Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

The 911 calls really show how shameful it was of Disney to not communicate anything at all. Hopefully whoever made that decision got a stern talking to.

I've been evac'ed from two rides at Disney and both times had decent enough communication, they didn't just keep playing the temporarily stopped message.

I listened to some of the call. It’s so sad, that poor child, my heart hurt for her. I couldn’t get to it thru the link so I did a search and other accounts popped up too. I saw most of the accounts were given to local news stations. I’m surprised the national media hasn’t interviewed some people since the accident, to get more information about what was actually going on in the gondolas. Besides this one, (and I didn’t look for other stories) I saw an interview with a family where the little girl was saying her dad had to keep applying ice packs to her to cool her off, a man called 911 because his wife was “burning up”, & another man went into detail about little kids trying to pee in the bags provided and it going all over the floor. Reading these accounts, all I could think was tell me again, Disney, how this is a COOL, safe mode of transportation & they should thank God it didn’t happened during the day. Seriously, I wonder why there hasn’t been more national news coverage on this. Maybe, cause no one died. I am so disappointed with Disney. (No flames, plz.)

The 911 calls really show how shameful it was of Disney to not communicate anything at all. Hopefully whoever made that decision got a stern talking to.

I've been evac'ed from two rides at Disney and both times had decent enough communication, they didn't just keep playing the temporarily stopped message.
A stern talking to? Lol. I hope they kicked the SOB off the property and changed the employee entrance codes as soon as he was gone.

. Reading these accounts, all I could think was tell me again, Disney, how this is a COOL, safe mode of transportation & they should thank God it didn’t happened during the day.
Correction: It's a kewl, safe mode of transportation.

This time I would want to reprimand parents who reprimanded their children for fouling the gondolas due to inaccurate relieving of themselves.

... how shameful it was of Disney to not communicate anything at all
Looks to me that Disney did not want to put out information that did not have the quality of press releases. I personally would have preferred quicker delivery of information, not necessarily deploying the most skilled communications CMs, and approaching the complexion of sports play by play commentary. Corrections would be made as needed. One disadvantage would be some material intended only for the occupants of the gondola experiencing the personal emergency getting out to all of the gondolas.

Last edited:

Is the Skyliner back to running A normal schedule today?

Not sure about today but based upon the storm I would highly doubt it. Yesterday, 10/18/19, it was running a pretty limited schedule. The times were all over the place while we were there last week after it reopened.

Not sure about today but based upon the storm I would highly doubt it. Yesterday, 10/18/19, it was running a pretty limited schedule. The times were all over the place while we were there last week after it reopened.

Yesterday was the last day of their announced modified hours ... Not to say today won't be impacted by weather but I don't think yesterday is an indicator of today

Yesterday was the last day of their announced modified hours ... Not to say today won't be impacted by weather but I don't think yesterday is an indicator of today

View attachment 445584

LOL--I am home today--got out just ahead of the storm last night. We weren't impacted at all by the Skyliner (except from a crowd standpoint at IG)--we were at BCV. We did take note of the daily opening and closures, even rode it one evening just to do it. Curiosity is satisfied and probably won't do it again. :D

Seriously, I wonder why there hasn’t been more national news coverage on this. Maybe, cause no one died. I am so disappointed with Disney. (No flames, plz.)
No one died. No one was seriously injured. Not sure anyone was injured. How many guests were taken to a hospital? Were they admitted. The gondolas were in the equivalent of a fender bender. Some guest were inconvenienced. Not pleasant. Not magical. BUT not something that's newsworthy for very long.

No one died. No one was seriously injured. Not sure anyone was injured. How many guests were taken to a hospital? Were they admitted. The gondolas were in the equivalent of a fender bender. Some guest were inconvenienced. Not pleasant. Not magical. BUT not something that's newsworthy for very long.
Some guests were inconvenienced? Did you listen to the 911 calls?

I'm at Disney now. Took the Skyliner to Hollywood Studios from Pop yesterday. I had the gondola to myself. It was great, smooth, no stops. Wish they connected more resorts and parks! Riding back from Magic Kingdom to the resort on a bus last night...packed in with so many people, stepped on, elbowed, etc. Granted, I wasn't stuck for any length of time like all of those people (and I feel very badly for them and what they experienced, especially the kids). But, I do prefer the gondola ride experience and felt totally safe.

Fast? Yea after 3 hours plus with lack of communication I would want to ask for help too.
There's some speculation that the 911 calls may have hindered an earlier attempt at evacuating it. From what I understand from some posts and things that have been said about how they can handle an evacuation. First, they probably dumped the ques at both Carabian beach and Epcot and then unloaded everyone that was inside of the station on gondolas with fully open doors. They probably removed gondolas at Caribbean beach so that they could begin reversing the direction of the line to get more people into a station where they could be evacuated and they could remove more gondolas at Caribean beach as they came in. What hindered that process was the 911 call and the evac of one gondola that waws hard to find and also it took time to set up the fire truck to rescue them.

We have speculation and probablies galore. Do you think there will be full disclosure? The Orlando Sentinel got the 911 calls released.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter