Disney seeks exemption to their no-fly zone to launch a swarm of drones

70gqKJ5.png

Seemed like a good description.

70gqKJ5.png

Seemed like a good description.
However they are really looking at this for Epcot more than anything else. I don't see this happening in a place without a large body of water for the protection of the guests. If a drone goes bad it just drops in the water rather than dropping on guests.

I'm not trying to make Disney out to be the good guys here, but this article that keeps popping up in my news feed tries to misconstrue this to the point of making them look terrible because we live in a post 9/11 society:
http://news.yahoo.com/nobody-happy-disneys-no-fly-221100762.html
I know for certain that only the Magic Kingdom has the no fly zone restrictions, and I know it's not for advertising because I've seen those "Jesus Loves You" banners fly over Epcot and other places around the resort numerous times (Epcot's the only park I know for sure where I've seen them). Maybe they just should've done their research before trying to make everyone who reads that think it was to prevent fly-by advertising. I'm pretty sure there was the only place that ever doubted that it was for terrorist concerns

I needed to get that off my chest, and as for the actual drones themselves, I don't see this ending well... As in falling burning drones. How many fires were there in recent years because of the fireworks?

No reason for a falling drone to cause a fire even if it was to come down on land. Odds are though most would be over water. I think Epcot or Electrical Water Parade are where you might see these.

No reason for a falling drone to cause a fire even if it was to come down on land. Odds are though most would be over water. I think Epcot or Electrical Water Parade are where you might see these.

I agree. Maybe Illuminations' replacement?

I think they could do absolutely AMAZING things with drones for a night time show - even if only utilized to hover over the water. I think it could be done very safely - if one were to fail it would simply plop into World Showcase lagoon.

I agree. Maybe Illuminations' replacement?

I think they could do absolutely AMAZING things with drones for a night time show - even if only utilized to hover over the water. I think it could be done very safely - if one were to fail it would simply plop into World Showcase lagoon.

If they have worked out how to coordinate and synchronize them then yes you could do an amazing show. I don't think it would replace fireworks, but the lighting effects could be incredible.

Imagine 50-100 of small drones with multiple colors of LEDs and strobe effects all "dancing" to the music.

I don't think this is such a big deal either-- What altitude are we talking about? Certainly much lower than the fire works. Did they need to get approval for the "dragon" ultra light they flew over the new FLE opening? That was over MK.... On that note I hope they use something similar for Pandora...

If they have worked out how to coordinate and synchronize them then yes you could do an amazing show. I don't think it would replace fireworks, but the lighting effects could be incredible.

Imagine 50-100 of small drones with multiple colors of LEDs and strobe effects all "dancing" to the music.

I dont think 50-100 will be enough for a disney level of "wow".

Check out what intel did recently with 100, to me, that just didnt look that impressive.

I haven't looked at the filings (sorry) but any chance these would be used for rivers of light?

I dont think 50-100 will be enough for a disney level of "wow".

Check out what intel did recently with 100, to me, that just didnt look that impressive.

Intel is also not a world-class innovator in entertainment and theme parks.

The presentation in the video was probably MUCH more impressive in person. Some things just don't translate well to video.

From what I understand, some models are carefully designed to descend very slowly in case something goes wrong internally. A big group of drones would probably be synced to a complex software to track every possible movement, failure or issue. In reality, they probably tested these over and over with different factors in mind before they even made a proposal to use them in big quantities.

Intel is also not a world-class innovator in entertainment and theme parks.

The presentation in the video was probably MUCH more impressive in person. Some things just don't translate well to video.

It doesn't help that that is really badly edited. You don't get a sense of the 3D nature of the presentation, nor the scale and there's endless cuts to people adjusting dials so you don't even get the flow of the synchronization with the music.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter