Disney shaming

StarlitNight05

DIS Veteran
Has anyone delt with Disney shaming from others? I'm 30 years old, I'm married but do not have children. I've had several coworkers seem confused why I would be even remotely interested in Disneyland. They seem to think Disneyland is just for children. I can't really explain this to them since you'd just have to be in our (Disney lovers) mindset to truly understand. Both my husband and I have fond childhood memories of DLR and it just seems to get better with age. I try to not let it bother me, but I've gotten to the point where I don't even share my vacation plans with coworkers anymore. Oh well, their loss. More Disney for me!

Last edited:
Can totally understand this! My partner and I have had the same remarks from co-workers, friends and family alike! We're 29 and 30 and also have no children and others fail to understand why we'd have an interest in going to Disney! Like you, we try not to let it bother us and I have tried to become my assertive and confident in my love for Disney and our holiday plans, but we still get funny looks and judgemental remarks. We also hold childhood and nostalgic memories and have become even bigger fans in our adulthood! When we feel judged, we usually say to each other that it's our money and time, and we'll spend it where we're happiest!

I don't know why people share their vacation plans with others. Or why they would share a second time when they know the response they'll get.

Stop sharing and you won't get your feelings hurt.

That said, you don't have to love Disney to have someone explain why they love it. Just tell them, if you continue to share and continue to get the questions, that you have good memories there from childhood, that you like the feeling of being there (that's my feeling, though it's stronger with universal at this point), the rides, etc. if they are asking you a question, it's not a hard question to answer.

I don't know why people share their vacation plans with others. Or why they would share a second time when they know the response they'll get.

Exactly that. You are the only one who has to know about and be satisfied with your vacation choices.

Why should anyone have to withhold their vacation plans? It isn't up to others to approve or disapprove of your vacation. You have every right to be excited about it and want to share; if you are belittled for it by others, then that is certainly not YOUR fault. It CAN put a temporary damper on your enthusiasm when someone questions your choices in that way and I completely understand your reaction. Often, for me, it's not that I'm telling them about it but they hear it from friends/family. If that happens to me I just shrug and tell them it makes me happy.

I have experienced some Disneyland shaming and mostly some teasing. I share my vacation plans but let the conversation be guided by the questions or interest of others. I do other things that people also don't get -- like backpacking by myself etc. I simply smile to myself that they don't get the joy of Disney and I am 58! My dd - 23 rolled her eyes for the last five or so years and then she said this year she'd like to join me and she had such a great time last month she wants to go to MHP with me again next year :)

It's usually an eye roll from the family. We stopped telling them a long time ago but sometimes they still make comments. I would bring up the fact that I can't, for the life of me, understand why they keep going to their cottages when they do the same thing over and over again. I explain to them that everyone enjoys different things. That usually steers the conversation to another topic. We love Disney and going to the cottage is like watching paint dry...then realizing that the paint is boring and drab.

Our friends don't make comments. They are actually quite supportive and excited for us. It doesn't matter if they are just being nice or not. I do the same when they tell me that they are on their way to their cottages. People like to do different things, even if it's the same thing over and over again. It's not really anyone's place to ridicule your choice. I would think they are just upset that you don't want to do what they are doing.

Even if you don't tell them about your plans, sometimes they find out. You just need to realize that they don't and will never understand. Just tell them that you enjoy it and that's the only thing that matters.

I've been on the receiving end of many eye rolls while talking about Disneyland (or my general obsession with all things Disney). The funny thing is, many of those people teasing about it end up asking me for advice when they end up planning a Disney trip!

Everyone has something they're passionate about- it's too bad that people sometimes act judgemental about things they just don't understand.

That said, you don't have to love Disney to have someone explain why they love it. Just tell them, if you continue to share and continue to get the questions, that you have good memories there from childhood, that you like the feeling of being there (that's my feeling, though it's stronger with universal at this point), the rides, etc. if they are asking you a question, it's not a hard question to answer.

It wasn't that I gushed to others... This all started because I requested a vacation and my boss innocently asked me at a team meeting where I was going. I told them we were going to Disneyland and was then barraged by a slew of accusatory questions of why i was going, how it was packed and consumerist, or was a place for only children. I work with some awesome people, but also a few bad apples. I was just taken aback by the outlash I received from a handful of folks. Ever since then I won't even mention it at work. It's not worth explaining to people who don't even want to accept your explanation.

However, my family and friends are more than supportive though, so that's all that matters. I was just pondering on my upcoming trip and was wondering if anyone had experienced anything similar.

No, it doesn't happen to me much, but I do live in Southern California so most people get it a little bit.

Some people "get" the Disney magic, some people don't! There's no shame in my game....I say just enjoy your plans and don't worry about what other people think.

I don't get that reaction when I tell people we're going and it would bother me too. Most people I know, friends, family, aren't into DL or WDW but they don't ask why we go either. Everyone has their thing. Our good friends are big time into camping and it's not our thing. We don't give them a bad time about that and they don't give us a bad time for going to DL. Try not to let it bother you, people are rude :(

Not about Disney, but about SeaWorld. As a teacher I get a free fun card. Mom (my travel buddy) and I went one weekend. I came back sunburned. Another teacher asked in copy room what happened and I told her. Later in the week I was in workroom with several people including aforementioned coworker when she said, "did you hear what she did last weekend? She went to SEAWORLD with her MOMMY. isn't that just PRECIOUS?" I capitalized those words because she over exaggerated them, slowing down and dragging out every syllable. I just rolled my eyes and walked out.

I don't understand people's need to bad mouth others' vacation choices. Go ahead and go to Disneyland and have a wonderful time! They're the ones missing out. DL is not just for children. There is a ton of fun stuff for adults to do, too. Someone who mocks you for how you spend your time off is just insecure. For me, personally, I really don't want to spend an entire week at a beach. And camping is my idea of torture. Nor am I interested in spending a week at a ski resort. But I know people who love to do that...and I wish them a happy trip when they are off on their vacation. And when they return, I ask if they have a nice time and all that normal stuff you do when you make small talk about someone's vacation.

People (family, friends and Co-Workers a-like) try to make Some fun of me. First of all I don't care. I love taking pictures with characters, I don't care what anyone thinks either. I'm not judging any choices anyone makes but if they judhe me. I still don't care. I go to Disney alone and with my mom (witouth my kids and Wife), people think I'm crazy and ask tons of questions. You get it I don't care.

You have to do what you love to do. And according to the crowds you're not alone. And like someone else said, the minute they go to Disney, they're on your doorstep for advice.

I have 1 advice. HAVE FUN!

I use to hear it a bit but nothing like people being mean about it. I live in southern California and quite a few of my co-workers also go a lot. But if people were trying to insult me over it I'd likely tell them where they could shove it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!