a point to do so on our next trip. We are usually rushing past to get somewhere or leave. Now that my electrical parade is gone I don’t find a lot of use to be on Main Street because we rarely souvenir shop anymore

I started this tradition of sorts back in 1989 when MGM Studios opened. My mom and I toured there - it was hot and crowded since it was the first month it opened and Memorial Day weekend (crazy, I know, but the airfare was cheap :goodvibes). Then we hopped to the MK. By 6:00 p.m. of a day that started very early, we were pretty tired and in need of a break. We ended up with ice cream cones at the top of the railroad station and had a wonderful time and met some very nice folks.

So whenever the need arises, that’s where I head. It’s fun to people-watch and it’s a pleasant place to relax during the day.

Back in 2010 , I use to give friends tips on which hotels, park days, what to pack, etc. now that can all be found on great websites and boards like this. So......
My best piece of advice is the 4:00 pm SNACK BREAK. We very easily go from one ride, to a show,. So at 4:00 we stop, get mom a coffee, kids ice cream or popcorn and sit behind the Christmas store in liberty square. There are some benches , grass, and quiet.

Now the grownups will play bingo..we make a card to fill in throughout the day.
Most crabby baby, most outrageous outfit, best Disney bounding . This gives us something to talk about on the bus rides to the resort at the end of the night
I would love to put together a bingo board like yours. What ither items do you put on yours? Thanks in advance!

its not the nicest thing to do, but we don't get too mean and it helps the day go by so we don't end up being the CRABBY people in the park. Person wearing a fanny pack, lady wearing stilettos to walk in the park all day, most creative Mickey ears, person dressed in clothes with 80s style, are just a few over the years.

its not the nicest thing to do, but we don't get too mean and it helps the day go by so we don't end up being the CRABBY people in the park. Person wearing a fanny pack, lady wearing stilettos to walk in the park all day, most creative Mickey ears, person dressed in clothes with 80s style, are just a few over the years.
I have seen women in high heels walking in the parks. That is just stupid crazy IMO but then again I wear heals 1-2x a year maybe

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!