Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

Yes, ski lifts do run at night, but it's less usual for gondolas to because they traverse areas that are typically unlit, being much higher up off the ground than a chairlift and covering much longer distances. There are trams that run at night but those are operated by trained personnel in the vehicle, all the passengers are together. So it'll be interesting to see what they come up with for lighting, if they do. They may not want people alone out there in the dark, though honestly it would be pretty cool to be there and see all the lights from the parks & resorts!

I'm sorry, I was just trying to answer a question another person had asked about the A/C and why it would be unlikely:). Thank you for describing what will be done, that makes a lot of sense.

Did they say what operating hours would be yet? I hope that the hours will be the same as other modes of transport, but I could see why they might not be. Crossing my fingers for it to be done by late May! We're staying at BWI and I'd love to take a ride or even just see it from the ground.

Park close is one of the most demanding times for transportation, so I cannot believe they would install a system that they did not intend to use after dark.

Park close is one of the most demanding times for transportation, so I cannot believe they would install a system that they did not intend to use after dark.
Me, neither, but it will be interesting to see how they do it. That stretch across the woods between CBR and DHS is what the challenge will be. I think a walking path there underneath it would be wonderful, and the lighting could be part of that. Disney is pretty terrific at making things fun AND safe so it's likely they'll come up with something. I've always been amazed at how they handle transportation. They have some top systems engineers working there, for sure.

Last edited:
Did they say what operating hours would be yet? I hope that the hours will be the same as other modes of transport, but I could see why they might not be. Crossing my fingers for it to be done by late May! We're staying at BWI and I'd love to take a ride or even just see it from the ground.

There hasn't been a lot of official info form Disney on how they would operate - but it is understood that these are being build to help trasnport a lot of people to and from DHS for Galaxy's Edge. So I don't see how these would have a shorter operating time than the buses or boats or other modes of transportation. These are traveling in fairly populated areas and along roads and stuff so largely areas that will have lighting anyway

As for your trip, I could see them open by late May, but might not be until June or at bit later, so don't expect it to be open, but rather an added benefit if it is! :)

Yes, ski lifts do run at night, but it's less usual for gondolas to because they traverse areas that are typically unlit, being much higher up off the ground than a chairlift and covering much longer distances. There are trams that run at night but those are operated by trained personnel in the vehicle, all the passengers are together. So it'll be interesting to see what they come up with for lighting, if they do. They may not want people alone out there in the dark, though honestly it would be pretty cool to be there and see all the lights from the parks & resorts!

Gondolas operate after dark all the time. Keystone runs their gondola for night skiing, for example. Other resorts run them to access restaurants on the upper mountain.

Gondolas operate after dark all the time. Keystone runs their gondola for night skiing, for example. Other resorts run them to access restaurants on the upper mountain.
Yup, Jackson Hole does too. It's just not as common. Mostly I think of trams running at night but perhaps it's because those tend to be only at bigger ski resorts with more facilities at the top to go to.

When I look at the map, I really do think they might add a path to DHS from CBR. So then there would be lights and it wouldn't seem so isolated. They have to be able to get to the cables/cars, and Disney usually makes even practical infrastructure look very nice. I don't see them stringing gondolas out over a dark forest. Although, again, it would be cool if they did.

Last edited:
How long do we think an average end-to-end trip in the Skyliner would take? Say Pop to EPCOT – ten minutes?

How long do we think an average end-to-end trip in the Skyliner would take? Say Pop to EPCOT – ten minutes?
The distance is 1.9 mi. The speed has been alleged to be 11 mph. That's 10.4 minutes at full speed. Add a few minutes for the cabins slowing thru the stations and the turn, plus the transfer, and total trip time should be around 15 minutes, or a bit more.

The distance is 1.9 mi. The speed has been alleged to be 11 mph. That's 10.4 minutes at full speed. Add a few minutes for the cabins slowing thru the stations and the turn, plus the transfer, and total trip time should be around 15 minutes, or a bit more.

That's pretty good! Even if you are going to Epcot and get dropped off at IG and you have to walk back into the other part of the park, it's still faster than using the bus, as others have mentioned.

Has there been any discussion about increasing the number of security stations at IG? I normally go through there mid-day and it's quiet but I'm not sure what it's like at park opening. With more guests entering though IG I wonder if it will change? Or, possibly we will go through security prior to entering the Skyliner system at each starting point?

Still many unknowns.....

Has there been any discussion about increasing the number of security stations at IG? I normally go through there mid-day and it's quiet but I'm not sure what it's like at park opening. With more guests entering though IG I wonder if it will change? Or, possibly we will go through security prior to entering the Skyliner system at each starting point?

Still many unknowns.....
The rumor is the Skyliner will be inside the security bubble sort of like the monorail. Obviously we don’t know that yet for sure.

The rumor is the Skyliner will be inside the security bubble sort of like the monorail. Obviously we don’t know that yet for sure.
If that were true, the location of the DHS station would indicate a significant reconstruction of the security location for those arriving by car/bus.

Hmm, yeah don’t know that has been discussed much. On one hand, I wouldn’t think access on to the “attraction” would be outside the bubble - of course one can ride the busses pre security. Also as was mentioned one would think we’d be seeing a “secure corridor” from the DHS station towards the gate which seems semi impossible at ground level without impending all sorts of other foot traffic. Plus as the AOA/POP station is on a bridge I’d think we would be seeing security/staging areas popping up off the Bridge. Time will tell. Interesting thought.

And a lot of the reorganization has already begun.
Looking at the aerial photo below, it looks like pedestrian traffic from the Skyliner will share the walkway with Guests getting off the parking tram, and coming from what looks to be future handicapped parking. Looks like they'll all be using the existing bag check.
DpbOAoyUUAAilm-.jpg

Looking at the aerial photo below, it looks like pedestrian traffic from the Skyliner will share the walkway with Guests getting off the parking tram, and coming from what looks to be future handicapped parking. Looks like they'll all be using the existing bag check.
DpbOAoyUUAAilm-.jpg
The security checks at DHS are supposed to getting a more improved permanent spot. All the parks will eventually get that.

The security checks at DHS are supposed to getting a more improved permanent spot. All the parks will eventually get that.
Ok, but you've still got Guests from 3 different modes all disembarking in the same area. They can't all be inside security. Plus, the walkway between the bus stops and the Skyliner doesn't look large enough to have a bag check between the 2.

Ok, but you've still got Guests from 3 different modes all disembarking in the same area. They can't all be inside security. Plus, the walkway between the bus stops and the Skyliner doesn't look large enough to have a bag check between the 2.
It’s not really any different than MK. I said rumor as well not that it is happening. You can have a boat bag check near the boat dock, a separate bus/parking bag check and then Skyliner inside the bubble. If they want to do it that way they can. I never said they will be doing it that way.

It’s not really any different than MK. I said rumor as well not that it is happening. You can have a boat bag check near the boat dock, a separate bus/parking bag check and then Skyliner inside the bubble. If they want to do it that way they can. I never said they will be doing it that way.
I think if they handle it like MK it will improve traffic flow and at IG they can always move the security to the bottom of the bridge and those that come in on the friendship boat can be screened like how they handle the resort boats at MK.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter